ADVERTISEMENT

Make a 6 game schedule

Solid Snake Pliskin

Nov 3, 2019
Edgy said to expect a 6 week schedule and 3 game playoff. If conferences don't get involved this could be interesting.

Could Rochester schedule East St. Louis?
Montini against Nazareth?
Glenbard West play top of the hill with JCA?
Joliet Central hook up with Proviso West?

Edgy said to expect a 6 week schedule and 3 game playoff. If conferences don't get involved this could be interesting.

It would be interesting, for sure. But I suspect some Conferences will mandate in conference only so they can still crown a Conference Champ. WSS can play all 6 games in conference, as there are 7 teams - OPRF, York, DGN, HC, GW, PW, LT

Reactions: Gene K.
It would be interesting, for sure. But I suspect some Conferences will mandate in conference only so they can still crown a Conference Champ. WSS can play all 6 games in conference, as there are 7 teams - OPRF, York, DGN, HC, GW, PW, LT

You need 7 weeks to play every game in a 7 team conference. There is a bye every week.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
You need 7 weeks to play every game in a 7 team conference. There is a bye every week.
My bad... you are right. I still maintain the WSC will want everyone to play in the conference.

Based on general geography and conference. I’d like to see Oswego play:

neuqua valley
Oswego East
Batavia
Plainfield north
Minooka
Benet
West aurora, prefer East Aurora, but that’s personal

Reactions: Solid Snake Pliskin
I'd like to see MC play

Rita
Marist
Rice
Laurence
JCA
De La Salle

Keep it local and renew a Carmelite Battle with JCA.

This would be a good year for JC-MC to hook up after a 13 year layoff. Both should be good.

my ideal 6 for JC....
MC
PC
Morris
Montini
Naz
SHG or Joliet West or Lockport or Minooka

but I believe ignatius, marmion, and fenwick will be taking up half the schedule as they are all in the same league. So hopefully they fill the other three dates with a few top programs or traditional rivals.

If JCA would not renew with SR I doubt they would volunteer to play MC.
You might look at it that way. But the Indiana team they picked up in their place has every bit the pedigree of Rita. Hard to read it as a “dodging a good opponent” when they went and did that. It’s not like they denied them so they could schedule a weak sister.

I’m not sure why they didn’t re-up. My personal thought is that it’s perhaps because JC saw Rita as a potential (likely?) Opponent deep in the 5A playoffs and wanted to avoid that. Kind of like an “I would rather play LWE or Loyola than Rita or montini because we won’t have to play one of the first two again.” Could be wrong, that was just my thought on why they did that.

I don't understand why they can't cut out the 1st 3 games which most likely are 2 non conference anyway, and play the season. Am I understanding that individual schools have to set a schedule???
Conference champ goes to playoffs and if they need a few extra teams they go to points?? Am I missing something or was there an announcement on this somewhere??

Reactions: Alexander32
Assuming they do it by conference here's what I see happening.

All conferences...use last year's conference standings for crossover games.

Mix and match conferences based on number...I used 1 example for each

6 team conference (DVC)
Play all 5 other teams and 1 home and home based on last year's standings 1-2, 3-4, 5-6

7 team conference (Southland)
Play 5 of 6 other teams...last year's conference champ gets to play all 6....teams that don't play...2-7, 3-6, 4-5 have a bye one week and need to find a game

8 team conference (DuKane)
Play 6 of 7 teams...teams that don't play 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5

9 team conference (None in Chicagoland...maybe downstate?)

Top 3 Play 6 of 9 teams...4-9 play 5 games need to find a 6th...I think that works

10 team conference no divisons (Fox Valley)
Create 2 divisions of schools 1-5 and 6-10...follow next model

10 team conference 2 divisions (SWSC)
Blue and Red play their division schedule and 2 crossovers...1-2 crossover against each other for 2 games, 3-5 play 2 of 3 crossover games against each other

11 team conference (Big Twelve)
Find a 12th team this year and live up to the name and see below

12 team conference (Southwest Prairie)
East and West play their division schedule...1 crossover...1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6

13 team conference (Metro Suburban)
Treat each division as a separate 7 and 6 team conference and follow those rules

14 team conference (West Suburban)
Gold and Silver plays 5 of 7 division games, division games that don't happen 1-6, 2-5, 3-4 and 1 crossover...1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6 7th place teams play 6 of 7 divison games and no 7-7 crossover

CCL-ESCC
3 divison games and either (A) 3 crossovers based on historical rivalries or (B) 3 crossovers based on conference standings...Blue/Green, Orange/White, Purple/Red...1 doesn't play 4, 2 doesn't play 3...everyone else crosses over.

Way to use your imagination. Is there not anyone outside of the Silver and traditional foe WWS that you want to see?
Sorry missed the boat on that. I do like playing traditional rivals. With the way the WSC schedule works you only get 1 non conference game. For years that was WWS so they would need to be on the schedule. Most teams have an opponent they always seem to run into in the playoffs but with the Hitters bouncing from 7A north and south before seeding and with 8A always being seeded since they bumped up, the only team in that category would be Lake Zurich. The Glendale Heights kids went to jr high with players on Glenbard North so add them to the schedule. Lots of Glenbard South kids play for the Eagles with GW kids in Bill George so add them. Some GE kids go to Montini so let’s add them.
Here is the revised schedule
WWS
Glenbard North
Glenbard South
Lake Zurich
Montini
Hinsdale Central

Sorry missed the boat on that. I do like playing traditional rivals. With the way the WSC schedule works you only get 1 non conference game. For years that was WWS so they would need to be on the schedule. Most teams have an opponent they always seem to run into in the playoffs but with the Hitters bouncing from 7A north and south before seeding and with 8A always being seeded since they bumped up, the only team in that category would be Lake Zurich. The Glendale Heights kids went to jr high with players on Glenbard North so add them to the schedule. Lots of Glenbard South kids play for the Eagles with GW kids in Bill George so add them. Some GE kids go to Montini so let’s add them.
WWS
Glenbard North
Glenbard South
Lake Zurich
Montini
Hinsdale Central
Now we're talking. I want JCA/GBW personally. Power run vs power run.

This would be a good year for JC-MC to hook up after a 13 year layoff. Both should be good.

my ideal 6 for JC....
MC
PC
Morris
Montini
Naz
SHG or Joliet West or Lockport or Minooka

but I believe ignatius, marmion, and fenwick will be taking up half the schedule as they are all in the same league. So hopefully they fill the other three dates with a few top programs or traditional rivals.

All.... Cyclone fans would love an invitation for something like that. An equitable distribution of home and away games would have to be worked out as it applies to SHG. Ratsy

what's the obsession of rochester playing esl???? and i'm not just talking about you.

i've known derek for a looooong time. this will be one of his smallest teams sizewise at rochester. i'm pretty sure he doesn't want to play esl. granted he wouldn't back down if they'd happen to meet up.

and for what it's worth, rochester is a much more disciplined team than what i've seen out the few esl games i've seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketnation
what's the obsession of rochester playing esl???? and i'm not just talking about you.

i've known derek for a looooong time. this will be one of his smallest teams sizewise at rochester. i'm pretty sure he doesn't want to play esl. granted he wouldn't back down if they'd happen to meet up.

and for what it's worth, rochester is a much more disciplined team then what i've seen out the few esl games i've seen.
The size comment is 100% correct. The 2019 team was bigger than most. 3 of the starting OL/DL last year, who were all 2 year starters, were 250 lbs or more and Koerwitz was around 285. This was a major asset in the 5a playoffs. His biggest lineman in the spring will be in the 235-240 range.

Lots of skill players to work with but the smaller and less experienced OL/DL the main reason I’d hoped Rochester would fall back to 4a in 2020.

Reactions: net-se and Gene K.
Question will likely be, how sticky will the "regional" games in the state rules be interpreted? Sure, the Chicagoland big boys might want a piece of ESL, but that's about as non-regional as we can get...

and for what it's worth, rochester is a much more disciplined team then what i've seen out the few esl games i've seen.

I'm always glad to be shown wrong. I don't think I can quantify how impressed I was after seeing the Rockets vs Rita. That opens a whole range of possibilities in my mind. If you can beat Rita like a drum then no team is out of bounds regardless of class.

That said ESL is one class higher as of last year, so it's not a mismatch. There's just games that I want to see. What else is there as intriguing that hasn't been done?

I also would have loved to see last year's Warren D vs ESL O.

I'd like MC to play at least the following five teams:

Loyola
ESL
Naz
JC
LWE

That would just about do it, a clean sweep.
JCA has a very good team this year (if they get to play) BUT I would think beating MC this year would be more like a Herculean effort even for a very good team with all of MC's returning talent.

I would love to see it happen though. :)

I would love to see OPRF finally meet Fenwick on the gridiron. The Oak Park-River Forest community would be buzzing about this crosstown matchup; it's been a long time since the Huskies and Friars met in football.

That game - along with the West Suburban Silver teams - would make for a nice schedule for OPRF.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
Just make it everyone's schedule weeks 4-9. Nothing will be without flaws and this is already done.

Reactions: kpjasion

and for what it's worth, rochester is a much more disciplined team than what i've seen out the few esl games i've seen.

So was PR. At least that was the narrative before the game.

WWS
Glenbard North
Glenbard South
Lake Zurich
Montini
Hinsdale Central

Nice lineup. Unfortunately the WSC would never go for it; too wrapped up in their ways. From a Willowbrook standpoint I’d like to see this homage to the defunct Des Plaines Valley Conf:

Leyden (East and west were separate then)
Morton (West was the DPVC member then)
Proviso West
Palatine
Maine South
DGS

or possibly this lineup of close by public schools:

Glenbard East
York
Glenbard South
Fenton
Lake Park
Proviso West

but I’m sure it will be 5 of the WSC Gold teams and a crossover, because the WSC is unoriginal.

Makes the most sense. Why would this not be adopted as the plan?

Because it makes the most sense. Of course there will be a handful of teams with out of state games those weeks but they will have to suck it up and play someone else who is open near them.

I think it has to be some sort of district model to make the most sense and have any sort of fair playoff.

However For Naz I would like to see
Montini
Benet
Fenwick
LT
JCA
Willowbrook

Back in the 1970s in the day of the Northwest Suburban Conference and North Suburban Conference you had to be the Champion to earn the playoff spot and there were only two "wildcard" teams per Class.

Go old school and may the best team in each Conference win!

I feel like Batavia should be in here somewhere
Definitely a top team but wanted to get some rivalry games (SR, JCA, BR & LA) on there. And even though I’d assume no fans, always liked GW field and atmosphere so I added it on the end.

ADVERTISEMENT