ADVERTISEMENT

LWE @ LA

I told him that stuff would be frowned on!!
I texted him the next day with a page full of crickets

He didn’t answer for two days!!

Now I’m gonna suggest this 6-3 Rambler team is special! Reminds me of another team in 2016 that went 6-3, not to mention how lopsided the bracket was on this side this year.

I’m starting to think I can now retire PROkie now that more kids have gotten to run on Hollywood’s field and Hopefully will not be vilified by the holy bunch for doing so!

Haha. I will give the LWE people credit, they showed up on here after the game today took their lumps.

Reactions: Gene K. and PRokie
No title was won today at any level. It takes a great team to beat LWE and MSouth in two weekends. Too many weird plays to count for LWE today and will be a coulda, shoulda couple of days. Still proud of the entire LWE program and students making an impact in less than 20 years of competition. Maine South wins titles as well as being a top tier program. Can Loyola win next week?

I have been saying all year that the only team that could beat East, was East. Not today!
East was beat by a well coached team that executed their game plan to perfection. Great game Ramblers. I wish you nothing but the best.
JCREWX7 is signing out. GO BLUE!!

Not just well coached, but, extremely and properly "well" coached.

Reactions: spinbaby
SOME have
PRokie...I know my day sucked when the highlight of the day was meeting MS4Ever and gang. You hate to see the day when your best team effort is not exhibited on the field for a multitude of reasons. I have to thank all the LWE community for another season of memories and over two seasons having the best record in 8A. It won’t help with the pain, but the list of achievements this group had was fantastic. Good luck to Loyola moving on. ( Just kidding on the MS references. You guys know football.)

What a helluva game!! Can't say enough, about both teams. A nail biter to the end. Two long 4th down conversions on the last drive? Wow, best game I have ever been at.

The # of mistakes compounded for LWE. Two or three missed TD passes...One was caught from behind that easily could/should have been a TD and resulted in a FG...missed extra point...inexplicable shanked punt hitting an East player who was staring at it as it hit him...

And I am sure the coaches will see some glaring mistakes in their own efforts. This is NOT to take away from Loyola. Loyola made some of these things happen. But the loss is going to sit hard for the players and coaches because they will readily conclude that it was not their best effort.

But those players and coaches have an opportunity to learn...not just about football, but life. Football is a microcosm of life's journey. That is one reason it is so compelling.

Yea, mistakes were made, on both sides, it's HS football. Loyola took advantage of two LWE mistakes big time, but LWE had a pick 6, so it all ended up being a very exciting game. Will be watching it again on Comcast for sure. Also, thanks to ramblinman for suggestion to park on Laramie, couldn't have worked out better. I have to say the Loyola crowd shows up late, we arrived probably 25 minutes before kick-off and got excellent seats on the top row, but it filled in by game time.

I thought at mid season some posters were stating Loyola is no good and LWE was the best team of all time in the history of the state.

Hmmmmmm.
John Holecek was quoted saying that “we are not very good”. I thought Ignazio straightened you out a few weeks ago. They were not a good football at the 6 week mark. Great programs / coaches learn from their mistakes. Also, LA got healthy.

Solid - no where near packed on the LA side and there were still seats on the visitors side as well. HS football is still a Friday Night game.

Not a LWE “fan” but became an admirer watching their success this year and witnessing them dismantle our team in round 1. I definitely didn’t see any team beating them this year and made that opinion well known on this board. Congrats to a well respected Loyola team on doing the unthinkable. Ramblers seemed to become stronger and better at just the right time and caught the juggernaut on a day when things didn’t go well. Definitely reminded me that anyone can be beaten no matter how good we think they are.

I found the banter this season to be both fun and informative. Hope LWE fans stick around and keep posting. Best of luck to Rambler fans next week.

Last edited:
Bowie 50: Remember "no bueno". I posted 4 or 5 weeks ago that I thought Loyola might go on a winning streak and to never count them out. Still feel the same way but this championship game against BR will be for all the marbles. After Loyola and Montini were absolutely crushed by BR during the regular season I felt that both teams needed a big time score against them to get their heads in the right place. Sometimes losing big has a way of getting a chip on your shoulders and both teams have continued to win despite the CCL Blue being down this year!

Reactions: IgorStL and LAguy
I told him that stuff would be frowned on!!
I texted him the next day with a page full of crickets

He didn’t answer for two days!!

Now I’m gonna suggest this 6-3 Rambler team is special! Reminds me of another team in 2016 that went 6-3, not to mention how lopsided the bracket was on this side this year.

I’m starting to think I can now retire PROkie now that more kids have gotten to run on Hollywood’s field and Hopefully will not be vilified by the holy bunch for doing so!
Dude, you got to move on with the whole ru field thing.
Bowie 50: Remember "no bueno". I posted 4 or 5 weeks ago that I thought Loyola might go on a winning streak and to never count them out. Still feel the same way but this championship game against BR will be for all the marbles. After Loyola and Montini were absolutely crushed by BR during the regular season I felt that both teams needed a big time score against them to get their heads in the right place. Sometimes losing big has a way of getting a chip on your shoulders and both teams have continued to win despite the CCL Blue being down this year!
very proud of these Ramblers and couldn’t be happier how dead wrong I was. Isn’t the first time and won’t be the last

I’ve been watching Loyola football for over 30 years and this is now my favorite LA team.

Dude, you got to move on with the whole ru field thing.

very proud of these Ramblers and couldn’t be happier how dead wrong I was. Isn’t the first time and won’t be the last

I’ve been watching Loyola football for over 30 years and this is now my favorite LA team.
You like this team more than the 93’ team with all the injuries we overcame? My feelings are hurt.

Kidding, I’m with you on this. I did not expect this team to go this far. This group has earned its stripes by taking all of the doubts and lumps along the way as motivation to prove that they’re as good as any LA team.

Reactions: Bowie50
You like this team more than the 93’ team with all the injuries we overcame? My feelings are hurt.

Kidding, I’m with you on this. I did not expect this team to go this far. This group has earned its stripes by taking all of the doubts and lumps along the way as motivation to prove that they’re as good as any LA team.

Like East and now LA it won’t mean nothing if they lose the Championship.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
You’re a glass half empty kinda guy, aren’t you? That’s cool. LWE had an awesome season. Statistically, one if the best ILHS football teams in history. those boys will look back fondly on the season in the years to come regardless what the outcome was.

Reactions: jcrewx7 and Bwm57
This we know all to well. LA is 2-7 all-time in the finals. 92(L), 93(W), 11(L), 13(L), 15(W), 16(L), 17(L).

Seeing past teams that got this far, I did not think this team was as good. Then they lost 3 games including a blowout to BR and I was just hopeful for a decent showing in the playoffs.

That team was special.

One difference between this year's game and the '17 State Championship game between these same 2 teams appears to have been AJ Henning. In DeKalb, he was on the shelf until toward the end, when he igniteded the comeback. No such magic was available yesterday and Loyola's fine play forced that to be necessary. In particular, their secondary closely contested/defended so many throws that were wide open much of this season.

Reactions: Gene K.
LWE will absolutely be back. At this point, they just reload. As I see it the formula for sustained success, great coaches ✅, players that know what it takes and willing to put in the work ✅, lower level development ✅, some talent ✅, dogs in the trenches ✅.

Can’t win them all but I have no doubt they will be in the hunt for a while.

Agreed - not having Henning at full speed hurt them ....but he will be back as he is junior I believe? Great game and fun to be at. Best game at LA since the 1/4 finals against HF a couple of years ago. Congrats to LWE on the season - great program and team ! I would like to continue to thank Chi Town Chugger ( who has mysteriously gone AWOL from the board??? ) who let us in on the secret of bringing the band to games when we play special teams ! We'll see if that works against BR at State.....they are a pretty special team as well ! It will be a battle !

With LWE and Loyola, the margin of error has to be zero in order to win. In the championship last year, Loyola had LWE on the ropes but didn't get the breaks at the right times. Flash forward to this year, and the football gods just didn't give it to LWE.

I hate talking what ifs, but the dropped handoff for a TD was crazy. The punt bouncing off the player was crazy. LWE receiver not scoring on the trick play before halftime only lead to a FG after their best receiver dropped a TD in the endzone. Not expecting a HS kicker to make a 46 yarder, but it hits the upright. Crazy INT that was kicked up back to Loyola.

For LWE to still have a shot at a tie on the last play of the game speaks volumes on how good they were, because most teams can't survive a 4 turnover game in the semifinals. This LWE team legitimately could have been the best team in Illinois history, and I don't think they should be left out of future conversations completely.

With LWE and Loyola, the margin of error has to be zero in order to win. In the championship last year, Loyola had LWE on the ropes but didn't get the breaks at the right times. Flash forward to this year, and the football gods just didn't give it to LWE.

I hate talking what ifs, but the dropped handoff for a TD was crazy. The punt bouncing off the player was crazy. LWE receiver not scoring on the trick play before halftime only lead to a FG after their best receiver dropped a TD in the endzone. Not expecting a HS kicker to make a 46 yarder, but it hits the upright. Crazy INT that was kicked up back to Loyola.

For LWE to still have a shot at a tie on the last play of the game speaks volumes on how good they were, because most teams can't survive a 4 turnover game in the semifinals. This LWE team legitimately could have been the best team in Illinois history, and I don't think they should be left out of future conversations completely.
Agreed

Now you know how I felt after the title game last year. LA outperformed LWE in many of the offensive stats, but they couldn't convert that performance into enough points to win.

Agreed with Eastfan9 and Ramblinman in content completely for the scope here. There were many strange factors that went into this game with playing time and injuries dictating who was on the field for the Griffins...and i don’t care to know. My one question is why AJ was on the field playing hurt and last year why Morrissey played as long as he did with an ankle issue as well. One year it worked for East this year it did not. Great efforts from both squads Saturday. I am looking forward to the future of the LWE program.

You’re a glass half empty kinda guy, aren’t you? That’s cool. LWE had an awesome season. Statistically, one if the best ILHS football teams in history. those boys will look back fondly on the season in the years to come regardless what the outcome was.

Not at all. Bottom line the goal is to win State. They had a great season no doubt, but not winning the Championship doesn’t get them in the books like 2005 or 2017 teams.

Not at all. Bottom line the goal is to win State. They had a great season no doubt, but not winning the Championship doesn’t get them in the books like 2005 or 2017 teams.
I watched the game replayed on Comcast and was at the game. Ritter dropping the pass hitting him in the numbers was not a result of the defense. East had 10 men on the field for a punt (first time all year I believe) and had to call time out...which could have helped at the end of the game was another lapse; The bad snap on the extra point was self inflicted; the punt hitting a guy watching the ball all the way to hitting him..

From a coaching perspective, Holecek had the ends crashing on the read "option" hand off...and East coaches never once told the QB to keep the ball to keep the ends honest...NOT ONCE. "Option" was put in quotes because I did not see an option. Holecek found the weak spot in the secondary and kept after it...kudos go to LA staff.

Now, in retrospect, do I *think* LWE would win 8 out of 10 times these teams would play? Probably...no way to really find out and just musing on a HS football board. Might the problem be East made these errors because of confronting a tense game for the first time in 13 games? Maybe so.

I also did not dissect LA mistakes with a fine tooth comb on the replay. I said it early on that I thought anything short of a state title for this team would make the season feel empty...but life is filled with moments of exaltation and sorrow. A great game for fans...

I hope LA does not suffer a let down after the game and finish the season.

[QUOTE=".

Now, in retrospect, do I *think* LWE would win 8 out of 10 times these teams would play? Probably...
.[/QUOTE]

If I said something like this about my team, my lifeless, bound body would be found at the bottom of the Chicago River. And the police would have plenty of suspects.

Happy Thanksgiving, boys!

ADVERTISEMENT