ADVERTISEMENT

LWE @ LA

MS4EVER

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2004
Who do I cheer for? My 8 year old said to me when I got home today “I’m sorry you lost to Loyola maybe Lincoln will beat them next week”. Hoping to see the game at LA next week. Anyone wanna hook up for pregame?

I think LWE has seen this before. This time LWE has a superb passing game and they still have AJ Henning...

Top coaching match ul of the year? Interesting thing about Z, I've seen him successfully employ all sorts of winning styles.

MS4EVER:

Who do I cheer for?

Loyalty is supposed to run both ways.

Well, I'd like to think the fact I often throw my support behind the Hawks in many different ways would inspire some allegiance, but obviously I'm wrong here.

My 8 year old said to me when I got home today “I’m sorry you lost to Loyola maybe Lincoln will beat them next week”.

What kind of brainwashing goes on in your household?

I once thought a degree of collegiality existed between us; however, you have revealed yourself to be an arch-betraying Judas.

Don’t be such a doubting Thomas. I was just hoping for some help from the board.

Reactions: Bowie50
LA's defense will keep them in it for longer than most LWE games this year. But, it doesn't seem like LA's offense has enough against a very good LWE defense. The Ramblers will need to limit the turnovers to keep it close. It's in Wilmette, though, which makes it more interesting. From a distance, this Loyola team is very difficult to figure. I still can't believe they needed OT to beat Ignatius.

LA's defense will keep them in it for longer than most LWE games this year. But, it doesn't seem like LA's offense has enough against a very good LWE defense. The Ramblers will need to limit the turnovers to keep it close. It's in Wilmette, though, which makes it more interesting. From a distance, this Loyola team is very difficult to figure. I still can't believe they needed OT to beat Ignatius.
I think it was Fallon’s first game back. Takes time to rebuild strength when you dislocate your throwing shoulder. The O-line is coming together. Gavric and Cabanban are hitting holes much more quickly. What’s most surprising is the resergence despite not having our top offensive weapon all season. Noah Jones hasn’t played a down this year. Jones and Boos spread out on either side. Pick your poison. Hopefully Jones is back next week. It would help a bit.

Loyola’s two best receivers have played all year. Ask any coach on staff and they will tell you that Boos and Collins had great summers and Artie would be on the field regardless of Noah’s availability from week 1. Noah is a great kid that has/had D1 potential but his hamstrings have been an issue all 4 years and for his sake needed to be addressed in a more serious way. I would go on a limb and say he’s played MAYBE somewhere between 15-20 HS games in all 4 years. Everything he has had to endure as a spectator throughout must be nothing short of utter disappointment for him personally but the program had to move on long ago. And guys like Artie, MaMa (Matty Mangan) and Lombardi have stepped up to fulfill hopes of a productive season for the receiving corp.

This years offense has not been nearly as consistent as years past, except for the NT game, regardless of which guys have played. No excuses to be made. The kids work hard, play hard and everything else just like everyone else but all the pieces and or intangibles haven’t been there. The program is a year or two away from having a Weaver, Pujals, Penn, Clifford or Boyle at QB, guys who were absolute game changers with their abilities and/or decision making and gave D coordinators more than they wanted to plan for each week. The O-line has had a lot learn as well.

Here’s the thing to be most proud of going into this week and regardless of the outcome. This team, especially the QBs have been unbelievably resilient! We really haven’t known what to expect except that the D will do what they do and keep games close (BR game excluded). The offense is doing enough to win. This team was disappointing as favorites early on but surprisingly good as underdogs as of late. Fallon and co. didn’t fold when things looked bad.

Clearly they’ve overcome some doubts and cannot be entirely counted out. That said, they’ve got a tall order this week but I’m sure they wouldn’t want it any other way than to be underdogs playing arguably the best team in the state and the team that beat them in the Championship last year. They will have to play the best game of their lives. It’s a lot to ask but if we know anything at this point, it’s that no one really knows this team or what they are capable of.

That’s my 2nd rant on my Ramblers this year and will be the last. I’ve gone over my annual quota.

Good luck to both sides this week and hope that both teams remain healthy!

Loyola’s two best receivers have played all year. Ask any coach on staff and they will tell you that Boos and Collins had great summers and Artie would be on the field regardless of Noah’s availability from week 1. Noah is a great kid that has/had D1 potential but his hamstrings have been an issue all 4 years and for his sake needed to be addressed in a more serious way. I would go on a limb and say he’s played MAYBE somewhere between 15-20 HS games in all 4 years. Everything he has had to endure as a spectator throughout must be nothing short of utter disappointment for him personally but the program had to move on long ago. And guys like Artie, MaMa (Matty Mangan) and Lombardi have stepped up to fulfill hopes of a productive season for the receiving corp.

This years offense has not been nearly as consistent as years past, except for the NT game, regardless of which guys have played. No excuses to be made. The kids work hard, play hard and everything else just like everyone else but all the pieces and or intangibles haven’t been there. The program is a year or two away from having a Weaver, Pujals, Penn, Clifford or Boyle at QB, guys who were absolute game changers with their abilities and/or decision making and gave D coordinators more than they wanted to plan for each week. The O-line has had a lot learn as well.

Here’s the thing to be most proud of going into this week and regardless of the outcome. This team, especially the QBs have been unbelievably resilient! We really haven’t known what to expect except that the D will do what they do and keep games close (BR game excluded). The offense is doing enough to win. This team was disappointing as favorites early on but surprisingly good as underdogs as of late. Fallon and co. didn’t fold when things looked bad.

Clearly they’ve overcome some doubts and cannot be entirely counted out. That said, they’ve got a tall order this week but I’m sure they wouldn’t want it any other way than to be underdogs playing arguably the best team in the state and the team that beat them in the Championship last year. They will have to play the best game of their lives. It’s a lot to ask but if we know anything at this point, it’s that no one really knows this team or what they are capable of.

That’s my 2nd rant on my Ramblers this year and will be the last. I’ve gone over my annual quota.

Good luck to both sides this week and hope that both teams remain healthy!
As a Rambler alumnus I am extremely proud of these boys. They never quit. Would be nice to have Jones out there, though.

Last edited:
Dude, LA is a huge underdog. LWE is the class of the state. I hope my Ramblers can keep it close. Regardless, appearances in 9 out of last 10 semis is a great accomplishment.
9 out of 10 is a tremendous achievement!

Reactions: Videosurfer
I think LWE has seen this before. This time LWE has a superb passing game and they still have AJ Henning...

LA has seen this before also. Bring it on. Hope both teams bring their A games.

Last edited:
LA has seen this before also. Bring it on. Hope both teams bring their A games.

So I agree with both Ramblinman & LWeastDad

I think this has the making of a very good game @ LA. I have been thinking about the match up and agree with a lot of the posters when it comes to LA.
Meaning what team will we see this weekend? We have seen East and they have been consistent so far this year. East is the favorite and rightfully so but you never know how teams match up. That being said here are a few things to think about.
Loyola was considered down this year? Many believe last years Loyola team was better? LA lost to East in the State Championship game last year although it was a good game. East is considered even better this year than last year? If all this is true and I don’t know it is, how does everyone feel this game will go down? I think East will prevail but it might be closer than the GBW or Edwardsville games were and I am sure LA @ home will bring their “A” game.

So I agree with both Ramblinman & LWeastDad

I think this has the making of a very good game @ LA. I have been thinking about the match up and agree with a lot of the posters when it comes to LA.
Meaning what team will we see this weekend? We have seen East and they have been consistent so far this year. East is the favorite and rightfully so but you never know how teams match up. That being said here are a few things to think about.
Loyola was considered down this year? Many believe last years Loyola team was better? LA lost to East in the State Championship game last year although it was a good game. East is considered even better this year than last year? If all this is true and I don’t know it is, how does everyone feel this game will go down? I think East will prevail but it might be closer than the GBW or Edwardsville games were and I am sure LA @ home will bring their “A” game.
LWE is a very good team that is well coached. They are hailed as perhaps an all time great team. So by that supposition, LA doesn't stand a chance. Just remember that last years state finalist team was also a huge underdog and played in that game with their 4th string rb and lost their all world safety early in the game to injury. Their only option was to pass the ball but yet were 2 dropped passes away , one a vertical go pattern and the other in the end zone from putting a dagger in LWEast's heart. Those things happen in games and LWE was deserving of the win. No one from LA was crying or making excuses. The mindset though this year is that they are clicking as a cohesive take no prisoners team. If they play the game they are capable of and prevent costly turnovers they will be just fine.

Any tips on the parking situation at Loyola? Thanks.

If you don't like to walk a few blocks, get there early, and be prepared to wait a while for the lot to empty after the game.

If you don't mind the walk, there is on street parking on Laramie south of Lake. That's what I always do. After the game, I hop in my car and off I go.

Reactions: Iamjaytee
If you don't like to walk a few blocks, get there early, and be prepared to wait a while for the lot to empty after the game.

If you don't mind the walk, there is on street parking on Laramie south of Lake. That's what I always do. After the game, I hop in my car and off I go.
Thank you!

I feel like LA will be fired up at home and get the first score at home and hang around into the middle of the 2nd Q but eventually LWE does what they always do and blow it wide open.. The team is just too good to lose this season in my opinion.. LWE 42-17

It's a great LA bar! Also, there is Hackney's on Harms and Stormy's in Northbrook. Lots of maroon and gold at these joints. If you are looking for a unique breakfast place head to Sarkis and get yourself a disaster sandwich.
I am going to look that up, thank you! Kappys is an old tradition for us. My Dad was the stage manager at the old Mill Run Theater, great memories! But never can pass up a new breakfast place!

Reactions: LAguy and Bowie50
I am going to look that up, thank you! Kappys is an old tradition for us. My Dad was the stage manager at the old Mill Run Theater, great memories! But never can pass up a new breakfast place!
You will love Sarkis! It's a New Trier, Evanston and LA go to place for breakfast. All of the LA folks will be very hospitable. Wilmette is a great place to watch HS football on a Saturday afternoon. Every year there is talk about why LA doesn't have lights (I will spare you the local politics), but I love the Saturday afternoon tradition. Win or lose, I know that LA fans will treat the Griffins like gracious hosts. AMDG my brother!

Reactions: LAguy and Iamjaytee
LWE last year won with a one legged Running QB if we want excuses? There that is out there for the sandbagging. If the friendly folks at LA could advise parking as per the above request that would be great! Can’t thank the GBW folks enough for all of their help earlier. Us poor South suburbanites need all the help we can rubbing elbows with the Pritzkers.

Last edited:
LWE last year won with a one legged Running QB if we want excuses? There that is out there for the sandbagging. If the friendly folks at LA could advise parking as per the above request that would be great! Can’t thank the GBW folks enough for all of their help earlier. Us poor South suburbanites need all the help we can rubbing elbows with the Pritzkers.
Nobody was making excuses and no one referred to anyone as "poor". Stirring the pot is nonsense. This game does not need the hype. Good luck to the kids that are competing Saturday! Hopefully all stay healthy. Fantastic achievement for both squads making it here again this year!

Reactions: Gene K.
You will love Sarkis! It's a New Trier, Evanston and LA go to place for breakfast. All of the LA folks will be very hospitable. Wilmette is a great place to watch HS football on a Saturday afternoon. Every year there is talk about why LA doesn't have lights (I will spare you the local politics), but I love the Saturday afternoon tradition. Win or lose, I know that LA fans will treat the Griffins like gracious hosts. AMDG my brother!
Your Sister! Academy of the Sacred Heart, Sheridan Road ‘89

Reactions: LAguy
[all true but their defense rocks. Can't win w/o defense they shut the running games down.

QUOTE="LAguy, post: 182931, member: 5538"]Loyola’s two best receivers have played all year. Ask any coach on staff and they will tell you that Boos and Collins had great summers and Artie would be on the field regardless of Noah’s availability from week 1. Noah is a great kid that has/had D1 potential but his hamstrings have been an issue all 4 years and for his sake needed to be addressed in a more serious way. I would go on a limb and say he’s played MAYBE somewhere between 15-20 HS games in all 4 years. Everything he has had to endure as a spectator throughout must be nothing short of utter disappointment for him personally but the program had to move on long ago. And guys like Artie, MaMa (Matty Mangan) and Lombardi have stepped up to fulfill hopes of a productive season for the receiving corp.

Good luck to both sides this week and hope that both teams remain healthy![/QUOTE]

Reactions: Gene K.
Thanks for that tip! We were really hoping to go to Kappy’s in Niles for breakfast beforehand, but winter sports pics are that morning, and I have another kid...
Kappy’s is great breakfast spot! The owner is an LA alum so I dig the call. Meier’s is family friendly, if you are interested in pregaming conservatively and only about 2-3 blocks west of LA on Lake st.

ADVERTISEMENT