ADVERTISEMENT

LWE football to take a hit?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...a-lincolnway-consolidation-st-0525-story.html

How many youth wildcat or burro players want to suddenly play for 161 high school and random coach vs LWE and coach Z?

One of the dumbest ideas I've come across lately. All because a group of 10-15 people want north open badly and they lost the last spring board of Ed elections?

Have you read the proposal? Do you pay taxes in the district? What if the proposal could ease overcrowding at East? What if it could put the North facility back into use? What if the proposal could ease the tax burden on the District and improve the District's finances? Would it be so dumb then? The purpose of high school is not to churn out football players or state championship teams. Why don't you educate yourself on the subject and come back here before spouting off.

Have you read the proposal? Do you pay taxes in the district? What if the proposal could ease overcrowding at East? What if it could put the North facility back into use? What if the proposal could ease the tax burden on the District and improve the District's finances? Would it be so dumb then? The purpose of high school is not to churn out football players or state championship teams. Why don't you educate yourself on the subject and come back here before spouting off.

I do pay taxes in the district. In 161 too. I posted it because it does have relevance to football. And I have read the proposal.

First, the the whole idea of overcrowding is a joke. The average class size went from 30 to 32 when north closed. That is a fact. Yes, there are more students there than central or west. The school can hold 3500 comfortably, it isn't even close to being overcrowded . And numbers from feeders are dropping so in 3-5 years the total will be even more balanced .

Second, the idea that magically the fianances will hold true so that 161 can acquire north for a fraction of the cost and all of a sudden restructure a union contract and bond debt without raising any taxes is laughable .

Third, doing this will damage 161 properties because you're going to have a random, unproven with totally new and separate curriculum as a new high school. With what teachers? Coaches? People are not going to want to leave LW education, and that is what would happen. You ain't LW anymore, you have your own graduation requirements, curriculum, technology...you may say wow that sounds great. Good luck being the guinea pigs getting that off to a trusted start when college application process starts and getting colleges to buy in.

Last, the whole idea of this helping LW is a also a joke. If this happens, LW may get a quick short term influx of cash .But they also lose a chunk of students and tax revenue. Long term it means LW closing another school and shuffling kids again . They won't operate 3 schools with 5000 kids. And that is why this is just a ploy by the same people who filed a lawsuit then campaigned for the slate of 5 . They've been working on this for a year? Hmm, sounds like a year ago is when those elections finished . It is clear this is plan C now. Get the high school back and screw LW long term, get back at them and force them to close a NL school.

Also, what is failed to be mentioned is that 2/3 of the REGISTERED voters in each town have to approve . Not just 2/3 of who votes, but registered voters.

We bought behind home Depot for east . Then north was built which was fine, now we're east again . We're here for LW, not some expirement district for a building . And yeah it matters with football, or any sport or activity, as you prepare and have dreams/goals to play for a certain school or program. This is such a backhanded sham that it's a miracle a committee is even being formed.

A non story. After Lockport West left, rules have been changed so that can never happen again.

I do pay taxes in the district. In 161 too. I posted it because it does have relevance to football. And I have read the proposal.

First, the the whole idea of overcrowding is a joke. The average class size went from 30 to 32 when north closed. That is a fact. Yes, there are more students there than central or west. The school can hold 3500 comfortably, it isn't even close to being overcrowded . And numbers from feeders are dropping so in 3-5 years the total will be even more balanced .

Second, the idea that magically the fianances will hold true so that 161 can acquire north for a fraction of the cost and all of a sudden restructure a union contract and bond debt without raising any taxes is laughable .

Third, doing this will damage 161 properties because you're going to have a random, unproven with totally new and separate curriculum as a new high school. With what teachers? Coaches? People are not going to want to leave LW education, and that is what would happen. You ain't LW anymore, you have your own graduation requirements, curriculum, technology...you may say wow that sounds great. Good luck being the guinea pigs getting that off to a trusted start when college application process starts and getting colleges to buy in.

Last, the whole idea of this helping LW is a also a joke. If this happens, LW may get a quick short term influx of cash .But they also lose a chunk of students and tax revenue. Long term it means LW closing another school and shuffling kids again . They won't operate 3 schools with 5000 kids. And that is why this is just a ploy by the same people who filed a lawsuit then campaigned for the slate of 5 . They've been working on this for a year? Hmm, sounds like a year ago is when those elections finished . It is clear this is plan C now. Get the high school back and screw LW long term, get back at them and force them to close a NL school.

Also, what is failed to be mentioned is that 2/3 of the REGISTERED voters in each town have to approve . Not just 2/3 of who votes, but registered voters.

We bought behind home Depot for east . Then north was built which was fine, now we're east again . We're here for LW, not some expirement district for a building . And yeah it matters with football, or any sport or activity, as you prepare and have dreams/goals to play for a certain school or program. This is such a backhanded sham that it's a miracle a committee is even being formed.

What's wrong with looking into it? I'm sure if it's not feasible it won't go anywhere and your kids won't have to give up the dream of playing football for East. I mean East has a good football program, but it's not the best program in the State. If it wasn' t for a coaching gaffe by the St. Charles East coach in the playoffs, LWE would have been watching the 8A title game like everyone else.

Joliet East tried to do that as a last resort before they closed(and should never have) talk is among many that the school despite opening as a separate would be called Lincoln Way North

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...a-lincolnway-consolidation-st-0525-story.html

How many youth wildcat or burro players want to suddenly play for 161 high school and random coach vs LWE and coach Z?

One of the dumbest ideas I've come across lately. All because a group of 10-15 people want north open badly and they lost the last spring board of Ed elections?

I am sure there are many kids and families who would welcome that. The merger sent many kids who would have started for North into 2nd or 3rd string status at best at the massive East roster. It doesn't matter that east is a great program. An additional school means 22 more starting spots and more opportunities for kids to get out there and compete.

Reactions: Bwm57

I am sure there are many kids and families who would welcome that. The merger sent many kids who would have started for North into 2nd or 3rd string status at best at the massive East roster. It doesn't matter that east is a great program. An additional school means 22 more starting spots and more opportunities for kids to get out there and compete.
What is your definition of many? Almost if not half of the starters were from North. That means that kids from East were pushed back as well. I see life lessons here. Work hard for what you want, regardless of the situation you are put in. Sorry son, but it doesn’t always work out in your favor.

Maybe someone can verify the following:
  • Last season, every All-Conference FB player from LW Central was from the former LW East attendance area, before LW North was closed.
Sorry if this is too far "off-thread."

Maybe someone can verify the following:
  • Last season, every All-Conference FB player from LW Central was from the former LW East attendance area, before LW North was closed.
Sorry if this is too far "off-thread."
That is correct.

Reactions: JCHILLTOPPERS
So, opening another school would save taxpayers money? I would LOVEto see the math on that one. It is a great site for Amazon, though.

The only interesting point of this discussion is that Lincoln-Way North's boundaries were consistent with Summit Hill 161's borders. But as a pragmatic politician, I looked up some facts while considering this thread...

Five elementary districts currently feed into Lincoln Way 210...they are:

Summit Hill 161.....760 junior high kids 7/8 grade
Frankfort 157-C.....593
Mokena 159..........379
Manhattan 114......308
New Lenox 122
..Liberty JH...........682
..Martino...............590

Numbers thanks of IESA website...so the 7/8 grade feeder population for Lincoln Way is 3312 kids...
East currently has 2916 kids, central 2157, west 1898. Total? 7311 kids...current IHSA numbers. Capacities? West & north 2500, east & central 3750.

Projected loss currently: current LW students 7311, 7/8 feeders 3312x2= 6624. Losing 687 students, or more in a shrinking district...

Now, the only numbers I can come up with decently are summit hill/north high school...760x2 is 1520 kids, about 60% of North's capacity, and about 280 fewer students than when North opened in 09. Actually a low number, as enrollment is dropping.

But that leaves Lincoln Way with 10,000 student capacity at East/West/Central and only 2557 7/8 graders, about 5114 students...and dropping. Logistically a new/reopened Summit Hill / North High School likely forces LWW to close.

Strangely enough, from my perspective Lincoln Way was one school until 2000 - IHSA football enrollment 4374 in 99, 4682 in 2000...Central & East 2001 ( C 2977, E 2372) - 2008 (C 3100, E 2686)...2009 E 2330, C 2552, N 1803, W 1272...East was supposedly 4100+students when North & West opened, which would match E + N enrollments for 09. Show you how the year lag in IHSA numbers can greatly effect a school when it is expanding at an insane rate (08 E & C 5786) then 09 ( E W C N 7957)...

The reason I doubt the referendum would fly is simple math, which the presenters try to gloss over. If Summit Hill 161 is to take over LWN property and start its own unit district, it should not be assuming only 23% of the LW 210 debt. What it should be assuming is 100% of the debt related to the LWN property, plus 23% of all other non-property debt of the district. And presumably as part of the referendum they will have to approve a bond issue which will allow the SH 161 to pay off all the debt LW 210 has related to the LWN property, plus the amount to pay off it's 23% of the other...Likewise, LW 210 will need to redo the bonds for LWW, and any left on LWE, and the 77% remaining. I assume the majority of the debt is on LWW and LWN, with nothing bonded on LWC and little remaining on LWE. On top of that, I suspect that the elementary teachers get paid less than the high school teachers and therefore a big salary jump will be in order in Summit Hill 161...

The likelihood of a referendum passing in all of the districts is pretty remote in my view, simply because the other four elementary districts are not likely to close west just so Summit Hill can reopen North. I predict the Manhattan area will likely just bury the concept (the efforts I see from their opposition to a major industrial park on the Elwood/Manhattan border doesn't bode well for closing West to reopen North).

These concepts regularly come up in Kankakee county in recent years. The Pembroke Elementary District, along the state line, often talks of becoming an unit district - separating from the St. Anne High School District, but without a high school building the concept dies for lack of funds. Conversely, the idea of Bradley Bourbonnais HS district consolidating with the three feeder elementary districts is a hot topic every few years, but reality says that a consolidation would likely put the elementary teacher's unions onto the high school's pay scale - the savings of a couple superintendents and administrators salaries will not be close to the expense of the significant jump in pay for all the elementary teachers.

Reactions: penlight
When the housing market exploded Manhattan was going to open Lincoln Way South

LW South would be quite a competitor in the I-8...its enrollment would likely be plummeting like Peotone's...but for now would still be I-8 large...Might have been a better choice than Streator...

LW South would be quite a competitor in the I-8...its enrollment would likely be plummeting like Peotone's...but for now would still be I-8 large...Might have been a better choice than Streator...
Why is the enrollment at Peotone going down? Is the area still not nice?

Why is the enrollment at Peotone going down? Is the area still not nice?

Peotone, when it joined the I-8 with Manteno in the fall of 2002, was 550 kids football enrollment (Manteno was a severely rounded up 479 fb enrollment, actual just under 400 - Plano & Dwight (non-coop) were both actually sub-400 kids then).

The Lincoln Way-Peotone-Manteno-Beecher-Bourbonnais-Bradley area had the biggest impact from the housing boom of the late 90's to 2008. Lincoln Way went from one high school to four in less than 10 years. Peotone built a new high school about 10 years ago (late 60's hs building became ms). Wilmington built a new high school about 10 years ago (71 hs became ms). Manteno did a first addition to the 72 high school in 98 (to 700 kids), and the next in 2004 or so (to 1500); doubled the ms capacity to 1000; built a new elementary in 98, then added on to the new elementary and tore down the 1928 primary building about 2013. Beecher did a big hs addition about 10 years ago. Bourbonnais elementary built a new 5/6 building about 10 years ago...Bradley elementary didn't have to do much, as most of the Bradley new housing was in the St. George elementary district - which did a significant addition about 10 years ago.

Then the housing bubble popped in 2008...Wilmo got up to the 520's, now down to 466. Manteno peaked at 695, down to 651 now. Lincoln Way I discuss above.

Peotone was fb enrollment 670 for 2011, after a couple of 669's. 12- 654; 13- 654; 14- 611; 15- 567; 16- 545; 17- 530. Has the community fallen apart? Not exactly. But the size of the district, with three communities included in it, has had its issues for the school board. For years, Peotone was called the largest (area wise) non-consolidated school district in the state. Is that true? I don't know. But this much I know (went to Peotone elementary for 4 & 5 grade in late 70's): Peotone had three elementary buildings forever. Peotone Elementary was the "big" school, about the size of Wilton Center elementary & Green Garden elementary combined. Green Garden was best known for its country club for years, just east of Rt. 45 south of Frankfort. Green Garden, when the housing boom hit, grew mansions...lots of mansions & horse farmettes (huge tack shop opened a few years ago). Route 52 splits from Rt. 45 and runs straight west to Wilton Center, and at the corner where the school is 52 turns 90 degrees north to Manhattan. Wilton didn't get a lot of development. Peotone added lots of $200-250k houses in traditional subdivisions. Needless to say, it was a lot of "move up" housing.

Peotone, having always been anti-third airport, was always wary of development - thinking that approving subdivisions and commercial development would indicate some sort of third airport approval. So the Green Garden part of the district, south of Frankfort, got mansions approved by the County on 10 acre lots, and has kept their own little elementary school for now...K-6 for a while, then K-5, then K-4 when the new high school opened. Wilton Center, however, didn't get the development any where near as much. Wilton Center, then, when the enrollment started dropping was closed...the howling from that part of the district was deafening. But enrollment continues to drop...I read an editorial a couple of days ago in the Kankakee Daily Journal about the district which indicated total district enrollment is in the 1400's, down from the high in the 2200's. The editorial discusses how one group wants to raise taxes, another group wants to shut down the Green Garden elementary to save money...rut roh...Another group wants to shut down the 5th grade building (former jh, pre-1970 hs...scoreboard clock still has a clock face instead of digital)...There has been little new commercial development in Peotone, and their downtown has become extremely dated...the warehouse developments skipped Peotone for Manteno, Monee, Elwood & Wilmington. More stress results for the taxpaying homeowner, who can't sell their "move up" house at a loss, so the district's residents get older with fewer small kids, so the shrinking enrollment starts in the lower grades...There is no solution to the Peotone vs. the hamlets elementary buildings argument, even though the elementary grades are shrinking first...

This is the background on Peotone's I-8 history, from 550 to 670, back down to 530...

Don’t forget Plainfield which after the Tornado went from 1 high school to 4

Other side of Joliet had similar growth...Plainfield, Oswego, Yorkville...Oswego I understand was worse than LW, in that subdivisions stopped building just as schools were being finished for the kids expected to move in...Yorkville was I-8...Sandwich was more than double Plano's size 20 years ago; now they are both low 700s.

Bwm57....? This will never happen. Wait...SaveLincolnWayNorth Facebook says it will , so.....no this will never happen. Just the obvious union implications alone, and the State of Illinois would prevent this going forward, but dreaming is a great psychological tool. Coach Z replaced players that shifted to Central with the LWN group, who are now a majority if you want to keep that train of nonsense going and melded the two groups into a championship. It is time to move on and let’s just call it LWE again. It really is a blessing that Coach Z and many others of the staff have chosen to stay in the community as a coaching team. Ann Jenkins have at it.

Reactions: sporthog9er
What's wrong with looking into it? I'm sure if it's not feasible it won't go anywhere and your kids won't have to give up the dream of playing football for East. I mean East has a good football program, but it's not the best program in the State. If it wasn' t for a coaching gaffe by the St. Charles East coach in the playoffs, LWE would have been watching the 8A title game like everyone else.
HillRock86...The grass field, mud, more mud, and the coaching of the Saints has exactly what to do with the program as a whole at LWE? Luck has granted numerous programs status, and I don’t believe anyone said LWE was the best program in the state, but in the Southland who else is currently as good as LWE? MC will be an interesting road this coming year. Provi, JCA, Sandburg? Maybe H-F but....

Reactions: sporthog9er
What happens if the enrollment nightmare returns? Lets say Trump suddenly decides that the transportation bottleneck in the south suburbs and northern Indiana needs to be fixed. The Illiana Expressway arises from the presumed dead. The Third airport at Peotone (which actually exists now...when the State bought Bult Field, a small commuter airport in the middle of the proposed airport footprint, the airport became reality...they don't need approval for a new airport, just the expansion of Bult) suddenly becomes reality and they start pouring runways. And suddenly Lincoln Way will think that the couple years before North & West opened were slow growth. I wonder what the LWN people would think about having to build another high school just for the Summit Hill district...All those subdivisions which just stopped in 2008 can start up right away and crank out new students in a year...

Of course, if that happens Lincoln Way South in Manhattan would quickly be the size of LWE...Peotone will rue closing any schools...Manteno will get to use its new 180 acre school site it bought about 12 years ago...

What happens if the enrollment nightmare returns? Lets say Trump suddenly decides that the transportation bottleneck in the south suburbs and northern Indiana needs to be fixed. The Illiana Expressway arises from the presumed dead. The Third airport at Peotone (which actually exists now...when the State bought Bult Field, a small commuter airport in the middle of the proposed airport footprint, the airport became reality...they don't need approval for a new airport, just the expansion of Bult) suddenly becomes reality and they start pouring runways. And suddenly Lincoln Way will think that the couple years before North & West opened were slow growth. I wonder what the LWN people would think about having to build another high school just for the Summit Hill district...All those subdivisions which just stopped in 2008 can start up right away and crank out new students in a year...

Of course, if that happens Lincoln Way South in Manhattan would quickly be the size of LWE...Peotone will rue closing any schools...Manteno will get to use its new 180 acre school site it bought about 12 years ago...

The world as we know it will cease to exist....

Does anyone really think LW210 is going to sit back and let the tax dollars from 161 just disappear?
I believe they will fight like hell to keep those tax dollars to keep coming in

Just my 2 cents, and my tax dollars

Reactions: anon_4vszfu35bv677
ADVERTISEMENT