ADVERTISEMENT

Loyola U's game Saturday on TBS

MC63

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Lake County
Two points:

!) one of the announcers said that Loyola is the only Chicago or Illinois school to win the national championship. Not true, In 1945 DePaul won the Madison Square Garden-based NIT -- far more prestigious and profitable than the NCAA at that time, and for years to come. The emergence of Lew Alcindor at UCLA is considered by many to be the beginning of the end for the NIT

2) Is there a cliche Chris Webber hasn't swallowed whole? Can't someone zap him with a prod of some sort? Just when Harrelson decides to retire, this guy comes along.

Last edited:
I think Loyola run is funny.Why? Wichita State & Creighton bolted from the MVC.Saying they were tired of getting low seeds despite playing with & beating major schools.Wichita & Creighton got a very high seeds this season after leaving & still got beat in round 1!!!! They were a #3 Wichita & #6 Creighton.Loyola moved into the MVC & inherited a very low seed #11 which Wichita State normally got.They are now in the final 4 & beat some pretty tough teams to get there too.

I am not much of a basketball fan. But this has been a very interesting and good story. God knows the Bears, Hawks and Bulls haven't done squat this past season. And baseball hasn't started yet, so this is good stuff to fill the time.

I think Loyola run is funny.Why? Wichita State & Creighton bolted from the MVC.Saying they were tired of getting low seeds despite playing with & beating major schools.Wichita & Creighton got a very high seeds this season after leaving & still got beat in round 1!!!! They were a #3 Wichita & #6 Creighton.Loyola moved into the MVC & inherited a very low seed #11 which Wichita State normally got.They are now in the final 4 & beat some pretty tough teams to get there too.

Had very little to do with MVC itself had everything to do with money. Both schools draw big crowds and have huge per game attendance and the remaining MVC teams just could not compete with that.....bigger conference means bigger draws and more TV revenue...and they no question outgrew the Valley.

And they both got bounced out in round 1.Loyola made some pretty good comments/jabs towards Creighton & Wichita.I think the MVC is underrated.I still can't understand how many btw consider Gonzaga a Mid Major lol

Two points:

!) one of the announcers said that Loyola is the only Chicago or Illinois school to win the national championship. Not true, In 1945 DePaul won the Madison Square Garden-based NIT -- far more prestigious and profitable than the NCAA at that time, and for years to come. The emergence of Lew Alcindor at UCLA is considered by many to be the beginning of the end for the NIT.
NOT TRUE---By the mid-50s the NCAA was already recognized as the only true National Title. The USF teams teams ( Bill Russell) made that a certainty, But even by the mid 40s both were equal. The thing that the NIT had going for it was that the finals were in NYC and the NYC media made it out to be bigger than it was. But really even going back to the first NCAA title the NCAA was the only true National Title.

And they both got bounced out in round 1.Loyola made some pretty good comments/jabs towards Creighton & Wichita.I think the MVC is underrated.I still can't understand how many btw consider Gonzaga a Mid Major lol

Super,

I'm a proud SIU alum and an MVC backer and supporter for many years now....I'll never argue with you on the whole mid major MVC underrated issue. I've seen several jabs but in all honesty the ones making the jabs would also have jumped when both schools did.

CU and WSU did exactly what they should have done, follow the money.

Super, no one considers Gonzaga a mid. They play in a mid conference but those are two separate things.

NOT TRUE---By the mid-50s the NCAA was already recognized as the only true National Title. The USF teams teams ( Bill Russell) made that a certainty, But even by the mid 40s both were equal. The thing that the NIT had going for it was that the finals were in NYC and the NYC media made it out to be bigger than it was. But really even going back to the first NCAA title the NCAA was the only true National Title.

Just more NCAA baloney from an Illinois fan. The NIT was the more prestigious tourney until Jabbar.

Sorry.

I thought Illinois was hands down the best team in '89. Heartbreaking loss to Mich in Final 4. DePaul was 1 overall seed in '81 and got upset at buzzer. i think Mark Aguirre walked back to the team hotel in his jersey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT