ADVERTISEMENT

Loyola hoops

Quags57

Aug 15, 2006
Loyola has decided to close their school for the second day in a row due to a Covid-19 threat. Safety first. Completely understandable.

But....they will play basketball tonight in the state sectional tournament.

Makes total sense to me

Reactions: mc140 and ClownBaby
Yah this one is a slippery slope. If nothing else the game should be played in an empty gym. I get the need to keep everyone safe and all but this is starting to get a bit out of control.

Reactions: USD24
Yah this one is a slippery slope. If nothing else the game should be played in an empty gym. I get the need to keep everyone safe and all but this is starting to get a bit out of control.

Personally I think people are overacting and being overly cautious but I don’t see how you can say it’s not safe to be at school and then turn around and play a basketball game like there is no issue? At the very least it’s just bad PR for Loyola.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76

Many colleges are cancelling the rest of their semester or moving them to online classes. The Ivy League cancelled their hoops tourney and Harvard has cancelled its Lacrosse season.

Just dont cancel the big 10 tourney! Ive already booked my room and bought my tickets.

Reactions: caravan8
to be clear, loyola is technically in session today through distance learning. Teachers are actually teaching and kids have work to do.

A bit different from the strike scenarios in football.

Bigger issue from an athletic perspective is spring sports like lax and baseball. Their practices being cancelled could prevent them from being eligible to play their first games.

Reactions: caravan8
to be clear, loyola is technically in session today through distance learning. Teachers are actually teaching and kids have work to do.

Bigger issue from an athletic perspective is spring sports like lax and baseball. Their practices being cancelled could prevent them from being eligible to play their first games.
Most of those early season games get rained out anyway.

Doesn’t that make it worse? We want to protect our students so they aren’t practicing in Lax and baseball to prevent transmission of the virus but we want to win in basketball so screw the kids from Niles North.

Reactions: mullin17
The governor of Ohio just said any events held in doors will be without an audience. He First 4 of the tournament is in Dayton next Tuesday and Wednesday and the MAC tournament I think is still in Cleveland

The governor of Ohio just said any events held in doors will be without an audience. He First 4 of the tournament is in Dayton next Tuesday and Wednesday and the MAC tournament I think is still in Cleveland

NCAA first round games are also held in Clevelend next weekend

As stated by the Harvard Basketball player.The IVY League shouldn’t send any teams to any NCAA Tournament then

Loyola Academy is an iPad school. Teachers will post assignments and lecture on line if needed.

Columbus Blue Jackets are still going to play their games with fans. :)

Absolutely brilliant strategy by LA. Niles North obviously scared to defend, LA races to a 14-1 lead, holds on to win 48-24. ETHS-LA Friday. Winner has to go play at the Sears Centre.

Loyola Academy is an iPad school. Teachers will post assignments and lecture on line if needed.

That's not the issue though. If it is too dangerous to go to school, it should be too dangerous to play basketball in sectional semi where there hundreds of people at a minimum.

Reactions: ClownBaby and USD24
Any of you Metro East people have any insight on the PBR HS baseball classic next week? For example, are they cancelling it?

Play the whole tournament at the Hoosier Gym, where they filmed Hickory home games for the movie. Do it over 1 weekend.

Many colleges are cancelling the rest of their semester or moving them to online classes. The Ivy League cancelled their hoops tourney and Harvard has cancelled its Lacrosse season.

Just dont cancel the big 10 tourney! Ive already booked my room and bought my tickets.
B1G playing without fans after tonight, that sucks since you had tickets.
Went to B1G football championship game in Indy a couple of years ago.
It’s a great venue and fun downtown.

Media is actually downplaying it currently. Listen/read from lead scientists on the matter. It's no joke
I've absolutely noticed, yesterday, that the media is starting to make a point of saying they are not trying to scare or cause panic. Seems they are starting to realize we don't trust much of what they say.

Anyone that considers the virus a joke deserves what they get. The reason why there aren’t more reported cases is because their isn’t enough testing available. You can think of whatever conspiracy theories about that you want, but it’s serious. And it’s only gonna get worse

Reactions: UlbKA91 and au6890
Anyone that considers the virus a joke deserves what they get. The reason why there aren’t more reported cases is because their isn’t enough testing available. You can think of whatever conspiracy theories about that you want, but it’s serious. And it’s only gonna get worse

Agree in part. I actually have a degree in public health so I can talk somewhat educated about this.

To your point it WILL get worse. I imagine within the chicago area it will get much worse over next two weeks then flatline and eventually decline. I don't imagine this getting to be anywhere near as bad as it is in Italy because of steps already taken.

Actually I believe that a material amount of the population already has the virus. Which is good in a way because there haven't been mass hospitalization. Also, it will mean more folks are walking around who are already immune to the virus which is a good thing as well.

Also, it is irresponsible to compare fatality rates between countries. Based on genetics, all folks have different immune system and react differently to different virus. I am encouraged by the fact that Americans appear to be a bit more resilant.

That said, elderly folks, obese folks and anyone else who is immunocompromised need to be VERY careful over the next few weeks and limit contact in a very real way.

Last edited:

. So you are saying that people who did not take this seriously deserve to get a potentially fatal virus. That's an odd perspective.

. So you are saying that people who did not take this seriously deserve to get a potentially fatal virus. That's an odd perspective.

Not at all. But to be flippant and call it a hoax as some high ranking officials have is just wrong and can lead to those kind of people getting sick. Aka Rudy Gobert

Not at all. But to be flippant and call it a hoax as some high ranking officials have is just wrong and can lead to those kind of people getting sick. Aka Rudy Gobert
Rudy Gobert is an asshole. He was touching all his teammate and their stuff to be a jerk. The star player (Donovan Mitchell) just tested positive

Rudy Gobert is an asshole. He was touching all his teammate and their stuff to be a jerk. The star player (Donovan Mitchell) just tested positive

There is actually a ton of good news there from a public health perspective. of the 58 people, Goburt had contact with, only 1 tested positive. Shows there is a lot of natural immunity out there which could stop this from potentially being much worse.

Obviously, most of the 58 are world-class athletes so may not hold for population in general, but still good news.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT