ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Go GIOLITO!!!

I was watching some of that game last night and didn't realize he had a no-no going.

I was there:

1) Very late 60's early 70's at Wrigley for a Cubs No hitter (maybe it was a 1 hitter) but I was too young and totally oblivious to any Historical event. I don't even know who was pitching. I didn't realize the significance of the game until my older brother explained it to me a couple years later and why he kept the scorecard and ticket stubs.

2) Early to mid 70's Wrigley: Furgeson Jenkins (I think) became very upset after being removed as the pitcher and proceeded to throw every bat from the dugout out onto the infield. That was a lot of bats, more than I ever thought possible.

3) Sox - (1979) Disco Demolition Night. Although I wished I wasn't there after the crowd got way out of control. That turned into a scary situation. But it's pretty cool to be able to say I was there. :)

I was there:

1) Very late 60's early 70's at Wrigley for a Cubs No hitter (maybe it was a 1 hitter) but I was too young and totally oblivious to any Historical event. I don't even know who was pitching. I didn't realize the significance of the game until my older brother explained it to me a couple years later and why he kept the scorecard and ticket stubs.

2) Early to mid 70's Wrigley: Furgeson Jenkins (I think) became very upset after being removed as the pitcher and proceeded to throw every bat from the dugout out onto the infield. That was a lot of bats, more than I ever thought possible.

3) Sox - (1979) Disco Demolition Night. Although I wished I wasn't there after the crowd got way out of control. That turned into a scary situation. But it's pretty cool to be able to say I was there. :)

I was there to see ...

Mike Schmidt hit 4 homers in a single game (he doesn't get credit, here, because the 4th was in extra innings -- although he didn't hit his first until the sixth inning, or so)

Rod Carew hitting over .400 in July (1977)

Six All Star games

Mark McGwire set an all time home run record (which he broke a few days later someplace else)

Walter Payton run for 275 yards

The last college All-Star game

All of William Perry's Soldier Field touchdowns

Joe Namath's last game

The last game Ray Meyer coached

The only two playoff games Mike Ditka won without Buddy Ryan

They had 3 players in the lineup with an OPS under .400 and the only player in our lineup yesterday that wouldn’t lead the pirates in OPS is Encarnacion. That team had no chance against 27 last night, not the way he was throwing.

They had 3 players in the lineup with an OPS under .400 and the only player in our lineup yesterday that wouldn’t lead the pirates in OPS is Encarnacion. That team had no chance against 27 last night, not the way he was throwing.
So what. Even pitchers get hits sometimes. I don't care what team he faced, throwing a no hitter is a big deal since only 304 have been thrown since modern day baseball started. The old saying is "if you swing the bat, you are dangerous."

I'm not discounting the feat, I enjoyed it. As the game went on, I started to look at the hitters numbers and kept noticing surprisingly low OPS averages, so I decided to look. It was more an observation than any discredit to Giolito. I'm a season ticket holding WS guy.

Last night has to be the least watched no-no in mlb history. Due to a power outage the tv audience missed an inning or two. The only people that saw the came in it's entirety were those who were in the building.

And it will surprise no one that the Sox lead the majors in SLG. What a summer to be locked out. Reminds me of being locked in as a kid--confined to my room on a nice summer day for committing some infraction.

Last edited:
And it will surprise no one that the Sox lead the majors in SLG. What a summer to be locked out. Reminds me of being locked in as a kid--confined to my room on a nice summer day for committing some infraction.
Look at the oddities that either kept the Sox out of the playoffs, or out of the view of many. Look at the 1981 season. That season had a players strike. MLB decided to divide the season into two halves with the winner in each division of each half going to the playoffs.

The Oakland A's won the first half and the Royals won the second half and both advanced. The Royals had an overall record in 1981 of 50-53 and a winning pct. of .485. The Sox had an overall record of 54-52 and the Rangers record was 57-48 and neither of those two teams went to post season.

in 1994 the Sox and Yankees had, what many in the game thought, to have the best teams in the American league. Then a strike on August 11th ended the season. I believed then, and I believe now that 1994 team would have seen post season play if not for the strike. And that team would have had the experience of 1993 to draw on.

Now, you have Giolito throwing a no-no and dominating that game and no one was there to see it.

Who knows? maybe a 60 game season is just what this team needs to get to post season. We will know morw next week when the Sox travel to Minnesota. Giolito is pitching the first game and Keuchel is pitching the second game. So, we'll see.

I look at Harrelson this way. I see good Hawk, very bad Hawk and better Hawk during his broadcast years. In the beginning when he was with Don Drysdale I couldn't get enough of those broadcasts. They were great together and Hawk kept a check on his hubris. Of course Hawk respected Drysdale in a big way.

After Drysdale left and as the years went on he became more full of himself which was a turnoff. We all know he left for a while and the guys who filled in were worse, in my opinion. The he came back and was in the booth with Tom Paciorek (Wimpy). Those were some of his best days too and rivaled the days he was with Drysdale. I loved listening to those two. They fit like a glove. Even when Paciorek came back from time to time near the end they just seemed to pick up where they left off.

I was one who was for the teaming of Hawk with Steve Stone. I couldn't stand Darrin Jackson. I still can't stand the guy. In my opinion, the paring of Stone and Hawk was good for a while. But it soured. Near the end and especially during the Robin Ventura managerial years, he was at his worst. I couldn't stand to listen to him during those years. You could tell, if you paid attention to the broadcasts, Stone wasn't enjoying it at all. But being the true professional he is, he didn't let it affect his work. I don't think the audience enjoyed it either.

But, I do think in his last year, Hawk was much better with his demeanor and attitude. I enjoyed listening to those broadcasts. It's a shame that the last impression a person makes is the one most people remember. Over all the years I look at Hawk as a good announcer who had some great moments. When he was good, he was very good. But when he was bad, he was awful.

Reactions: USD24
I look at Harrelson this way. I see good Hawk, very bad Hawk and better Hawk during his broadcast years. In the beginning when he was with Don Drysdale I couldn't get enough of those broadcasts. They were great together and Hawk kept a check on his hubris. Of course Hawk respected Drysdale in a big way.

After Drysdale left and as the years went on he became more full of himself which was a turnoff. We all know he left for a while and the guys who filled in were worse, in my opinion. The he came back and was in the booth with Tom Paciorek (Wimpy). Those were some of his best days too and rivaled the days he was with Drysdale. I loved listening to those two. They fit like a glove. Even when Paciorek came back from time to time near the end they just seemed to pick up where they left off.

I was one who was for the teaming of Hawk with Steve Stone. I couldn't stand Darrin Jackson. I still can't stand the guy. In my opinion, the paring of Stone and Hawk was good for a while. But it soured. Near the end and especially during the Robin Ventura managerial years, he was at his worst. I couldn't stand to listen to him during those years. You could tell, if you paid attention to the broadcasts, Stone wasn't enjoying it at all. But being the true professional he is, he didn't let it affect his work. I don't think the audience enjoyed it either.

But, I do think in his last year, Hawk was much better with his demeanor and attitude. I enjoyed listening to those broadcasts. It's a shame that the last impression a person makes is the one most people remember. Over all the years I look at Hawk as a good announcer who had some great moments. When he was good, he was very good. But when he was bad, he was awful.

Pretty good summation of Hawk.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Agree
1. Vin Scully he was the best . 67 years announcing Dodgers games.
2. Don Drysdale was number two IMO. Hawk was not on my list. Not because I am a Cubs fan.
Agreed Corey. Vin Scully was the best by far. I liked Drysdale a lot too.

ADVERTISEMENT