ADVERTISEMENT

Lenti shares his feelings

I was referring at longevity at one place to be a legend 25+years
You listed great examples, how has their successors done?

Papoccia and Zinanni are still both coaching.

In the 8 years since Unruh left Carthage I-W, his two successors have produced slightly above average teams, but none of them have advanced past round two of the playoffs.

O'Boyle left Stockton in 98, and his successors have put together some strong teams, but no titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: mullin17
Badke has the potential and pedigree to be talked about in the same way as Coach Mitch.
Grandfather and Dad both long time and ery successfull CCL coaches
played for Gordie at USF and Mitch at BR.
I found Coach Mitchell to be a very kind and friendly man. A true gentleman. Hell he's a Carmel Man! I find Badke to be extremely standoffish and unfriendly, especially if your not associated with BR. Just my opinion.

Reactions: feeto
I found Coach Mitchell to be a very kind and friendly man. A true gentleman. Hell he's a Carmel Man! I find Badke to be extremely standoffish and unfriendly, especially if your not associated with BR. Just my opinion.
Completely agree with you on both counts!

Im not a total IHSA football historian.
Questions:
1. Is there a comparison to "Illinois HS Legend" head coach with the longevity and success of FLenti?
2. If so, was the hire following the legend a success?

My two comparisons:
1. Richards = Jury still out on Sheehan
2. Providence = Success with Cogs

Any other comps out there?
Success of Lenti? Don't think there is one but maybe Seff was close. If we're just talking a successful long time coach then Coach Ivlow took over for Coach Acton and won that elusive championship, but also has marginal playoff success outside of a few years and missed the post season once.

I call it a push as coach Ivlow has had much more difficult schedules and the championship makes up for missing once.

One thing about Lenti is he did it at a higher level in regard to playoff class.

I could be wrong but I thought MC was always 5A (couple 6A) and then 7A (1 8A).

I could be wrong here as I am not certain of the other schools. Just something that stuck out to me.

One thing about Lenti is he did it at a higher level in regard to playoff class.

I could be wrong but I thought MC was always 5A (couple 6A) and then 7A (1 8A).

I could be wrong here as I am not certain of the other schools. Just something that stuck out to me.

Mt Carmel has won 12 state championships. Of these, two were at the highest level at that time; nine were one level down; and one was two levels down. We've lost five state championship games: two at the highest level at that time, and three at one level down. We lost in the semis in 1987 to East St Louis in the highest level.

In the seven years from 2006 to 2012, we competed in 8A playoffs.

Prior to the state championship era, we won the City Championship nine times. I'm not sure how many losses -- I believe three.

Considering these results, and the level of our competition, no school in this state compares to our football history.

Mt Carmel has won 12 state championships. Of these, two were at the highest level at that time; nine were one level down; and one was two levels down. We've lost five state championship games: two at the highest level at that time, and three at one level down. We lost in the semis in 1987 to East St Louis in the highest level.

Prior to the state championship era, we won the City Championship nine times. I'm not sure how many losses -- I believe three.

Considering these results, and the level of our competition, no school in this state compares to our football history.

Earlier in this thread, I posted about a number of coaches from smaller schools with similar levels of experience as Coach Lenti and with slightly less successful records relative to state titles. Some of those coaches, however, have better overall winning percentages than does Coach Lenti.

I've been thinking about the differences between the levels. I honestly don't think it is any tougher to win a title at the highest level than it is at lower levels. Since the classes are based on enrollment (for the most part), the level of competition is all relative from one class to the next. I think an argument can be made that the lower classes face different (tougher?) challenges from a coaching perspective due to so many players playing both ways.

Reactions: USD24
Earlier in this thread, I posted about a number of coaches from smaller schools with similar levels of experience as Coach Lenti and with slightly less successful records relative to state titles. Some of those coaches, however, have better overall winning percentages than does Coach Lenti.

I've been thinking about the differences between the levels. I honestly don't think it is any tougher to win a title at the highest level than it is at lower levels. Since the classes are based on enrollment (for the most part), the level of competition is all relative from one class to the next. I think an argument can be made that the lower classes face different (tougher?) challenges from a coaching perspective due to so many players playing both ways.

There is an enrollment limit at every level but the top one. Then, of course, there is our old friend, the multiplier. We've played at the top level against schools with huge male enrollments. I don't have the time to look them up, but I'm sure someone will.

Last edited:
Not to get into the private v public thing but there is a reason privates don't dominate the largest class like they do the lower one's.

Reactions: NNFAN
Not to get into the private v public thing but there is a reason privates don't dominate the largest class like they do the lower one's.

And, more than any other reason, it's because there are fewer large private schools that qualify for classification in the largest class.

BTW, three different private schools have played in the 8A title game in 8 of the last 9 years, winning two of those titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: USD24
And, more than any other reason, it's because there are fewer large private schools that qualify for classification in the largest class.

It is also a lot easier to get more talent then Lasalle Peru than Bolingbrook.

I believe Joliet Catholic has 13 titles.

I think a lot more people would disagree with that. Just my opinion

All great people, all great coaches, but they needed a name. A name that would spark these kids, and more importantly their parents interest when choosing a school. We're alums, we know all the names you mentioned are great choices, but the families from hopeful incoming players with no ties to MC, have no clue who they are. You tell them O'B is going to take over they would say "Who's he" you tell them Jordan Lynch they'll say "Oh Wow". You're trying to convince these families to bypass the neighborhood schools and come to 64th and Dante, you needed a name, and outside of Dave Lenti, the others would not have had the same impact as Lynch. I just went through this process with my son a couple years, it's cutthroat, dog eat dog, you need an angle.
The tail end of your comment describes a sad reality. It is one CCL tradition I do not admire. IMO, it is rivalry gone too far. Tearing each other down, crabs in bucket, or whatever you want to call it seems so counter to the teaching of Christ. With Catholic schools closing because of declining enrollments and funding shortfalls, some of those that remain are directing energy and resources trying to convince people what is wrong with the others that remain. It does not seem like a good way to run a railroad.

Last edited:
Reactions: USD24 and McCaravan
With all due respect ... at what level?
I should have done a better job in clarifying my statement. We could go back and forth about classes or levels or whatever. Teams go to the class they are put it. If my memory is correct, MC was put into 8A. They didn't request it. But that is irrelevant. They still won there.

My statement was about the statement you made saying no one in the state compares to MC. I simply say, Joliet Catholic with their 13 titles does compare. I am not going to get into who has actually been the better program or levels or whatever else there is to debate. From where I sit, they are both pretty darned good and comparable.

Reactions: Bwm57 and McCaravan
Badke and his family have a great reputation On the southside and the CCL
I'm sure his family is fine, I've heard nothing but wonderful things about his fathers legacy. I just haven't seen those traits in him. I'm sure you have, your associated with BR. Don't take it to heart, we all have our opinions, if I had a dollar for every time someone told me they didn't like Lenti....Wow....drinks on me!

I should have done a better job in clarifying my statement. We could go back and forth about classes or levels or whatever. Teams go to the class they are put it. If my memory is correct, MC was put into 8A. They didn't request it. But that is irrelevant. They still won there.

My statement was about the statement you made saying no one in the state compares to MC. I simply say, Joliet Catholic with their 13 titles does compare. I am not going to get into who has actually been the better program or levels or whatever else there is to debate. From where I sit, they are both pretty darned good and comparable.
JC went down a couple classes when they let the gals in and became JCA and lost the multiplier, but they could have won 8A with some of those teams they had

JC went down a couple classes when they let the gals in and became JCA and lost the multiplier, but they could have won 8A with some of those teams they had
Absolutely agree with this statement.

Here we go again. There is a difference between classes and classes below them.

Bones, I agree with you about the classes, but there are exceptions. some of those JCA squads were loaded.
I'm not saying they weren't. I am saying there were times when awfully loaded teams didn't make it to 6A finals in the 90's. I just hate when people project how a school would do against a class of schools based on how they play against a less difficult opponent. JCA got a couple cracks at NN in the 90's. Those DVC schools and SICA Blue schools were no joke.

With all due respect ... at what level?

Jca beat mc in 99,00. Both years mc won 5a when there were only 6 classes. Don't get me wrong I understand that all years and titles are not equal to each other. But there are many examples of 4a-6a schools that can compete and or beat any team in the state.

Jca beat mc in 99,00. Both years mc won 5a when there were only 6 classes. Don't get me wrong I understand that all years and titles are not equal to each other. But there are many examples of 4a-6a schools that can compete and or beat any team in the state.

Of course, there are plenty of times when JCA beat Mt Carmel. No one denies that. Note, however, the 2 schools did play for the state championship on one occasion. If I'm writing this, you can guess who won.

Humble as always.

Of course, there are plenty of times when JCA beat Mt Carmel. No one denies that. Note, however, the 2 schools did play for the state championship on one occasion. If I'm writing this, you can guess who won.

So, by your logic Maine South is a better program than MC? Since the Hawks have 5 titles in the highest class (to MC's 2) and are 2-0 vs. the Caravan in championship games? With all due respect.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes both schools to get their next one.

So, by your logic Maine South is a better program than MC? Since the Hawks have 5 titles in the highest class (to MC's 2) and are 2-0 vs. the Caravan in championship games? With all due respect.

Surprisingly, no.

Our history of football excellence extends beyond 90 years. We won our first City Championship in 1926.

Your due respect is appreciated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT