ADVERTISEMENT

Lenti shares his feelings

All I'm saying is that Jordan is in a tough position. If he doesn't make the State Championship game in the next 5 seasons, how many alumni will be saying, "If Lenti was still calling the shots..."? Will it start earlier than 5 years?
Jordan is inheriting a program that is in very good condition. The cupboard is not bare, coaches are still there, and the lower levels are very successful. I don't know the status of the program when Frank took over but it couldn't really be any better.
It will be hard for Jordan to live up to the mystique of Frank and will be crucified if the program falters at all. Tough position to be in for a first time HS Coach.

All I'm saying is that Jordan is in a tough position. If he doesn't make the State Championship game in the next 5 seasons, how many alumni will be saying, "If Lenti was still calling the shots..."? Will it start earlier than 5 years?
Jordan is inheriting a program that is in very good condition. The cupboard is not bare, coaches are still there, and the lower levels are very successful. I don't know the status of the program when Frank took over but it couldn't really be any better.
It will be hard for Jordan to live up to the mystique of Frank and will be crucified if the program falters at all. Tough position to be in for a first time HS Coach.

Lynch will not get five years. He will be under the microscope from day one. Most coaches get four years for a program that has to be built back up. Once your first group become seniors. But since MC is fairly well stocked Lynch will get slack only in year one and that will only if he drastically changes the offense. Even so playing in the green instead of the blue many will expect MC to run the table in conference. Fair? I don't think so. Holecek lost to MC his first three years. Then has gone 7-2. But he needed time to get his legs under him and get his scheme in were the first group of freshmen were seniors.

Lynch will not get five years. He will be under the microscope from day one. Most coaches get four years for a program that has to be built back up. Once your first group become seniors. But since MC is fairly well stocked Lynch will get slack only in year one and that will only if he drastically changes the offense. Even so playing in the green instead of the blue many will expect MC to run the table in conference. Fair? I don't think so. Holecek lost to MC his first three years. Then has gone 7-2. But he needed time to get his legs under him and get his scheme in were the first group of freshmen were seniors.

Playing in green may be a detriment in that regard as he is expected to never lose a conference game.

Although MC is no strangers to transfers, even during the 90's, the past few years have been especially rough. Lynch will have the undaunted task of keeping all this talent at MC, and not letting them transfer. But it's hard to fight free tuition of the public schools, whether CPS or Suburbs

Reactions: mcguy456
Playing in green may be a detriment in that regard as he is expected to never lose a conference game.
I know that teams are supposed to rotate after 2 years, but could Montini with it's downward trending enrollment, just beg back into the Green without any of the other Blues taking a turn for 2020 and 2021?

I read it to mean he wanted to coach until he was 70 then turn it over to one of his coordinators, one of which helped pump some life into the St Ignatius program. There seemed to be a succession plan inherent to the program he had built.

As a lifelong MC fan, alum and former player I 100% believe keeping an inhouse hire was the direction the program should have gone. Dave or Coach anto and don't forget Franks son who is on the full time staff now, or Dan o'brien who would be my personal pick. Lots of options with actual high school coaching experience and no controversy and embarrassment

As a lifelong MC fan, alum and former player I 100% believe keeping an inhouse hire was the direction the program should have gone. Dave or Coach anto and don't forget Franks son who is on the full time staff now, or Dan o'brien who would be my personal pick. Lots of options with actual high school coaching experience and no controversy and embarrassment
I didn’t think Frank Jr was on the full time staff at MC but I may be wrong. I thought he was a videographer for the White Sox.

All great people, all great coaches, but they needed a name. A name that would spark these kids, and more importantly their parents interest when choosing a school. We're alums, we know all the names you mentioned are great choices, but the families from hopeful incoming players with no ties to MC, have no clue who they are. You tell them O'B is going to take over they would say "Who's he" you tell them Jordan Lynch they'll say "Oh Wow". You're trying to convince these families to bypass the neighborhood schools and come to 64th and Dante, you needed a name, and outside of Dave Lenti, the others would not have had the same impact as Lynch. I just went through this process with my son a couple years, it's cutthroat, dog eat dog, you need an angle.

All great people, all great coaches, but they needed a name. A name that would spark these kids, and more importantly their parents interest when choosing a school. We're alums, we know all the names you mentioned are great choices, but the families from hopeful incoming players with no ties to MC, have no clue who they are. You tell them O'B is going to take over they would say "Who's he" you tell them Jordan Lynch they'll say "Oh Wow". You're trying to convince these families to bypass the neighborhood schools and come to 64th and Dante, you needed a name, and outside of Dave Lenti, the others would not have had the same impact as Lynch. I just went through this process with my son a couple years, it's cutthroat, dog eat dog, you need an angle.
Simeon Rice or Donovan McNabb would be those "oh wow" type guys....Jordan Lynch, was a very good player at NIU, not drafted, didnt make an NFL team... kinda meh. Don't get me wrong, was an excellent player, but I don't think he's the kind of guy you turn your entire alumni base upside down over. I don't know how well known Jordan Lynch is to kids at Q of M, SJF, CK, Cajetan, Barnabas etc. let alone the south suburbs or Indiana where MC pulls a lot of kids from. He did not play in the NFL. Im sure at St. Christina his legend is well known as the little brother was just there.

Simeon Rice or Donovan McNabb would be those "oh wow" type guys....Jordan Lynch, was a very good player at NIU, not drafted, didnt make an NFL team... kinda meh. Don't get me wrong, was an excellent player, but I don't think he's the kind of guy you turn your entire alumni base upside down over. I don't know how well known Jordan Lynch is to kids at Q of M, SJF, CK, Cajetan, Barnabas etc. let alone the south suburbs or Indiana where MC pulls a lot of kids from. He did not play in the NFL. Im sure at St. Christina his legend is well known as the little brother was just there.
Well maybe "Oh really!" Would have been a better phrase. If you follow football, you know his name especially from the neighborhood schools mentioned above.

Well maybe "Oh really!" Would have been a better phrase. If you follow football, you know his name especially from the neighborhood schools mentioned above.
I get what you're saying, but thats amongst guys like us.....i dont think his name holds much sway amongst grammar school boys.

Reactions: McCaravan
I get what you're saying, but thats amongst guys like us.....i dont think his name holds much sway amongst grammar school boys.

I agree with this.

Among alumni, I think it is a step backward. With young kids I think it is a step forward. As far as a "name" I am not sure the 8th grader at St Linas or from Muncie, IN knows who Jordan Lynch is. I am sure they do at Christina but that will not impact any kid there as most are alumni related kids.

The Lynch draw will be how successful their offense is under him. If he has success it will all work out.

I'm still waiting for my crystal ball to come from Amazon Prime, but until it does, let's just wait and see what he can do and give the guy a chance.

Reactions: HRCJR
I would hope they would hire the best football coach for the long run and person that wins the most games, not the person that is going to get the most hype with parents and kids when they are in 8th grade being told how great of a player they are when they are in middle school.

Great players do not always make the best coaches (if I can do it why can’t you). In general the best coaches had to work hard to make it because they could not get by on talent alone. As a coach Lynch will do fine. If the big spotlight is to get testing numbers up that’s another issue. There are other issues here we all don’t know about.

He’s a kid that made good from the neighborhood they have the most comp recruiting. It is a good hire...just poorly handled PR-wise and internally.

If this was in the works for years, all of these named are cowards not to give Lenti a heads up. I find it hard to believe that ALL of these people kept that secret for that long.

Agreed. I saw Cushing at a Christmas party in mid December and he thought Frank would be coaching for at least a few more years.

Grammar school kids watch college football and admire college football much more than the nfl. I would honeatly say the same for high school football. I think a lot more kids would know who Jordan lynch then you think.

Reactions: McCaravan
Grammar school kids watch college football and admire college football much more than the nfl. I would honeatly say the same for high school football. I think a lot more kids would know who Jordan lynch then you think.

The Junior High Kids he will be trying to get to MC where in 2nd and 3rd grade the last time he played at NIU. He will have more name recognition with parents.

Last edited:
Reactions: go_rice
I read it to mean he wanted to coach until he was 70 then turn it over to one of his coordinators, one of which helped pump some life into the St Ignatius program. There seemed to be a succession plan inherent to the program he had built.

That may be but at minimum he and his boss disagreed on this or it was not communicated clearly.

Im not a total IHSA football historian.
Questions:
1. Is there a comparison to "Illinois HS Legend" head coach with the longevity and success of FLenti?
2. If so, was the hire following the legend a success?

My two comparisons:
1. Richards = Jury still out on Sheehan
2. Providence = Success with Cogs

Any other comps out there?

Questions:
1. Is there a comparison to "Illinois HS Legend" head coach with the longevity and success of FLenti?

My two comparisons:

Loyola, Holecek following Hoerster
Joliet Cath, Gillespie to Stone to Sharp

Reactions: mullin17
Questions:

My two comparisons:

Sadly, we've still never had anyone live up to Coach Tom Mitchell. Not even close.

Sadly, we've still never had anyone live up to Coach Tom Mitchell. Not even close.

MC - Lenti won 82% of his games. Gold standard.

SR - Cronin 76%, Wernet 73%, Kuska 70%

BR- Mitchell 64%, Nye 62%, and Badke 56%.

Perception is a funny thing. Mitchell - by all reports - was gentleman and well respected by everyone. But Steve Nye is also a nice guy and never got the due he deserved. There was a lot of kidding on this board. Nye had to compete for kids with MC and SR. Considering the players he got he did OK. But Mitchell only won 2% more of his games and is revered. Hard to figure.

MC - Lenti won 82% of his games. Gold standard.

SR - Cronin 76%, Wernet 73%, Kuska 70%

BR- Mitchell 64%, Nye 62%, and Badke 56%.

Perception is a funny thing. Mitchell - by all reports - was gentleman and well respected by everyone. But Steve Nye is also a nice guy and never got the due he deserved. There was a lot of kidding on this board. Nye had to compete for kids with MC and SR. Considering the players he got he did OK. But Mitchell only won 2% more of his games and is revered. Hard to figure.
Well, Coach Mitch won a state championship, finished 2nd another time & was a wonderful man that you’d never hear a bad word about from anyone. He did not recruit. He coached what showed up for school. We had some down years but we didn’t have the same quality of athlete that we played against. We had no Charles Edwards, no Simeon Rice, no Peter Patton, no Donovan McNabb, no John Foley, Brian Hamilton, Ray Novickas, or any other of those multiple D-1 players Rita always had. Yet we played those teams toe to toe for the most part. Take a look at the talent difference or how many went on to play in college between Rice & Rita teams in ‘86 when he beat them in the Mud Bowl. Coach Mitch could have won 25% of his games & no one would have cared because he made the school a better place to be.

Correction-JCA
Gillespie to Boyter to Stone to Sharp
All won state championships.
Gillespie and Sharp won multiple times.

Questions:

Posters are throwing out names of coaches who have been coaching for too short a period of time to be considered legendary in Illinois football coaching circles. I think perhaps they must be thinking in terms of legendary within a single school, whereas I am taking your question literally.

Hoerster and Holecek? Great coaches, but they don't pass the longevity criterion in my estimation.

The following have a combination of great longevity and sustained success and qualify as legendary in my book. None of them have had the sort of playoff success as Lenti has had for as long as he has had it.

John O'Boyle at Stockton. 35 years (11 of which were before the playoffs began, so no ability to pad the win total in the post season), .790 winning percentage, two undefeated seasons, 15 seasons with just one loss, 4 title game appearances, two state titles,

Rich Zinanni at Bishop Mac. 43 years .722 winning percentage, eight title game appearances, five state titles

Mike Papoccia at Newman. 38 years, .773 winning percentage, two undefeated seasons, 11 seasons with just one loss, 7 title game appearances, five state titles

Jim Unruh at Carthage and Carthage Illini West. 25 years, .850 winning percentage, five undefeated seasons, eight seasons with just one loss, ten title game appearances, six titles

Last edited:
Well, Coach Mitch won a state championship, finished 2nd another time & was a wonderful man that you’d never hear a bad word about from anyone. He did not recruit. He coached what showed up for school. We had some down years but we didn’t have the same quality of athlete that we played against. We had no Charles Edwards, no Simeon Rice, no Peter Patton, no Donovan McNabb, no John Foley, Brian Hamilton, Ray Novickas, or any other of those multiple D-1 players Rita always had. Yet we played those teams toe to toe for the most part. Take a look at the talent difference or how many went on to play in college between Rice & Rita teams in ‘86 when he beat them in the Mud Bowl. Coach Mitch could have won 25% of his games & no one would have cared because he made the school a better place to be.
My point was Nye deserves more credit. Very hard to replace a legend.

All.... Ken Leonard, Sacred Heart-Griffin. Below are his stats. Ratsy

Overall record 371-72. Currently third three w's behind Coach Lenti.
Nine finals with a 5-4 record.
His first four years were at Gridley going 32-9. He has been HC at SHG for 38 years.

Reactions: USD24
Posters are throwing out names of coaches who have been coaching for too short a period of time to be considered legendary in Illinois football coaching circles. I think perhaps they must be thinking in terms of legendary within a single school, whereas I am taking your question literally.

Hoerster and Holecek? Great coaches, but they don't pass the longevity criterion in my estimation.

The following have a combination of great longevity and sustained success and qualify as legendary in my book. None of them have had the sort of playoff success as Lenti has had for as long as he has had it.

John O'Boyle at Stockton. 35 years (11 of which were before the playoffs began, so no ability to pad the win total in the post season), .790 winning percentage, two undefeated seasons, 15 seasons with just one loss, 4 title game appearances, two state titles,

Rich Zinanni at Bishop Mac. 43 years .722 winning percentage, eight title game appearances, five state titles

Mike Papoccia at Newman. 38 years, .773 winning percentage, two undefeated seasons, 11 seasons with just one loss, 7 title game appearances, five state titles

Jim Unruh at Carthage and Carthage Illini West. 25 years, .850 winning percentage, five undefeated seasons, eight seasons with just one loss, ten title game appearances, six titles

I was referring at longevity at one place to be a legend 25+years
You listed great examples, how has their successors done?

Dave Mattio was one that came to mind: disaster happening
Rich Zianni: would love to see who succeeds Coach Z and if the success will be sustained

The problem with Nye is that the landscape changed, similar to Lenti in that football results were no longer just enough. He wasn't the recruiting type and when you could rely on kids just showing up he was fine. When he has to go and get kids, problems arise.

Kuska is kind of like that but Rita has other folks that can go out and secure enrollment levels.

There was a larger change when Nye left and that is still trying ot work its way out.

Gleeson replaced Mitch so Nye had a few years of a buffer between him and Coach Mitch.
Mitch was about building a young man not a program. But dont get me wrong he had teams in the 70's and early 80's with a ton of talent.
Coach Mitch is what every HS coach should strive to be, Badke is a product that

Badke has the potential and pedigree to be talked about in the same way as Coach Mitch.
Grandfather and Dad both long time and ery successfull CCL coaches
played for Gordie at USF and Mitch at BR.

I'm not sure of the doings down State but who replaced Bob Shannon at ESL?
Interim was Edmond Jones and Terry Hill (RB who's Jersey is the only retired Jersey in the school) was hired for the next season.

ADVERTISEMENT