ADVERTISEMENT

Lenti shares his feelings

No one likes to get fired and anytime that happens it’s going be messy but if he really did really come back the next day and offer to be a mentor/ coach for one more year MC should have done it. It would have given him one last ride and a chance for the alumni to send off over the course of the year, not to mention it would have avoided the media mess.

Wow, what a mess. I mean it's obviously the school's prerogative to go in whatever direction it wants to, but man was that handled poorly. I'd have to imagine they'll lose out on some football players because of how that was handled. With how many players Lenti coached that sent kids back there, I can't imagine they like that. And I feel like Lynch is in a tough position. They may be successful, but you never want to be the guy that replaces the guy. You want be the guy right after that.

I know this may not be a popular take, but man sometimes loyalty seems a bit overrated. Lenti put all those years into the program and he gets shown the door with no notice. No send-off season. He purposely declined better opportunities in college and at other schools for the school and they do that. That's why a lot of this generation is about getting yours before you get got.

This is as disrespectful as it gets. I am sure at least some of his offers elsewhere probably had better pay days too. I wonder how many schools would have done such a thing to a coach like him. I have seen crappy coaches given a better send off. To do this behind closed doors and behind his back is as cowardly as it gets.

I don't want to wish ill on any kids, but there is a part of me that hopes the program really suffers for this. And if it does you know it won't be the kids' fault. It will once again be the fault of adults, getting in the way of what's right, but having the kids suffer.

Really seems like Hughes really has something personal against Lenti. A few of my Caravan alumni friends are very upset over this situation and have pulled donations and support away until Hughes is gone. I know its not the best solution right now but a message has to be sent to Hughes. They want him out.

Firing someone is rarely a good experience. While I agree that Lenti deserved better, there are plenty of examples in the business world where this sort of thing happens. The question I have is, If the entire board was on board with this, is there something else that we are not hearing about?

Reactions: ClownBaby
Firing someone is rarely a good experience. While I agree that Lenti deserved better, there are plenty of examples in the business world where this sort of thing happens. The question I have is, If the entire board was on board with this, is there something else that we are not hearing about?
Would have leaked its way out by now if so.

Reactions: mcguy456
There's a ton we don't know about it and I don't think it will ever get out. I think MC is going to ride this out. They can fire back and give the reporters enough for two articles, and then he will fire back, and on and on. It won't stop. They are going to take a pass and let this run its course. They have a ton of good players, if Lynch wins, and I think he will with the talent they have, all these people will jump back on.

Last edited:
Reactions: ignazio
The MC program going forward is not the story. They will carry on and it will be what it will be. If Lynch can retain the stable of good coaches they should be fine.

I think the story in the media and why it will continue to simmer and be a story is that this is one of the most storied figures in high school sports who you could argue played a major role in a school remaining relevant along with Weick. The difference with Weick was that wrestling isn't as high profile.

If there were a larger story I would think Frank would have gone more quietly similar to the story at Providence with their current turmoil. Frank was basically fired. Why not give him a year or two to go out on his terms, he deserved this.

If Lynch was not willing to wait a year or two, that is a different story. Personally I think you pass on Lynch in that case to save face, work Dave in and go from there.

Really seems like Hughes really has something personal against Lenti. A few of my Caravan alumni friends are very upset over this situation and have pulled donations and support away until Hughes is gone. I know its not the best solution right now but a message has to be sent to Hughes. They want him out.

Ned Hughes was brought in for several reason. One of these was to get the school’s finances in order. His actions in this have done the polar opposite of that mission. Many alumni are holding their donations. Hughes did not like Frank Lenti. Hughes cut Lenti’s salary. But Frank would not quit. This will not be fixed in one year either even if they win a state championship. And if anyone thinks that this will help MC win even more titles they a dreaming. For the school to fully recover Ned Hughes has to go. And the sooner the better.

Last edited:
I think MC is going to ride this out. They can fire back and give the reporters enough for two articles, and then he will fire back, and on and on. It won't stop. They are going to take a pass and let this run its course.

the school has nothing to fire back they created a complete disaster. Coach Frank believe it or not held back for the schools sake and many still involved with the school. It was a personal move for the president and the idea was that people would be more excited for Lynch than upset about Lentis departure and boy was he wrong

1st, Hughes only needs the simple majority of the board vote to say that they are all in! 2nd, I truly believe that Mr. Hughes couldn't handle the football program being bigger than the school unless he had something to do with it......so get rid of Frank and bring in Jordan, his hire! Now if they do well, Mr. Hughes can claim some of the credit because his stamp is on it! It's called EGO, certain people are blinded by it. Leaders at times have to learn to be humble....especially at institutions like Chicago Mt. Carmel! On the positive side of this is that they did hire Jordan and let him pick his assistants. I think Jordan will do really well, why?........Whose one of his closest mentors and positive role models in his life?......Hmmmmm........could that be coach Frank?

The quote in the article about the board being behind the decision is what the president told Frank. Having known and spoken to a few members on that board I learned that what they supported and was told was going to happen didn't. It seemed once he got the decision that Lynch could take over he ran with it and forced Frank to step down immediately. No person who understands MC and the community would have supported how this went down. Remember it is only an advisory board and holds no real power in determining what the president chooses to do

Ned Hughes was brought in for several reason. One of these was to get the school’s finances in order. His actions in this have done the polar opposite of that mission. Many alumni are holding their donations. Hughes did not like Frank Lenti. Hughes cut Lenti’s salary. But Frank would not quit. This will not be fixed in one year either even if they win a state championship. And if anyone thinks that this will help MC win even more titles they a dreaming. For the school to fully recover Ned Hughes has to go. And the sooner the better.
I know it's impolite to ask but how much could he have been making? I'm sure it wasn't going to break the school.

I know it's impolite to ask but how much could he have been making? I'm sure it wasn't going to break the school.
I won't reveal their salaries but if I tell you what it would cost MC for one year of Lenti and Lynch to be on the same staff, your response would be "Ohhhh OK, I get it now"

Equivalent to what the Maine South Coach makes with his teaching salary (P.E.) and his coaching stipend. Remember Frank turned down jobs at ND and several South Suburban school districts. The school paid him to keep him. Ned Hughes has said it took 13 full paying students to pay Frank base salary. That’s BS. The alumni support more than pays ALL the salaries for ALL the coaches at the school and much more. Frank has personally done tremendous fund raising for the school himself.

Last edited:
I won't reveal their salaries but if I tell you what it would cost MC for one year of Lenti and Lynch to be on the same staff, your response would be "Ohhhh OK, I get it now"
It would be expensive for one year yes, but do you think the loss of donations wouldn't outweigh that? I'm sure they've already lost more commitments than what frank would have made and also effects donors feelings on the school in the future as well.

Reactions: CCLGUY1964
MC's treatment of lenti is just incomprehensible. Compare the way andriano at Montini went out compared to lenti. Unbelievable. Sad.

I respect what your saying except the fact many alums are with holding donations. As a father with 2 kids there, and being an alum, that's just hurting the 700 students and the 98% of the staff who had nothing to do with this.

I respect what your saying except the fact many alums are with holding donations. As a father with 2 kids there, and being an alum, that's just hurting the 700 students and the 98% of the staff who had nothing to do with this.
I said holding not cancelling as far as it goes for me for now. No matter what the football record record fund raising will suffer this year. For a couple guys I know they will not send money to the school as long as Hughes is there. I'm getting angry and I have to walk away from this thread. But good luck to the boys present and future.

MC's board is;

Chairman: Thomas Gibbs '64
Donal Barry '63
Trish Carlson
Fr. Robert Carroll
Matt Cushing '93
Fr. David Dillon '57
Fr. Paul Henson
Ned Hughes '70
Martin Hughes '66
Triste Smith
Vincent Scannell '77
Sergio Sanchez '94
Neal Sales-Griffin '05
Barbara Rose
Enrico Mowatt '90
Dave Novosel '77

This was in the works for some time (apparently years). Ned was the one that had the guts to finally do it. I know that's probably hard to hear or believe for some people, but it is the truth.

Last edited:
MC's board is;

Donal Barry '63
Trish Carlson
Fr. Robert Carroll
Matt Cushing '93
Fr. David Dillon '57
Fr. Paul Henson
Ned Hughes '70
Martin Hughes '66
Triste Smith
Vincent Scannell '77
Sergio Sanchez '94
Neal Sales-Griffin '05
Barbara Rose
Enrico Mowatt '90
Dave Novosel '77

This was in the works for some time (apparently years). Ned was the one that had the guts to finally do it. I know that's probably hard to hear or believe for some people, but it is the truth.

In the works for years?

34 - years
374 - wins
11 - titles
4 - 2nd place finishes
post season qualifier 1986 - 2015
semi finalist 2017 - maybe best coaching job
recent titles in 12 and 13.

Whatever yardstick was being used to measure the coach's performance, I wonder who could do better.

What other method do alumni have to communicate their displeasure with what happened? Discontinuing their giving, or giving less, are the only things they can do that will send a very clear message and that will impact the people at the highest levels immediately. Continuing to give, or giving more, will effectively result in enabling the people who did what they did.

The most effective way for alumni to voice their dissatisfaction to any school, MC or otherwise, is to send in those alumni appeal reply envelopes with notes communicating their dissatisfaction and with no check enclosed.

MC's board is;

Donal Barry '63
Trish Carlson
Fr. Robert Carroll
Matt Cushing '93
Fr. David Dillon '57
Fr. Paul Henson
Ned Hughes '70
Martin Hughes '66
Triste Smith
Vincent Scannell '77
Sergio Sanchez '94
Neal Sales-Griffin '05
Barbara Rose
Enrico Mowatt '90
Dave Novosel '77

If this was in the works for years, all of these named are cowards not to give Lenti a heads up. I find it hard to believe that ALL of these people kept that secret for that long.

If it was in the works for years that makes it even closer to when MC won back to back titles, that just doesn't make sense. Lynch was still playing in Canada then. And some of the names you listed I have spoken to didn't make it seem that way at all. Quite the opposite actually

Reactions: mullin17
The bad part for Jordan is that he needs to do as well or better than Lenti for people to forgive and forget. Doing as good or better than the winningest IL HS football coach...almost impossible in today’s world of “football is evil” and lower numbers, etc. Good Luck and God Bless.

The bad part for Jordan is that he needs to do as well or better than Lenti for people to forgive and forget. Doing as good or better than the winningest IL HS football coach...almost impossible in today’s world of “football is evil” and lower numbers, etc. Good Luck and God Bless.
With Maine South and Loyola in weeks 2 and 3....baptism by fire...could be a 1-2 start and let the games begin! I think they will be 7-2 or 6-3 at seasons end though

Do as well or better? In what time frame? Win 11 State championships in your first year? How about Frank’s first couple years vs Jordan’s first couple of years? How about Frank’s last five vs Jordan’s first five? What was the state of the program when Frank took over vs now when Jordan is taking over?

Is it possible that Lynch may have had other options to coach high school football and it was possibly now or never for MC to hire him? Legends are legends however most don't know when to call it a career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT