ADVERTISEMENT

JV football?Not a fan.

I hate to see sophomore football go by the wayside. For me personally, it was kind of my “breakout” year if you will. It gave me a load of confidence going into my varsity years. And frankly, JV typically plays their games on Saturday morning, which honestly, kind of sucks. It was great playing sophomore games on Friday nights, setting the stage for varsity.

As a fan I'd hate to see Friday night JV go by the wayside. I always make the early game as I like to see what the future holds for my home school as well as the other schools in the conference. It's fascinating, and alot of times you can see an Oles, Niro or Trotter coming up and go "that kid's gonna be bigtime".

Its more than that. Its the increase in specialization at earlier ages. 25 years ago, multi-sport athletes were the rule rather than the exception. And now the most common combos are football/track or football/

As many of your know, I have a 7th grader who is one of the top U14 lacrosse players in the midwest and plays competitive games 8 months a year and does offseason work for the balance. And don't worry @ramblinman Loyola is high on our list of high schools.

The primary club season is fall and summer; if you look at the top high school programs, a majority of the top players (and almost all who are going D-1) are playing Lax in the fall because it is the best time when they can play east coast competition.

He made the decision this year to give up football. (more driven by his friends not playing than anything else). I know he isn't the only one.

Lacrosse the new baseball. Lots of money spent on chasing little scholarship money.

As a fan I'd hate to see Friday night JV go by the wayside. I always make the early game as I like to see what the future holds for my home school as well as the other schools in the conference. It's fascinating, and alot of times you can see an Oles, Niro or Trotter coming up and go "that kid's gonna be bigtime".
Sophomore football doesn’t provide you a glimpse into your program’s future?

I disagree on that one,for the last 20 yrs at our Hs I can tell watching them before varsity what we have,also we don’t call up sophomores that much like other schools.Freshman means nothing.Most kids play the position on sophomores that they will on varsity.

Another reason for the loss of the "pre-lim" game before varsity on Friday nights is lack of officials. The scrambling that goes on to staff the games before the varsity game is unprecedented. Moving those pre-lim games to other days provides a much bigger pool of available officials with the assumption that a portion of the varsity officials are willing to work other days.

For large schools with F/S/V, JV on Mondays is the perfect time for seniors who don’t see the field along with juniors that will get their time next year to get reps. 4 to 5 JV games a year can have nothing to do with varsity scheduled teams. AD’s can schedule independently from anywhere in Chicagoland

Reactions: Undercenter3rd1
Lacrosse the new baseball. Lots of money spent on chasing little scholarship money.

I don't think its true now, may well be true in the future as participation exponentially increases but college teams dont grow close to as fast.

If you look at the top 4 travel teams in the area, almost every junior or senior has D1 opportunities if they want them. Also lacrosse rosters are bigger so the 12.6 scholarships are often split over more kids

I don't think its true now, may well be true in the future as participation exponentially increases but college teams dont grow close to as fast.

If you look at the top 4 travel teams in the area, almost every junior or senior has D1 opportunities if they want them. Also lacrosse rosters are bigger so the 12.6 scholarships are often split over more kids

That is kind of the point. Lacrosse rosters in college have 30 to 40 guys and 12.6 spread between them.

Reactions: USD24
That is kind of the point. Lacrosse rosters in college have 30 to 40 guys and 12.6 spread between them.

most high D-1 schools have 40 on roster, but only 25 or so with any money. Typical offer is 33-50%, though some goalies will get well more. Typical recruiting classes are 6 scholarship players and 6 PWOs (about half of whom are cut within 2 years).

I guess my point is that the number of kids playing travel lax in Illinois is WELL below those playing travel baseball. So from a numbers perspective, there is an easier chance to play in college. (even more so if you are female).

The best chance for female athletes to get a athletic scholarship is to be on the Rowing team.

The only sports you get real scholarships money is football and basketball!The rest you get little here and there also some for academics.I have seen so many people in exaggerate or lie.Dont worry about scholarships waste of time.Better shot at walking on,then getting some scholarship money if your that good.Most get Prefered walk on offers.Academics is way to go.

The only sports you get real scholarships money is football and basketball!The rest you get little here and there also some for academics.I have seen so many people in exaggerate or lie.Dont worry about scholarships waste of time.Better shot at walking on,then getting some scholarship money if your that good.Most get Prefered walk on offers.Academics is way to go.

There are many D1 scholarships available where they do not split, so it is 100% or nothing/PWO.

Women’s Gymnastics, 12 scholarships and average roster 16 young Ladies.

Our conference plays FR games on Friday nights before Varsity games, and then JV games Saturday morning. Kids (including Seniors) who don’t play many snaps on Friday night play in JV games. This process has worked very well over the past couple of years.

The new rule that disallows a player from playing on Saturday morning if they play one snap on Friday night is idiotic, and this is what I don’t get. The fact is you will have 11 players on the field playing 48 minutes of football on Friday night and then again on Saturday morning. Are you telling me there is less risk with having a player play 5-7 additional snaps on Friday night after already playing a significant number of snaps then there is with having a player who does not play a lot play those 5-7 snaps and then play on Saturday? Someone is going to have to play those snaps, and my guess is that to preserve a kids ability to play in a JV game the coaches are going to have to play their primary players more in the Varsity game. My thought is that there is more risk with having that fatigued player play those 5-7 additional snaps than having a guy who has not played play those snaps. Bottom line is there are a fixed number of snaps that have to be played over the weekend so you really are not reducing the risk if you don’t let a player play on Saturday because they played 1 snap on Friday. As I said before, idiotic rule.

Reactions: Undercenter3rd1
Our conference plays FR games on Friday nights before Varsity games, and then JV games Saturday morning. Kids (including Seniors) who don’t play many snaps on Friday night play in JV games. This process has worked very well over the past couple of years.

The new rule that disallows a player from playing on Saturday morning if they play one snap on Friday night is idiotic, and this is what I don’t get. The fact is you will have 11 players on the field playing 48 minutes of football on Friday night and then again on Saturday morning. Are you telling me there is less risk with having a player play 5-7 additional snaps on Friday night after already playing a significant number of snaps then there is with having a player who does not play a lot play those 5-7 snaps and then play on Saturday? Someone is going to have to play those snaps, and my guess is that to preserve a kids ability to play in a JV game the coaches are going to have to play their primary players more in the Varsity game. My thought is that there is more risk with having that fatigued player play those 5-7 additional snaps than having a guy who has not played play those snaps. Bottom line is there are a fixed number of snaps that have to be played over the weekend so you really are not reducing the risk if you don’t let a player play on Saturday because they played 1 snap on Friday. As I said before, idiotic rule.
So JV games most likely will be on mon nights?Because of new rule.

Sign of the times, unfortunately. JV will have to move to a weeknight like Monday in order to have some who can play in both. Back to back days are off the table and not enough players for frosh and soph.

Columbus Ohio already has this in play. Many already go from Fresh to JV. No Sophomore team.
Seems to work here.

ADVERTISEMENT