ADVERTISEMENT

JV football?Not a fan.

I think it’s bad long term since kids will quit if they don’t get an opportunity to play. With lack of numbers it’s tough to play all levels but you have to try your best to make it happen.

I also think the CTE storyline has started to fade a little and the overall numbers will slightly tick up over the next few years.

Reactions: McCaravan
I think it’s bad long term since kids will quit if they don’t get an opportunity to play. With lack of numbers it’s tough to play all levels but you have to try your best to make it happen.

I also think the CTE storyline has started to fade a little and the overall numbers will slightly tick up over the next few years.
I agree numbers will tick up a little!

That’s why conferences should be set up by the size of average varsity roster from the last 5 yrs or so!Not the enrollment.So you are playing teams on each level that can compete.people keep talking about drive time.this generation of students and parents have been on travel sports since early youth yrs.

JV allows more kids to play not less. If it was a sophomore game only sophomores can play a JV game opens it up to any grade. So juniors and even seniors who aren’t good enough for varsity can play as well. JV gives way more flexibility to the coaches to get kids playing time. I wouldn’t be opposed to doing away with freshman football and having Varsity, JV A, and JV B. The JV A could be the high end freshmen, the better sophomores, and the few decent juniors and seniors who for whatever reason don’t play varsity while JV B could be the run of the mill freshmen, lower level sophomores, and that occasional 5’4” 90 pound senior that doesn’t know his left from his right but he loves to be on the team and keeps coming out.

JV allows more kids to play not less. If it was a sophomore game only sophomores can play a JV game opens it up to any grade. So juniors and even seniors who aren’t good enough for varsity can play as well. JV gives way more flexibility to the coaches to get kids playing time. I wouldn’t be opposed to doing away with freshman football and having Varsity, JV A, and JV B. The JV A could be stud freshmen, the better sophomores, and the few decent juniors and seniors who for whatever reason don’t play varsity while JV B could be the run of the mill freshmen, lower level sophomores, and that occasional 5’4” 90 pound senior that doesn’t know his left from his right but he loves to be on the team and keeps coming out.

Many of the public’s school in Dupage play Freshman, Sophmore, JV and Varsity so they would be losing a level in that set up,

Many of the public’s school in Dupage play Freshman, Sophmore, JV and Varsity so they would be losing a level in that set up,

The question though sounded like what are your feelings on JV replacing sophomore level football... assuming only 3 levels F/S/V or F/JV/V... if you have all 4 levels then it’s really not a discussion to be had.

Last edited:
JV allows more kids to play not less. If it was a sophomore game only sophomores can play a JV game opens it up to any grade. So juniors and even seniors who aren’t good enough for varsity can play as well. JV gives way more flexibility to the coaches to get kids playing time. I wouldn’t be opposed to doing away with freshman football and having Varsity, JV A, and JV B. The JV A could be the high end freshmen, the better sophomores, and the few decent juniors and seniors who for whatever reason don’t play varsity while JV B could be the run of the mill freshmen, lower level sophomores, and that occasional 5’4” 90 pound senior that doesn’t know his left from his right but he loves to be on the team and keeps coming out.
That is really best way,everyone would have a opportunity at JV A and JV B and still be part of varsity roster

That’s why conferences should be set up by the size of average varsity roster from the last 5 yrs or so!Not the enrollment.So you are playing teams on each level that can compete.people keep talking about drive time.this generation of students and parents have been on travel sports since early youth yrs.

Doe that include or exclude "non-boundary schools?"

I don't think people leaving the state is the reason for less participation in football.

It is a cause of decreasing enrollment, in some cases. If the Illinois population is reduced by 10% over the next 10 years, there will naturally be a 10% drop in enrollment and thus football participation (in gross numbers, not as a percentage of football participation).

This decrease in enrollment is further exacerbated by fewer and fewer kids playing football and gravitating toward lesser impact sports.

A 2500 student school that loses 10% enrollment over the next 10 years will still have 2250 students to pool a football team. If the school has 7% football participation, their roster will shrink from 175 players to 158 players. The real stinker will be if football participation shrinks from 7% to 6% to 5% during that same time, resulting in only 135 and then 112 kids playing football.

In this scenario, a school moving from 4 levels of teams to 3 levels of teams just makes sense and a JV program DOES give coaches the greatest flexibility to work with his players.

Younger generation of parents now have choice of soccer,hockey,lacrosse and football they are starting to realize injury’s are in all these sports!My self and my boys worst injury’s happened in baseball.

Reactions: Gene K.
It is a cause of decreasing enrollment, in some cases. If the Illinois population is reduced by 10% over the next 10 years, there will naturally be a 10% drop in enrollment and thus football participation (in gross numbers, not as a percentage of football participation).

This decrease in enrollment is further exacerbated by fewer and fewer kids playing football and gravitating toward lesser impact sports.

A 2500 student school that loses 10% enrollment over the next 10 years will still have 2250 students to pool a football team. If the school has 7% football participation, their roster will shrink from 175 players to 158 players. The real stinker will be if football participation shrinks from 7% to 6% to 5% during that same time, resulting in only 135 and then 112 kids playing football.

In this scenario, a school moving from 4 levels of teams to 3 levels of teams just makes sense and a JV program DOES give coaches the greatest flexibility to work with his players.
I agree.just think the mentality of JV football has to change a little.Maybe put JV game on Friday before varsity at 5.

The question though sounded like what are your feelings on JV replacing sophomore level football... assuming only 3 levels F/S/V or F/JV/V... if you have all 4 levels then it’s really not a discussion to be had.
Schools playing out of conference games will not have a sophomore team to play.They will have to play a JV team.It happened last yr

I agree.just think the mentality of JV football has to change a little.Maybe put JV game on Friday before varsity at 5.

It's already that way with most private schools and smaller schools. All of the 5A and lower class contests I've seen are JV @ 5 PM, Varisity @ 7:30 PM.

It's already that way with most private schools and smaller schools. All of the 5A and lower class contests I've seen are JV @ 5 PM, Varisity @ 7:30 PM.

New rules might change this next year. Might need to put JV games on Monday based on the rules changing.

JV football should happen the day after Varsity games and should be for those Sops, Juniors, and Seniors who did not get meaningful playing time in the Varsity game. We need to relax the rules for these players (i.e. If you participate in 1 play during the Varsity game you cannot play in the JV game). But, this would have to be a conscious decision made by the head coach and they need to understand the safety/health of players should always trump winning a JV game. Unfortunately, there are guys out there that have the "win at all costs" attitude that will ruin this idea.

JV football should happen the day after Varsity games and should be for those Sops, Juniors, and Seniors who did not get meaningful playing time in the Varsity game. We need to relax the rules for these players (i.e. If you participate in 1 play during the Varsity game you cannot play in the JV game). But, this would have to be a conscious decision made by the head coach and they need to understand the safety/health of players should always trump winning a JV game. Unfortunately, there are guys out there that have the "win at all costs" attitude that will ruin this idea.

Yeah, but the rules have changed so it is what it is.

ESCC had no undercard. Varsity at 7pm and JV and Frosh Saturday.

I hate to see sophomore football go by the wayside. For me personally, it was kind of my “breakout” year if you will. It gave me a load of confidence going into my varsity years. And frankly, JV typically plays their games on Saturday morning, which honestly, kind of sucks. It was great playing sophomore games on Friday nights, setting the stage for varsity.

I hate to see sophomore football go by the wayside. For me personally, it was kind of my “breakout” year if you will. It gave me a load of confidence going into my varsity years. And frankly, JV typically plays their games on Saturday morning, which honestly, kind of sucks. It was great playing sophomore games on Friday nights, setting the stage for varsity.

Sign of the times, unfortunately. JV will have to move to a weeknight like Monday in order to have some who can play in both. Back to back days are off the table and not enough players for frosh and soph.

Reactions: Undercenter3rd1
Sign of the times, unfortunately. JV will have to move to a weeknight like Monday in order to have some who can play in both. Back to back days are off the table and not enough players for frosh and soph.

It will have be Saturday Morning. If game is on Monday, those kids can not practice on Tuesday.

It will have be Saturday Morning. If game is on Monday, those kids can not practice on Tuesday.

Shouldn't they stagger to get more kids in or does the timing of the game not matter, just the number of plays in the varsity game?

If its saturday any guys that get in even 1 play friday night can't play saturday.

The large programs will have a lot to manage without sophomores.which they can field a sophomore team,but teams in there conference can’t so they have to manage 100 man rosters.It will be nice for practices!!lol

Younger generation of parents now have choice of soccer,hockey,lacrosse and football they are starting to realize injury’s are in all these sports!My self and my boys worst injury’s happened in baseball.

Its more than that. Its the increase in specialization at earlier ages. 25 years ago, multi-sport athletes were the rule rather than the exception. And now the most common combos are football/track or football/

As many of your know, I have a 7th grader who is one of the top U14 lacrosse players in the midwest and plays competitive games 8 months a year and does offseason work for the balance. And don't worry @ramblinman Loyola is high on our list of high schools.

The primary club season is fall and summer; if you look at the top high school programs, a majority of the top players (and almost all who are going D-1) are playing Lax in the fall because it is the best time when they can play east coast competition.

He made the decision this year to give up football. (more driven by his friends not playing than anything else). I know he isn't the only one.

As many of your know, I have a 7th grader who is one of the top U14 lacrosse players in the midwest and plays competitive games 8 months a year and does offseason work for the balance. And don't worry @ramblinman Loyola is high on our list of high schools.

Not too many schools other than Loyola that he could attend where he could play varsity lacrosse and varsity football and have a pretty reasonable expectation of playing in a state title game in both sports. I do understand the specialization thing, though. Don't like it, but understand it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT