ADVERTISEMENT

JCA preseason #42

USD24

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Joliet
Joliet Catholic is ranked #42 nationally by perfect game.. Only team from Illinois in the preseason rankings.

I believe they lost today to Joliet West

Haven't seen them play yet. They sit at 6-2. They did lose to JT West. West did beat Minooka, as well, in the WJOL tourney.

I see PBR dropped the Hillmen to #5 in their state-wide rankings. They are scheduled to play at #8 Brother Rice today.

Just goes to show that you can't look to much into ratings... Especially PBR. The metrics look great on paper, however do not always translate into wins on the field. I personally have not seen them play yet, weather permitting I will see them on Thursday, but the word is that they can't hit, and don't field it very well.

Just goes to show that you can't look to much into ratings... Especially PBR. The metrics look great on paper, however do not always translate into wins on the field. I personally have not seen them play yet, weather permitting I will see them on Thursday, but the word is that they can't hit, and don't field it very well.

I have seen them play 4 times this year and your analysis is a little simplistic. The season is young. They are 6-3, not 3-6. Lets see how the season plays out. In regards to hitting, they are averaging 7 runs a game. I would say timely hitting has hurt them in two of their losses. To say that they cant hit is silly. And while they have been sloppy at times in the field, they are averaging just over an error a game in the field. There is a ton of talent there. I will let the season play out before I write them off.

Reactions: Gene K.
I have seen them play 4 times this year and your analysis is a little simplistic. The season is young. They are 6-3, not 3-6. Lets see how the season plays out. In regards to hitting, they are averaging 7 runs a game. I would say timely hitting has hurt them in two of their losses. To say that they cant hit is silly. And while they have been sloppy at times in the field, they are averaging just over an error a game in the field. There is a ton of talent there. I will let the season play out before I write them off.
Would you classify them as overrated? As I said, I have not seen them play, merely going off of people who have. Lately it just seems to be a trend with them, that while being inordinately talented, they have a hard time hitting.

The past few seasons have been a disappointment.
They have probably been the most talented team.

Completely disagree. The last two senior classes were average. Last year's senior class did not have a single D1 kid in it. Two years ago Fellows was the only standout in the class.They were not predicted to do much either year. Last year exceeded expectations. They were 16-2 in conference and were conference champs.
Three years ago was a disappointment. They were preseason #1 and lost in the regionals.

RIght now, I would say yes, they are overrated. I do not think they are the top team in the state. I would put them in the top 15. As I stated earlier. The last two years, they were not a top team by any stretch. The talent they had was young and the last two senior classes were very average.

USD-Please remember they play in 3a. They have had more than enough talent.
How can you say they are overrated?
How many D-1 players do they have?
Overrrated-no.
Under performing-for sure

USD-Please remember they play in 3a. They have had more than enough talent.
How can you say they are overrated?
How many D-1 players do they have?
Overrrated-no.
Under performing-for sure

Two years ago, they were average and Lemont was a better team. (Lemont was the state champion) Last year, I would say they were a pick em to win the regional. Lemont's stud, who is now at Texas Tech shut them down. The last two years, they were not ranked and should not have been. This year is 9 games old. Right now they have under performed. Lets see how the season plays out before you write them off.

The last two years, they were not favored to win their regional. Lemont had a better team both years. The last two years, they were not ranked and should not have been. This year is 9 games old. Right now they have under performed. Lets see how the season plays out before you write them off.
I would agree with you there. Fellows senior year, he was about all they had. Guess we should wait until the temperature gets above 60 to release a verdict...lol

I would agree with you there. Fellows senior year, he was about all they had. Guess we should wait until the temperature gets above 60 to release a verdict...lol

Coalers with JCA and Herscher back to back, be interesting to see who Greg pitches against each

Coalers with JCA and Herscher back to back, be interesting to see who Greg pitches against each
My guess will throw off against JCA as not to show anything against a regional foe. I'm guessing they will do the same

My guess will throw off against JCA as not to show anything against a regional foe. I'm guessing they will do the same

Looks like real good chance Coalers drop down to 2A in baseball and basketball after this spring, be a good change for all the I-8 schools

Coal City/JCA cancelled today due to weather.
I know it will never happen due to it conflicting with football season, but every IHSA baseball season, it occurs to me that they should play in the fall. It's unbelievable how many games get lost to weather.

Reactions: USD24 and Gene K.
I know it will never happen due to it conflicting with football season, but every IHSA baseball season, it occurs to me that they should play in the fall. It's unbelievable how many games get lost to weather.
Or at least move the season back. Start playing in May and finish the season in end of June. I know this wont happen due to graduation and summer ball, but baseball in the spring in northern Illinois is brutal.

Nice pair of wins for JC yesterday in Indy. Beat Cathedral 6-4. Cathedral is top ranked team in Indiana. Also beat Jackson Massillon 12-2. Jackson was defending state champ in Ohio

Last edited:
Very impressive. Great timing as well as I'm sure they are about to start conference play. That group has way too much talent not to have success, along with an experienced and highly respected coaching staff. I know the Tyrell kid has committed to ND... Is he their clear cut #1?

Very impressive. Great timing as well as I'm sure they are about to start conference play. That group has way too much talent not to have success, along with an experienced and highly respected coaching staff. I know the Tyrell kid has committed to ND... Is he their clear cut #1?
I would say Tyrell is the number #1. They have 5 other pitchers that are D1 recruits. So it is a pretty deep staff.
Gould-Memphis
Surin-SLU
Vera-Illinois
Ziegler-Missouri St
Gurka-Minnesota

Nice pair of wins for JC yesterday in Indy. Beat Cathedral 6-4. Cathedral is top ranked team in Indiana. Also beat Jackson Massillon 12-2. Jackson was defending state champ in Ohio
IL teams represented well in this event, the PBR Midwest Select (IL, MI, OH, IN), as follows:

Sandburg 3-0
JCA 2-0
O'Fallon 2-1
Edwardsville 2-1

I would say Tyrell is the number #1. They have 5 other pitchers that are D1 recruits. So it is a pretty deep staff.
Gould-Memphis
Surin-SLU
Vera-Illinois
Ziegler-Missouri St
Gurka-Minnesota
Certainly a formidable lineup to say the least. Would be interesting to see a Hutchings-Tyrell matchup. Hutchings has been absolutely untouchable... But in all fairness, not against the caliber of play JCA faces

Wise counsel, USD. They are now 18-3.

Wise counsel, USD. They are now 18-3.
They are playing well. Have watched the lower levels quite a bit as well. They are really strong. Right now, the three levels are a combined 47-4, including 24-0 in the ESCC.

They are playing well. Have watched the lower levels quite a bit as well. They are really strong. Right now, the three levels are a combined 47-4, including 24-0 in the ESCC.
I was just looking at the lower level success on Gamechanger this weekend. That is impressive. I've only had a chance to see the varsity once this year. I plan to catch them tonight at the former Silver Cross Field against Naz.

Reactions: USD24
Hilltoppers remain hot. Beat Marist yesterday 9-2. Soph Zak Hise pitched CG. Just brought up form soph team last week. 3-0 on varsity. JC has won 17 in a row and is now 23-3 on the season. Play Marist again tonight as Route 66 Stadium on the turf. Combined record of three levels is 61-6

Hilltoppers remain hot. Beat Marist yesterday 9-2. Soph Zak Hise pitched CG. Just brought up form soph team last week. 3-0 on varsity. JC has won 17 in a row and is now 23-3 on the season. Play Marist again tonight as Route 66 Stadium on the turf. Combined record of three levels is 61-6
Caught the sophs. against Carmel this weekend. They have some nice talent. I noticed there was a heavy St. Ray's contingent on the sophs. I believe their St. Ray's team finished second in 2A in the IESA baseball tournament, when they were in 8th grade. St. Paul's won 1A that year, and Coal City won 3A. The Joliet area continues to produce baseball talent.

Wow a baseball board! I didn't know it was here ancd I had access!! I damn near missed the entire season! NV looks really really scary. I saw one of their games and I think they only have 1 loss. Only 4 classes in baseball correct? makes it way tougher to win a title!!

Correct, Voodoo. NV is the #1 team in the state. But, it's baseball, so anything can happen in a single elim. tournament.

Wow a baseball board! I didn't know it was here ancd I had access!! I damn near missed the entire season! NV looks really really scary. I saw one of their games and I think they only have 1 loss. Only 4 classes in baseball correct? makes it way tougher to win a title!!
Especially difficult in 4A. A lot of real good teams. I am not a big fan of IHSA baseball tourney. Single elimination in baseball really makes the regular season almost meaningless. Everyone gets in, so you are just playing for seedings. Face one great pitcher and you could be done.

Especially difficult in 4A. A lot of real good teams. I am not a big fan of IHSA baseball tourney. Single elimination in baseball really makes the regular season almost meaningless. Everyone gets in, so you are just playing for seedings. Face one great pitcher and you could be done.

Totally agree.

An average “Team” with an exceptional pitcher can knock out “the best team” in the first or second game of the single elimination tourney.

That said - the team with the most depth in the pitching staff ( but not having one of the best individual pitchers) and a quality offensive lineup,.... should more times than not win the state title or be in the mix at the end. Even in a single elimination tourney.

I would much prefer a very slimmed down group of teams making the playoffs (even more exclusive than the football 5-4 cutoff) and have teams play a 3 game series over 4 or 5 days and then 3 days later play the next 3 game series.

Looks like Minooka sophs and JCA sophs are both in a JV tournament at LWW this upcoming Friday and Saturday. Could match up there for a really nice baseball game. I think Minooka just lost its first game of the year recently.

ADVERTISEMENT