ADVERTISEMENT

JCA Football Numbers

Only good thing about a tough schedule is that you can probably get in 5a playoffs with 4 wins. I think last year there was 2 teams that went to playoffs with 4 wins. That is going to be more common in all these conferences especially the escc. Only other thought is that JCA thinks if they can’t beat the best, then you aren’t the best, is there thought.

only way to get into playoffs with 4 wins is if you win the conference title

except for the fact that JCA has had plenty of teams that have started 0-2 and finished quite well.
You're speaking of teams in the past that have started 0-2, then would inevitably run the table in conference play. Huge difference.

Curious as to why you like a tough schedule for a program looking to recover. I agree if this was 5 or 10 years ago and the program would win 5 games even with an 0-2 start. But for this current program the first goal has to be making the playoffs and that can be destroyed with the wrong first two opponents. Just my thoughts.
Spot on. Until they prove otherwise, JCA is now a small fish in the ESCC pond. They will get ample challenges in the conference. I think they actually could make some noise in the 5A playoffs this year, if they got a decent draw. However, they will have to make the playoffs first. With that schedule, the odds are stacked against them, IMO.

Reactions: McCaravan
This is the Senior class that was up as Sophs correct? Shouldn't this be one of their better teams?

Reactions: penlight
Well.....PJJP,
Let's take a look at the schedule (ESCC that is)

wk 3 Viator=W
wk 4 Carmel=W
wk 5 Marist=L
wk 6 Benet=PK em
wk 7 Marian=W
wk 8 Naz=L
wk 9 ND=W (maybe should be pk em)
20 years ago-you would have never thought it-But if you can beat Benet-You're in!

This is the Senior class that was up as Sophs correct? Shouldn't this be one of their better teams?
Yes. They will be better than the last two years, but this Sr. class needs to prove they can win. The varsity has gone 1-8 and 3-6 the last two years.

Well.....PJJP,
Let's take a look at the schedule (ESCC that is)

wk 3 Viator=W
wk 4 Carmel=W
wk 5 Marist=L
wk 6 Benet=PK em
wk 7 Marian=W
wk 8 Naz=L
wk 9 ND=W (maybe should be pk em)
20 years ago-you would have never thought it-But if you can beat Benet-You're in!
ND beat JCA 34-0 last year. They also were undefeated on both lower levels and return the ESCC Player of the Year in RB Ty Gavin. And the game is in Niles. ND is the clear favorite.

You also have to look at possible attrition with a schedule like that for a 5A team. They are not deep. A few key injuries could derail them. We all have our opinions. If I was putting together a schedule for a 5A team that has won a combined 4 games the last two years, I would not schedule the non-cons that they have. But, I have no idea how difficult it is to get games, so it's easy for me to say that.

Benet is a win. They should of beat benet last year. ND is probably a loss. But I believe they win one of the first two. That’s five wins. Marist is interesting though. Last year, the juniors had Marist in termoil just before half time. Marist got a gift of a td with no time on the clock at half time. The refs blew the call on the kid who step out of bounds at the two yard line. The ref on the side the kid stepped out, ruled him out of bounce the ref on the other side of the field called him in. They overturned the out of bounce call. The ihsa admitted two weeks later, they were wrong on the call. JCA should of been tied at half time. The point is, Marist had how many d1 linemen? It was all juniors for JCA on the line. No seniors. I know Marist isn’t as strong as last year. I think this game will be closer then you think. But you are correct on saying MUST stay healthy. It can go sideways if they don’t. Your also right on scheduling two tough non conference games. And yes, this team does need confidence. A win against Rita will go a long way.

Analyzing the schedule have to split with SR/IC and Benet/ND to get to 5. I know IC and ND bring back a ton. SR lost a lot. Not sure on Benet.

Benet brings back on offense - the starting QB and 2 OL. They went running back by committee last year and a number of RBs that carried ball last year comeback. All WR's that saw large amounts of playing time were seniors, so will need to replace all of them.

Defense brings back all of DL, one LB, and 2 of 4 DBs.

Sophomore team was decent, 6-3 last year. Good size in the lines.

Benet plays JCA at the end of stretch where they go ND at home, Naz at home, and then JCA on the road.

The refs blew the call on the kid who step out of bounds at the two yard line. The ref on the side the kid stepped out, ruled him out of bounce the ref on the other side of the field called him in. They overturned the out of bounce call. The ihsa admitted two weeks later, they were wrong on the call. .

The ihsa made a statement on an officials judgement call in a regular season game? Missed that one. That seems out of “bounce” on their part

Reactions: Hillini74
Benet is a win. They should of beat benet last year. ND is probably a loss. But I believe they win one of the first two. That’s five wins. Marist is interesting though. Last year, the juniors had Marist in termoil just before half time. Marist got a gift of a td with no time on the clock at half time. The refs blew the call on the kid who step out of bounds at the two yard line. The ref on the side the kid stepped out, ruled him out of bounce the ref on the other side of the field called him in. They overturned the out of bounce call. The ihsa admitted two weeks later, they were wrong on the call. JCA should of been tied at half time. The point is, Marist had how many d1 linemen? It was all juniors for JCA on the line. No seniors. I know Marist isn’t as strong as last year. I think this game will be closer then you think. But you are correct on saying MUST stay healthy. It can go sideways if they don’t. Your also right on scheduling two tough non conference games. And yes, this team does need confidence. A win against Rita will go a long way.
No way a wing in a Varsity game on the other side of the field is going to have any say so on in/out call opposite his sideline! I call BS

Reactions: Chief321
Call bs all you want. I Was at the game. Ref on far sideline marked the spot the kid stepped out at the one yard line. The ref on the other side and the Marist coach ran to the ref who marked the spot. Coach should of never been down the field either screaming. It was complete chaos. Never seen anything like it. When they overturned it and called it a touchdown, it was comical. JCA coach was furious. While walking out, I was talking to some Marist parents and they even said he was out of bounds. Outcome would of probably been the same with Marist winning, but the point was the game would of been tied at halftime with a all junior offensive line bs Marist d1 defense. That was the point I was trying to make.

Explain, please how you chalk Benet up as a win?

ADVERTISEMENT