ADVERTISEMENT

JCA Fans--What say you?

Secondo1

Aug 29, 2011
As was said earlier in the week, a loss to Pat's would be tough for making it to the playoffs, and to lose this game with about a minute to go was gut-wrenching.

On the positive side, the offense showed a bit more creativity in the second half with some QB keepers which produced 2 TD's and a 2pt. conversion. So, there's that. Plus a little more passing. However, a fumble hurt when they were marching for another score.

Defensively, giving up a TD at the end of the first half and at the end of the game were killers, but no more than the Pat's return of the 2nd half kick-off 98 yards for a TD. However, JCA fought back and took the lead after being down 9 points in the second half. That was excellent!

Still, as is traditional, JCA cannot stop a passing game, but with all of these juniors on the team, the hope is they will learn for next year. Of course, that is assuming the schemes they are being coached are correct.

And, while mathematically, they can still make the playoffs, it does not look like a wager anyone would take. ND, NAZ, MCC, Benet, Marist and MC left of the schedule. Where will 4 more wins come from..

Let the rebuild continue and no matter what--Go, Hill!

Denfensive coaching/ play making and defensive calls weren't great. I'm not a fan of the d coordinator. Haven't been since he came. However with that said they just didn't make plays on defense. It was crazy to me week one they had two defensive ends that good pretty good pressure on the qb, this past game one of those d ends didn't play at all and the other one played maybe 10 plays. I was told it's because they wanted to get bigger on the d line so the player some o line guys both ways. Well their line got destroyed with runs up the middle and dink and dunk passes. So like I said not a big fan of the d coordinator and his schemes. But it comes down to making plays. We didn't make them, bad mistakes and special teams was horrible.

Yeah, the outlook is bleak. Wasn't crazy about the clock management at the end of the game. As stated, special teams killed them. And, I've been very disappointed by the play of the O-line after Week 1. I expected that to be a strength, and quite simply, it's not. Pat's had given up 49 and 34 the first two weeks. Putting up 29 against a bad defense wasn't good enough.

Overall, the lack of physicality of this team is also disappointing. From the O-line to the defense, I thought they got it taken to them physically the last two weeks. JCA's identity used to be physical play. That's no longer the case. And one of their starting LB's goes down, and a safety is moved in as his replacement, that does not improve the physicality of the defense.

Lastly, JCA fans should be concerned about the overall culture of the program. They consistently lose on the lower levels. They won one game on the varsity level last year. They look like they are in line to win 2 or 3 this year. Losing can be contagious. The current Jr. class has talent, but they won't get much help in terms of numbers or contributions from the current sophs. I'm starting to question what can be expected next year as well. Then again, if the numbers I've heard are accurate for the current Frosh class, football considerations are a secondary concern.

Exactly correct on the physicality! The kids are putting in the effort for sure, but are in a tough spot. The program is down and with enrollment going down as well, it makes it all the tougher for football compared to the other sports. Plus, we can no longer play with the big boys as in the past. Our schedule of 7A8A schools, which used to be a badge of honor, is now the sword we fall on, and will continue to keep us out of the playoffs. If next year is not a very good year, then I don't know what will happen. Maybe 4A??

My concerns have been the Defense and clearly still are.
What is most disappointing to me is sloppy special teams play.
Tough sledding the rest of the way.
Next week is a big game as at 2-2 they would have a puncher's chance to get to 5 wins, but 1-3 would be a tough spot from which to recover.

Yeah, the outlook is bleak. Wasn't crazy about the clock management at the end of the game. As stated, special teams killed them. And, I've been very disappointed by the play of the O-line after Week 1. I expected that to be a strength, and quite simply, it's not. Pat's had given up 49 and 34 the first two weeks. Putting up 29 against a bad defense wasn't good enough.

Overall, the lack of physicality of this team is also disappointing. From the O-line to the defense, I thought they got it taken to them physically the last two weeks. JCA's identity used to be physical play. That's no longer the case. And one of their starting LB's goes down, and a safety is moved in as his replacement, that does not improve the physicality of the defense.

Lastly, JCA fans should be concerned about the overall culture of the program. They consistently lose on the lower levels. They won one game on the varsity level last year. They look like they are in line to win 2 or 3 this year. Losing can be contagious. The current Jr. class has talent, but they won't get much help in terms of numbers or contributions from the current sophs. I'm starting to question what can be expected next year as well. Then again, if the numbers I've heard are accurate for the current Frosh class, football considerations are a secondary concern.

As a spectator, you make some valid points regarding physicality and special teams. Anyone with football knowledge who attended the last two games could identify those areas of weakness.

However, I take issue with your statements regarding the culture of the program. Unless you are a current player or coach, you have no basis to judge the culture of the program today. Culture cannot be judged by an outsider or measured by stats. Culture references immeasurables that are not observable by a spectator, but experienced by those involved with the program every day.

Reactions: USD24 and penlight
As a spectator, you make some valid points regarding physicality and special teams. Anyone with football knowledge who attended the last two games could identify those areas of weakness.

However, I take issue with your statements regarding the culture of the program. Unless you are a current player or coach, you have no basis to judge the culture of the program today. Culture cannot be judged by an outsider or measured by stats. Culture references immeasurables that are not observable by a spectator, but experienced by those involved with the program every day.

Winning and losing are contagious when you are a winning program no matter the score the kids believe they will win but when you are where JCA is you have to be concerned about the "here we go again mentality" setting in with the team. They may have a great culture now but continued losing will erode it eventually. Just my two cents.

Fair enough. Clown echoed the concerns I voiced. My original post may be the type of thing that is better left unsaid. I'll say this. They played hard Friday night. There is no lack of effort.

PJJP
What is the estimated enrollment of the 2021 class?
In the past I have heard that 200/class is the target.

Amen

I could be wrong but JCA used to get a good amount of Plainfield kids. Well by this point most of those families that moved out their from the city in the early 2000s have been sending their kids to the Plainfield high schools after sending them through the district since Kindergarten .

Reactions: USD24
I could be wrong but JCA used to get a good amount of Plainfield kids. Well by this point most of those families that moved out their from the city in the early 2000s have been sending their kids to the Plainfield high schools after sending them through the district since Kindergarten .
Check the rosters PC and Naz both have large numbers of Plainfield kids playing football and waving at each other every morning as their busses cross paths on Route 59

629 total enrollment.
I agree the biggest concern has to be the students from Plainfield passing through Joliet to get to Providence.

Winning and losing are contagious when you are a winning program no matter the score the kids believe they will win but when you are where JCA is you have to be concerned about the "here we go again mentality" setting in with the team. They may have a great culture now but continued losing will erode it eventually. Just my two cents.
I would estimate the 75% of the incoming frosh football players have zero tackle football experience at JCA. When it comes to that, they are at a huge disadvantage against all of the other teams in the ESCC. It would also probably be wise to stop scheduling the Wheaton Norths of the world... JCA just can't hang with those types of programs anymore. Coming into this season, I honestly saw them as a 4-5 team at best. But the bottom line is, and someone touched on it in an earlier reply, in the coming years, football is the least of the concerns at JCA.... Dwindling enrollment is.

Hope JCA can get back to their glory days. JCA has always been a great school with a great tradition in athletics and academics.

Check the rosters PC and Naz both have large numbers of Plainfield kids playing football and waving at each other every morning as their busses cross paths on Route 59
Prowler 2018 and Redmen,

Just checked the rosters as you asked…

JCA has 107 football players in the program (49 varsity, 27 sophomore, 31 freshmen). Checked the program this week and the Hilltoppers have 36 football players in the program from Joliet, 33 from Plainfield, and 15 from Shorewood (their three largest area feeders). I’m looking hard at Providence and Nazareth’s rosters and coming up with the following.

Providence – 63 varsity, 33 sophomore, 37 frosh (133 total in program)

Nazareth – 53 varsity, 28 sophomore, 34 freshman (115 total…and tough to figure out with so many players listed at multiple levels).

Providence – 1 freshman from Plainfield
1 freshman from Shorewood

Nazareth – 1 freshman from Joliet/Plainfield
1 sophomore from Plainfield

*There very well could be additional kids form Joliet/Plainfield on both rosters at the varsity level, but none are Joliet/Plainfield recognizable names from feeder football program…so again I doubt that it is significant, especially when you consider the school's enrollment breakdowns by geographical region.

Based on the research I have done, the comments that Provi and Naz' rosters and schools are loaded with Plainfield kids just doesn't hold true.

Reactions: Gene K.
629 total enrollment.
I agree the biggest concern has to be the students from Plainfield passing through Joliet to get to Providence.
JCA has 182 students from Plainfield, Providence has 52. That does not seem to be the problem. JCA is not losing students to Providence and Naz, it is losing students to the public schools in the area. An issue that many private schools are dealing with.

Reactions: Hillini74
Prowler 2018 and Redmen,

JCA has 107 football players in the program (49 varsity, 27 sophomore, 31 freshmen). Checked the program this week and the Hilltoppers have 36 football players in the program from Joliet, 33 from Plainfield, and 15 from Shorewood (their three largest area feeders). I’m looking hard at Providence and Nazareth’s rosters and coming up with the following.

Nazareth – 53 varsity, 28 sophomore, 34 freshman (115 total…and tough to figure out with so many players listed at multiple levels).

*There very well could be additional kids form Joliet/Plainfield on both rosters at the varsity level, but none are Joliet/Plainfield recognizable names from feeder football program…so again I doubt that it is significant, especially when you consider the school's enrollment breakdowns by geographical region.

Based on the research I have done, the comments that Provi and Naz' rosters and schools are loaded with Plainfield kids just doesn't hold true.

I think he was saying varsity roster. Theres a full bus that leaves planfield everyday.

I think he was saying varsity roster. Theres a full bus that leaves planfield everyday.

A full bus of football players from Plainfield to Naz? There are only 53 players on Naz' roster. Are they all from Plainfield?

Prowler 2018 and Redmen,

That doesn't seem to bad to me, maybe I'm wrong. But to have 107 out for football with a total of 629 kids in the school? I would say good job!

Back in the day JCHS used to take some of the best talent out of Lockport. That used to really aggravate me. No idea how many players at JCA are from Lockport but my guess is not many. It wasn't too long ago I couldn't imagine this program in this much trouble. I gotta feel their best days are behind them when I see posts from guys saying JCA might not make the playoffs and they should change their schedule because they can't compete with some programs.

Whoever said the problem with JCA is the fact they are losing students to the public schools in the area is spot on.

Back in the day JCHS used to take some of the best talent out of Lockport. That used to really aggravate me. No idea how many players at JCA are from Lockport but my guess is not many. It wasn't too long ago I couldn't imagine this program in this much trouble. I gotta feel their best days are behind them when I see posts from guys saying JCA might not make the playoffs and they should change their schedule because they can't compete with some programs.

Whoever said the problem with JCA is the fact they are losing students to the public schools in the area is spot on.
I'm guessing many of those Lockport people are going to Provi now. Back in the day, when JC was an all-boys school at their old location near downtown Joliet, that location was more conducive to prospective Lockport students. After combing with St. Francis and moving to the Larkin Ave. location, it's no longer as convenient. I'm guessing most of the kids they now get from the Lockport district reside in Crest Hill.

Prowler 2018 and Redmen,

I have some good friends at Nazareth and know enough to know those numbers are very inaccurate. I couldn't tell you what the correct ones are though.

JCA has 182 students from Plainfield, Providence has 52. That does not seem to be the problem. JCA is not losing students to Providence and Naz, it is losing students to the public schools in the area. An issue that many private schools are dealing with.
When I was in high school in the late 80s early 90s, I want to say that catholic high school tuitions were around $2500 give or take. If I'm not mistaken, tuition at JCA is what, $13000? In my opinion, what they have done is make it unattainable for many lower middle class families to send kids to these institutions as the tuition hike has grown disproportionate to what people are making. Not to mention, this is not Chicago, where many kids have no choice but to go to Catholic schools to get a quality education. I think people are starting to realize that you don't have to pony up 52 grand to get a good education in the Joliet area.

Reactions: Hillini74

Doesn't Provi pull a lot from the suburbs to the east of new Lenox? Tinley, Orland Park, Frankfort?

I have some good friends at Nazareth and know enough to know those numbers are very inaccurate. I couldn't tell you what the correct ones are though.

What numbers? I took the numbers right from their program. I recognized one frosh and one soph from the Joliet/Plaifield area and clearly stated there very well could be more. My point is, that contrary to what some posters are suggesting, Naz and Providence are not the reasons the football and overall numbers are down at JCA

What numbers? I took the numbers right from their program. I recognized one frosh and one soph from the Joliet/Plaifield area and clearly stated there very well could be more. My point is, that contrary to what some posters are suggesting, Naz and Providence are not the reasons the football and overall numbers are down at JCA
At least 6-7 in the Soph class alone, that I know of.

CoM is starting to feel the effect of losing kids to the publics, I believe because of a decrease in freshman enrollment, numerous teaching positions were eliminated to help balance the budget. Annual tuition increases don't help combined with property taxes in Lake county. I know from when my 1st started till my last graduated at CoM we saw an increase over $4K and that was within 6 yrs. local catholic feeder schools are down in enrollment as well.

CoM is starting to feel the effect of losing kids to the publics, I believe because of a decrease in freshman enrollment, numerous teaching positions were eliminated to help balance the budget. Annual tuition increases don't help combined with property taxes in Lake county. I know from when my 1st started till my last graduated at CoM we saw an increase over $4K and that was within 6 yrs. local catholic feeder schools are down in enrollment as well.
Vouchers will help Catholic enrollment tremendously.

Reactions: ignazio and MR. "T"
Prowler 2018 and Redmen,

I'm not sure on Provi but I know Naz is carrying 8-Varsity kids, who all contribute heavily from Plainfield daily on the bus...I don't know if it's a factor in the lack of results at JCA lately or not? I'm simply stating there are a lot of kids

I personally know of 3 freshman who are athletes carpooling from Plainfield to Providence- 1 of them is seeing major tick at JV this fall.

He followed your instructions and reported what Facts he found.
You do not like what he found so you are steadfastly clinging to your Alternative Facts.
Good god.

He followed your instructions and reported what Facts he found.
You do not like what he found so you are steadfastly clinging to your Alternative Facts.
Good god.
How is he recognizing names facts he found? He knows every single Plainfield /Joliet kid? Naz doesn't state where kids are from on their roster.

A full bus of football players from Plainfield to Naz? There are only 53 players on Naz' roster. Are they all from Plainfield?
small bus not a big yellow one. The small white Naz buses.

Then why did he direct USD24 to the Naz roster in the first place?
So we have USD24 and Prowler2018 debating with each's Alternative Facts as their basis.
If Naz has Prowler's numbers from P'Ville, they should be promoting it.
We'll take Prowler's word for it and presume Naz has a bus load of Plainfield kids within their program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT