ADVERTISEMENT

JB just restricted all IL sports

sporthog9er

Jun 9, 2001
Press conf now. Said all school, travel, park district sports have new restrictions and guidelines. Mentioned IHSA meeting now but seemed to want to interject first. Sports are categorized in different groups for level of risk. Football in most risk. Beginning Aug 15, certain sports can play games like tennis and baseball. Football would be training only.

Press conf now. Said all school, travel, park district sports have new restrictions and guidelines. Mentioned IHSA meeting now but seemed to want to interject first. Sports are categorized in different groups for level of risk. Football in most risk. Beginning Aug 15, certain sports can play games like tennis and baseball. Football would be training only.
Was very general didn't give any real details mentioned IHSA is meeting now to sort it all out.

You must type a little faster than me!

Reactions: sporthog9er
This is just perfect timing as Indiana says they are full go. JB said documents online but can't find anything

I don't understand waiting for an August 15th implementation. If the opinion is it will not be safe to conduct certain activities in two weeks, how is it safe to do so now? I'm not looking for more government oversight, I'm looking for consistency.

I don't understand waiting for an August 15th implementation. If the opinion is it will not be safe to conduct certain activities in two weeks, how is it safe to do so now? I'm not looking for more government oversight, I'm looking for consistency.

Probably gets any previously scheduled and paid for summer tournaments done and over with... baseball, soccer, lacrosse, etc

This is ridiculous. The only place that I know of covid being transmitted in high school kids have been associated with grad parties and basketball. It amazes me that it is a medium sport and several kids around me all on the same team have test positive or have been self-quarantined because they were on the same team. Meanwhile, have been to multiple states playing lacrosse if higher risk sport and have heard of 2 players that think they picked it up at a social event so missed the event and these were kids from the northeast.

What is the difference? other than basketball being a medium risk and lacrosse being a higher risk.

One simple thing one is played indoor with extended contact between players the whole game and one is outdoor with more players on the field and spread out on an entire field and then on top of that my son plays defense with a 6' pole so he is at least that far away from the man he is guarding unless he has the ball and the time that players usually has it is for less then 10 seconds and then the ball is moving or a shot is taken.

Common sense has just flown out the barn door. The sports they need to be worried about are the indoor sports right now. Not outdoor ones on large fields, like football and lacrosse.

Wonder if IESA is kicking themselves for cancelling softball baseball and XC now
I would think it will be somewhat easy to role this decision back, if they so choose. Still plenty of time to get everything in place.

So they can spread this imminent threat for the next three weeks? If it’s as dangerous as he says any delay in implementation is negligent or just politics, you decide?
There is no imminent threat other than basketball right now.

This is ridiculous. The only place that I know of covid being transmitted in high school kids have been associated with grad parties and basketball. It amazes me that it is a medium sport and several kids around me all on the same team have test positive or have been self-quarantined because they were on the same team. Meanwhile, have been to multiple states playing lacrosse if higher risk sport and have heard of 2 players that think they picked it up at a social event so missed the event and these were kids from the northeast.

What is the difference? other than basketball being a medium risk and lacrosse being a higher risk.

One simple thing one is played indoor with extended contact between players the whole game and one is outdoor with more players on the field and spread out on an entire field and then on top of that my son plays defense with a 6' pole so he is at least that far away from the man he is guarding unless he has the ball and the time that players usually has it is for less then 10 seconds and then the ball is moving or a shot is taken.

Common sense has just flown out the barn door. The sports they need to be worried about are the indoor sports right now. Not outdoor ones on large fields, like football and lacrosse.
Interestingly, 7v7/Flag Football is specifically labeled under "Medium Risk"

That is exactly what he said it was for. But, again, what will change to make LAX more unsafe to play in 2 weeks then where we are now?
LAX is safer than basketball. Witnessed myself for the last month. God i am going to be logging airmiles to Maryland if they cancel football.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
Interestingly, 7v7/Flag Football is specifically labeled under "Medium Risk"
Exactly LAX is no different than 7x7/Flag Football if it is played correctly.
So done with this place. Probably need to relocated to the Long Island apartment for the fall if this keeps, as much as I prefer the burbs here at least things are not shutting down and getting worse there.

Is anybody aware if any other state has operated this way? (Gov stepping in, state association deferring to gov, back and forth etc)

It's amazing how this has unfolded. I wonder if ihsa knew JB was doing this today. Would think so but who knows. The Q and A at 4pm should be real good.

Incredible how many other states were able to make easier decisions and roll plans out. And yet here we are.

Reactions: Gene K.
Already heard from some lawyers. Gov has zero authority to restrict out of state activity per phase four. Teams can schedule games in other states without restriction assuming other states will take them

Reactions: jforney2440
So they can spread this imminent threat for the next three weeks? If it’s as dangerous as he says any delay in implementation is negligent or just politics, you decide?

I don’t disagree, and was just giving the likely thought process. Probably didn’t want the state to get any financial suits over covering financial losses.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Already heard from some lawyers. Gov has zero authority to restrict out of state activity per phase four. Teams can schedule games in other states without restriction assuming other states will take them
But couldn't he quarantine the whole team upon returning to Illinois?

But couldn't he quarantine the whole team upon returning to Illinois?

potentially if it was in a "restricted" state. My lawyer buddy told me that anything a government does to restrict what you do legally in another state is pretty much illegal due to "interstate commerce" clause of Constitution. Im not a legal scholar and barely passed my illinois constitution exam to graduate so really dont have any perspective beyond this.

Reactions: Gene K.
Is anybody aware if any other state has operated this way? (Gov stepping in, state association deferring to gov, back and forth etc)

It's amazing how this has unfolded. I wonder if ihsa knew JB was doing this today. Would think so but who knows. The Q and A at 4pm should be real good.

Incredible how many other states were able to make easier decisions and roll plans out. And yet here we are.
Yesterday, the Ohio governor suspended all scrimmages for football and all other contact sports.

Other than that I have not read a ton of other states intervening like Illinois

Seeing reports on Twitter now that IHSA was not informed of JB's announcement. Will be interesting

ADVERTISEMENT