ADVERTISEMENT

In State Recruiting still a puzzle for Illini

Lovie isn’t doing a great job of making inroads with in state high school coaches either. That doesn’t help anything

$4 million dollars per year for this hack. Tell me Lovie defenders, still think you are getting your money's worth?

Reactions: ClownBaby
$4 million dollars per year for this hack. Tell me Lovie defenders, still think you are getting your money's worth?
I don't qualify as a Lovie defender, just a reasonable perspective guy. The Illini have been awful since I can remember with a couple decent seasons sprinkled in. Lovie is not the problem, I didn't like Beckman or the clown that followed him, but they were not the problem either.

There's just not much pride in going to Illinois from the state. That is a major rebuild there that will take more than 3 years even if you're Nick Saban. He'd probably have them in Big 10 contention with his 1st senior class though.

It's not all on Lovie, but he was a terrible choice if recruiting IL was the goal. He thought apparently he could just say "I coached the Bears"

Reactions: Anomalyout28
Illini haven’t done great in state, but I feel that this 2019 class is a big step forward with a few key recruits potentially making it great if we can get the commitments.

Lovie literally started with nothing. There isn’t much of a reason we should be getting at bats with some of the recruits we are.

We seem to have built a good pipeline to Phillips which is certainly a great school to start with. Cory Patterson has been huge connecting the stable of Trinity Catholic kids - if we close on the LB Cooper and OT Henry from there the class is awesome. More broadly Patterson seems to have opened greater STL which is close to in state for Champaign. We also seem to be doing better in Texas which is likely Lovie. Nickerson has linked in a few west coast recruits. In short, if we do well out of state now to build up talent we should be happy as we really need to turn things around to make the recruiting road much smoother

ADVERTISEMENT