ADVERTISEMENT

Illini

SWsuburbs4

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2017
Could this be the turning point?

Lovie gets a commitment from #54 overall recruit Marquez Beason out of Texas and is now looking strong with #28 overall & 5 star QB Isaiah Williams out of STL. The QB goes to Trinity Catholic (Illinois just hired their head coach as their TE coach) and they have multiple other highly rated recruits.

Last edited:
You're stuck in a conference with Meyer, Frost, D'Antonio, Fleck, etc...all of those programs aren't going away anytime soon. Hopefully they just start to show some sort of competitiveness in games.

You're stuck in a conference with Meyer, Frost, D'Antonio, Fleck, etc...all of those programs aren't going away anytime soon. Hopefully they just start to show some sort of competitiveness in games.

The Big Ten West is not that daunting...

And this isn't about winning conference championships. This is about becoming relevant once again.

Reactions: USD24 and BBCHS77
I'm an NIU guy, but as a matter of state pride (what little I have left) would love to see U of I become competitive in football. There is too much football talent right here in Illinois to not be competitive.

Could this be the turning point?

Lovie gets a commitment from #54 overall recruit Marquez Beason out of Texas and is now looking strong with #28 overall & 5 star QB Isaiah Williams out of STL. The QB goes to Trinity Catholic (Illinois just hired their head coach as their TE coach) and they have multiple other highly rated recruits.

It’s one thing to get a commitment and it’s another thing to actually sign them. It will be a struggle to keep them when the Illini only win 2-3 games and the other teams recruiting them are in contention for a National title.

I have heard this two other times this month. The 3 Thorns to the Southland leaving 10 in the SWSC, is what I have heard. I fail to understand all the secrecy in these matters, particularly from the SWSC. You would think some matter of national security is being guarded. Open up!

All.... I see 8A and 7A subject thread teams to beat in 2018. With the domination of Prairie Ridge in 6A these past two seasons and "superman" now gone one would think this class needs put up as well. Quite curious what teams out of the north will be favorites and how open this class might be. Inquiring minds want to know. (lol) Ratsy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyherald.com/amp-article/20180223/sports/180229400/

Huge hire for Prospect, HUGE! Dan Deboeuf new hire for Prospect football.

Anybody know what these occasional contributors (Beth Long, Joe Hendricksen, etc.) to the Chicago newspaper dailies do with the rest of their time? Are they beat reporters out in the 'burbs as their main gig? What kinds of background qualify them for the exposure received? Just askin' ....

Alot of truth in what Clown said...but they seem to have some early momentum and that's never a bad thing...long way to go tho

It's happening..........

DY-Y6gPXcAALdj6.jpg

Signing Day is still 9 months away.

Strong early start for Illini good to see. I still say they have to survive late August thru November because as in the recent past empty stands and losing seasons do zero to help keep kids from not looking elsewhere.

Strong early start for Illini good to see. I still say they have to survive late August thru November because as in the recent past empty stands and losing seasons do zero to help keep kids from not looking elsewhere.

Recruiting is all about momentum. These kids know what they are signing up for. They know very well about Illinois' recent on the field struggles. If these kids were worried about current on-field success they would never have committed. They are committing for the vision Lovie has put forward for the future.

here is the Illini's problem, they have a very, very, very bare cupboard. assuming they land a solid class, they still have only two classes of real depth, but no proven competitive depth.

i much rather be filling a few spots of immediate need and stashing redshirts, a la the successful teams in the conference.

If Milan, Green and Verdis can all get on the field they will FINALLY have some semblance of DT depth. But that's an if considering nobody has stayed on the field lately and two of them are FR. The talent is there though.

Smalling and Dudek are great, but new grad transfer Shaedon Meadors is a nasty deepthreat. Cam will have weapons.

Reactions: all4theillini
Recruiting is all about momentum. These kids know what they are signing up for. They know very well about Illinois' recent on the field struggles. If these kids were worried about current on-field success they would never have committed. They are committing for the vision Lovie has put forward for the future.

In the real world this sounds great but the reality is other schools will be recruiting them just as hard or even harder now....again certainly hope for the Illini sake you are right but....not exactly my first trip around the recruiting block..

Very nostalgic talking about Juice Williams. I remember Juice and the QB from Morgan Park being the 2 headline QBs from that class. However, the MP QBs name escapes me. I think he went to Notre Dame, then Cincy right?

The Big Ten West is not that daunting...

And this isn't about winning conference championships. This is about becoming relevant once again.

Relevant and U of I football should never be used in the same sentence. Especially with Lovie at the helm.

Relevant and U of I football should never be used in the same sentence. Especially with Lovie at the helm.

You’re right. The Bears have been MUCH more relevant since they booted Lovie. And it’s been 10 years since the Illini made the Rose Bowl. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say relevant and Illini were used in the same sentence then.

You’re right. The Bears have been MUCH more relevant since they booted Lovie. And it’s been 10 years since the Illini made the Rose Bowl. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say relevant and Illini were used in the same sentence then.

Wow..1 whole season. Lots to hang that helmet on.

Don't you want and expect more? I am not an alum there and I do.

But keep trusting in Lovie.

Why all the hate toward Lovie? My memory is, he and Mike Ditka are the only Bears coaches to take the team to the SB. And Ditka's teams were far better. Ditka had far more talent. Personally, outside the one whole SB championship, Ditka's teams underachieved badly. And I am tired of seeing those guys living off that one whole SB win. Enough already. That was why I cheered big time for Lovie's team to win that SB. Just to finally shut those guys up. I liked those 80s teams. I still like most of the players from back then too. But it has been so overdone, it is pathetic.

As for Lovie and the Illini...that guy walked into one of the worst messes in big time college football. I give the guy credit for taking on such a big and tough project.

And he's not a good coach.

From his inability to make halftime adjustments, to his lack of quality challenges, to how he would have his team sit in a deep cover 2 at the end of half or game, Lovie always was way over his head.

And he's not a good coach.

From his inability to make halftime adjustments, to his lack of quality challenges, to how he would have his team sit in a deep cover 2 at the end of half or game, Lovie always was way over his head.
Yeah, the third winningest coach in Bears history. He sure was rotten.

During Smith's nine year tenure, the Bears averaged giving up 307 points a season or only 19 per game. I don't care about yards are given up or deep cover two. To me, it's, how many points are you giving up?

Since Smith left, the Bears have averaged giving up 407 points a season or 25.45 per game. Can we see why they have been miserable? Among other things, the defense hasn't been good...although they did turn a big corner last year. Hopefully that continues, because if it doesn't, we are in for more losing.

Last edited:
Reactions: lkhammer57
With the talent they had, it was hard not to win, despite Lovie.
Really? Just how many offensive weapons did the Bears have? Yeah, I can't think of many either. I edited my earlier post. You may want to read that too.

The Bears just didn't score much during his tenure with the exception of 2006 with sexy Rexy. Now, if you want to say they did poorly offensively while he coached, I'd agree. But there wasn't much offensive talent either.

Reactions: all4theillini
Really? Just how many offensive weapons did the Bears have? Yeah, I can't think of many either. I edited my earlier post. You may want to read that too.

The Bears just didn't score much during his tenure with the exception of 2006 with sexy Rexy. Now, if you want to say they did poorly offensively while he coached, I'd agree. But there wasn't much offensive talent either.

He is the Head Coach not the defensive cordinator so a bad offense is his fault. In his 9 years did he have no say in offensive cordinator or draft picks? Also being the the 3rd wininest coach in Bears history doesn’t mean much considering how bad they have been for the better part of the last 50 years.

Devin Hester was a huge weapon those years. And not just for his TD's, but the field position he gave them.

And the Bears' defense was on the upswing until Love dumped defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

But keep singing Lovie's praises. Meanwhile he let the Packers (of all teams) in the playoffs when the Bears could have eliminated them. Lovie chose to rest his starters in that game, even though the Bears had a bye the next week. Then in the title game, the Packers beat the Bears. And Lovie F-upped that game as well. The Bears, faced a 4th and 2 and as the play clock was counting down. Lovie, in his infinite wisdom, signals for a timeout just before the ball is snapped. That bonehead decision negated a 20-yard touchdown run right up the middle with the Packer defense spread wide.

So when I say that Lovie couldn't coach someone to lick a stamp, these are just a few examples.

But, you want Lovie so bad, he is all yours.

Reactions: Bwm57
Lovie was an over-rated coach here in Chicago. When he tried to make Devin Hester a #1 receiver when he couldn't run simple patterns or understand audibles. He was nothing more than a gifted speedster with god given talent in the open field who should have ran two patterns only...slant and a go.

Reactions: Quags57
Devin Hester was a huge weapon those years. And not just for his TD's, but the field position he gave them.

And the Bears' defense was on the upswing until Love dumped defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

But keep singing Lovie's praises. Meanwhile he let the Packers (of all teams) in the playoffs when the Bears could have eliminated them. Lovie chose to rest his starters in that game, even though the Bears had a bye the next week. Then in the title game, the Packers beat the Bears. And Lovie F-upped that game as well. The Bears, faced a 4th and 2 and as the play clock was counting down. Lovie, in his infinite wisdom, signals for a timeout just before the ball is snapped. That bonehead decision negated a 20-yard touchdown run right up the middle with the Packer defense spread wide.

So when I say that Lovie couldn't coach someone to lick a stamp, these are just a few examples.

Thanks Quags. It’s this sort of in-depth, brilliant analysis I don’t get anywhere else that makes it nearly impossible for me to stay away from the Edgy free board.

Reactions: SWsuburbs4
Thanks Quags. It’s this sort of in-depth, brilliant analysis I don’t get anywhere else that makes it nearly impossible for me to stay away from the Edgy free board.

I kept it simple. I can do the X's and O's if you like.

Like playing a deep cover 2 from your own 10 yard line, leaving a receiver flanked way out to the sideline wide open for a 4- route at the goal line in the last 30 seconds of a game against Minnesota. Want me to go on?

I am not singing Lovie's praises. I just think he wasn't nearly as bad a coach as you and others think. No, he's not the best coach I have ever seen either. Not by a long shot. I am not saying the guy never made mistakes. He sure did. But the absolute hatred for Lovie many people had was so unwarranted. Just another scapegoat for fans and sportswriters.

I'm sorry. All your post proves is one thing and it's so typical of Chicago fans and sportswriters. It proves how easy it is to second guess coaches, managers, etc. after the fact. I see it every single day when I open the Trib and Sun-Times which is why I have very little respect for the vast majority of sportswriters. I see it from the fans when I see their nonsense in the comments sections after the articles when I read online. To these people it's always a bad decision IF and AFTER it doesn't work.

I have far more respect for the TV analysts in MLB baseball and NFL football because those guys have been out there in the ring and have done it. They are doing their jobs in real time too. If Steve Stone wants to criticize a player have at it. He's done it, he has more of a right to criticize. I don't care for Tony Romo's style yet, but the guy forgot more football than these writers and fans will ever know. He has more of a right to criticize. He earned it. Those two and many others like them give a person insight and most importantly the have great anticipation and can tell you what's coming next. And they are right more often than not.

Yes, if a fan buys a ticket that does give him a right to criticize effort. I believe that 100%. But writers don't pay to get into games. They are freeloaders who think they have almighty power just because they have a keyboard.

I would love to go and sit with you at a Bears game and you could tell me before every single play what defense the Bears should run. Then when they are on offense you could tell me exactly what play they should run. Then we might see if what you called might have worked. It would be real interesting to see how you would do. I guarantee, it would be real ugly.

Let's go to a Sox game and you can tell me what pitch is coming next and location. As a matter of fact I'd love to do that with you. You guess on the pitch and I'll guess on the pitch and we'll see how we do. But, you have to call the pitch before the pitcher gets the sign and before the catcher sets up.

I'd love to sit with a lot of these guys whose garbage I read every day. Let these guys take a whack at it and see how they do. Let them tell me what they would do BEFORE things happen. They would shit their pants. It's easy to criticize when you aren't in the ring. I used to see and hear that shit in bars all the time. Everyone is an expert. I have disagreed with a lot of managers and coaches but I am a hell of a lot more respectful of what their job is.

Last edited:
I am not singing Lovie's praises. I just think he wasn't nearly as bad a coach as you and others think. No, he's not the best coach I have ever seen either. Not by a long shot. I am not saying the guy never made mistakes. He sure did. But the absolute hatred for Lovie many people had was so unwarranted. Just another scapegoat for fans and sportswriters.

I'm sorry. All your post proves is one thing and it's so typical of Chicago fans and sportswriters. It proves how easy it is to second guess coaches, managers, etc. after the fact. I see it every single day when I open the Trib and Sun-Times which is why I have very little respect for the vast majority of sportswriters. I see it from the fans when I see their nonsense in the comments sections after the articles when I read online.

I would love to go and sit with you at a Bears game and you could tell me before every single play what defense the Bears should run. Then when they are on offense you could tell me exactly what play they should run. Then we might see if what you called might have worked. It would be real interesting to see how you would do. I guarantee, it would be real ugly.

Let's go to a Sox game and you can tell me what pitch is coming next and location. As a matter of fact I'd love to do that with you. You guess on the pitch and I'll guess on the pitch and we'll see how we do. But, you have to call the pitch before the pitcher gets the sign and before the catcher sets up.

I'd love to sit with a lot of these guys whose garbage I read every day. Let these guys take a whack at it and see how they do. Let them tell me what they would do BEFORE things happen. They would shit their pants. It's easy to criticize when you aren't in the ring. I used to see and hear that shit in bars all the time. Everyone is an expert. I have disagreed with a lot of managers and coaches but I am a hell of a lot more respectful of what their job is.

Wow. So spot on. It’s actually embarrassing how bad Chicago fans are with this. Monday morning quarterback to the extreme.

And one thing that nobody is pointing out... Lovie is Illinois’ best option at head coach right now. It’s not like the best up-and-coming coaches are jumping at the bit to coach Illinois. For Illinois to get a household name and an ex-NFL coach who made the super bowl was the best case scenario with the program’s current standing.

No way you can say that 06 Bears team would have made the super bowl no matter what with the talent they had. They were a very good defense, but at the end of the day there is only one for sure hall of famer on that team and that's Urlacher. Briggs, Hester, Tillman, Kruetz, and Jones will all go down as being some very good Bears players, but they will all have a tough shot at Canton. Very good team, but they weren't more overly talented than every team in the NFC. I think there's a lot of unfair criticism for Lovie. Many people love Rivera, but Rivera hasn't done much better with the best Inside backer in the game and the most dynamic QB in league. Lovie's winning percentage with the Bears is .563 and Rivera's is .576 and both with an NFC Championship. Both good coaches still, I am just saying I think Lovie gets a lot of unnecessary blame.

I kept it simple. I can do the X's and O's if you like.

Like playing a deep cover 2 from your own 10 yard line, leaving a receiver flanked way out to the sideline wide open for a 4- route at the goal line in the last 30 seconds of a game against Minnesota. Want me to go on?
Nah. No way I could ever comprehend your brilliant analyses so, by all means, continue trying to break your arm patting yourself on the back.

No way you can say that 06 Bears team would have made the super bowl no matter what with the talent they had. They were a very good defense, but at the end of the day there is only one for sure hall of famer on that team and that's Urlacher. Briggs, Hester, Tillman, Kruetz, and Jones will all go down as being some very good Bears players, but they will all have a tough shot at Canton. Very good team, but they weren't more overly talented than every team in the NFC. I think there's a lot of unfair criticism for Lovie. Many people love Rivera, but Rivera hasn't done much better with the best Inside backer in the game and the most dynamic QB in league. Lovie's winning percentage with the Bears is .563 and Rivera's is .576 and both with an NFC Championship. Both good coaches still, I am just saying I think Lovie gets a lot of unnecessary blame.
Agreed 100%.

Reactions: lkhammer57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT