ADVERTISEMENT

Illini Search

Geography does the Illini no favors with recruiting. Neither does history...

Only one state has ever had more than two Big Ten schools...Illinois. One public land grant U, the others private in NU and UofC. From the beginning the Illini weren't supposed to dominate the state.

Now, lets go back to right after the Civil War. What if the state had decided to locate the new land grant Illinois Industrial University in Chicago, or at least Cook County, instead of between Champaign & Urbana? Would UofC even have happened - heck, what if Illinois was located where UofC is right now? Does Soldier Field get built, or is Stagg Field's location the Memorial Stadium for the city?

Now the Illini have to deal with recruiting against schools that are closer to the state population base than C-U. Wisconsin is closer to the NW suburbs. Notre Dame is closer. Purdue is a similar distance. Northwestern part of the state is closer to Iowa City...Not only does the athletic department see this, but the academics realize that Illinois lacks the connection with incoming students and alums. The "Power of I" advertising campaign which started a year ago surprised a lot of alums who aren't accustomed to the University pushing itself...

The big splash of hiring Lovie did not have the recruiting effect that was hoped...He likely impressed more parents as the former Bears coach than he did local players. But you don't want or need an all-Illinois roster...the basketball program has caught flak in the past for only recruiting in-state at times. How many downstate 6'8"+ white guys have the Illini basically been "forced" to recruit even if they weren't really Big 10 hoops talents...or Peoria guys sitting on the hoops bench...The all-Illinois offensive line this year should be a goal for Illini football. We may not have 4.2 speedster receivers, or backs, but there is plenty of talent. The Illini need to start winning recruiting battles with Big 10 and SEC schools instead of beating MAC and Valley schools. That's what the new staff needs to focus on - and why I think Monken & Liepold are going to float to the top of the coaching pool.

The ESL coach has his own agenda. A few years ago he had players head to schools all over the country that were offered by Lovie but was bent out of shape that Illinois didn’t offer a kid that clearly was not a P5 player. Can’t have it both ways coach if you are “sending” kids to Illinois.
I agree here, but to open a pipeline some schools have to take that fringe p5 kid to get the p5 kid in the future Redshirt & develop said player if a staff such as Illini trust their stuff. shoot there are 85 D1 scholarships for football, be strategic with a portion of them.

Whose trolling. Tell me what I said isn’t true. Urban would turn the program around faster than any other coach mentioned. Your a fool if you don’t think he’s the best candidate. I doubt Illinois would pay him what he’s worth but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be the best fit. It actually tells you that the football program isn’t the priority. It also tells the recruits.
I don't think you can use the money or resources argument at all against IL. For all the deserved criticism of the program, the last decade has seen a plethora of investment in personnel and facilities.

If Urban would actually come to IL and said his price tag was 8 million, Whitman would find a way to come up with it. Of that I have zero doubt. That said, I don't think 12 million is enough when he knows he can go to a blue blood and get close to that if the right opening comes up in the next few years.

I agree here, but to open a pipeline some schools have to take that fringe p5 kid to get the p5 kid in the future Redshirt & develop said player if a staff such as Illini trust their stuff. shoot there are 85 D1 scholarships for football, be strategic with a portion of them.
They ain't getting golf scholarships, that's for sure!

Reactions: stripes13
Be prepared to be disappointed the rest of your life then. This school tops out at maybe a BCS game every 5 -10 years. There is no pride, no real fan base and the game day experience blows. The only selling point for recruits is you can get into bars at 19. Just dont tell them about the Champaign cops who stand outside and give out tickets like candy for under 21 drinking in those same bars.
Game day experience is middle of the pack in the Big Ten. When they are winning it is definitively in the upper half.

They have the facilities to sell to the kids now. Now they just need the winning and a gung ho coach with the energy of Fleck (without all the associated Fleckness that comes with him).

Hire the right guy. Get a little recruiting momentum. Win some games. There is nothing else that needs to be sold after that.

Reactions: all4theillini
Hire Leipold (offense gets people excited), Chris James (alum, 7on7 coach, well known in Chicago, damn good receiver coach), Terry Hawthorne (alum, NFL experience, ESTL/MetroEast connection, DB coach), Holececk (alum, NFL experience, powerhouse HS program, defensive guru, D-Coordinator), Derek Leonard (central IL known, high powered offense, a winner, beat big school in title game, how deadly would his offense be if he had 4-5 star talent ). I swear start with these 5, overpay them who cares, find a way to get these guys to Champaign and the state is locked down!!!! Kids talk so word will trickle to neighbor state friends. Keep Patterson (Missouri recruiting), O-Line coach (or bring in Jordan Diamond/Arthur Ray), and possibly whoever it is that draws the talent from Texas on staff. Everyone copy/paste and blast email to Whitman

• Haha
Reactions: stl705 and PowerI66
Some have mentioned wanting to recruit o-line better in state, but I think tight end should be the first place to lock down. The state is stacked at this position, but Iowa is known as the tight end university. Just look at recent recruits from that position: Jahleel Billingsley(Alabama), Luke Ford(Georgia), Sam LaPorta(Iowa), Logan Lee(Iowa), Josiah Miamen(Iowa), Mike O'Laughlin(West Virginia), Brian Kaiser(Northwestern), Charles Robinson(Northern Illinois), Tj Ivy(Indiana), Matt Bjorson(Indiana). These are just the top 30 rated recruits from those two years for the state. Notice the only time Illinois appeared is with Northern in front of it.

What is the thought behind him being a bad hire? He’s won BIG10 titles and is an Illinois guy.

I may be biased being an Iowa guy, but I think this is a big hire and he will be great for ILL. I think in a few years the ILL fan base is going to be happy.

What is the thought behind him being a bad hire? He’s won BIG10 titles and is an Illinois guy.

Colin he was a dumpster fire at Arkansas. The only thing bigger than his failure was his waist-line

Colin he was a dumpster fire at Arkansas. The only thing bigger than his failure was his waist-line

So what?
He’s a proven winner in the BIG10
3x Big10 champion
Rose bowl 3x.

Arkansas is a different beast and they’ve had 12 coaches in past 30 years. Maybe it’s not a great job.

In my eyes...Illinois just hired a proven Big10 winner. Who has experience in the past 8 years as an SEC HC and a couple years under Belichick.

Think it’s a great hire.

my one concern - he’s always been a pro style guy. Not sure how that will play at UofI

Reactions: stl705 and kkhawk
Illinois football excites me as much as wearing a mask but seems it to be a solid pick. Good luck to him!

I guess they just couldn't get Urban!

They would never pay him the money because it’s not a priority to win a championship. If want the best you have to pay. Illinois doesn’t want to pay so they got a coach that I am not sure can recruit any better than Lovie. His name does not carry any weight with the kids.

They would never pay him the money because it’s not a priority to win a championship. If want the best you have to pay. Illinois doesn’t want to pay so they got a coach that I am not sure can recruit any better than Lovie. His name does not carry any weight with the kids.
What in the world are you talking about? The Illini not landing urban had nothing to do with money. He wasn’t taking this job for even 10 to 12 million. He was turning down blue bloods offering 8-9 mil. So why would he take a rebuild at all?
Criticisms of the program are fair. But citing a pretend lack of investment in the program as proof of winning not being a priority is just not reality. The problems of the last half decade have not been because of a lack of institutional investment and commitment to winning. Those have been there recently. Now they just have to direct those resources toward the right personnel and facilities.
Bielema was far from my first choice. But he was a safe choice and has a fairly high floor. Recruiting should be good. The cupboard is pretty bare but he will re stock it. If his first five years are even like his Arkansas “failure” then the program will be trending in the right direction.

What in the world are you talking about? The Illini not landing urban had nothing to do with money. He wasn’t taking this job for even 10 to 12 million. He was turning down blue bloods offering 8-9 mil. So why would he take a rebuild at all?
Criticisms of the program are fair. But citing a pretend lack of investment in the program as proof of winning not being a priority is just not reality. The problems of the last half decade have not been because of a lack of institutional investment and commitment to winning. Those have been there recently. Now they just have to direct those resources toward the right personnel and facilities.
Bielema was far from my first choice. But he was a safe choice and has a fairly high floor. Recruiting should be good. The cupboard is pretty bare but he will re stock it. If his first five years are even like his Arkansas “failure” then the program will be trending in the right direction.

JC
I maybe wrong on the willing to pay? I just know if your going to get a coach of Urbans stature you’re going to have to pay big money. It doesn’t matter now we got our new coach and weather we like it or not we’re stuck with him. I am not a believer and don’t think he is a good recruiter? I don’t think his name carries weight with the young kids. Maybe if your an o-lineman or a RB but I don’t see a lot of top QBs or Receivers wanting to play for him. Hope I am wrong. Your last paragraph doesn’t make sense?

“ If his first five years are even like his Arkansas “failure” then the program will be trending in the right direction”

JC
I maybe wrong on the willing to pay? I just know if your going to get a coach of Urbans stature you’re going to have to pay big money. It doesn’t matter now we got our new coach and weather we like it or not we’re stuck with him. I am not a believer and don’t think he is a good recruiter? I don’t think his name carries weight with the young kids. Maybe if your an o-lineman or a RB but I don’t see a lot of top QBs or Receivers wanting to play for him. Hope I am wrong. Your last paragraph doesn’t make sense?

“ If his first five years are even like his Arkansas “failure” then the program will be trending in the right direction”
Three consecutive winning seasons and bowl games would be something the program hasn’t had in decades, so obviously replicating his Arkansas results would obviously be better than the last several decades for Illinois.

he’s not my choice but I am coming around to this possibly being a good fit. He is an above average recruiter. Sure his name might not mean much to some recruits. But who, in the list of realistic Illini potential hires would have more clout? liepold from d3 and Buffalo? Monken? Good in state connections but not a big name. Gus malzhan? No in state connections or really even any Midwest connection. I feel like you are comparing Bielema to Meyer and saban and swinney. The new hire must instead be measured against Chryst And fitz andferentz and fleck.

Three consecutive winning seasons and bowl games would be something the program hasn’t had in decades, so obviously replicating his Arkansas results would obviously be better than the last several decades for Illinois.

he’s not my choice but I am coming around to this possibly being a good fit. He is an above average recruiter. Sure his name might not mean much to some recruits. But who, in the list of realistic Illini potential hires would have more clout? liepold from d3 and Buffalo? Monken? Good in state connections but not a big name. Gus malzhan? No in state connections or really even any Midwest connection. I feel like you are comparing Bielema to Meyer and saban and swinney. The new hire must instead be measured against Chryst And fitz andferentz and fleck.

Actually Lovie Smith had a bigger name. Bears NFL coach was way more marketable to the kids. IMO

Actually Lovie Smith had a bigger name. Bears NFL coach was way more marketable to the kids. IMO
Yep. And they made the investment to make that splashy hire. It didn’t work out but not for lack of trying on the university’s part. Nobody knew Lovie was going to act semi retired and just collect a check while completely neglecting recruiting.
As it is, Bielema was the biggest splash (literally and figuratively) of all the realistic possibilities. For that commitment to bringing in big names, spending money, and actually commiting to fixing the mistakes of the past admin, they should be applauded.
Now we will see if it works out as planned. Staff hires will obviously be crucial.

Reactions: all4theillini
Yep. And they made the investment to make that splashy hire. It didn’t work out but not for lack of trying on the university’s part. Nobody knew Lovie was going to act semi retired and just collect a check while completely neglecting recruiting.
As it is, Bielema was the biggest splash (literally and figuratively) of all the realistic possibilities. For that commitment to bringing in big names, spending money, and actually commiting to fixing the mistakes of the past admin, they should be applauded.
Now we will see if it works out as planned. Staff hires will obviously be crucial.

Yeah agree only disappointment was they took to long to pull the trigger on Lovie. I hope Bielema works out just not sold on him especially after his performance as coach of Arkansas. Time will tell. I say give him 3 years max.

Illini with a couple more nice Chicago area additions over the last week. As a fan of the Illini I always want them to get the best talent regardless of location but it is enjoyable to be able to root for local kids. Always seems like they have instate ring leaders playing a big part when the teams have been the most successful in football or basketball.

Illini with a couple more nice Chicago area additions over the last week. As a fan of the Illini I always want them to get the best talent regardless of location but it is enjoyable to be able to root for local kids. Always seems like they have instate ring leaders playing a big part when the teams have been the most successful in football or basketball.
I think his recruiting has been disappointing so far. There's way too many commits who have no p5 offers aside from Illinois

I think his recruiting has been disappointing so far. There's way too many commits who have no p5 offers aside from Illinois
You realize they went 2 recruiting classes without a top 20 player from in state and it has been 2017 since they landed one from the Chicagoland area. They started way behind with the 2022 class so landing the ones that they did shows some potential. Also BBs players at Wisconsin always seemed to play better than their star rating. I am encouraged by the start but still skeptical about the game coaching.

You realize they went 2 recruiting classes without a top 20 player from in state and it has been 2017 since they landed one from the Chicagoland area. They started way behind with the 2022 class so landing the ones that they did shows some potential. Also BBs players at Wisconsin always seemed to play better than their star rating. I am encouraged by the start but still skeptical about the game coaching.
I dont understand the relevance of the in state comment. So we should take a bunch of in state kids who no other b10 teams want just for the sake of having a kid from in state?

I dont understand the relevance of the in state comment. So we should take a bunch of in state kids who no other b10 teams want just for the sake of having a kid from in state?

He better be able to recruit outside the state otherwise we’re in big trouble. I like getting some kids from in state but we need a lot more talent than what we will get from Illinois to be relevant.

Plenty of other big ten teams wanted several of the players. I would wager even more would have garnered attention after playing their senior season.

Reactions: Gene K.
Plenty of other big ten teams wanted several of the players. I would wager even more would have garnered attention after playing their senior season.
Only 2 of the 7 in state commits we have had other p5 offers. 5 of the 13 total commits had p5 offers. We can speculate all we want, but Im very skeptical that every b10 coach (and every other p5 coach) whos job it is to find talent, missed the evaluation on all those guys. This isnt necessarily an indictment on BBs ability to win games, but his recruiting has been terrible so far.

Only 2 of the 7 in state commits we have had other p5 offers. 5 of the 13 total commits had p5 offers. We can speculate all we want, but Im very skeptical that every b10 coach (and every other p5 coach) whos job it is to find talent, missed the evaluation on all those guys. This isnt necessarily an indictment on BBs ability to win games, but his recruiting has been terrible so far.
Two things most coaches have been recruiting kids in this class for almost two years and he has been on the job for 6 months so his first class will be weak. Due to spring football there are not a lot offers out to in state kids so not having other offers isn’t a big deal.

Two things most coaches have been recruiting kids in this class for almost two years and he has been on the job for 6 months so his first class will be weak. Due to spring football there are not a lot offers out to in state kids so not having other offers isn’t a big deal.
Its not just in-state kids. There are kids from IN, MS, WI who all played football in the fall. I have heard that guys like Anderson and Beatty are ones who would have received alot more attention had there been fall football in IL. Maybe none of the other kids camped anywhere either as I know alot of guys who did ended up getting some offers from those performances

I will say I like his focus on instate kids. He's repairing the roads Lovie tore up. Also don't get the Beckman "MAC talent" vibe we saw when he couldn't pull in recruits of prominence.

No, He's not going to pull the top 5 kids this early in his tenure. To assume that is stupid.
Agreed. He’s fishing in the right spots for now and can hopefully go to some new fishing holes in a year or two.

The low hanging fruit of having a coaching staff putting in effort on the trail and showing some level of competence has been absent for a decade. It will take a few years to recover from the mess of Lovie and Beckman but just getting out of your own way and doing the easy things is enough to make a program like Illinois competitive each year.

Agreed. He’s fishing in the right spots for now and can hopefully go to some new fishing holes in a year or two.

The low hanging fruit of having a coaching staff putting in effort on the trail and showing some level of competence has been absent for a decade. It will take a few years to recover from the mess of Lovie and Beckman but just getting out of your own way and doing the easy things is enough to make a program like Illinois competitive each year.
Exactly. He needs to take some local projects to get the school back in the minds of local staffs. There are outnif state MAC schools with better inroads than U of I currently

Reactions: USD24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT