ADVERTISEMENT

IL with 3 top 25 teams in USA Today...

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
Yeah i know, who cares right...if that's your prespective. great. you are awesome and smartly and uniquely identified the fact that rankings are rarely right. good job. bigly done.

ok.

It's been a long long time since any national publication dared place three IL teams in the top 25, let alone two in the top 11; yet, the USA Today has. As a proud player of a team ranked 2nd in the USA Today at one point, I can only attest for the publication's accuracy in such matters.

LA - 10
PR - 11
Flyer - 19

I guess the only question is, had MC not lost everyone, would they be a top 5 team. That would unprecendtly have given IL 4 top 25 teams...Things that make you go hmmmm

like this:

Congrats to PR, to be recognized at the national level is a nice accomplishment. No way MC gets ranked preseason after going 4-5 last year, regardless of talent.

Second rate car insurance companies and ambulance chasing injury attorneys have the absolute worst commercials. Eagle Man was so bad, it was almost good.

I would generally agree, but even though these guys are on the opposite side of what I do all day every day their commercials are GREAT

Congrats to PR, to be recognized at the national level is a nice accomplishment. No way MC gets ranked preseason after going 4-5 last year, regardless of talent.

Well they definitely do not go 4-5 with Griffith. Will just have to see who is out there at their scrimmage in 2 weeks and see how they look.

Very cool. This ranking is more realistic than http://calpreps.com/2017/ratings/Illinois_all.htm

Of course I would complain about GW being #21 in Calpreps but ESL at #14 in IL is absurd.

The USA Today computer predicts IL much better than Calpreps http://usatodayhss.com/rankings/computer/boys/football/IL/2017

At least we have a starting point. And in the immortal words of Jim Carrey in Cable Guy, "Let's get it on."
Yay! We barely made the top 100.

Can't say that I like the cp ranking (or rating), ever.

Yay! We barely made the top 100.

Can't say that I like the cp ranking (or rating), ever.

CP rating never makes sense in the beginning because they rely on coaches feedback. If coach ignores CP, they make certain assumptions that seem silly. My guess is that ESL and GW coaches failed to provide feedback for '17 and rating is based mostly of history, but even then, when was the last time GW ended a season below Top 15? (answer-2007)

Reactions: Gene K.
I don't think even the LA mother's club will be giving the points in the first three games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowie50
Even I'm not putting BR in the top 10. Don't know where USA Today gets its info.

What's even more absurd is Immaculate Conception at #7 in the state according to calpreps.
Calpreps is all based on computer ranking with the number of kids returning, top players, etc. If a program doesn't turn this stuff in to them when it's requested its likely the are lower in the rankings.

St Xavier (OH), who opens the season hosting Hinsdale Central, is ranked 25 in USA computer rankings

Naperville Central NEEDS to be included on this list. They will be top ten Nationally by the end of the season. How does a little school like Prairie Ridge (where is that btw) end up there. Naperville Central would beat em' by 30.

Naperville Central NEEDS to be included on this list. They will be top ten Nationally by the end of the season. How does a little school like Prairie Ridge (where is that btw) end up there. Naperville Central would beat em' by 30.

Were you formally an HF fan?

Someone needs to get back on their meds. Take the blue pill to get out of the Matrix.

Guys... let me take this one since I'm from Naperville. Hi Randy Redskin and welcome to the board. Based on your post, I will assume that you are a freshman at Naperville Central. I do agree with you that Naper Central will have an excellent team this year and will likely be a top ten team in Illinois. The level of play in Illinois is inferior to many other states, and honestly nobody in this state is truly top ten nationally IMHO. Crystal Lake Prairie Ridge has won two state titles in the last six years, including last year. They are 25-2 over the last couple seasons, and would have smoked your Redhawks last year. This year, who knows? Because of a tremendous amount of turnover each year, it is difficult to rank teams in preseason for high school football (unlike college). Naper Central is not going to be on a preseason list following a losing season. To know more about other schools in Illinois, I have linked the IHSA website, where you can research the histories of all Illinois schools. Again, welcome to EdgyTim, where many of us make fools of ourselves on a daily basis. If our employers only knew how much time is wasted here.

http://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivities/BoysFootball.aspx

Can you un-submit your site registration?

I think you've all fallen for it. And you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Keep in mind, your first clue is that Naperville North is the smartest school, so smart in fact that they have to institute controls to prevent the kids from hurting themselves from learning too much.
Now, who is their natural rival?
Central! Of course! The cross-town rivals or, attendance-zone-boundary-map foe vs attendance-zone-boundary-map foe. Consider this an early pizza delivery joke, but on a higher plane.
But there's not much there to differentiate the two. Drop yourself in a subdivision and you'd be hard pressed to tell which way is north.
So to stir up the pot a bit, you need to come on here and get a post in. (The Prairie Ridge crack is ultimately gave you away, kid. Even we know you know how to use that map app.) Now, get on back to your side of the West Branch of the DuPage River and if we catch you over in these parts again, you'll be grounded.

Calpreps is all based on computer ranking with the number of kids returning, top players, etc. If a program doesn't turn this stuff in to them when it's requested its likely the are lower in the rankings.

Johnsburg is the second ranked 4A team in cal preps , not even close ..

You're going to base a teams future success solely on what returns from the previous year? That's your argument?

Wow

You said solely, I did not... I said for starters

in Northern 4A... Herscher, Coal City and Dixon will be better... Phillips if they slip into 4A.. other than Rochester and Althoff down south, not sure, have heard good things about Herrin..

So what other attributes does Johnsburg lack that you deem them unworthy?

Your scouting skills leave me breathless with anticipation.

You mean other than returning one kid on offense?? Losing entire DL?? Having a soph team last year that was average at best?

And how does that all translate into this Year? Can you forecast that.

Tell you what, I'll call Johnsburg and tell them some whack bag from a program that is disgustingly jealous of the Skyhawks success doesn't think much of them so they shouldn't bother to show up on Monday to start the season.

Gosh thanks for the impressive feedback and scouting I'm sure Johnsburg will take your impressive football forecasting resume into account moving forward.

Their success? The school has how many state championships? How many state trophies??

My claim is they are not the second best team in 4A this year.. Edgy has them as losing a game or two this fall, he agrees with me.. since you are clearly the 4A guru for the state of Illinois, why don't you tell me why they are the second best 4A team??

I don't know why they would be good but I ALSO don't know why they wouldn't be good again.

I didn't see their off season work. I didn't see their freshmen or sophomores play last year. I don't know if they have kids that moved into the district. I don't know if they have changed coaches, adjusted schemes, changed offenses slightly to match their new skill players. I don't know if their defense will be good because of adjusting to new skill sets.

The best part is - you don't either. Instead you choose to castigate their program because they did what Herscher couldn't do last year.

I would expect weekly and sometimes hourly updates on their season from you particularly if they lose. Just because you seem to take greater joy in others failures than in your own teams successes. And for that, there still is a special spot in a dark place for people like you.

What's funny is that all I said is they are not the second best team in 4A, and for that your panties are in a total knot.. never said they would be bad, never said below .500... just that there are a handful of teams that are better.. and you don't have a single shred of reasoning that I am not wrong..

Herscher returns 8 on offense, 6 on defence.. Coal City returns 10 on defence and has a real good junior class.. Dixon returns 6 or 7 on both sides of the ball.. common sense says those teams will be better than Johnsburg

And all those stats guarantee NOTHING!

You are a very bitter person and obviously everything I say gets you arroused, I am quite flattered.

If you want to toss maybe $100 wager on whether Johnsburg ends up the second best team in 4A, put your money where your mouth is, I am cool with that...

No I'm just someone who sees you diminishing what a number of other programs are, have accomplished and will or won't accomplish for a personal hidden agenda.

I rely on my experience of having covered and coached in this game for the better part of 30 years. Not some bitter grudge masquerading as the "everyone is out to hy my poor little football program," whine.

Best of luck to your organization this fall. I'm sure with your returning players we will see Herscher in DeKalb in November.

Diminishing????? LOL

Your dimwit mind came up with that because I said they aren't the second best team in 4A????

Edgy says they will win 7 or 8 games, so clearly he doesn't think they are the second best team in 4A... is he also diminishing them? The only bitter grudge here is by you.... if anyone else on this site would have said what I did, you wouldn't said a word..

Go back and read your posts after they won the semifinal game last year.

You clearly are an utterly bitter little man. So sad.

By saying that I didn't think they were better than Herscher? That was my opinion and one you couldn't prove either way... you are a thin skin little man

Since you like to be critical of what I say and you are the self proclaimed expert on 4A football, what's your top 10 for 2017? It's time to put your money where your mouth is

If you want to toss up your 4A top ten that be cool, newt is clearly the guy that likes to be critical of others opinions, but not willing to state his own

I've said it before for the challenged I don't do polls and don't believe in them except of course for the DSR.

I don't have basis to rank teams or make claims that a team is going to be good or bad solely based on who is returning.

I'm critical of people who make claims that one team will be better than another without those teams playing one another. Further when a team loses to a team and that team they lost to loses the next week it's a tough argument to make that the team that won the following week is worse than the team that lost.

That would be sour grapes.

So in a round about way I don't do rankings - never have. If you want me to prognosticate the 4A season provide me with everyone's roster, their past history of how their under levels did, stats on what they did over the summer, any move ins to the area, new coaches - assistants or otherwise and then I can formulate something that makes sense.

All due respect to edgy and anyone else that puts forth a preseason poll, I don't see the validity in it other than it sparks debate.

Give me tangible results - on field results and then you have an argument.

Other than that it's merely, in your case, factless based opinion which comes off more as a Pom Pom based booster clubber with too much time on his hands.

I've said it before for the challenged I don't do polls and don't believe in them except of course for the DSR.

I don't have basis to rank teams or make claims that a team is going to be good or bad solely based on who is returning.

I'm critical of people who make claims that one team will be better than another without those teams playing one another. Further when a team loses to a team and that team they lost to loses the next week it's a tough argument to make that the team that won the following week is worse than the team that lost.

That would be sour grapes.

So in a round about way I don't do rankings - never have. If you want me to prognosticate the 4A season provide me with everyone's roster, their past history of how their under levels did, stats on what they did over the summer, any move ins to the area, new coaches - assistants or otherwise and then I can formulate something that makes sense.

All due respect to edgy and anyone else that puts forth a preseason poll, I don't see the validity in it other than it sparks debate.

Give me tangible results - on field results and then you have an argument.

Other than that it's merely, in your case, factless based opinion which comes off more as a Pom Pom based booster clubber with too much time on his hands.

I bet you are a lot of fun to hang around with

ADVERTISEMENT