ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA update Tuesday Jan 19th 2021

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Nothing yet on football or hoops

Website Update: We have added a new section at the top of our COVID-19 page (https://www.ihsa.org/Resources/COVID-19), which we will continue to populate with the most up-to-date information possible.

Winter Sport Acclimatization: The IHSA Sports Medicine Advisory Committee helped us determine the appropriate amount of acclimatization time for the return of winter sports. Our Board approved a plan today for winter sports via an email vote. Below are the number of practice days each sport will need to complete prior to playing their first contest:
Badminton: 7 practice days after first practice
Bowling: 7 practice days after practice
Competitive Cheer: 7 practice days after first practice
Competitive Dance: 7 practice days after first practice
Girls Gymnastics: 7 practice days after first practice
Boys Swimming and Diving: 7 practice days after first practice

Phase 4: Some Regions have moved from Tier 1 to Phase 4. At this time, we are considering them one in the same. IDPH currently has no Phase 4 guidance posted and we believe that previous Phase 4 guidance we have from IDPH has likely expired. We will follow-up as soon as we know more.

Fall, Spring & Summer Sports: Please keep in mind that fall, spring, and summer sports can begin IHSA contact days beginning on January 25. Their allowable actions are also addressed in the chart on the aforementioned IHSA COVID-19 page.

Season Start Date (for determining end of non-school team participation): In normal circumstances, a student-athlete would need to terminate contact with a non-school/travel team within seven days of their first high school practice. Given that the entire state is not yet afforded the same opportunities, any low- or medium-risk winter sports that are starting practice will not yet count toward the time when they must cease participation with non-schools teams. We will announce a universal start that will align with the seven-day window for travel sports following the next Board meeting.

Weight Room: Schools in Phase 4, Tier 1, and Tier 2 can conduct weight training with masks and social distancing. Schools in Tier 3 would remain limited to one-on-one training with a coach and student-athlete.

Gathering limitations
: They are some contradicting numbers from IDPH about gathering limitations for sports and weight-training ranging from 10 to 25 to 50 people. We’ve been told IDPH will up-to-date information for us tomorrow on this subject that we will pass along then.

What’s Next: The IHSA Board will meet again on January 27. It is my expectation that there we will come out of that meeting with a more formalized schedule for the remainder of the year.

So unless they change the tier or phases requirements, then it's Taps for the Class of 2021.....Doing a Top 25 for the Fall season is going to be a real hoot!

Reactions: sporthog9er
A good friend of mine is married to a CPS teacher (elementary school, special Ed). She received a message today telling her that she should work remotely starting next week and that there would be a vote tonight on whether or not to authorize a strike vote. If CPS locks them out of their classrooms for working remotely on Monday, January 25th then they should plan for a strike. The CTU strike will be for all members K thru 12.

This would effectively end any debate about winter/spring sports happening.

A good friend of mine is married to a CPS teacher (elementary school, special Ed). She received a message today telling her that she should work remotely starting next week and that there would be a vote tonight on whether or not to authorize a strike vote. If CPS locks them out of their classrooms for working remotely on Monday, January 25th then they should plan for a strike. The CTU strike will be for all members K thru 12.

So because CPS strikes the rest of the state can’t do sports?

I'm going to try to articulate why I think this quote is not that far off as far as what I think has been going on all along. And I would love for those who actually live and go to school in Chicago and more knowledgeable about CPS and its workings to provide their opinion because my theory may be way off base. :)

There has been no science behind the governor's approach to school and sports. He has also chosen to go against what the majority of his fellow governors have done. - Usually, politicians don't like to strike out on their own vs. their fellow party politicians in particular. This makes one conclude that this has got to be politically specific to Illinois. When you look at the politics of the situation, the CPS teachers/union are a strong force. They apparently don't want to be in school during covid. They get out and organize for elections and Pritzker is apparently doing whatever he can to keep them happy. If he doesn't want to get crossways with the union and teachers, this is all about following their will which entails no school, no sports for everyone until they are ready to come back.

Last edited:
Reactions: caravan8
If CTU striking causes the rest of the state to not play sports, that's unforgivable and speeds up my timeline for getting out of this state. PERIOD!!

Reactions: caravan8
The CTU is like the strawman of Covid going away the day after the election. CTU doesn't care if sports are played or not. They just do not want to teach in person. Sports were played in the fall and will be again soon with or without CPS. This is a football,basketball,wrestling thing. IDPH refuses to give a metric that would allow them to be played. There will be track and baseball in a few months just like there was cross and golf in the fall.

The name of this state is Illinois, not Chicago! We'd be in a ton of trouble if it were.

Football was played during the last strike. Simeon technically didn’t have enough games to qualify but they made an exception for them

The name of this state is Illinois, not Chicago! We'd be in a ton of trouble if it were.
We are in a ton of trouble already!

I didn’t mean to sound like I would support the idea of spring football/basketball being canceled due to a CTU strike. I just haven’t seen any evidence in the past that anyone is willing to do anything that would upset the CTU or CPS.

Reactions: McCaravan
That is just my prediction, I don’t agree with it at all. I believe we should’ve seen sports starting in August of 2020

So the CTU strikes. Do you thik the IHSA is going to shut things down if they get the green light based on CTU? There is no way.

So the CTU strikes. Do you thik the IHSA is going to shut things down if they get the green light based on CTU? There is no way.
Nope. I believe that if CTU strikes the IDPH and the Governor will keep Illinois in whatever stage, phase, tier or category that will continue to pause football/basketball activities from progressing.

Reactions: johnndoe
In the spirit of "equity" between the CPS student-athletes and those from the rest of the state, I feel a CTU strike would negatively affect the prospects of the high-risk sports being contested across IL.

In the spirit of "equity" between the CPS student-athletes and those from the rest of the state, I feel a CTU strike would negatively affect the prospects of the high-risk sports being contested across IL.
Strike or not the CPL coaches know what they are up against from a getting back on the field/court standpoint....and I'm guessing if asked they would tell the rest of the state to go for it.

Nope. I believe that if CTU strikes the IDPH and the Governor will keep Illinois in whatever stage, phase, tier or category that will continue to pause football/basketball activities from progressing.

Schools played in fall with most of CPS refusing to play. They will play in about a week without CPS. This goes beyond football and basketball.

As a CPS coach for more than 20years, I can speak for most coaches in CPS, we WANT to go back to work! We are stuck in a no win situation, no one asks what we think or how we feel about anything! We are just left to try and mend the broken spirits of the children with little to no help. Then we are lumped into the foolishness that is spewing from CTU and looked down upon by the rest of the state. The only reason most of us stay, is to help the underprivileged kids.

Incoming D230 (Sandburg, Stagg, Andrew) Superintendent tweeted yesterday support for return to sports on the basis of "play is safe" and "mental health is at risk." He assumes the position in mid-summer, I believe.

As a CPS coach for more than 20years, I can speak for most coaches in CPS, we WANT to go back to work! We are stuck in a no win situation, no one asks what we think or how we feel about anything! We are just left to try and mend the broken spirits of the children with little to no help. Then we are lumped into the foolishness that is spewing from CTU and looked down upon by the rest of the state. The only reason most of us stay, is to help the underprivileged kids.

Well said!

If CTU strikes, which I do not think they will, it will be interesting because CPS's reopening plan for students to return on February 1st was for K-8 students. To my knowledge, they do not have a return date for high school students. Unless a lot of high school teachers stand in unison with their K-8 colleagues you may see a lot of them continue to teach remotely?

The flipside of that is even if CTU gives in and K-8 teachers return on February 1st, how soon before CPS high schools reopen? Moreover, will they have a hard time justifying having student-athletes back before students if they don't reopen high schools soon?

If CTU strikes, which I do not think they will, it will be interesting because CPS's reopening plan for students to return on February 1st was for K-8 students. To my knowledge, they do not have a return date for high school students. Unless a lot of high school teachers stand in unison with their K-8 colleagues you may see a lot of them continue to teach remotely?

The flipside of that is even if CTU gives in and K-8 teachers return on February 1st, how soon before CPS high schools reopen? Moreover, will they have a hard time justifying having student-athletes back before students if they don't reopen high schools soon?
In the fall, CPS did have schools competing in cross country, golf, tennis, and girls swimming, so I don't think it is completely out of the question to have athletes back.

Reactions: AmbroseBlack
Moreover, will they have a hard time justifying having student-athletes back before students if they don't reopen high schools soon?
Yes, and IMO, that is the key. Been saying it for months. No "high risk" sports will be played in IL until kids are back to in-person learning. Imagine the reaction of parents of kids who do not play sports, if "high risk" sports were being played but in-person learning was not even an option. What HS administrator would want to justify that with the complaining parent?

Yes, and IMO, that is the key. Been saying it for months. No "high risk" sports will be played in IL until kids are back to in-person learning. Imagine the reaction of parents of kids who do not play sports, if "high risk" sports were being played but in-person learning was not even an option. What HS administrator would want to justify that with the complaining parent?

I'm not a familiar with other parts of the state but I believe in DuPage county most district are at least doing hybrid learning at this point.

I'm not a familiar with other parts of the state but I believe in DuPage county most district are at least doing hybrid learning at this point.
Small sample size, but my daughters softball team has girls from 6 DuPage or suburban Cook high schools. 5 of the 6 are doing hybrid now.

ADVERTISEMENT