ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA statement on basketball

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Craig Anderson, IHSA Executive Director:
“About 15 minutes prior to Governor Pritzker’s press conference today, we were alerted that the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) has elevated the sport of basketball from a medium risk level to a high risk level. We remain considerate of the recent rise in positive COVID-19 cases in our state. However, in our meeting with IDPH on Friday (October 23), we felt that we presented multiple options that would allow for basketball to be conducted safely by IHSA schools this winter, many of which are being utilized in neighboring states who plan to play high school basketball. Despite that setback, there is some positive news, as IDPH accepted the IHSA’s mitigations related to other sports, including cheerleading and dance, allowing them to move from a medium risk level to a low risk level. We will hold our special Board of Directors meeting on October 28 as scheduled, where our Board will provide direction on the other winter sports, as well as discuss the IHSA sports schedule for the remainder of the 2020-21 school year.”

AAU will probably just give the finger and keep playing. Everyone involved will want to play. And they know they cant be stopped. It's just guidance, merely a suggestion.

Competitive cheer and dance Zoom competitions

Also basketball...level 3 medium risk all through contact days and then suddenly...higher risk sport. There's no way to frame that any other way than political, stupid, anti-data, or a combination of the three.

Reactions: Golden Warrior
Show me the science that supports this position. Football is being played at the high school, college and pro levels all over the country and yes there have been games moved because of outbreaks, but the majority of the contest have been played without incident. A terrible decision by the governor and shame on the IHSA for hitching its wagon to this.

Well this is absorbing right to the gut of Illinois athletes!(football and basketball) sounded like IHSA was going to push forward tomorrow. The way I see it there is a few things that can happen now.
1. IHSA says tomorrow they re-evaluate mid-November. And hopefully let hoops start in med-December, maybe Jan 2nd.

2. IHSA attempts to move basketball to summer season in hope to save state tournament for $$$

3. they cancel hoops and cross fingers for football season and state series for $$$

4 no one plays and we hope 2021 season is normal.

Nanny state continues, an absolute joke and why people of this state continue to vote the way they do is beyond me. I am done, currently looking for a teaching job in the Nashville area for next school year.

She probably plays AAU on the weekends out of state like everyone else.
That's exactly right, the basketball community has been relatively silent because they have been playing and will continue to play. I've seen a little uptick from some basketball families, but not much.

Well this is absorbing right to the gut of Illinois athletes!(football and basketball) sounded like IHSA was going to push forward tomorrow. The way I see it there is a few things that can happen now.
1. IHSA says tomorrow they re-evaluate mid-November. And hopefully let hoops start in med-December, maybe Jan 2nd.

2. IHSA attempts to move basketball to summer season in hope to save state tournament for $$$

3. they cancel hoops and cross fingers for football season and state series for $$$

4 no one plays and we hope 2021 season is normal.

The first would be the best option. Set a date. Allow athletes, coaches, schools, and AD's, to plan for a season. If it won't work at that point, fine, but continuing to kick the can down the road with no real answers about anything is maddening. I realize that everyone continues to say the situation is "fluid," but the reality is, scheduling has to be done, not just for contests, but within schools for gym availability, etc... If there is going to be no season, just say so and everyone involved with that sport can plan accordingly.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Seriously, what would happen if the IHSA were to tell the state to go pound sand? Phrased a little more nicely, just ignore their pronouncements. Start the season anyway. Who is going to stop them? Court order? ISP? The optics would look horrible.

What it really is coming down to for the IHSA is $$$. Even if they did start the season, they fund their operations from playoff ticket sales more than any other revenue stream. If they can't have big crowds watching playoff games, then they are in serious trouble.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
Nothing would happen if the IHSA did that. There could be no court order or anything with state police, because playing sports is not illegal right now. They would be going against "guidance", and as of right now the "guidance" isn't being taken up by legislature to be enacted as a law that a court order or ISP could enforce. It's actually what they should do. They are probably hoping to get more PPP money, but I am absolutely praying that they do what some other state associations did and just push on against the state governor suggestions. Allow those schools who want to play to do so, and if there are schools that don't then they can choose not to. To me, it's the only way I see them being able to survive financially. Just say thanks, but we are going to have to do this.

I'm sure the optics weren't 100% great in other states, but I'm betting they were tremendous for those that actually wanted the choice to participate. Allow the choice.

IHSA troubles are not just limited to their financial condition. Going forward, how will the organization govern knowing they do not even have "a seat at the table" regarding a crisis affecting their entire membership? Pretending they are anything more than tournament managers could be difficult.

Seems like JB is losing control of the ship with everyone giving him the middle finger.. businesses not listening to him, now IHSA

Reactions: lookoutforliam
I can totally see the fat man now close schools, which he likely does have the power to do

Glad the IHSA showed some guts today. But tonight the Illinois State Board of Education doused the enthusiasm by releasing a statement that basically warned the districts to follow the lead of Pritzker and the IDPH, otherwise they would be opening themselves up to liability issues.

What a frigging joke Pritzker is

Reactions: Googertys Dog
Glad the IHSA showed some guts today. But tonight the Illinois State Board of Education doused the enthusiasm by releasing a statement that basically warned the districts to follow the lead of Pritzker and the IDPH, otherwise they would be opening themselves up to liability issues.

What a frigging joke Pritzker is
Better start citing actual law through ISBE funding that supports it. Otherwise this is another ridiculous threat

Better start citing actual law through ISBE funding that supports it. Otherwise this is another ridiculous threat

I'm certainly not a lawyer, but I would think this is a grandstand play by Pritzker here. I don't think he really has a case for directing the ISBE to withhold school funding.

Reactions: sporthog9er
Or how about this summer when ISBE super Ayala said they have no jurisdiction over IHSA and cannot offer any guidance on their behalf for schools...but now says hey schools you can't listen to them, only ISBE. It's unreal.

I'm certainly not a lawyer, but I would think this is a grandstand play by Pritzker here. I don't think he really has a case for directing the ISBE to withhold school funding.

I am not lawyer, but I doubt school funding can be legally withheld for not following "guidance".

I am not lawyer, but I doubt school funding can be legally withheld for not following "guidance".
Is shutting down indoor dining guidance too? JB just dropped the hammer on McHenry county and I need to know if I should go out to dinner tomorrow night.

Is shutting down indoor dining guidance too? JB just dropped the hammer on McHenry county and I need to know if I should go out to dinner tomorrow night.

Many places in the south suburbs are still open.

ADVERTISEMENT