ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA membership votes for Football District Schedule

I see 4 team from that last year that COULD have finished ahead of them. And again you are basing your concrete opinions off of an assumed district which may be a complete fairytale after you see how it’s done by the IHSA when it counts.

And if they win the games and qualify then they deserve to qualify they won the games against other teams IN THEIR CLASS without rewarding teams for beating smaller schools... and the same way a team can get a good district draw which is relatively weak plenty of teams qualify now out of a weak conference so what’s the difference at least this addresses the classification issue. Nothing will ever adjust for district or conference strength unless they go to a computer RPI method.
BR loses to Marist which hey did. They could have beat everyone else. They probably don't get half the injuries exchanging Montini, MC, SR, LA with Morton, Curie, Stagg, PW.

Yeah.. that’s the way it’s supposed to work.... the “better” private AND public schools are supposed to qualify for the playoffs. Do you propose a system in which the inferior teams are the playoff qualifiers.
Seems to cheapen playoff access. Not having to work to get out of the conference may/will down grade the quality of football.

Reactions: Gene K.
Looking at the 2017 8A field.

It included OPRF, Curie, Glenbrook South, Bloom and Joliet West

You really do not think BR was better than any (or all?) of them?
Referencing the proposed District. Not getting beat up by SR, LA, MC, Montini, they would qualify for the playoffs in that District.

Seems to cheapen playoff access. Not having to work to get out of the conference may/will down grade the quality of football.

If you just found a way to disagree with my statement about the better teams being the teams that are supposed to qualify for the playoffs than you are something special.

Referencing the proposed District. Not getting beat up by SR, LA, MC, Montini, they would qualify for the playoffs in that District.

DHS2018’s point was if you believe that Brother Rice was better than any or all of those teams he listed then they would have been right to qualify for the playoffs in the “proposed” district because all of the teams he listed did qualify.

BR loses to Marist which hey did. They could have beat everyone else. They probably don't get half the injuries exchanging Montini, MC, SR, LA with Morton, Curie, Stagg, PW.

For want of a nail, the shoe was lost;
For want of the shoe, the horse was lost;
For want of the horse, the rider was lost;
For want of the rider, the battle was lost;
For want of the battle, the kingdom was lost;
And all from the want of a horseshoe nail.

Without a couple of the injuries BR would finish 2nd in that division.

Reactions: Gene K.

And my point was that they were PROBABLY one of the top 32 8A team that year despite going 2-7.

The current system lets in some awful 7-2 CPS teams that would be clocked by most of the other 31 schools, why the big deal if a 2-7 CCL Blue team gets in that would beat a few teams and be competitive with most everyone?

Is a 9-0 suburban school going to be doing back flips when they draw the worst team out of the Blue?

DHS2018’s point was if you believe that Brother Rice was better than any or all of those teams he listed then they would have been right to qualify for the playoffs in the “proposed” district because all of the teams he listed did qualify.
Looking at the "proposed" District 2-7 BR clocks
And my point was that they were PROBABLY one of the top 32 8A team that year despite going 2-7.

The current system lets in some awful 7-2 CPS teams that would be clocked by most of the other 31 schools, why the big deal if a 2-7 CCL Blue team gets in that would beat a few teams and be competitive with most everyone?

Is a 9-0 suburban school going to be doing back flips when they draw the worst team out of the Blue?
No those are Jesse White tumblers preforming at half time...

You are trying to get through to a guy who refuted this:

“Yeah.. that’s the way it’s supposed to work.... the “better” private AND public schools are supposed to qualify for the playoffs. Do you propose a system in which the inferior teams are the playoff qualifiers.”

With this:

“Seems to cheapen playoff access. Not having to work to get out of the conference may/will down grade the quality of football.”

My mind is friggin’ blown.

I see 4 team from that last year that COULD have finished ahead of them. And again you are basing your concrete opinions off of an assumed district which may be a complete fairytale after you see how it’s done by the IHSA when it counts.

And if they win the games and qualify then they deserve to qualify they won the games against other teams IN THEIR CLASS without rewarding teams for beating smaller schools... and the same way a team can get a good district draw which is relatively weak plenty of teams qualify now out of a weak conference so what’s the difference at least this addresses the classification issue. Nothing will ever adjust for district or conference strength unless they go to a computer RPI method.
BR clocks 2-7 Morton, 4-7 Curie, 1-8 Proviso West, 1-8 Lyons, 2-7 Stagg.

Did you actually look at the records?

Do you work for the IHSA?

Did you actually lock at the records?

Reading comprehension? You just gave me this year’s records for those teams! The discussion was last year’s BR versus those teams from LAST year when LT, Stagg, Curie, etc we’re playoff qualifiers.

And I said “could” cuz we don’t know cuz they didn’t play. Then I made the statement that if they did play and BR won that they would have indeed earned the right to be a playoff team in opposition to what the premise of the initial poster was... that a “bad” BR last year may have made the playoffs under the district system and that somehow discredited the system. So no i don’t work for the IHSA but you obviously attended (not even going to credit you as maybe graduating) from one of these south side schools.

Last edited:
Reading comprehension? You just gave me this year’s records for those teams! The discussion was last year’s BR versus those teams from LAST year when LT, Stagg, Curie, etc we’re playoff qualifiers.

And I said “could” cuz we don’t know cuz they didn’t play. Then I made the statement that if they did play and BR won that they would have indeed earned the right to be a playoff team in opposition to what the premise of the initial poster was... that a “bad” BR last year may have made the playoffs under the district system and that somehow discredited the system. So no i don’t work for the IHSA but you obviously attended (not even going to credit you as maybe graduating) from one of these south side schools.
Looking at the 2017 records and schedules BR may not have clocked all those teams but would most probably have beat them.

Looking at the 2017 records and schedules BR may not have clocked all those teams but would most probably have beat them.

I’m not here to argue if they would have or wouldn’t have won! I just said if they did beat that group in a hypothetical district then they would have been worthy of the playoffs... the original poster made it sound like they would not have been worthy because the wins wouldn’t have been good enough wins. Damn this topic is making people look dumb. I can’t tell you how many have come on here with a wildly strong opinion about how horrible districts will be and then follow it up with a statement that shows they know nothing about IL HS FB which totally delegitimizes your opinion on districts. I didn’t even come into this caring if districts happened or not. I don’t have a problem with the old system. I don’t have a problem with the proposed system. I don’t care. But some of you are making me defend the district system with your irrational hatred of it with little basis beyond a knee jerk reaction to change.

Now frequency of football injuries are based on league. Does that include non-contact injuries or just Head injuries, Doctor? Granted I understand the fact that if a team is being "clocked" you start to rest guys. But don't tell me that meaningful snaps against Lyons has less physical risk than meaningful snaps against Marist.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat

Proud graduate of Salinas High School CA., home of John Steinbeck. Never set a foot in Illinois until I came home after the two year camping trip Uncle Sam sent me on in Southeast Asia.

Did you go to Herscher High School? Grow up in Herscher IL? Or ever how anyone who has ever been to Herscher IL?

Proud graduate of Salinas High School CA., home of John Steinbeck. Never set a foot in Illinois until I came home after the two year camping trip Uncle Sam sent me on in Southeast Asia.

Did you go to Herscher High School? Grow up in Herscher IL? Or ever how anyone who has ever been to Herscher IL?

Actually a grade A Iowa education. Never been to Hersher. And if the implication is I’m in the same camp as the guy who hates on private schools that everyone likes to hate on this forum.... nope.... my kids a private school kid so none of that private hate here. But no public hate either as that’s what I was growing up in Iowa. Just can’t stand irrational or illogical arguments about things such as districts... try to be even minded and fair in my “unbiased” approach. Thanks for your service in the tropics.

Did you actually look at the records?

Curie was in the 8A playoffs 2017, but you want to keep the current system in place when you just said Brother Rice was far superior to them?Which way is it?

I definitely think this hits the nail on the head. Watered down football for many private schools who are used to having to play better schools than what is in their proposed districts.

Districts might be okay for some public schools, but when you are a CCL/ESCC school having to play Juarez/Kelly/GagePark, etc when you used to play MC/SR/Marist/Naz, etc is IMO watered down and inferior football. I don't care who you play the first two weeks which don't count, the district concept isn't good for CCL/ESCC and many other private schools which enjoy quality football games. I definitely don't have the answer to some of the problems that are occurring in IHSA now but the district concept with privates and publics combined is terrible.

Reactions: IgorStL

As a proud Manteno Valedictorian and 20 year veteran of the Kankakee County Planning Commission, I've been to Herscher many times (and been accused of being an alter-ego of the HHS guy too many times to count). I have played basketball & baseball there and ran many track meets at Seebach Stadium when it was new (and the only all-weather track in the old KVC) in the early / mid 80's. I played at the Limestone middle school (on the rubber '70s era gym floor and grass track) and the Bonfield elementary. And I played at RUCE (Reddick Union Hill Cabery Essex) prior to the district closing and being chopped up between Reed-Custer, Herscher, Tri-Point and Dwight - Reddick had a really cool Quonset hut gym with like four rows of bleachers on each side......

Among the strange result of districts will likely be the transformation of Westmont, which has made the playoffs twice in school history, into a 3A playoff regular out of a district which will be made up mostly of CPL schools...And the Sentinels will likely share a district with Lisle, who may well become the perennial district champ...

We have nothing to worry about, just found out Michael Madigan will be in charge of drawing the district maps.

Oh no, the 16 CPL teams in 4A will be split into two districts by Madigan, who will also mandate that they play only each other in the playoffs until they get to the semis...:cool: thereby making sure a CPL team makes the semis every year. :rolleyes::eek::mad:

Reactions: IgorStL and Gene K.

I've been harping on reading comprehension for while now.

As a proud Manteno Valedictorian and 20 year veteran of the Kankakee County Planning Commission, I've been to Herscher many times (and been accused of being an alter-ego of the HHS guy too many times to count). I have played basketball & baseball there and ran many track meets at Seebach Stadium when it was new (and the only all-weather track in the old KVC) in the early / mid 80's. I played at the Limestone middle school (on the rubber '70s era gym floor and grass track) and the Bonfield elementary. And I played at RUCE (Reddick Union Hill Cabery Essex) prior to the district closing and being chopped up between Reed-Custer, Herscher, Tri-Point and Dwight - Reddick had a really cool Quonset hut gym with like four rows of bleachers on each side......

Among the strange result of districts will likely be the transformation of Westmont, which has made the playoffs twice in school history, into a 3A playoff regular out of a district which will be made up mostly of CPL schools...And the Sentinels will likely share a district with Lisle, who may well become the perennial district champ...

We got some of the RUCE kids, must have been early 90's, but most when to Reed-Custer, some went to Herscher and a trickle came our way, do not think any went to Tri-Point. I am taking a new job and I am being told I have to live within 10 miles of Kankakee, and the only two school districts in Kankakee County I would send my kids to would be Manteno and Herscher. But I have 6 months to figure that out.

Now frequency of football injuries are based on league. Does that include non-contact injuries or just Head injuries, Doctor? Granted I understand the fact that if a team is being "clocked" you start to rest guys. But don't tell me that meaningful snaps against Lyons has less physical risk than meaningful snaps against Marist.
So your saying Morton is on par with Montini, Lyons is on par with LA, Stagg is on par with SR, Curie is on par with MC?

Your a St. Rita Guy. I was up on 111th Street today for the funeral procession for the fallen officer. Please express my gratitude to St. Rita for what they do for fallen First Responders. To those who do not know Blake Lamb Funeral Home and St. Rita bury First Responders killed in the line of duty free of cost . Thank You.

p= m⋅v?
Players don’t get hurt in non-contact situations? Was Joliet Catholic’s RB injured on the first play of the state game becase they were playing Montini and not Highland? I’ve seen as many non-contact injuries in the last 15 years as injuries that resulted from contact. A kick returner playing Fenwick has the same injury risk playing Morton. Was Eddie Jackson injured downing an interception because he was playing against the Packers? Would he have been at more risk against the Saints?

Players don’t get hurt in non-contact situations? Was Joliet Catholic’s RB injured on the first play of the state game becase they were playing Montini and not Highland? I’ve seen as many non-contact injuries in the last 15 years as injuries that resulted from contact. A kick returner playing Fenwick has the same injury risk playing Morton. Was Eddie Jackson injured downing an interception because he was playing against the Packers? Would he have been at more risk against the Saints?
Not to put words in the other guy's mouth but I think most of us are talking about contact injuries.

Gatley is a CPS owned facility. Paramedics are assigned to all the games but most time they send a fire rig to free them up. Gatley was the home field for for MC. The contact in a MC/LA MC/BR MC/SR is off the charts compared to Julian/ Agg. School or Corliss/Fenger. You'd have to stand on the sidelines for four games a on a Saturday to see how bad CPS football is. And it's not for a lack of effort on the players part.

It is what it is. You have your opinion others have their's. Time to get back to the pros and cons of District football.

Not to put words in the other guy's mouth but I think most of us are talking about contact injuries.

Gatley is a CPS owned facility. Paramedics are assigned to all the games but most time they send a fire rig to free them up. Gatley was the home field for for MC. The contact in a MC/LA MC/BR MC/SR is off the charts compared to Julian/ Agg. School or Corliss/Fenger. You'd have to stand on the sidelines for four games a on a Saturday to see how bad CPS football is. And it's not for a lack of effort on the players part.

It is what it is. You have your opinion others have their's. Time to get back to the pros and cons of District football.
You are correct. I respect everyone’s opinion. Based on my personal experience, using physical risk as an argument against districts is silly. I understand that you, and most focus on contact injuries. My point is the non-contact injuries are just as prevelant if not more.

Your a St. Rita Guy. I was up on 111th Street today for the funeral procession for the fallen officer. Please express my gratitude to St. Rita for what they do for fallen First Responders. To those who do not know Blake Lamb Funeral Home and St. Rita bury First Responders killed in the line of duty free of cost . Thank You.

St. Rita has a very nice Chapel to hold a service like this. The campus is laid out is such a way that the service would not disrupt classes if they were in session. I’m sure my CCL brothers at MC, BR, or Marist would do the same if they had the same facility. There are many children of first responders at these schools and all would consider it honor to do this. Fr. Tom McCarthy really wanted to do this as a way to say thank you. That’s why they named an addition to the school after him several years ago. All are welcome in our home.

Last edited:
We got some of the RUCE kids, must have been early 90's, but most when to Reed-Custer, some went to Herscher and a trickle came our way, do not think any went to Tri-Point. I am taking a new job and I am being told I have to live within 10 miles of Kankakee, and the only two school districts in Kankakee County I would send my kids to would be Manteno and Herscher. But I have 6 months to figure that out.

I figure that Essex and Lake Shannon provided over half the kids to the RU
CE district, so when the Essex area went to RC it looks like the majority went to RC...Herscher used the former RUCE high school as an elementary building until a few years ago - the Reddick fire district I believe then bought the school and has kept the gym. Nothing was more entertaining than starting warming up at RUCE and banging jump shots from the corner off the low ceiling because of the Quonset hut shape...

And I now understand why I thought some kids went to Tri-Point: the C in RUCE was for Campus, not Cabery. The Campus area kids went to Dwight, Cabery continues to go to Tri-Point.

Herscher and Manteno are both good districts, but seemingly going in different directions. Herscher is likely to continue to shrink unless something drastic happens...they were around 700 at the high school for 20 years after annexing RUCE, but like most farm oriented districts they shrunk...Manteno has a stable enrollment right now, as the hs 9-12 and ms 5-8 are like 5 kids different in the upper 600's...

Not to put words in the other guy's mouth but I think most of us are talking about contact injuries...

The contact in a MC/LA MC/BR MC/SR is off the charts compared to Julian/ Agg. School or Corliss/Fenger. You'd have to stand on the sidelines for four games a on a Saturday to see how bad CPS football is.

I've never been to Gately, but I have watched Corliss play once at Wilmington in the playoffs. First play of the game the Wildcats ran their base handoff right at the Corliss "All-State" defensive lineman - who got driven 10+ yards off the ball straight back by a single block...Corliss made Westmont look physical, at least the Sentinels knew they were going to get smacked hard...

I've never been to Gately, but I have watched Corliss play once at Wilmington in the playoffs. First play of the game the Wildcats ran their base handoff right at the Corliss "All-State" defensive lineman - who got driven 10+ yards off the ball straight back by a single block...Corliss made Westmont look physical, at least the Sentinels knew they were going to get smacked hard...
Ya and..........

I figure that Essex and Lake Shannon provided over half the kids to the RU
CE district, so when the Essex area went to RC it looks like the majority went to RC...Herscher used the former RUCE high school as an elementary building until a few years ago - the Reddick fire district I believe then bought the school and has kept the gym. Nothing was more entertaining than starting warming up at RUCE and banging jump shots from the corner off the low ceiling because of the Quonset hut shape...

And I now understand why I thought some kids went to Tri-Point: the C in RUCE was for Campus, not Cabery. The Campus area kids went to Dwight, Cabery continues to go to Tri-Point.

Herscher and Manteno are both good districts, but seemingly going in different directions. Herscher is likely to continue to shrink unless something drastic happens...they were around 700 at the high school for 20 years after annexing RUCE, but like most farm oriented districts they shrunk...Manteno has a stable enrollment right now, as the hs 9-12 and ms 5-8 are like 5 kids different in the upper 600's...

Probably a stretch to call either Manteno or Herscher farm oriented districts, I know in Herschers case they can barely keep the ag program afloat. I think what has hurt the enrollment at Herscher is the Kankakee economy, now new jobs and younger families are not moving to Limestone as often, further from the jobs in the south suburbs and very few rental properties, unlike Manteno.

I like Manteno because its closer to the shopping than Limestone, but I like Limestone because its nicer, love the subdivisions along the river with those big lots. Plus I think the Herscher schools are in better financial shape ( higher EAV per student)

Would you let your 8th grade team play against a good varsity team? Why not? One team would probably be physically dominant, right? The fact that one team can physically dominate another would drastically increase the likelihood of injuries.

Would you let your 8th grade team play against a good varsity team? Why not? One team would probably be physically dominant, right? The fact that one team can physically dominate another would drastically increase the likelihood of injuries.
Now you’re going to extremes. You’re the same parent whose freshmen is good enough to play JV but refuses to allow it. Give me a varsity district matchup that you would have legitimate safety concerns. Now look at several first round playoff matchups in the current format where its a 40 point game by halftime. There is not an increase in injuries.
Joliet Central from 2012 played Bolingbrook. Bolingbrook had several DI men playing against a team that hadn’t won a game in years. It was 60-0 at half. No increase risk of injury and Joliet was playing 4 or 5 freshmen. Everyone survived just fine. The conferencee didn’t urge the teams not to play in consideration of safety.
Is that an ideal situation, no, but to claim safety means that a good chunk of the first round playoff games shouldn’t be played. And sometimes that’s a 9-0 or 8-1 cps team against a 5-4 team.

Now you’re going to extremes. You’re the same parent whose freshmen is good enough to play JV but refuses to allow it. Give me a varsity district matchup that you would have legitimate safety concerns. Now look at several first round playoff matchups in the current format where its a 40 point game by halftime. There is not an increase in injuries.
Joliet Central from 2012 played Bolingbrook. Bolingbrook had several DI men playing against a team that hadn’t won a game in years. It was 60-0 at half. No increase risk of injury and Joliet was playing 4 or 5 freshmen. Everyone survived just fine. The conferencee didn’t urge the teams not to play in consideration of safety.
Is that an ideal situation, no, but to claim safety means that a good chunk of the first round playoff games shouldn’t be played. And sometimes that’s a 9-0 or 8-1 cps team against a 5-4 team.
You test a theory by going to extremes. There are plenty of CPS schools whose D line might average 180-200 pounds. Going 4 quarters against a team whose O line averages 290 pounds (and move well) would definitely increase injury risk. To think otherwise would be naive. Most of it would depend on the coaching staff of the superior team. We have seen HS coaches in the past five no quarter to opponents. Wasn't Rita/Taft 56-0 at halftime? As a parent, I would definitely be more concerned about injury to my son if everybody knew going in that he would be physically dominated for 4 quarters of football.

You test a theory by going to extremes. There are plenty of CPS schools whose D line might average 180-200 pounds. Going 4 quarters against a team whose O line averages 290 pounds (and move well) would definitely increase injury risk. To think otherwise would be naive. Most of it would depend on the coaching staff of the superior team. We have seen HS coaches in the past five no quarter to opponents. Wasn't Rita/Taft 56-0 at halftime? As a parent, I would definitely be more concerned about injury to my son if everybody knew going in that he would be physically dominated for 4 quarters of football.
So Taft would have been safer playing an 8A opponent correct?

ADVERTISEMENT