ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA is playing Chess while everyone else plays checkers

mc140

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
The IHSA wants nothing to do with organizing districts. They put this out there to get enough people riled up to get a repeal vote on the ballot this November. The long game will be everyone gets in the playoffs instead of districts. Not sure if it will start week 9 or we start a week earlier, still play 9 and playoffs still end Thanksgiving weekend.

Listening to Edgy's Podcast with Tod Kuska I think this gets dumped with a re-vote.

The IHSA wants nothing to do with organizing districts. They put this out there to get enough people riled up to get a repeal vote on the ballot this November. The long game will be everyone gets in the playoffs instead of districts. Not sure if it will start week 9 or we start a week earlier, still play 9 and playoffs still end Thanksgiving weekend.
Should have done everyone gets in the playoffs a long time ago and just been done with it.

Reactions: ignazio
Should have done everyone gets in the playoffs a long time ago and just been done with it.
The more I see, the more confident I am that we will never see districts.

Likely to see a doubling of the playoff field, 64 teams per class, and an 8 week regular season.

Would prefer to see multiplying playoffs times 1.5 only. 48 teams per class. 384 total. 8 week regular season. Everyone with 3 wins gets in. Some 1 and 2 win teams may even get in. The non qualifiers can end their season after 8 weeks or play a final game against another non qualifier. Top 16 teams in each class get a round 1 bye.

This eliminates the worst of the mismatches in round 1 and still includes just about everyone. And if you go 0-8, you dont feel bad being left out. Plus it gives 8-0 and 7-1 teams a bye, which is big.

I think if it comes to a revote and schools are offered the district option or the current format just with an expanded playoff field, I think the expanded playoff field wins easily. I know they were voted down before, but given the either/or choice now, I think It wins hands down.

I agree that going to a 48 team playoff for each class is the best way to go.

-I think it would stop the conference jumping since I think even your worst programs would be able to get to 3 wins every few years.
-It would still keep some value in the regular season as getting a bye would be a very nice prize for a good season.
-It would eliminate the worst of the worst playoff blowouts. No reason for 9-0's to be playing 0-9's.
-The 8 game regular season would mean one less game for your odd number conferences to have to schedule

Reactions: Alexander32
I know the following is a 1st Round blow-out exception from another sport, but check this result from yesterday's 4A baseball regional semi-final: #17 Romeoville edging #1 seeded LWE (26-5 going into the game) 2-1.

I know the following is a 1st Round blow-out exception from another sport, but check this result from yesterday's 4A baseball regional semi-final: #17 Romeoville edging #1 seeded LWE (26-5 going into the game) 2-1.

One good pitcher in baseball gives below average teams a chance vs anyone in one game.

Playoff blowouts? I just counted 22 games from today's baseball regional semifinals in 3A and 4A that had 10-run margins of victory. Many scores have yet to be reported, so that number should increase.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT