ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA board 10/19 meeting

sporthog9er

Jun 9, 2001
Interesting

Meanwhile Indiana just released all their winter sports recommendations, all systems go across the border.

Heard football request was 5 game regular season and 5 playoffs.

Wrestling voted on 10/28

Baseball, softball, volleyball will allow kids to play club and HS same time

Had it on the EDGY Nation two weeks ago.....just saying
Can someone please clarify that request as it related to 5 game football season and playoffs. If a team after 5 games does not qualify for playoffs will their season be over? Or will there be additional games they can play even though they are not in the playoffs? Just hate for kids to work that hard all year and only participate in 5 games.

Can someone please clarify that request as it related to 5 game football season and playoffs. If a team after 5 games does not qualify for playoffs will their season be over? Or will there be additional games they can play even though they are not in the playoffs? Just hate for kids to work that hard all year and only participate in 5 games.

5 games everyone makes it and if you lose your first game you get a week 7 consolation game.

Any IHSA meeting results may turn out to be meaningless if/when IL goes back to Phase 3 status. Currently increasing numbers combined with more time indoors along with family holiday gatherings that will still likely be held will not bode well for high school sports, I fear.

Reactions: Gene K.
I can't find anything on line right now, but FOX News reported this morning that the CPS is going to allow winter sports to start practicing on 11/16.

and now all of a sudden Obrien thinks Pritzker and the IHSA should talk. That guy was silent almost gloating the entire Football season.

He was just waiting for cases to spike before he decided it was time to encourage everyone to get inside and play sports.

If basketball immediately jumps to a competition status that allows contests between different schools (as opposed to just same school-scrimmages), then officially "the fix is in."
Still trying to understand how playing one contact sport in a tank top and shorts indoors is safer than another in pads and a helmet outdoors. And don’t tell me basketball is non contact.

Still trying to understand how playing one contact sport in a tank top and shorts indoors is safer than another in pads and a helmet outdoors. And don’t tell me basketball is non contact.
And this sums up why so many people are angry with these "responses" by the IHSA. The inconsistencies are astounding. Volleyball is high risk, yet somehow basketball is medium risk? Please.

All.... A 5 and 5 plan for football. I like the idea of five postseason games possible for a school. The issue for me though remains equity in the regular season schedule. I've mentioned it before the Central State Eight Conference has ten teams. It appears in the seven game current format the CS8 decided with playing the first seven in the now nine game defunct schedule. Some winners and losers with that theme.

If they do the same with five games Decatur (Eisenhower) who went 0-9 last year is looking at a world of hurt. After an opener with Southeast who they won't beat the next four (Chatham, Rochester, Springfield, SHG) are even worse.

A quick look at the CCL with all of their non con games will make things really interesting should they play first five up. Even though all schools make the playoffs I would assume seeding will still be in place and that will effect everyone should a paper Lion get in with a 5-0 record. Not sure what would be a more fair way to schedule. A blind draw could make it even worse for some . Ratsy

Reactions: Gene K.
All.... A 5 and 5 plan for football. I like the idea of five postseason games possible for a school. The issue for me though remains equity in the regular season schedule. I've mentioned it before the Central State Eight Conference has ten teams. It appears in the seven game current format the CS8 decided with playing the first seven in the now nine game defunct schedule. Some winners and losers with that theme.

If they do the same with five games Decatur (Eisenhower) who went 0-9 last year is looking at a world of hurt. After an opener with Southeast who they won't beat the next four (Chatham, Rochester, Springfield, SHG) are even worse.

A quick look at the CCL with all of their non con games will make things really interesting should they play first five up. Even though all schools make the playoffs I would assume seeding will still be in place and that will effect everyone should a paper Lion get in with a 5-0 record. Not sure what would be a more fair way to schedule. A blind draw could make it even worse for some . Ratsy

Will have to use the District format which will eliminate those issues.

Any IHSA meeting results may turn out to be meaningless if/when IL goes back to Phase 3 status. Currently increasing numbers combined with more time indoors along with family holiday gatherings that will still likely be held will not bode well for high school sports, I fear.

Will & Kankakee County are reverting back to Phase 3. What you aren't hearing is that Kankakee has hit 8.1 with a sudden resurgence of the Covid at the Shapiro Developmental Center (under state control), the Manteno Veterans Home (under state control), and a couple of the nursing homes in the area...Hmm...why sudden resurgence at state controlled facilities? Health Department numbers today show all deaths had underlying comorbidities, average age 81, youngest 48...Hospitals at normal capacity...

Meanwhile, the Manteno School District had one active case in the 2100+ students and staff last week, with in-person learning for eveyone who wanted it since August? Herscher was in the paper today with only 3 cases in the district? And I think the schools are going to keep going in person (they did the last time the Governor put us back in Phase 3)...

I suspect the numbers returning lower right after the election...

Will & Kankakee County are reverting back to Phase 3. What you aren't hearing is that Kankakee has hit 8.1 with a sudden resurgence of the Covid at the Shapiro Developmental Center (under state control), the Manteno Veterans Home (under state control), and a couple of the nursing homes in the area...Hmm...why sudden resurgence at state controlled facilities? Health Department numbers today show all deaths had underlying comorbidities, average age 81, youngest 48...Hospitals at normal capacity...

Meanwhile, the Manteno School District had one active case in the 2100+ students and staff last week, with in-person learning for eveyone who wanted it since August? Herscher was in the paper today with only 3 cases in the district? And I think the schools are going to keep going in person (they did the last time the Governor put us back in Phase 3)...

I suspect the numbers returning lower right after the election...
It’s an interesting thought but Illinois is spoken for. Why would they bother cooking the stats?

It’s an interesting thought but Illinois is spoken for. Why would they bother cooking the stats?

Illinois is one of the most important down ballot states since there are 3-4 Congressional seats that could flip.

All.... Sam Knox from the Ihsa.

Great listen, thanks for posting. As explained in this interview, I have just one uncertainty. The 256 teams competing in the 5-round Gold bracket leading to a State Champion are assured 5 regular season games plus their playoff opener. The other Silver bracket is said to be guaranteed 5 regular season games plus 2 extra games. For the sake of equity, it would seem the Gold Game 1 losers should have a 2nd guaranteed game with a defeated team in an adjacent bracket? However, I still think an 8 or 9 game regular season PERIOD, based upon one's present conference, which is already established with nods to enrollment and geography is the way to go for equal participation for all programs.

Only thing that's going to save this state is to declare bankruptcy and term limits. Best thing to do is to move into another state ASAP!
I would agree with you. But unfortunately this isn't reality in the former Land of Lincoln.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT