ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA approves

some is good some is not. Doesn't make sense to have a team up 2 years which would originally only be up 1 year.

Good Bye to Saturday morning JV Football or kids playing six quarters.

A player's helmet comes off, let's say its the QB...
Does a team send their next QB out there for 1 play? because, if so, that kid can't play JV if I understand this correctly, or do you run a play with a inexperienced person at that position. Because if its a DB that comes out, and a JV kid goes in, I'm throwing the next play deep at him.

Instead of allowing worthy JV kids to play on Special Teams (limited plays) you now must play more starters.

A team is winning with a Running Clock...
Do you keep your starters on the field? Risking Injuries to them because you don't want to steal JV playing time from those kids (who deserve to play).
What do you do if you keep starters on field, wait til the last second to snap the ball and take a knee?

If kids play JV on a Mondays, they aren't allowed to practice on a Tuesday which affects the Varsity.

Just some scenarios that Big Brother might not have thought through...

What happens to teams in the northern suburbs that play on Friday nights and the have to play on the following Thursday due to the Jewish holidays?

What happens to teams in the northern suburbs that play on Friday nights and the have to play on the following Thursday due to the Jewish holidays?

IHSA is heartless. In their minds everyone has to live in their narrow secular mind. Look for more blow outs. Sophomores won't be able to play the 2nd half in blow outs. If so JV games on Saturday mornings will have to be cancelled. In many CCL non-con games the varsity plays one team on Friday and someone else on Saturday. Some teams already pass on fielding JV teams.

This could kill this sport.

LA plays MC Saturday Sept 8 and plays BR on Friday Sept 14th. Two games in less than one week. But by the IHSA new edict this is ok? But the above situation is illegal?

LA plays MC Saturday Sept 8 and plays BR on Friday Sept 14th. Two games in less than one week. But by the IHSA new edict this is ok? But the above situation is illegal?
Thats 2 different weeks according to the bulletin.

missed this part in there...where is that?
2. The Board voted to approve Recommendation 1 from the Classification Ad Hoc Committee for the 2019-20 school year. Recommendation 1 would change the classification cycle to a two-year process, meaning schools would remain in the same class for two consecutive years

This will penalize Naz into 7A for 2 years vs the original 1 year in the old system (if not making to champaign).

It's quite telling they intentionally omitted voting on the classification committee #2 and #3 recommendation for success factor since a team would have need to WIN a particular class to move up.

Last edited:
Looks like everyone will have to follow the CPS model of Monday for frosh, Tuesday for JV.

2. The Board voted to approve Recommendation 1 from the Classification Ad Hoc Committee for the 2019-20 school year. Recommendation 1 would change the classification cycle to a two-year process, meaning schools would remain in the same class for two consecutive years

This will penalize Naz into 7A for 2 years vs the original 1 year in the old system (if not making to champaign).

It's quite telling they intentionally omitted voting on the classification committee #2 and #3 recommendation for success factor since a team would have need to WIN a particular class to move up.

Havent other sports always been 2 year cycles? I know for girls volleyball, you move up for two years as part of the success factor.

Havent other sports always been 2 year cycles? I know for girls volleyball, you move up for two years as part of the success factor.
No idea, but I thought it was a 4 year cycle and you had to win trophy 2 in one class

No idea, but I thought it was a 4 year cycle and you had to win trophy 2 in one class
I think that is the case. You have to win 2 trophies in a 4-year period, but then you are "success factored" up for a 2-year block, as USD suggests. In baseball, I know Viator was SF'd up to 4A this year. I believe they will be in 4A next year as well. If they don't make the final four in 2019, they would then return to 3A in 2020.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.I played in 85,86,87,88.We had kids during the non conference games play Frosh,Soph and JV games.When it was conference you couldn't do that

The success factor applies when a team wins 2 trophies in the previous 4 years, at least one of which is in the previous 2 years. You are not automatically moved up for 2 years because there is a way a team could get moved up for only one year. Here is an example:

2004 no trophy
2003 no trophy
2002 yes trophy
2001 no trophy

The 2005 team would NOT be moved up obviously. Lets say the 2005 team wins a trophy.
The look back for the 2006 team would be:

2005 yes trophy
2004 no trophy
2003 no trophy
2002 yes trophy

The 2006 team WOULD be moved up. Lets say they do NOT win a trophy in 2006.

The look back for the 2007 team would be:

2006 no trophy
2005 yes trophy
2004 no trophy
2003 no trophy

The 2007 team would NOT be moved up. Only the 2006 team would have been moved up.

USD24 saw that the JCA girls volleyball team got moved up for both 2016 and 2017. That is a function of the years in which they won trophies (2015 and 2014) and not an automatic 2 year adjustment. In both 2016 and 2017 JCA had won 2 trophies in the previous 4 years, at least one of them in the previous 2 years.

Thanks Sundown!!

While the explanation and examples you provided make it easy(ier) to understand for me - one would think the IHSA could find a better way to accomplish their success factor goals and make it so you don’t have to be a math major or engineer to follow the calculations of when a team is moved up or back down.

Reactions: Gene K.
Two year classification changes is more important in other sports. Why? Until/unless the district proposal comes into being, nobody truly knows exactly what football class they are in until the end of the season (unless they are one of the 32 biggest or smallest schools playing football). Everybody plays the same season. But, a classification change in other sports can change the regular season...Why...

Basketball is a good example. Four classes, with two weekends of state championships. Therefore, 1A and 2A Regionals start a week earlier than 3A and 4A Regionals. If your traditional small 3A team squeaks into being the biggest school in 2A one year, it probably already has game contracts for the last week of the 3A season - but now is going to be in the 2A Regional instead. Suddenly in June you discover that the last two conference games (Tuesday & Friday) have to be moved up. And your opponents for those games have to scramble their schedules as well.

Then on one year classifications, you go from the biggest in 2A back to one of the smallest in 3A the next year. You now have full contracts for a 2A season, leaving the last week of the season open before regionals...Again, you have to scramble your schedule to get a game the last week of the regular season.

CPS schools somewhat wild enrollment changes isn't helping the matter, or did the change a few years ago to hoops being four equal sized (25% per class) classes. The I-8 this last year is 5 3A schools for hoops, 5 2A schools. Next year Manteno, Coal City and Streator will be the 3 3A schools in the new conference...Don't be surprised to see schedules with those three playing each other the last week of the hoops season...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT