ADVERTISEMENT

Ignatius 35 Fenwick 0

HRCJR

Jun 30, 2014
Amazing game by the Wolfpack. Dominated both sides of the ball.

Congrats to Coach Miller, his staff, and the players. On to the Prep Bowl

Reactions: RockSoup
It's so so awesome for the kids.Great to see new blood in the Prep Bowl.Take it all the way.Fenwick a great year too.I will smack any Brother Rice people who say oh we could have beat them and gone to the Prep Bowl!!

Reactions: ssczar76 and HRCJR
It's so so awesome for the kids.Great to see new blood in the Prep Bowl.Take it all the way.Fenwick a great year too.I will smack any Brother Rice people who say oh we could have beat them and gone to the Prep Bowl!!
C'mon ... the Rice people had a tough year and faced it with dignity. No need to take last minute cheap shots.

Reactions: PapayaKing_17
C'mon ... the Rice people had a tough year and faced it with dignity. No need to take last minute cheap shots.
Only Cheap Shots taken were by the Rice ppl talking smack about winning the CCL side of the Prep Bowl.It was on twitter & taken down about how they would roll anybody in the Prep Bowl.I say put up or shut up is all.

Believe me Fenwick isnt mind of one person a
Only Cheap Shots taken were by the Rice ppl talking smack about winning the CCL side of the Prep Bowl.It was on twitter & taken down about how they would roll anybody in the Prep Bowl.I say put up or shut up is all.
Moving forward...

I’ve beenbehind Iggy the whole way. Haven’t seen a single comment by a BR person saying anything about the Prep Bowl other than perhaps aimed at our coach for sitting it out. Good luck Wolfpack!

I'm pretty confident that Rice would beat Ignatius, though.

I am surprised this game was so lopsided. Thought Friar was better. AC gave Iggy a better game.

Its the prep bowl playoffs. a lot comes down to who is more interested in playing.

If your statement is true, shame on the coaching staff who does not have their boys ready to battle and represent their program with honor.

I don't think you statement is true, however.

If your statement is true, shame on the coaching staff who does not have their boys ready to battle and represent their program with honor.

I don't think you statement is true, however.

Stop.

I'll answer...
Only 2 common opponents but Rice was superior in both match ups.

Rice beat AC 55-16
Ignatius beat AC 28-12

Rice lost to Provi 16-22
Ignatius lost to Provi 35-6

However - none of that matters because Rice elected not to compete in the Prep Bowl so the point is moot.

I've seen both play this year. Rice has more size, speed and talent. Just my opinion I'm an LA guy, so no dog in the fight. Could be wrong.

After second thought, I do have a dog in the fight. My Dad graduated in '59 from Iggy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
While I was all over Rice staff not he team for not playing in the Prep Bowl, and I think they would have made it in hindsight, I like the story of Ignatius and the first year coach going to it.

What is the point of this post?

sorry, i just think the prep bowl has become a joke. At one time, this was a great game and match up. Now...it's sad.

We beat St Iggy in rd1, it was bad and not even close. Felt bad for them, even though they were the higher seed.

Teams like Montini and even a low BR decided to skip it. You really shouldn't make a thread here to "brag" about going to the prep bowl....sorry.

sorry, i just think the prep bowl has become a joke. At one time, this was a great game and match up. Now...it's sad.

We beat St Iggy in rd1, it was bad and not even close. Felt bad for them, even though they were the higher seed.

Teams like Montini and even a low BR decided to skip it. You really shouldn't make a thread here to "brag" about going to the prep bowl....sorry.

This is such a tiresome take. There is nothing "sad" about seniors playing what might be the last few games of their football career. There is nothing "sad" about a team coming out a few more weeks to practice in cold weather just for the opportunity to strap it up a few more times.

This thread wasn't started to "brag". It was started to keep posters on EdgyTim, a forum to talk about high school football, informed about high school football--what a concept!. You just had to pop in with your negativity.

You don't have to feel "bad" for the young men at St. Iggy. They are a young program. They had a great season. And they attend one of the top schools in the country and all undoubtedly have bright futures ahead.

The only person you should feel "bad" about is yourself for trying to take away from the accomplishments of these 15-18 year olds playing a game they love.

What a terrible post. I feel bad for the guy who still refers to a high school team as "we", while publicly criticizing another group of kids. Grow up!

Thanks Topiary and ESCC Fan

I started the thread to report on the game. It was the only game last Friday night and the score had not been reported so I posted the score.

The Prep Bowl and its playoffs leading up to it are a unique event. Friday's game ties the players back to something that began in 1927. Significantly longer than the IHSA playoffs and existence of many of the high schools playing in this weekend's state championships. Read about the history of the Prep Bowl here and the anti-Catholic attitudes present at that time of its founding. Some things never change.

Playing football at Ignatius is unlike many schools. Small roster (28, 9 seniors), no easy classes (basically all classes are the equivalent of Honors classes or above at other schools), a school and coaches that do not tolerate fools (and regularly kicks those fools out), and extremely high expectations as contributors to the school and community. Only at Ignatius do players use the phrase "transitive property" when interviewed after the game.

My son graduated from SICP in 2017. Started on the offensive line for his last two years and played every single offensive play as center, guard, tackle or long snapper. He claims he was the smallest offensive linemen in the CCL. Not sure about that but definitely in the bottom quartile.

The chance to play in the Prep Bowl Playoffs after his junior year (2015) gave the team 2 more games that proved to be invaluable preparation for the 2016 season helping the team improve to a 7-2 regular season. Last year's Prep Bowl Playoffs did the same for this year's team.

Ignatius is unlikely to ever win a State Championship. Many factors against that happening. I know Cary Grove beat SICP easily but Ignatius is now 10-3. Only 18 teams in state will be playing a 14th game. Ignatius has played 8 IHSA State Playoff qualifiers this year and won 6 of those games. Not bad.

Trojan Fox - do not take that away from players and coaches trying to reach a common, difficult to achieve goal of winning the Prep Bowl.

Last edited:
I bet the kids from Iggy have a lot higher SAT scores than either Cary Grove or Prairie Ridge too. LOL.

Yeah!! Those kids have it on the ball are going to be some of the folks running companies and the country in 20 years or so! Hopefully they remember to be kind and just to their elders!!!!

Reactions: Gene K.
Yeah!! Those kids have it on the ball are going to be some of the folks running companies and the country in 20 years or so! Hopefully they remember to be kind and just to their elders!!!!

Hopefully they clean up their language/attitude...
There is a lot I like about Iggy, but our players agree Iggy was the least classy of all CCL teams they've played the last few years. I get it, there's going to be some profanity on the field of play in the heat of battle, but Iggy takes the cake.

I don't blame the kids. I blame the coaching staff. Coaches set the pace/tone of the team culture and are in a position to enforce the value of a faith based institution - or not.

Hopefully they clean up their language/attitude...
There is a lot I like about Iggy, but our players agree Iggy was the least classy of all CCL teams they've played the last few years. I get it, there's going to be some profanity on the field of play in the heat of battle, but Iggy takes the cake.

Iggy may take the cake, but Loyola certainly eats it!

(sorry, can't resist an old-fashioned cakeeater joke.)

Reactions: Gforce5 and Bowie50
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT