ADVERTISEMENT

If this is right....

It’s correct.
It is correct and just hopefully opened up the door for Providence. Pc ave Barnett was most likely being held to start against LWE. Now he should pitch tomorrow against HF. Then Vitas vs Romeoville. One could say Griffins were looking ahead.

Yes I think looking ahead is a nice way of putting it. Not a fan of the social media noise lwe baseball puts out. Hashtag culture, committed to the vision, championship culture, on and on. Constantly boasting about setting records. And now this. Feel bad for the kids, such a talented team. Starts with coaching staff mentality.

However, hat's off to romeoville! That's why you play the games!

East removed previous coach for "underachieving" with talent he had. That was coming off a regional title and a conference title previous 2 years. Now east coach has this... interested to see if the perception is different for this coach...same exact result 2 years in a row.

It is correct and just hopefully opened up the door for Providence. Pc ave Barnett was most likely being held to start against LWE. Now he should pitch tomorrow against HF. Then Vitas vs Romeoville. One could say Griffins were looking ahead.
It does open the door for Provi, but I'll bet they planned to pitch Barnett tomorrow against H-F, regardless of the LWE/Romeoville result. They will most likely face H-F's Tyler Schlaffer. He's the 21st ranked senior by PBR and throws in the low 90's. He's the real deal.

Did a little research on the LWE/Romeoville game. Some interesting tidbits:
  • LWE was at home (not a huge deal in baseball....but a definite advantage)
  • LWE was the #1 seed in the 21-team Lockport Sectional
  • Romeoville was the #17 seed and had to beat #16 TF South last night in the play-in game
  • LWE pitched their undefeated ace (this is very surprising to me), Cole Kirschsieper, who according to the Joliet Herald had a 0.21 ERA entering the game

Yes I think looking ahead is a nice way of putting it. Not a fan of the social media noise lwe baseball puts out. Hashtag culture, committed to the vision, championship culture, on and on. Constantly boasting about setting records. And now this. Feel bad for the kids, such a talented team. Starts with coaching staff mentality.

However, hat's off to romeoville! That's why you play the games!

East removed previous coach for "underachieving" with talent he had. That was coming off a regional title and a conference title previous 2 years. Now east coach has this... interested to see if the perception is different for this coach...same exact result 2 years in a row.

You clearly have no idea how baseball works? Coach puts out a starting pitcher who is 10-0 & knows he needs to win to advance. Can you explain to me how this is coaching when the kid gets beat?

Anyone who knows the program knows it is in WAY better shape based on the culture the new coach has brought in.

If you don’t like social media, don’t follow them but this is the day and age of promoting your players and team.

It does open the door for Provi, but I'll bet they planned to pitch Barnett tomorrow against H-F, regardless of the LWE/Romeoville result. They will most likely face H-F's Tyler Schlaffer. He's the 21st ranked senior by PBR and throws in the low 90's. He's the real deal.
Two great pitchers going head to head

Did a little research on the LWE/Romeoville game. Some interesting tidbits:
  • LWE was at home (not a huge deal in baseball....but a definite advantage)
  • LWE was the #1 seed in the 21-team Lockport Sectional
  • Romeoville was the #17 seed and had to beat #16 TF South last night in the play-in game
  • LWE pitched their undefeated ace (this is very surprising to me), Cole Kirschsieper, who according to the Joliet Herald had a 0.21 ERA entering the game
Yep. Bats just weren't going yesterday for LWE. What can you do as a coach? Sometimes you just run into an off day, and in the IHSA tourney that usually means you are done.

The IHSA baseball tournament format is brutal. It is the only baseball tournament that is single elimination. 8u tournaments don't even play single elimination.

The IHSA baseball tournament format is brutal. It is the only baseball tournament that is single elimination. 8u tournaments don't even play single elimination.
And you need to win 7 straight games to be crowned champ. No easy feat especially with pitch count limit. Providence’s 23 straight playoff game wins should be a record for a very long time. That is just insane.

Reactions: USD24
It is a terrible format. Baseball should never be a single elimination sport. The IHSA seems to be the only organization in all of baseball that thinks this is a good idea.

And you need to win 7 straight games to be crowned champ. No easy feat especially with pitch count limit. Providence’s 23 straight playoff game wins should be a record for a very long time. That is just insane.
Not to downplay that achievement, but Providence has not won a championship since the pitch counts have been put in.

Baseball plays so many games, it would be great if you had to qualify like you do in football. Then seed out your regionals, and super regionals (sectionals) like they do in college baseball. Play them as series and then advance to state tournament of 8 teams like they do the college world series.

It will never happen, but would be fun to watch

Cut back number of games from 35 to 25-30. Start the tournament 1 week earlier. Lights are a must for hosting.

Lot easier then you would think

Cut back number of games from 35 to 25-30. Start the tournament 1 week earlier. Lights are a must for hosting.

Lot easier then you would think

If lights are a must you would eliminate 85-90% of all baseball diamonds north of I-80. Unless your planning on playing all regionals and sectionals at minor league parks or college parks this simply wouldn’t work.

Speaking of David vs Goliath stories... Herscher was 11-23 in the regular season, will play in the sectional final on Saturday..

If lights are a must you would eliminate 85-90% of all baseball diamonds north of I-80. Unless your planning on playing all regionals and sectionals at minor league parks or college parks this simply wouldn’t work.

If you are serious about a double elimination tournament , it is one option.

Cutting the number of games is another. Coaches won't let this happen Make it a qualifying tournament
All kinds of options

It just won't happen. It would be the only sport with double elimination. First baseball then what basketball ? Volleyball ?

Cutting the number of games is another. Coaches won't let this happen Make it a qualifying tournament
All kinds of options

It just won't happen. It would be the only sport with double elimination. First baseball then what basketball ? Volleyball ?

Love the idea of double elimination but where you draw the line as to who makes it and who doesn’t is tough. If everyone makes it, too many coaches would whine that they don’t have enough pitching or it would be too tough on the kids.

Love the idea just don’t know how to pull it off.

All kinds of options

Baseball is different than other sports. Baseball has double elimination at every level from 8u to the MLB. The high school state tournament is the only tourney these kids will play in that is not double elimination. I just feel it makes for a bad state tourney. One pitcher from a bad team can change everything. No other sport is like that.

What I would do is have 8 double elimination sectionals, over two weeks.. obviously host games at multiple locations

And then an 8 team, double elimination state finals going Wed- Sat.. 28-30 games if 1A/2A are held in Peoria and 3A/4A held in Joliet.. use a secondary location for a few loser bracket games to lighten the load

ADVERTISEMENT