ADVERTISEMENT

If the PLAYOFFS started today.... (Week 5)

Catch--22

Sep 29, 2006
Lombard
For the newbies, every Monday I bracket the 256 playoff teams using the IHSA Playoff Outlook. This is NOT a prediction. These are NOT my opinions. It is simply the most logical way the playoffs would be bracketed, using the IHSA's specific system, if today's standing were the final standings.

Each week I usually have to add/subtract teams to get a true 256. The Outlook doesn't adjust for the teams ineligible for the playoffs from the CPS "Chicago" conferences (teams who finish 3rd place and lower). The Outlook doesn't adjust for a conference champion falling below the cutoff. I take care of all that before proceeding.

Is this a huge waste of time? Yes. But some people seem to like it, and I like bracketing things, so I'll waste some time on the next 5 Mondays for the enjoyment of Edgy's minions. Where you can find some value is in the cutoff for each class, the north/south line between brackets in 1A thru 6A, and how some teams relate to others in terms of playoff points. For example, Glenbard West was a 7A team for a decade. But their ascension to 8A in 2014 should not have been a big surprise because I was showing you they would likely end up in 8A for over a month.

Anyways.....

I don't want to get too detailed for the first Playoff Outlook. I pulled Collins (2A), Mather (6A), and Sullivan (4A) out of the playoffs because of the CPS "Chicago" conference rule. I inserted Kenwood (6A), Taft (8A), Elmwood Park (5A), and St. Bede (3A) into the playoffs because their conference had zero qualifiers per the Outlook. I simply chose the top team listed by record and playoff points. That left us with 257 teams. Several teams were tied for the bottom spot at 2-2/18. Several more teams are out of the field with that same record. The next tie-breaker is victories by defeated opponents. Of all the teams in the field at 2-2/18, all have at least 2 in the next tie-breaker except New Trier with just 1.... THEY GONE! No need to use my usual week 4 tie-breaker of eeny-meeny-meiny-moe. I'll always use all the official IHSA tie-breakers when the standings are a bit more forgiving. From there, I adjust teams up and down into the proper classes to create 8 classes of 32 teams. EP down to 4A and Scoita/West Prairie Coop down to 2A create a balanced field.

Finally, after years of whining about this post, IrishGlory's Vikings are in the top spot, and he's not around to enjoy it... At least, I don't think he is. Next week you get 8A thru 3A again, and I'll continue to add a class each week until week 8. For week 9, I give you the final projection with team nicknames, so look forward to that.

6A Upper Bracket has some thunder, and several conference rematches. Fingers crossed for most of those teams to stay right there!

~~~ 8A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#32 Taft at #1 Homewood-Flossmoor
#17 Maine South at #16 Glenbrook South
#25 Neuqua Valley at #8 Oswego East
#24 Stagg at #9 South Elgin

#29 Palatine at #4 Barrington
#20 Plainfield North at #13 Warren
#28 Notre Dame at #5 Lyons
#21 Owego at #12 Bolingbrook

Lower Bracket
#31 Zion-Benton at #2 Lincoln-Way East
#18 Benet at #15 Huntley
#26 St. Charles East at #7 Naperville North
#23 Glenbard West at #10 West Aurora

#30 Lake Park at #3 Naperville Central
#19 Loyola at #14 Stevenson
#27 Evanston at #6 Marist
#22 Minooka at #11 Hinsdale Central

~~~ 7A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#32 Round Lake at #1 Batavia
#17 Plainfield Central at #16 Lincoln Park
#25 Glenbrook North at #8 Buffalo Grove
#24 Rolling Meadows at #9 Lincoln-Way West

#29 Libertyville at #4 Hononegah
#20 Belleville West at #13 Fenwick
#28 Geneva at #5 Thornton
#21 Maine West at #12 Mount Carmel

Lower Bracket
#31 Rockford East at #2 Normal
#18 Wheaton North at #15 Lincoln-Way Central
#26 Pekin at #7 Hoffman Estates
#23 East St. Louis at #10 Schaumburg

#30 Moline at #3 Auburn
#19 Hersey at #14 St. Charles North
#27 Andrew at #6 Lake Zurich
#22 Willowbrook at #11 St. Rita

~~~ 6A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#16 Kenwood at #1 Marmion
#9 Crystal Lake Central #8 Cary-Grove
#13 Grayslake North at #4 Nazareth
#12 Fenton at #5 Riverside-Brookfield

#15 Boylan at #2 DeKalb
#10 St. Ignatius at #7 Montini
#14 St. Viator at #3 Prairie Ridge
#11 St. Laurence at #6 De La Salle

Lower Bracket
#16 Reavis at #1 Danville
#9 Sacred Heart-Griffin at #8 Crete-Monee
#13 Richards at #4 TF South
#12 Providence at #5 Shepard

#15 Bremen at #2 Eisenhower
#10 Springfield at #7 Bloomington
#14 Quincy at #3 Lemont
#11 Hinsdale South at #6 Normal West

~~~ 5A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#16 Marian Central Catholic at #1 Sterling
#9 Thornridge #8 Westinghouse
#13 Woodstock North at #4 Woodstock
#12 Back of the Yards at #5 Lakes

#15 Rochelle at #2 Phillips
#10 Walter Payton at #7 Lindblom
#14 Glenbard South at #3 Antioch
#11 Phoenix at #6 Solorio Academy

Lower Bracket
#16 Galesburg at #1 Morton
#9 Richwoods #8 Hillcrest
#13 Marion at #4 Highland
#12 Tinley Park at #5 Triad

#15 Mattoon at #2 Dunlap
#10 Centralia at #7 Washington
#14 Mascoutah at #3 MacArthur
#11 LaSalle-Peru at #6 Oak Forest

~~~ 4A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#16 Elmwood Park at #1 Morris
#9 Genoa-Kingston #8 Wheaton Academy
#13 North Chicago at #4 Dixon
#12 Richmond-Burton at #5 Johnsburg

#15 Clark at #2 Coal City
#10 Alleman at #7 Geneseo
#14 Rock Falls at #3 Raby
#11 St. Edward at #6 North Lawndale

Lower Bracket
#16 East Alton-Wood River at #1 Herscher
#9 Mount Zion #8 Taylorville
#13 Quincy Notre Dame at #4 Rochester
#12 Effingham at #5 Watseka

#15 Columbia at #2 Breese Central
#10 Paris at #7 Herrin
#14 Manteno at #3 Unity
#11 Carterville at #6 Althoff Catholic

For the newbies, every Monday I bracket the 256 playoff teams using the IHSA Playoff Outlook. This is NOT a prediction. These are NOT my opinions. It is simply the most logical way the playoffs would be bracketed, using the IHSA's specific system, if today's standing were the final standings.

Each week I usually have to add/subtract teams to get a true 256. The Outlook doesn't adjust for the teams ineligible for the playoffs from the CPS "Chicago" conferences (teams who finish 3rd place and lower). The Outlook doesn't adjust for a conference champion falling below the cutoff. I take care of all that before proceeding.

Is this a huge waste of time? Yes. But some people seem to like it, and I like bracketing things, so I'll waste some time on the next 5 Mondays for the enjoyment of Edgy's minions. Where you can find some value is in the cutoff for each class, the north/south line between brackets in 1A thru 6A, and how some teams relate to others in terms of playoff points. For example, Glenbard West was a 7A team for a decade. But their ascension to 8A in 2014 should not have been a big surprise because I was showing you they would likely end up in 8A for over a month.

Anyways.....

I don't want to get too detailed for the first Playoff Outlook. I pulled Collins (2A), Mather (6A), and Sullivan (4A) out of the playoffs because of the CPS "Chicago" conference rule. I inserted Kenwood (6A), Taft (8A), Elmwood Park (5A), and St. Bede (3A) into the playoffs because their conference had zero qualifiers per the Outlook. I simply chose the top team listed by record and playoff points. That left us with 257 teams. Several teams were tied for the bottom spot at 2-2/18. Several more teams are out of the field with that same record. The next tie-breaker is victories by defeated opponents. Of all the teams in the field at 2-2/18, all have at least 2 in the next tie-breaker except New Trier with just 1.... THEY GONE! No need to use my usual week 4 tie-breaker of eeny-meeny-meiny-moe. I'll always use all the official IHSA tie-breakers when the standings are a bit more forgiving. From there, I adjust teams up and down into the proper classes to create 8 classes of 32 teams. EP down to 4A and Scoita/West Prairie Coop down to 2A create a balanced field.

Finally, after years of whining about this post, IrishGlory's Vikings are in the top spot, and he's not around to enjoy it... At least, I don't think he is. Next week you get 8A thru 3A again, and I'll continue to add a class each week until week 8. For week 9, I give you the final projection with team nicknames, so look forward to that.

6A Upper Bracket has some thunder, and several conference rematches. Fingers crossed for most of those teams to stay right there!

~~~ 8A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#32 Taft at #1 Homewood-Flossmoor
#17 Maine South at #16 Glenbrook South
#25 Neuqua Valley at #8 Oswego East
#24 Stagg at #9 South Elgin

#29 Palatine at #4 Barrington
#20 Plainfield North at #13 Warren
#28 Notre Dame at #5 Lyons
#21 Owego at #12 Bolingbrook

Lower Bracket
#31 Zion-Benton at #2 Lincoln-Way East
#18 Benet at #15 Huntley
#26 St. Charles East at #7 Naperville North
#23 Glenbard West at #10 West Aurora

#30 Lake Park at #3 Naperville Central
#19 Loyola at #14 Stevenson
#27 Evanston at #6 Marist
#22 Minooka at #11 Hinsdale Central

~~~ 7A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#32 Round Lake at #1 Batavia
#17 Plainfield Central at #16 Lincoln Park
#25 Glenbrook North at #8 Buffalo Grove
#24 Rolling Meadows at #9 Lincoln-Way West

#29 Libertyville at #4 Hononegah
#20 Belleville West at #13 Fenwick
#28 Geneva at #5 Thornton
#21 Maine West at #12 Mount Carmel

Lower Bracket
#31 Rockford East at #2 Normal
#18 Wheaton North at #15 Lincoln-Way Central
#26 Pekin at #7 Hoffman Estates
#23 East St. Louis at #10 Schaumburg

#30 Moline at #3 Auburn
#19 Hersey at #14 St. Charles North
#27 Andrew at #6 Lake Zurich
#22 Willowbrook at #11 St. Rita

~~~ 6A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#16 Kenwood at #1 Marmion
#9 Crystal Lake Central #8 Cary-Grove
#13 Grayslake North at #4 Nazareth
#12 Fenton at #5 Riverside-Brookfield

#15 Boylan at #2 DeKalb
#10 St. Ignatius at #7 Montini
#14 St. Viator at #3 Prairie Ridge
#11 St. Laurence at #6 De La Salle

Lower Bracket
#16 Reavis at #1 Danville
#9 Sacred Heart-Griffin at #8 Crete-Monee
#13 Richards at #4 TF South
#12 Providence at #5 Shepard

#15 Bremen at #2 Eisenhower
#10 Springfield at #7 Bloomington
#14 Quincy at #3 Lemont
#11 Hinsdale South at #6 Normal West

~~~ 5A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#16 Marian Central Catholic at #1 Sterling
#9 Thornridge #8 Westinghouse
#13 Woodstock North at #4 Woodstock
#12 Back of the Yards at #5 Lakes

#15 Rochelle at #2 Phillips
#10 Walter Payton at #7 Lindblom
#14 Glenbard South at #3 Antioch
#11 Phoenix at #6 Solorio Academy

Lower Bracket
#16 Galesburg at #1 Morton
#9 Richwoods #8 Hillcrest
#13 Marion at #4 Highland
#12 Tinley Park at #5 Triad

#15 Mattoon at #2 Dunlap
#10 Centralia at #7 Washington
#14 Mascoutah at #3 MacArthur
#11 LaSalle-Peru at #6 Oak Forest

~~~ 4A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#16 Elmwood Park at #1 Morris
#9 Genoa-Kingston #8 Wheaton Academy
#13 North Chicago at #4 Dixon
#12 Richmond-Burton at #5 Johnsburg

#15 Clark at #2 Coal City
#10 Alleman at #7 Geneseo
#14 Rock Falls at #3 Raby
#11 St. Edward at #6 North Lawndale

Lower Bracket
#16 East Alton-Wood River at #1 Herscher
#9 Mount Zion #8 Taylorville
#13 Quincy Notre Dame at #4 Rochester
#12 Effingham at #5 Watseka

#15 Columbia at #2 Breese Central
#10 Paris at #7 Herrin
#14 Manteno at #3 Unity
#11 Carterville at #6 Althoff Catholic

Catch,

Great freakin' stuff there! Very thorough! In an earlier thread, I predicted a Rita/LZ second round matchup, and lo' and behold, there it is! LOL. I know it's earlier, but it's good fodder! Thanks!

Reactions: Catch--22
No way Montini is a 7 seed, should be way higher. lololol

Nice work as always @Catch--22!

You can't tell me GW is all the way down....crap, @mchsalumni beat me to it.

Top notch work as always @Catch--22. Looks like your method has GW smallest 8A and Hoffman Est as largest 7A. EDIT - Benet is smallest 8A school YIKES! @Souc seems to have had a couple more larger than GW schools qualifying in his preseason read. Maybe E'ville is the difference. E'ville is missing at 1-3, but if they get to 5 wins, they would push GW down to 7A.

With 8A being such a gauntlet this year, I will be doing all sorts of contortions trying to figure out how GW can stay 7A.

Thanks for all you do Catch. Much like the leaves changing, this is always my first sign that Autumn is here. Cheers!

Last edited:
Benet in 8A? Don't think I have ever seen that!! They better hope a bunch of high enrollment 8A teams get their act together and get to 5-4/6-3 so Benet can get back to 7A!

Was 8A in 2014, played Hinsdale Central in 1st round. If I recall correctly that year even with the multiplier Benet was the smallest school in 8A by about 150 "students" without the multiplier it was like by 800 students. Didn't go so well....

Benet in 8A? Don't think I have ever seen that!! They better hope a bunch of high enrollment 8A teams get their act together and get to 5-4/6-3 so Benet can get back to 7A!

And YES all those big schools pleeeaaaasssseee get to 5-4+!

Geez I forgot about 2014. I only found the Edgy site in 2015 (and read only that year) and then decided to join in 2016 so I could post.

Was that the only year Benet got bumped to 8A? I seem to remember their playoff runs in the early 2010-2013 were in 7A? They had a really good team that made the semi's but can't remember the year. I've been following western burbs football since about 2010 but only super closely since 2015 when my kid(s) began playing at the Varsity level

Reactions: Gene K.
2013 was a quarter final win against Downers North at DGN in last minute of game. Lost in Semis. That was 7A. don't know about prior years

2013 was a quarter final win against Downers North at DGN in last minute of game. Lost in Semis. That was 7A. don't know about prior years

Maybe it was earlier 2008-2009. I remember following in the Papers on a Benet run to the semi finals. but in any case - sounds like one crazy outlier year in 2014!!

Geez I forgot about 2014. I only found the Edgy site in 2015 (and read only that year) and then decided to join in 2016 so I could post.

Was that the only year Benet got bumped to 8A? I seem to remember their playoff runs in the early 2010-2013 were in 7A? They had a really good team that made the semi's but can't remember the year. I've been following western burbs football since about 2010 but only super closely since 2015 when my kid(s) began playing at the Varsity level
You can check this kind of question quickly at:
http://ihsa.org/SportsActivities/BoysFootball/RecordsHistory.aspx?url=/data/fb/records/index.htm

Go to the right side and look for:
Season Summaries
(Team Titles, Won-Lost Records, & Head Coaches)

In this case click on the "L" for Lisle, then scroll down the page and you will see a year by year listing for Benet that includes a Q when they qualify for the playoffs and a 4A, 7A or 8A.

I spend a ton time playing around in the Records and History section of the IHSA website. So many cool stories can be derived.

on 2nd look, I actually like that draw. I just wish MS wasnt the only threat to HF up there.

That lower bracket in 8A is a killer if it holds up-Marist, LA, Hinsdale Central, LWE and Stevenson. Wow - you get out of that you're loaded for bear.

Pertaining to the Lincoln-Ways question, right now the outlook has West (3-1) as their 9 seed Central (3-0) as their 15 seed… They only count victories, and playoff points. So while Central is undefeated, they are still "seeded" lower than West because they each have 3 victories and West has more playoff points.

Upon further exploration, the IHSA website doesn't have a final for the game between LW Central and Lockport… Was it postponed? Does anyone know why? If LWC won this game and the site gets corrected, naturally LWC will leapfrog LWW. In fact, LWC at 4-0/18 would currently be the 2 seed in 7A.

I usually don't correct anything however. My post remains as-is until the next week. The IHSA is correcting their site several times throughout the week, and I can't make all those changes.

Reactions: RockSoup
If Hillcrest stays healthy and avoids Phillips, I could see them making a run to the semis or finals.

Pertaining to the Lincoln-Ways question, right now the outlook has West (3-1) as their 9 seed Central (3-0) as their 15 seed… They only count victories, and playoff points. So while Central is undefeated, they are still "seeded" lower than West because they each have 3 victories and West has more playoff points.

Upon further exploration, the IHSA website doesn't have a final for the game between LW Central and Lockport… Was it postponed? Does anyone know why? If LWC won this game and the site gets corrected, naturally LWC will leapfrog LWW. In fact, LWC at 4-0/18 would currently be the 2 seed in 7A.

I usually don't correct anything however. My post remains as-is until the next week. The IHSA is correcting their site several times throughout the week, and I can't make all those changes.

LWC won, I believe 42-0

Last edited:
All.... Chatham(Glenwood) will finish no worse than 5-4 and be in the lower bracket of 6A. Ratsy

I think St. Laurence at De La Salle would be an excellent first-round matchup in 6A.

The people at St. Rita have treated us wonderfully this season as we've been playing there because of construction at our place, but I would give the world for Laurence and D to play at D. Some of those games in the past have been outstanding to watch.

I think St. Laurence at De La Salle would be an excellent first-round matchup in 6A.

The people at St. Rita have treated us wonderfully this season as we've been playing there because of construction at our place, but I would give the world for Laurence and D to play at D. Some of those games in the past have been outstanding to watch.

@voice of meteor football can you give an update on the construction? What is being done? Thanks in advance!

With 8A being such a gauntlet this year, I will be doing all sorts of contortions trying to figure out how GW can stay 7A.
I will go to church to pray for 7A as I think GBW is going to really struggle if they get stuck back into 8A this year...

To echo MCHSAlu, what renovations are being done? I miss OthelloLost!

Our gym is being retrofitted with more locker room space as well as offices and other facilities as we are now all together on one campus. When everything is completed, a really good facility is going to be even better.

Our gym is being retrofitted with more locker room space as well as offices and other facilities as we are now all together on one campus. When everything is completed, a really good facility is going to be even better.

Any field turf, or sticking with grass?

It is an honor just to be nominated, to be mentioned on the same list as those other talented teams.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT