ADVERTISEMENT

ICE Notes...

Heard Herscher only has 16 juniors and seniors in the program.. haven't been around much so not sure whats going on, but things have really cratered there since 2018.. of the kids they have, there is some good talent, but has the looks of a tough season.. will get Dunbar and Streator, have a chance with Peotone and Manteno.. maybe Lisle?? Going to guess between 3-5 wins..

When do we get a conference preview?

Saw CC’s first 3 games, brutal.
Crazy Herscher has those numbers with the success they had a few years ago.
My son no longer is in the program but saw Coach Tolly the other day and he said they have 15 starters back this year.
RC chatter is getting louder it seems.
And in the end, it’s probably Wilmington again right?

Month away from the season starting. Anyone catch the dates of Braidwoods State Championship parade the next two years? Lot of chatter on how dominant they are going to be for a program that hasn't had a winning record in years. I know they will be good but you have to learn how to walk before you run
HA! I love it!

I think I should provide context for those outside the immediate ICE footprint so people don't just think we are haters.

For the last several years, maybe when this year's JR class was 7th or 8th grade, the RC faithful has made claims of that class being a state title contender. I am not exaggerating. I personally know a few of the people that have claimed it.

Now I wouldn't hate if they said something like "wow that class might make the playoffs a few years in HS" but for a bottom of the barrel program like RC to claim a championship is waiting for them is just laughable. Like I said in a previous post I'll set their O/U wins for the season at 3.5.......insider tip, take the under.

HA! I love it!

I think I should provide context for those outside the immediate ICE footprint so people don't just think we are haters.

For the last several years, maybe when this year's JR class was 7th or 8th grade, the RC faithful has made claims of that class being a state title contender. I am not exaggerating. I personally know a few of the people that have claimed it.

Now I wouldn't hate if they said something like "wow that class might make the playoffs a few years in HS" but for a bottom of the barrel program like RC to claim a championship is waiting for them is just laughable. Like I said in a previous post I'll set their O/U wins for the season at 3.5.......insider tip, take the under.
Elmwood Park
Arcola
Then the 7 conference teams. Who is beating them? Not disagreeing with you just curious your thoughts on the over/under😂

Elmwood Park
Arcola
Then the 7 conference teams. Who is beating them? Not disagreeing with you just curious your thoughts on the over/under😂
I think it makes sense for the 3A schools in the conference to schedule an easy game, but not two.. and it also makes since for the 4A schools (CC and Manteno) to schedule tough week 1 and 2 games..

Elmwood Park
Arcola

They should beat Streator. Maybe Herscher. Honestly I did not watch much football or pay much attention to the spring season so I have no idea what to expect. Just going off of traditional program success.

Even if they get to 5 wins with two cupcakes for non-con games does it mean anything? Are those two teams "cupcakes"? I thought Arcola had some decent 1A teams once in awhile.

I think it makes sense for the 3A schools in the conference to schedule an easy game, but not two.. and it also makes since for the 4A schools (CC and Manteno) to schedule tough week 1 and 2 games..
I don't think it matters if a school is 3/4A. I think it should come down to the strength of a program. For example Wilmo and CC should be going out and getting two tough non-con opponents. However, you don't want two totally unwinnable games where you could end up affecting your playoff seeding with two loses. Manteno would maybe want one tough game and one cupcake since they are up and down year to year. They need to see where they are but they also need that extra win.

Non-con scheduling for high school has always fascinated me. It has to be hard to find the right mix of good competition, getting wins, geography, finding teams open to play you.

I don't think it matters if a school is 3/4A. I think it should come down to the strength of a program. For example Wilmo and CC should be going out and getting two tough non-con opponents. However, you don't want two totally unwinnable games where you could end up affecting your playoff seeding with two loses. Manteno would maybe want one tough game and one cupcake since they are up and down year to year. They need to see where they are but they also need that extra win.

Non-con scheduling for high school has always fascinated me. It has to be hard to find the right mix of good competition, getting wins, geography, finding teams open to play you.
I think it totally matters, job is to prepare yourself for the postseason.. Manteno and CC are now in a 3A conference so they better add some tough non-conf game..

Braidwood has some talented skill kids. The McPherson kid is a heck of an athlete. I’m not sure how good they are up front, and obviously they have zero tradition. I’d take the over 3.5 for sure, but I don’t expect a deep playoff run.

I think it totally matters, job is to prepare yourself for the postseason.. Manteno and CC are now in a 3A conference so they better add some tough non-conf game..
I think you kind of missed my point. Manteno is not a for sure deep run type of team. Their balance of tough game/win probability is much more important than CC or Wilmo. Wilmo went years without a real test in the old I8. They were 3A the whole time. I always thought they needed more competition.

HA! I love it!

There is a possible comparable for Reed Custer...but I just don't think the Comets are very close to it, while some of their fans probably think they are close...

Plano. According to the IHSA site, Plano made the playoffs in 1980 at 12-1, losing to Morris in the semis. A couple of those early years they missed the playoffs with only one loss. But their last winning record was 6-3 in '93...Jim Greene takes over in 2003. Did anyone have the predictions that he would go 3-6 in '03, 3-6 in '04, and then explode? Semis in '05, title in '06, title in '07...

RC fans are acting like their now junior class is the equivalent of that Plano group. Sure, they were undefeated as freshmen I understand. But they sure weren't the '05 Plano semifinal team this spring, although they tried to act like it Week 1 pounding Manteno. They have some nice players, but...there is no Nick Nasti, Tribune Athlete of the Year, on their roster. The Comets have a good shot at making the playoffs, but I really think their quite overconfident...

ICE fans...as the season approaches, do you think we should have a season long thread like this one, or a new thread every week like we did in prior years?

Scheduling...for years, Wilmington dominated the I8 small but was very ready for the 3A playoffs by playing 4 4A schools in crossover games; for a couple years the Cats were the smallest school in the conference. Non-con scheduling has been interesting since the all-crossover schedules ended...obviously from the small division schools complaining about not making the playoffs for years other than Wilmo...

Manteno's first attempt at non-con games was too big a bite with Canton & Morris. Wilmo was playing big schools (Ottawa, Oak Lawn Community) who they just pounded. But I think grabbing games with the Kishwaukee schools, who were having trouble scheduling, is giving Wilmo some challenge...

ICE fans...as the season approaches, do you think we should have a season long thread like this one, or a new thread every week like we did in prior years?

Scheduling...for years, Wilmington dominated the I8 small but was very ready for the 3A playoffs by playing 4 4A schools in crossover games; for a couple years the Cats were the smallest school in the conference. Non-con scheduling has been interesting since the all-crossover schedules ended...obviously from the small division schools complaining about not making the playoffs for years other than Wilmo...

Manteno's first attempt at non-con games was too big a bite with Canton & Morris. Wilmo was playing big schools (Ottawa, Oak Lawn Community) who they just pounded. But I think grabbing games with the Kishwaukee schools, who were having trouble scheduling, is giving Wilmo some challenge...
I love the wilmo non-con slate this year. Should be some good games if those teams are on par with their past tradition.

I like having a weekly thread. Especially since it's a full 9 game season. Just gets to be too much otherwise IMO.

Reactions: Gene K.
There is a possible comparable for Reed Custer...but I just don't think the Comets are very close to it, while some of their fans probably think they are close...

Plano. According to the IHSA site, Plano made the playoffs in 1980 at 12-1, losing to Morris in the semis. A couple of those early years they missed the playoffs with only one loss. But their last winning record was 6-3 in '93...Jim Greene takes over in 2003. Did anyone have the predictions that he would go 3-6 in '03, 3-6 in '04, and then explode? Semis in '05, title in '06, title in '07...

RC fans are acting like their now junior class is the equivalent of that Plano group. Sure, they were undefeated as freshmen I understand. But they sure weren't the '05 Plano semifinal team this spring, although they tried to act like it Week 1 pounding Manteno. They have some nice players, but...there is no Nick Nasti, Tribune Athlete of the Year, on their roster. The Comets have a good shot at making the playoffs, but I really think their quite overconfident...
I think that people get tricked by freshman success. A lot can change in those couple of years. I agree with your comparison. Although I too think that is a far stretch for them. I am sure they will make playoffs this year and/or next year, but is that the measuring stick of your program? Ending the season 5-5? I've asked before, how long will RC coach have a job? Honestly, not being a hater, but what is his expectation? Playoffs the next two years then back to 2-7 or 3-6 every year, is that enough to stick around? Does anybody else want the job?

I think Braidwoods Junior class is a pretty good group. I do believe they will make the playoffs and be in the mix for the ICE title. But winning playoff games takes a special kind of team. The conference in my eyes is down, has been for a few years.

I think CC if they stay healthy the first two weeks regardless of if they win or not is key. They stay healthy they will be in the mix. Wilmo has some really good size up front and can control the pace but I think they lack a stud back to get things done. RC is loaded at the skill positions and will make some noise. I have been saying that the last few years Johnston is a good coach and is changing the mentality there. Manteno is a bit of an unknown for me but I always expect them to be good. Peotone is returning a lot of starters and Coach Tolly gets the most out of what he has there. Those are the teams I can see in the mix for the conference title and playoffs

I think that people get tricked by freshman success. A lot can change in those couple of years. I agree with your comparison. Although I too think that is a far stretch for them. I am sure they will make playoffs this year and/or next year, but is that the measuring stick of your program? Ending the season 5-5? I've asked before, how long will RC coach have a job? Honestly, not being a hater, but what is his expectation? Playoffs the next two years then back to 2-7 or 3-6 every year, is that enough to stick around? Does anybody else want the job?
Freshman records mean absolutely nothing

I ike the weekly threads, wont get to as many games this year but I plan on making as many as I can

ADVERTISEMENT