ADVERTISEMENT

I hope everyone has a turf practice field

More importantly, I hope everyone shoveled that bit of snow off their roof.
Good point. You don't have to get up on a ladder and PLEASE don't go on your roof if you have snow on it. Bad idea. You can get a 21 foot adjustable snow rake or a Snow Joe from Home Depot. They are pretty reasonable. Pretty easy to use but it does become a little harder if you get a real heavy snow, especially if it packs a little from the heat of the roof. But a lot easier and smarter than going on a ladder. People just don't realize how much weight snow adds to a roof, not to mention the damage ice dams can do.

The big issue I see is these fields will be complete slush fields when it’s to practice. W all this snow, these fields ain’t drying up anytime soon.

I think the freezing temps are gone so the fields Won’t be concrete (which is great) but they will be soaked and will turn into mud fields soon.

anyhow, drove by Batavia the other night and the lights were on and kids were running around. So good to see!
I agree 100%. Non turf fields are going to get some serious damage this spring. Most baseball fields I have seen over the years are still soft in the middle of April. So, non-turf fields will certainly be soft and sloppy. And you always seem to have that week to 10 days of crappy wet weather somewhere in there.

Personally, I think football should have been played in the fall and certainly could have. We have gone over that completely. And, I really don't like the idea of playing football in the spring. I never have. Spring is for spring sports. But, that's just my opinion.

Reactions: sporthog9er
De La Salle has a field house.

All Lways, Lemont, Argo, EP, Tinley, Bremen, OF, Hillcrest, HF, Crete, Thornton, Thornwood, All Plainfields, Joliet West, Joliet Central, Lockport, Bolingbrook, Romeoville, Both Hinsdales, Both Downers, Morton, WWS, Wheaton North... To name a few.
Where are the 3 D230 (Sandburg, Stagg, Andrew) schools on this list? I wonder if the new incoming superintendent (current Andrew principal and IHSA Advisory Board member) would float this possibility? No real hint of this in decades and I doubt the voters would approve anyway.

Good point. You don't have to get up on a ladder and PLEASE don't go on your roof if you have snow on it. Bad idea. You can get a 21 foot adjustable snow rake or a Snow Joe from Home Depot. They are pretty reasonable. Pretty easy to use but it does become a little harder if you get a real heavy snow, especially if it packs a little from the heat of the roof. But a lot easier and smarter than going on a ladder. People just don't realize how much weight snow adds to a roof, not to mention the damage ice dams can do.
Yes, these aluminum snow rakes with the extension handles are great for pulling snow down when standing on the ground, but equally useful for pushing it off the edge/gutter areas of the roof from on top. If able to safely get up to the highest areas of the roof, you can push standing far from the edges. Either way, if you have ice-damming problems, clearing these roof edge areas ASAP following all snows off about 2" or more is best. From atop, wide rubber squeegies and strong push brooms are other useful accessories although you need to get closer to the edge. Signed, A Veteran Ice-damming Warrior.

Where are the 3 D230 (Sandburg, Stagg, Andrew) schools on this list? I wonder if the new incoming superintendent (current Andrew principal and IHSA Advisory Board member) would float this possibility? No real hint of this in decades and I doubt the voters would approve anyway.

They all got/are getting turf baseball fields. Doubt you will ever see field houses.

Reactions: johnndoe
They all got/are getting turf baseball fields. Doubt you will ever see field houses.

Field houses are large and a major expense especially if you are tight on land. When WWS and WN got theirs they were part of a much larger $120 million bond and required that they reconfigure practice fields and move parking lots to accommodate them, if it was just a bond to build the field house it would have never passed.

Looking out the windows all of the icicles on my neighbors houses melted/fell off over the night. Natural grass fields will be swamps. Field turf fields should drain well if they are connected to the sewer system.

Last edited:
The big issue I see is these fields will be complete slush fields when it’s to practice. W all this snow, these fields ain’t drying up anytime soon.

I think the freezing temps are gone so the fields Won’t be concrete (which is great) but they will be soaked and will turn into mud fields soon.

anyhow, drove by Batavia the other night and the lights were on and kids were running around. So good to see!
For some reason I’m envisioning John Candy mud wrestling in Stripes.

Accuweather has every day this week above freezing with sun. Saturday and Sunday highs in the mid 40's. Schools with field turf will be outside by Monday if they make any effort to get snow off the field now.

Reactions: Q5clan
Looking out the windows all of the icicles on my neighbors houses melted/fell off over the night. Natural grass fields will be swamps. Fields turf fields should drain well if they are connected to the sewer system.

Field Turf Fields will be fine. Grass Practice fields will basically be unusable. Especially if they are not on the high ground at your school.

As a guy that is looking forward to standing outside of the fences at Rockne and watching some spring football on a Thursday afternoon, does anyone think that CPS is going to clear snow from any of these fields, practice or otherwise? If they can't clear fields, I'm a little nervous that they won't be able to put other things together.

As a guy that is looking forward to standing outside of the fences at Rockne and watching some spring football on a Thursday afternoon, does anyone think that CPS is going to clear snow from any of these fields, practice or otherwise? If they can't clear fields, I'm a little nervous that they won't be able to put other things together.
"Put other things together?" Like even a hint of a plan for any in-person learning this year? IMO the optics are real bad for the start of high-risk basketball with no learning model option aside from remote. Could we name any other school district in the state competing without any plan or existence of "some" in-person instruction?

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost

When we played Rock Island in 97 the Gately Crew refused to plow the field. Would only do outlines and hash marks. Public parks are not getting plowed in CPS for practice.

St Charles East football field was cleared and is following Edgy board poster recommendations of letting the last couple of inches melt on their own. I suspect it will be fully clear by the weekend if not earlier.

I’d have the boys out there shoveling after practice. Good workout!
Math problem:

If all the kids in all three levels came out for one hour yesterday how much snow could they move in an hour?

If you give a number answer you must show your work (calculations).

My answer: a lot of snow

Reactions: Bowie50
I thought I needed a snow rake, but they were all sold out. So I took my push broom and that seemed to work well. Then I bought some cheap 10’ pvc and rigged something up to extend it. All told I got the job done for under $10.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Math problem:
If all the kids in all three levels came out for one hour yesterday how much snow could they move in an hour?
If you give a number answer you must show your work (calculations).
My answer: a lot of snow
If I am a remote learner, I should answer your math problem but I may not have to be correct. I can not be assigned a failing grade in many cases, you know.

"Put other things together?" Like even a hint of a plan for any in-person learning this year? IMO the optics are real bad for the start of high-risk basketball with no learning model option aside from remote. Could we name any other school district in the state competing without any plan or existence of "some" in-person instruction?

TFS and TFN are fully remote.

Reactions: mates1
TFS and TFN are fully remote.
Any knowledge, sir, about the learning models in place for other schools generally in that area, like Southland Conference members Rich and Bloom Townships, C-M or the 3 Thorns?

When we played Rock Island in 97 the Gately Crew refused to plow the field. Would only do outlines and hash marks. Public parks are not getting plowed in CPS for practice.
97. Based on what I've seen, I am going to assume it is the same crew at Gately. Doesn't seem to be a lot of changeover at CPS stadiums. I hope they can do something to get the CPS teams playing. A lot of the city kids need something positive after a year. Showing up to practice on a field covered in slushy snow and mud isn't great for numbers or morale. Plus, I need Thursday afternoon football!

Reactions: Gene K.
Just saw a facebook post thanking York's maintenance staff. Had some pics of the football field and it's completely clear of snow.

Just saw a facebook post thanking York's maintenance staff. Had some pics of the football field and it's completely clear of snow.

I think game fields will be clear or nearly clear most places next week. Practice space for 3 levels of football and 3 levels of soccer will be the issue.

Just drove by our high school and they must have attempted to plow the soccer field. Grooved tired tracks all over the grass field. Hope they are smarter with the football field. Sheesh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT