ADVERTISEMENT

How will NCAA fix log jam?

colin2229

Jul 23, 2005
NCAA Eligibility states that a student-athlete has 5 years to play 4 seasons of eligibility. For the next next 6 years, kids now have 6 years to play 5 years of eligibility.

The 2021 season is going to present a massive log jam of players on rosters. How is the NCAA going to fix this or will it just play itself out over the years?

Ex: A D1 program could potentially not lose one player after this season due to this years eligibility not counting. What happens w all these incoming freshman that signed LOI to come ply for you?
* QB at Miami,Fl just played his red-shirt SR season. He just announced, bc this year didn’t count, he will be back for a 6th year. The coaches didn’t anticipate him returning and replaced his scholarship w an incoming QB. Does that QB now not have a scholarship?

Ex: the D3 level is going to see some 200+ rosters.
*If I’m a D3 coach-I am grey shirting loads of kids. Would allow them to go through pre-season camp and then tell them to lift during the season and you will be back on the team come spring. 99% chance this is going to be a wasted year of eligibility otherwise.

D3 kids just wont play. Not worth it.

I think we see more PWO and not less.

PWO are the ones who are going to get the short end
How? They are already not scholarshiped? The biggest issues are going to be too few scholarships for too few kids (incoming frosh and 5th/6th year kids getting that extra year). Unless some exceptions are made, it’s going to be a purely number of available scholarship issues. Programs will actually value preferred walk ons because they can be part of the program and not use a scholarship (which will be very valuable in 2021).

Now PWO kids hoping for a scholarship are going to get squeezed for sure. Kids who may otherwise have been granted a free education in their third or fourth year now probably won’t simply because colleges will be bursting at the seems with transfer portal kids and extra eligibility year kids.

I have a senior that plays d-3 football.
When asked by his position coach if he'd be interested in a 5th year he laughed and replied
"It's time to go to work".
At $55k/year I believe that's a good choice.

D3 don’t pay for scholarships so $55k doesn’t make sense. Even if he’s getting grants or money for grades. Your foolish if you think a 5th year is a good thing. Come on tell me he’s getting a full ride.

Now PWO kids hoping for a scholarship are going to get squeezed for sure. Kids who may otherwise have been granted a free education in their third or fourth year now probably won’t simply because colleges will be bursting at the seems with transfer portal kids and extra eligibility year kids.
That's what I was alluding to

Let’s also remember someone has to pay for these scholarships. Many of these players will not be invited back.

biggest issue will be for kids who decide to transfer but then realize there are no spots left at their level.

this doesn’t even address what I believe is the biggest issue. Due to budget cuts many FCS and d2 schools may not be able to afford their max scholarship allocations

D3 don’t pay for scholarships so $55k doesn’t make sense. Even if he’s getting grants or money for grades. Your foolish if you think a 5th year is a good thing. Come on tell me he’s getting a full ride.
His academic money accounts for a little more than $25k of the $55k bill.
The good news is I only have 4 of those tuition payments remaining, then it’s party time!!!

Reactions: Gene K.
this doesn’t even address what I believe is the biggest issue. Due to budget cuts many FCS and d2 schools may not be able to afford their max scholarship allocations

Players who qualify for significant non-athletic, need based financial aid might well become preferred walk-ons...if the in-state parents make less than the $67,000 (?) per year to qualify for the Illinois zero tuition program, I'm guessing there will be attempts to convince the NCAA to allow such programs to pay for tuition...might be perfect timing for the Illini to be pushing for in-state players.

There are loads of D3 kids deciding to play their senior year. Majority of players/coaches I’ve talked to are seeing the seniors stay and play. I would encourage kids to pursue a graduate degree.

It’s no where near $55k to play D3 ball unless your at possibly a University of Chicago type of school. Even at that - still would find $55k hard to believe.

I coached D3 ball for several years. Kids paid 12k-28k after grants/scholarships.

I actually had lunch w a cousin today who plays D1. Their coach is telling most seniors to go ahead and graduate and move on. You won’t have a scholarship for next fall if you decide to return. Interesting to hear that.

• Wow
There are loads of D3 kids deciding to play their senior year. Majority of players/coaches I’ve talked to are seeing the seniors stay and play. I would encourage kids to pursue a graduate degree.

It’s no where near $55k to play D3 ball unless your at possibly a University of Chicago type of school. Even at that - still would find $55k hard to believe.

I coached D3 ball for several years. Kids paid 12k-28k after grants/scholarships.

I actually had lunch w a cousin today who plays D1. Their coach is telling most seniors to go ahead and graduate and move on. You won’t have a scholarship for next fall if you decide to return. Interesting to hear that.

Playing this spring and coming back next fall are two different things. If you hve a log jam kids just wont come out or transfer to a state school and pay less money.

Players who qualify for significant non-athletic, need based financial aid might well become preferred walk-ons...if the in-state parents make less than the $67,000 (?) per year to qualify for the Illinois zero tuition program, I'm guessing there will be attempts to convince the NCAA to allow such programs to pay for tuition...might be perfect timing for the Illini to be pushing for in-state players.
It really all is great timing for the Illini. With a free agency bonanza about to begin, it’s the perfect time to be adding a new coach with new contacts.

I’m not one to believe that solving the in state recruiting issues will make Illinois relevant again. There isn’t even enough talent in the state to do that, but he is saying all the right things about making Illinois a priority.

really excited to see how this hire plays out. It’s nice to see some of the Illini OL announce they’re accepting the extra year of eligibility today too. That was actually a good unit on an otherwise talent deprived team. If Bret can add some skill position transfers we can have an offense next year.

Many D3 schools don't have grad degrees or ones that would fit a particular person.

CCIW Schools for 2021-2022 school year (from their web pages)
Augustana-$57,685
Illinois Wesleyan-$58,546
Carthage-$45,400
Wheaton-$51,800
I know 4 years ago U of Chicago was near $70k.
You are correct that there is a lot of financial aid available.

I have a senior that plays d-3 football.
When asked by his position coach if he'd be interested in a 5th year he laughed and replied
"It's time to go to work".
At $55k/year I believe that's a good choice.
Smart young man.

this would require a major ncaa rule change. A scholarship play can not give up a scholarship and still play. (Technically he can but he would still count against the 85)

CCIW Schools for 2021-2022 school year (from their web pages)
Augustana-$57,685
Illinois Wesleyan-$58,546
Carthage-$45,400
Wheaton-$51,800
I know 4 years ago U of Chicago was near $70k.
You are correct that there is a lot of financial aid available.

The sticker price is not what the families actually play. Not close...

The sticker price is not what the families actually play. Not close...

Augustana 71% of students receive need based aid, after aid average cost is $28,759

Wheaton College 60% of students receive need based aid, after aid average cost is $28,547

IWU 72% of students receive need based aid, after aid average cost is $32,760

Millikin University 69% of students receive need based aid, after aid average cost is $40,769

Elmhurst University 75% of students receive need based aid, after aid average cost is $28,195

Carthage College 79% of students receive need based aid, after aid average cost is $31,780

North Central 75% of students receive need based aid, after aid average cost is $29,615

Carroll University 76% of students receive need based aid, after aid average cost is $25,250

North Park- I couldn’t find.

Source US News & World Report

Reactions: colin2229
Thanks for digging into that Clown.

Athletes will pay less than these numbers as well...especially football.

Football tends to have lots of kids from lower income households and thus they get more aid.

Furthermore, coaches are able to get athletes (they really want) more aid. If a competing school has a better aid package, you better believe that coach is going to the aid department to beat or match that plan.

Reactions: USD24
Below are some startling numbers re the transfer portal;

"The last time I saw, there were over 800 athletes in the Transfer Portal.

Not only is that number alarming, more than half on a normal year do not find a home after leaving their previous school - if this holds constant, that means there will be 400 players out of a chance to obtain a degree for leaving their school."

I was reading an article in the Duke Chronicle (student paper) yesterday comparing why the Blue Devils women's team cancelled the season while football and mens hoops play. Money, obviously, is why the men are still playing.

The article cites an Oct. 22 USA Today article, NCAA executive: College sports financial woes could last into 2023. NCAA chief medical officer Brian Hainline is cited for the proposition that NCAA championships may still not happen this year - including in mens hoops, the primary NCAA money maker. Hainline was a presenter at a panel discussion entitled "Rethinking the ROI of Youth Sports", presented by the Aspen Institute as part of its annual Project Play Summit.

"Hainline said: 'There's going to be a lot of challenges going forward with championships. So, there's a revenue model there and the revenues are not coming in. But I think if we take a step back - and I think we need to - it's not even about cutting sports. We're probably at a place where 20% to 30% of Division III schools may not survive this pandemic. And that's a whole other thing that we need to think seriously about."

Current rules require 14 teams for a school to be D1, 16 to be FBS. You are likely to start hearing about schools wanting those numbers cut back for financial reasons. It will be football & basketball against the world at the higher levels, but at the lower? How many D3 schools are going to turn on their football programs, axeing one sport to save many less expensive sports?

And for those who think that kids are going to drop to D3 and play football, I'm sure the coaches have been instructed to invite everyone to come suit up. There's 22 D3 schools in Illinois 18 of which play football. 10 more schools are NAIA, 5 of which play football (Judson is supposed to start football in 2021 for 6). If 20 to 30% of the schools might not survive, that's 4-6 folding up completely and joining MacMurray in the history books...so these schools are likely going to be desperate for tuition dollars. Here's $600 worth of football gear, thank you for your $20,000+ worth of tuition...hopefully we don't fold before you get to put the gear on.

It doesn’t look good for the future of D3 athletics. Why on earth would any freshman parent send their kid to D3 w the high likely hood of no season? Send your kid to the local community college to get started on your degree and save 15k +.

D3’s enrollment is around 40-60% athletes. W no sports....it’s going to kill the enrollment.

Added reasons
* e-learning blows
* freshman can do electives at the community college and aren’t at a point where the only have degree focuses classes
* the student athlete isn’t physically ready to
Play so in a way...it’s a red shirt year.

added reason: no one knows what in the world is going on w this virus. May be good idea to protect your kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT