ADVERTISEMENT

Homewood-Flossmoor

WIU78

Dec 27, 2006
H-F loses twice in 2019. Both times to LW East. When quizzed by EDGY and WJOL cast, the Griffin captains were very emphatic in saying the Vikings were their toughest opponents. Why no love for H-F in the polls? As a side note, there is not anyone with better coverage of HS sports in Illinois, or anyone that can rival EDGY and Joliet radio..WJOL.

They should have been ranked higher then BR and Marist and that’s no offense to those schools but they lost twice to LWE and made the quarters. The above 2 did not make finals and had 5 loses.

@EdgyTim honest question on this, how did they end up below two five loss teams when their only losses were to LWE? Because the other teams advance further? I know that seems obvious but I think HF beats them both this year.
Same issues this year than in recent years with HF....earlier exit in the post-season and I never realized that being ranked #10 in Chicagoland was a slap in the face...along with the fact that the others mentioned I felt was playing well in the post-season...then we can get into strength of schedule etc. but I won't so...

Reactions: Gene K.
Regarding HF strength of schedule, Penn from Mishawaka, IN was down in some part due to loss of their starting QB the week before the Vikings came to town. In HF's cross-overs with the Red Division, they dominated both teams from that side that made the playoffs. Although in close fashion, they took down division-rival Bolingbrook not long before convincingly topping highly-touted Neuqua Valley in Round 2 of the playoffs. Not so shabby a resume from 2019.

Reactions: Solid Snake Pliskin
Was Neuqua Valley the real deal? H-F ran all over their defense at will during the playoff game.

Reactions: McEvergreen
Was Neuqua Valley the real deal? H-F ran all over their defense at will during the playoff game.
Was at that game and the HF offense dominated NV. That was the only time I saw NV though, so maybe they just didn't play well.

It’s a giving some love to the Vikings thread. A strong program that has been overlooked this year in my opinion. I am sure there are others as well. Neuqua Valley had the press this year to substantiate another strong program....H-F not so much.

It’s a giving some love to the Vikings thread. A strong program that has been overlooked this year in my opinion. I am sure there are others as well. Neuqua Valley had the press this year to substantiate another strong program....H-F not so much.

NV got the press because they almost beat ESL. This gave everyone pause about the ESL & NV defense. The fact that the HF offense did the very same thing against NV defense makes me wonder what would happen if HF played ESL because IMO HF has a much better defense than NV. I am sure my take will upset a few sensitive Flyer fans but I think the game would of been interesting. HF was better than a lot of people thought.

NV got the press because they almost beat ESL. This gave everyone pause about the ESL & NV defense. The fact that the HF offense did the very same thing against NV defense makes me wonder what would happen if HF played ESL because IMO HF has a much better defense than NV. I am sure my take will upset a few sensitive Flyer fans but I think the game would of been interesting. HF was better than a lot of people thought.

It’s tough to drive 6 hours on bus then get off and play since you never know how kids will react after the drive, most teams outside of EStL aren’t willing to do it.

When ESL played L-W Central years ago they came up the day before if my memory is correct. I like the idea of a ESL matchup with H-F with the athletic ability that would be on that field. Heck H-F could foot the bill easily. Imagine ESL with the practice facilities available that are offered to the Vikings. Just to mention this matchup with the Flyers vs. an accomplished 8A program shows the absolute respect for ESL and the numbers and accolades they have amassed for years in HS football. Hats off to the Flyers as well as the Vikings.

When ESL played L-W Central years ago they came up the day before if my memory is correct. I like the idea of a ESL matchup with H-F with the athletic ability that would be on that field. Heck H-F could foot the bill easily. Imagine ESL with the practice facilities available that are offered to the Vikings. Just to mention this matchup with the Flyers vs. an accomplished 8A program shows the absolute respect for ESL and the numbers and accolades they have amassed for years in HS football. Hats off to the Flyers as well as the Vikings.

I couldn’t agree more. Total respect for ESL and HF.

Reactions: TigerforFlyers

ESL and HF would make a good matchup. HF has even come down to play a Missouri team in the classic that we host annually (border wars concept). There is definitely respect for HF.

Regarding travel this year, unlike in years past of Saturday games in Chicagoland, ESL scheduled two Friday night games in Chicagoland this year; both being 8A programs.

I think the greatest matchup, however, would be ESL and LWE. Will this ever happen?

Reactions: flyerforlife
ESL and HF would make a good matchup. HF has even come down to play a Missouri team in the classic that we host annually (border wars concept). There is definitely respect for HF.

Regarding travel this year, unlike in years past of Saturday games in Chicagoland, ESL scheduled two Friday night games in Chicagoland this year; both being 8A programs.

I think the greatest matchup, however, would be ESL and LWE. Will this ever happen?

I think the two coaches need to get together to discuss. I agree with you it would be a great matchup.

On another note not that it matters but USA Today has ESL #2 and East #5 in the Midwest.

Solid take. Never get upset about your opinion. Don't confuse having fun in the other thread with what ESL supporters actually feel. ESL always respect good football and competition.

Solid take. Never get upset about your opinion. Don't confuse having fun in the other thread with what ESL supporters actually feel. ESL always respect good football and competition.

No doubt we’re all good, it’s just opinions and heck at the end of the day we both could be wrong or right! Lol
Hard to get upset when your team won a state championship and is one of the top teams in the state. Really without a ranking/playoff similar to college football it will always be a debate.

No doubt we’re all good, it’s just opinions and heck at the end of the day we both could be wrong or right! Lol
Hard to get upset when your team won a state championship and is one of the top teams in the state. Really without a ranking/playoff similar to college football it will always be a debate.
That is the beauty of High School Football. Love it!

With Coach Z having central Illinois ties, ESL and East could meet halfway on a neutral field. I recall this happened with East and Edwardsville one time years ago. I went on the road to Illinois State to see the game.

ESL will play anyone, any time. What a program.

I see ESL wants to play the best. Is their an IHSA rule that they can’t play in 8A if they want to? Just asking because it sounds like they want to play the best teams. I think the toughest competition will be in 8A every week.

Reactions: McEvergreen
In all sincerity, you are making the assumption that everyone is in agreement that 8A is the toughest. I understand and can’t blame you for your perspective (I’m not in any way being combative), but I don’t think that anyone can support the case with absolute certainty that 8A is consistently tougher than 7A. I would, however, assert with confidence that the toughest between the two seems to vary from year to year.

Regardless, I think to accomplish a championship is challenging in all classes, but I won’t argue against the idea that 5-8A is consistently more challenging than 1-4A.

Last edited:
I see ESL wants to play the best. Is their an IHSA rule that they can’t play in 8A if they want to? Just asking because it sounds like they want to play the best teams. I think the toughest competition will be in 8A every week.

True competition is spread out between 5A - 8A. There are teams in each class that I am interested to see in person.

Whooooa... you mean a championship for Joliet Catholic Academy in 6A or 5A counts the same as a Mount Carmel in 7A or 8A? You all better start another thread away from the H-F love fest I intended here.

In all sincerity, you are making the assumption that everyone is in agreement that 8A is the toughest. I understand and can’t blame you for your perspective (I’m not in any way being combative), but I don’t think that anyone can support the case with absolute certainty that 8A is consistently tougher than 7A. I would, however, assert with confidence that the toughest between the two seems to vary from year to year.

Regardless, I think to accomplish a championship is challenging in all classes, but I won’t argue against the idea that 5-8A is consistently more challenging than 1-4A.

I can’t argue with that. I think 7A has teams that can compete just fine. I figure if your moving up you might as well go to 8A because then their is no argument since it’s the biggest and deepest class.

I don't see where LWE playing ESL benefits the former for their expected conference or 8A playoff competition. Maybe for H-F to a certain degree, but that's about it. I do not see this match-up happening.

I don't see where LWE playing ESL benefits the former for their expected conference or 8A playoff competition. Maybe for H-F to a certain degree, but that's about it. I do not see this match-up happening.
Not sure I follow you. Can you explain a bit more?

Playing ESL wouldn't help LWE prepare for the 8A playoffs? Size, speed and well coached... I can't think of a better team to play.

Not sure I follow you. Can you explain a bit more?
Playing ESL wouldn't help LWE prepare for the 8A playoffs? Size, speed and well coached... I can't think of a better team to play.
Check the "landscape" of the schools in their conference and the usual suspects in the 8A playoffs. IMHO.scheduling such an outlier as ESL is just too much of an "apples vs oranges" match-up to have sufficient value to East. The contrasts might have some intrigue to many people, but I would be shocked to learn of a game with the Flyers being a big priority in Frankfort.

Check the "landscape" of the schools in their conference and the usual suspects in the 8A playoffs. IMHO.scheduling such an outlier as ESL is just too much of an "apples vs oranges" match-up to have sufficient value to East. The contrasts might have some intrigue to many people, but I would be shocked to learn of a game with the Flyers being a big priority in Frankfort.

Why? Tell more.

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
Why? Tell more.
If I must connect the dots, so be it. I just think ESL is not a team East happens to be tooled for. LWE appears largely built for best success non-con, conference and playoffs for what they historically face in 8A programs over the years.

OK , well this WAS a Homewood-Flossmoor thread. I have not seen anyone at LWE not open to possible non-cons since they opened in 2001. ESL has also not ducked ANY competitors. The challenge to play the best, no matter what the style of play is, exists in the pedigree of the Flyers and Griffins who could make the playoffs regardless of the outcome of this non-con game. Now can return to the regular scheduled programming?

ADVERTISEMENT