ADVERTISEMENT

Hinsdale Central 28 - Glenbard West 7

RD_Watcher

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2019
Josh Welge posted on Twitter this morning: Confirmed that Glenbard West football resumed in-person practice yesterday and game at Hinsdale Central Friday night is ON.

So the annual meeting will once again decide the unofficial 2021 WSC Silver title, even though HC has played 4 games and GBW has only played 2.

You would think they would play it Saturday so GBW could get an extra day of practice in.

You would think they would play it Saturday so GBW could get an extra day of practice in.
I don’t know if they even asked. I could see GBW saying let’s play it as it is scheduled.

I do know HC Freshman A&B are scheduled to play Saturday against Morton, so moving the game would have impacted more than just HC and GBW. A lot of backend logistics go in to moving a game.

Does the records really matter this spring? Everyone knows these are the two best teams in the conference and tonight they will determine who is better on the field.

A really dominate performance by HCs Defense. GWs lone score was set up by a KOR inside the 5 yard line.

Hats off to the Red Devils. Can’t remember the last time GW was dominated in a conference game. That usually happens in the 8A playoffs.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
No been on the boards sine 1999. GBW isn't good this year. It happens 1992-2007 the program was real bad. It happens

Yet another example of the weird ass COVID spring season...and again taking nothing away froma very good HC team....but being basically shut down for any length of time has to have an impact.....just my 2 cents...
I agree.

Two weeks off can’t help but COVID or no COVID, HC is a great team on both sides of the ball this year. Impressive group and dominant performance.
Not to burst your bubble but HC would be out by the quarters in 8A this year (not unlike most years). So “great” might be an overstatement. LWE and LA are “great”. HC is a good HS football team, this season.

Not to burst your bubble but HC would be out by the quarters in 8A this year (not unlike most years). So “great” might be an overstatement. LWE and LA are “great”. HC is a good HS football team, this season.
You’ve been able to actually watch all these teams this year? Or are you simply going off history?

Either way, we won’t get a chance to know for certain. And I’ll never disparage a team I haven’t seen in person. HC has nothing to be ashamed of.

You’ve been able to actually watch all these teams this year? Or are you simply going off history?

Either way, we won’t get a chance to know for certain. And I’ll never disparage a team I haven’t seen in person. HC has nothing to be ashamed of.
Never stated that they should be “ashamed” of anything. Your words - not mine. I just don’t think they are a “great” team - again your words. I’m noting that you are a fan of hyperbole. Thanks to live stream and NFHS I can usually watch about 10 games a week. I’ve seen HC’s games this year. I am also going off history and HC never impresses me, quite frankly. It’s not a football school. Now, if we’re talking golf and tennis...just kidding. I think it’s important to be more pragmatic in your assessment of your / a team.

I recall a conversation I had at Meier’s before the LA HC playoff game a few years back with some HC parents I know. They were telling me that “this Red Devils team is special - its state or bust.” I mean it was really over the top. I had to remind them that their boys were playing in Wilmette on a Saturday. Didn’t matter. They were “winning state.” I listened, but before we parted ways, I said I want you to remember this conversation when you look up at the clock in the 4th quarter and it’s running. No running clock, but it was an ass-kicking (28-7). I recall Holacek calling off the dogs. Sorry to be a prick and so matter of fact, but it’s not a football school and history tends to repeat itself.

Last edited:
HC was in the championship game in more or less recent history. Think they may have lost to MS without looking it up to be sure.

HC was in the championship game in more or less recent history. Think they may have lost to MS without looking it up to be sure.
Eh (jk). Runners up in ‘08. What have you done for me lately. In other words, what have you done this past decade, at the very least. I think that’s reasonable...

Last edited:
Never stated that they should be “ashamed” of anything. Your words - not mine. I just don’t think they are a “great” team - again your words. I’m noting that you are a fan of hyperbole. Thanks to live stream and NFHS I can usually watch about 10 games a week. I’ve seen HC’s games this year. I am also going off history and HC never impresses me, quite frankly. It’s not a football school. Now, if we’re talking golf and tennis...just kidding. I think it’s important to be more pragmatic in your assessment of your / a team.

I recall a conversation I had at Meier’s before the LA HC playoff game a few years back with some HC parents I know. They were telling me that “this Red Devils team is special - its state or bust.” I mean it was really over the top. I had to remind them that their boys were playing in Wilmette on a Saturday. Didn’t matter. They were “winning state.” I listened, but before we parted ways, I said I want you to remember this conversation when you look up at the clock in the 4th quarter and it’s running. No running clock, but it was an ass-kicking (28-7). I recall Holacek calling off the dogs. Sorry to be a prick and so matter of fact, but it’s not a football school and history tends to repeat itself.
Yeah, I wasn’t talking about parents in a tavern of a team 4 years ago nor football programs in general, I was talking about the 22 kids that I saw last night. Talented group that played extremely well against a highly ranked and well coached GBW team.
Ramble on.

Yeah, I wasn’t talking about parents in a tavern of a team 4 years ago nor football programs in general, I was talking about the 22 kids that I saw last night. Talented group that played extremely well against a highly ranked and well coached GBW team.
Ramble on.
Your sensitivities, and attempt to spin the argument aside: Are they “great”? You stated that they are “great. Seems like you’re backpedaling a bit...or, we have a very different understanding of the word “great.”

Kudos to those 22 kids, but you used the term “great.”

It’s always a GREAT day to be a Rambler! Now how about a hug?

Last edited:
Your sensitivities aside: Are they “great”? Seems like your backpedaling a bit...

Kudos to those 22 kids, but you used the term “great.”

It’s always a great day to be a Rambler! Now how about a hug?
No sensitivities or backpedaling at all. Just laser focused on the topic of this Hinsdale team. Not where I went, or where my kids went, or who I typically pull for.....Just this great particular team that I witnessed. And Yes, we can hug it out!

Okay - I’ll admit I have a bias. But I’ll argue HC is a football school, even though they may not have been historically successful in the playoffs for whatever the reasons.

Over the past 10 years, HC had 63 players go on to play in college, 16 of which were at Power 5 schools. HC currently has 3 alumni on NFL rosters - Brian Allen (Rams), Ian Bunting (Cardinals), Thomas Ives (Bears) - with 3 more likely to make it in the league at some level - Jacob White (Ball St), Doug Kramer (ILL), Matt Bjornsen (IU).

As far as I know, the current roster has multiple commits at D1, D2, and D3, with QB Michael Brescia committed to Colgate.

While, yes, HC wins most of their State Championships in “Country Club” sports, to say they aren’t a football school is a little disingenuous. Just because the area is perceived as more white than blue collar doesn’t make them less gritty.

Reactions: Duhawk44
Thanks to live stream and NFHS I can usually watch about 10 games a week. I’ve seen HC’s games this year.
Wait, what??!!! You are watching 10 games every week? I (begrudgingly) pay for NFHS, and know how to find games on YouTube as well, but just don’t have the time to watch, some would say random, HS Football games. Perhaps I should, as I may see what everyone else sees around here. I admit, WSC Silver or Gold is not the premier conference in the are.

Good on ya and your dedication.

There’s only one Allen in the league?
Currently, yes, just Brian. Jack Allen (the oldest of the 3 brothers) did not continue to the NFL, and Matt (the youngest) is still at MSU. I should have included Matt in the “soon to be in the league” crew.

Currently, yes, just Brian. Jack Allen (the oldest of the 3 brothers) did not continue to the NFL, and Matt (the youngest) is still at MSU. I should have included Matt in the “soon to be in the league” crew.
I forgot Matt was still at MSU!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT