ADVERTISEMENT

High School "Club" football teams will be playing in the spring in Illinois

I don't think the people trying to set this up have any idea of the headache that they are in for, unfortunately. Besides the issues previously mentioned, the numbers of kids signing up are going to be so small. I can't imagine how many teams would actually be able to get to a level to compete in such a short window. If one kid on a team gets hurt the game would likely be over.

I don't think the people trying to set this up have any idea of the headache that they are in for, unfortunately. Besides the issues previously mentioned, the numbers of kids signing up are going to be so small. I can't imagine how many teams would actually be able to get to a level to compete in such a short window. If one kid on a team gets hurt the game would likely be over.

Great post Power. As someone who sat on a youth football board for 5 years, it’s a very complicated process to set up a season.

insurance
Registration
Fields for games
Fields for practices
Equipment
Equipment certifications
Coaches
Coaches background checks

and that’s before the season starts.

then you have to take into account officials, game day folks to operate the field

And let me be abundantly clear, no family is going to shell out over $500 to play and have to potentially provide their own equipment.

equipment isn’t cheap either.

I appreciate the will and want to do something - lord knows we need it, but this isn’t something that can be magically turned on in a matter of days or weeks. It will take more time if you want to do it right.

I am not seeing club happening because of the high cost per player and knowing this would turn into Daddy ball like all club sports.
I love the idea of this. No one wants to see CPS Thursday afternoon games in March at Rockne Stadium more than I do. Unfortunately, those are the last games that will happen with this plan, and that is why it will never get anywhere. Even if club football got some juice, the governor or the IDPH would kill it based on equity alone.

Two final points that I have been thinking about. Youth football programs have been around for decades. I
What believers in club football do not seem to be considering is that a club football program in this particular situation is a one-shot, one-season deal. The start-up cost for a club football program for high school kids is going to be huge, and you would be starting up a program that's likely only going to last not 40 years or 4 years but four months (February-May).
The other thing is getting film of a player to show a college coach. Really? The college coach is going to want to know who the kid is playing against, and you won't be able to answer. Well, yes you will ... team names can be animals such as Tigers, Lions, Shark, etc. And you can send the coach team rosters because of course, someone will print them up.

Why not ? Many schools let youth teams practice and play games on their field.

If they are not going to let their own students play football because of insurance, why would they let outside organizations go against JB and use their fields to play football?

Reactions: Gene K.
If they are not going to let their own students play football because of insurance, why would they let outside organizations go against JB and use their fields to play football?
Because other sports did it last year? IHSA softball was shutdown in the spring. Club softball still used school diamonds.

Reactions: missingwalter
I know that there were many non-sanctioned 7 on 7 leagues this fall, even though 7 on 7 was considered a medium risk sport and not allowed. There were organizations formed and kids played. They played games at Montini, St. Francis, ICCP, Wheaton Academy, etc. These private schools "own" their fields and can use them however they want. Many of them allowed 7 on 7 games to be played so they can use that as a way to recruit players. That being said, I can assure you that they would allow "Club" games to be played on their fields as long as there the teams have insurance, medical trainers, etc. Would this be easy? No. However it can be done. Again, it is not like there needs to be 50 teams involved. As long as there are 6-7 "Club" teams then they can have a season. If it is not sanctioned by IHSA and play on private fields, there is NOTHING Pritzger or IDPH can do about it!!!

Reactions: Bowie50
I know that there were many non-sanctioned 7 on 7 leagues this fall, even though 7 on 7 was considered a medium risk sport and not allowed. There were organizations formed and kids played. They played games at Montini, St. Francis, ICCP, Wheaton Academy, etc. These private schools "own" their fields and can use them however they want. Many of them allowed 7 on 7 games to be played so they can use that as a way to recruit players. That being said, I can assure you that they would allow "Club" games to be played on their fields as long as there the teams have insurance, medical trainers, etc. Would this be easy? No. However it can be done. Again, it is not like there needs to be 50 teams involved. As long as there are 6-7 "Club" teams then they can have a season. If it is not sanctioned by IHSA and play on private fields, there is NOTHING Pritzger or IDPH can do about it!!!

Why wouldnt those schools just play a high school season then?

Special carve-outs for FB competition among private schools or newly-formed clubs would surely increase the gap between the haves and have-nots of the state in a big way. For this reason, I would expect strong opposition to exist against such roll-outs, beyond the others already listed in this thread.

I highly doubt that every community would put up a team. Smaller towns often rely upon school facilities for their youth sports, and I would figure those communities will not be able to find space. But I could see some viable combos...speculating here.

In the Kankakee / ICE area, the majority of the youth leagues play on facilities owned by the school or park district. Four of the programs, however, control their own facility: Manteno, Wilmington, Herscher, and Bradley. I could see four club teams looking to lease the facilities...so the six Ice schools, Mac, Kankakee, BB, Momence & Central end up with four teams...probably a $1 lease and added to insurance.

Coaching and systems are probably a problem. Does a Wilmo / CC / RC dominated team run double wing, pro set, spread? How does Manteno spread mix with Peotone power run?

But reality here is that once other school sports start, the kids are likely going to go play whatever they normally play. Although, in my own words, its only money, I dont picture lots of parents putting up $1500 for football - particularly if Covid could shut the team down, cancel a number of games, etc. Basketball fires up, baseball & track go as scheduled, I see the demand for club football being fairly limited to the truly hard core football player. Although there could be 4 club sites in Kankakee / ICE area, maybe only one happens if other sports start.

Would it be widespread with a lot of communities fielding teams? Probably not.

But I would wager that organizations that already field or are related to 7 on 7 teams can pull this together with relative ease. I can see Boom and other type organizations fielding a few teams and they are probably already working on that situation should there be no football. I can see them easily pull together equipment and then play some travel games vs. others. Heck, didn't I already see a tweet or post about a team from STL area travelling out of state to play?

Reactions: missingwalter

But I would wager that organizations that already field or are related to 7 on 7 teams can pull this together with relative ease. I can see Boom and other type organizations fielding a few teams and they are probably already working on that situation should there be no football. I can see them easily pull together equipment and then play some travel games vs. others. Heck, didn't I already see a tweet or post about a team from STL area travelling out of state to play?
You see how quickly Boom and some organizations had events ready to go once the season got pushed to Spring?

Running a 7 on 7 event is not even close to the same thing as running a club league.

Did they have those events this summer in Illinois or did most of their tournaments happen out of state?
Both I think, but I remember the one poster he’ll bent on not playing in the fall and then posting how the offensive line training she works for can help during these times.

Reactions: caravan8
I only ask because if Flintstone kicks the can down the road again with another delay (but not outright cancellation) of the season, the IDPH may limit the number of people allowed to gather at events. That could be a huge hurdle to overcome

There are several "Club/Allstar" teams that play now. They allow kids up to the age of 16 and are a Soph or younger to play. We had several players play with them this fall. So expanding those teams to include upperclassmen and adding a few more teams will keep those teams from having to go to Wisconsin or Indiana every week

There are several "Club/Allstar" teams that play now. They allow kids up to the age of 16 and are a Soph or younger to play. We had several players play with them this fall. So expanding those teams to include upperclassmen and adding a few more teams will keep those teams from having to go to Wisconsin or Indiana every week
Thanks Coach! Can you provide info about teams / league?

Well, with the recent news today and a spring IHSA football season odds at about 10%, I would think Club teams have a very good chance of happening! Why not? Kids are begging to play no matter what. Insurance, Equipment, and field space is all they need and there are solutions and options for all 3. If hockey can find rinks to host club games then I’m sure football can find fields. I looked it up online and you could purchase a Ridell speed flex reconditioned helmet for $90, shoulder pads for $50, etc. You can bundle your insurance under different youth football programs or under a private High School. And I can promise you many Private HS’s will allow their fields to be used. This can happen! In my opinion, this is the best and surest option right now for boys. The best thing of all is if this can get pulled off, there is nothing Pritzger or anyone else can do to stop it! Let’s make sure the boys have a chance to play this spring!!

Reactions: ignazio
Midwest Prep Academy in Orland is on social media looking for HS seniors to play for them this Spring. Almost like a club team. How is this program immune to the Governors shutdown?

Midwest Prep Academy in Orland is on social media looking for HS seniors to play for them this Spring. Almost like a club team. How is this program immune to the Governors shutdown?
Orland Park has been wide open since June. Mayor actively ignores the guidelines. Bars, restaurants, sports have all be open for awhile.

$3500 price tag is probably pretty close to what a “club” team would have to charge to make it work.

Reactions: McCaravan
$3500 price tag is probably pretty close to what a “club” team would have to charge to make it work.
That is around the cost for a lot of team club sports. Might be different since a lot of those clubs pay the “professional” coaches they use.

Well, yes and no. You see an item about a team from the St. Louis area travelling out of state to play.
But it was the East St. Louis High School varsity football team that announced it has scheduled a game for late October 2021 against/at the Florida powerhouse football "factory" IMG. Obviously, that game is set assuming Illinois and Florida are both playing high school football this coming fall.
It is not related to the club football issue.

Anyone know much about the academic side of these all-star athlete boarding schools? Are teachers recruited as well, for example? Are multiple rigors of instruction available?

Anyone know much about the academic side of these all-star athlete boarding schools? Are teachers recruited as well, for example? Are multiple rigors of instruction available?
Are you asking if schools like IMG care about the educational side of things?

• Haha

Midwest prep is simply football and act prep class (for an additional fee). There is no school.

Reactions: McCaravan
I would never sell short a parent trying to get Jr. a scholly. 1700 for equipment < 40000 a year for college

Reactions: caravan8
That will be the issue. Assuming this plan would only be done as a way to get around the State/IHSA saying football isn't allowed, the schools aren't going to then say OK to the sport being played on their fields.
Are there football facilities outside of high schools that could be used? With basketball they are all over the place through private companies. Also, would private universities work? Or would it have to be make shift football fields on private land.

I see Hinsdale Central already boasting "Club" moniker
I heard LaGrange (LT), Wheaton South, Antioch, etc are looking into the same thing. Certain towns and programs will be able to put together Club teams, parents more then willing to pay for it. You only need 7-8 club teams in the Chicago to ensure 6+ games. Not sure how competitive some of the games will be but this can and most probably will happen. Wheels in motion and if they can get the insurance and field space there is nothing any

ADVERTISEMENT