ADVERTISEMENT

Harold “Sam” Samorian RIP

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
One of the greatest coaches ever.

This breaks my heart. Sam and the Spartans pulled maybe the biggest upsets in the history of IHSA football. Sure the win over EsL in 1974 was huge, but the 7-6 win over Evanston in the opening round may have been the biggest. Then going to East Leyden and winning there 3 days later.

Sam coached In an era of historically great coaches - Lazier, Blakey, O’Neil, Adams, Chicowski, Gillespie, Perry, Shannon and I’m sure I’m missing tons more.

Sam was an original. Nothing fake or fluff-filled.

I remember one practice where the offense had struggled: his assistant coach Walt Sherman made each member of the offense bring a yard stick to practice so they understood how simple a yard was.

2020 just sucks something awful.

One of the greatest coaches ever.

Iggy when did he pass away?

Another legend is lost to us. I knew Sam as both a football coach and as a wrestling official when I coached both those sports at Maine South. Later as athletic director at Maine South and as president of the CSL I saw yet another side of Sam. His officiating skill, professionalism and integrity was beyond reproach.I am so glad I could count him as a fellow coach and a friend.

Last edited:
Although I never had the pleasure of meeting him he appears to be a very decent man and he lived life by being straight forward and treating his fellow humans like he wanted to be treated. He appears to have mentored many on the football field and off. This man who I never met gained my respect not for what he did on the field coaching but what he did in his life. This man was married to his wife for 65 years. That my friends is a man of honor and a good husband. That to me that says more about this gentleman than anything else. May this loving man rest In peace and may his family be so proud to have had him in their life.

RIP
To my friend I never met I only hope I can follow your path.

ADVERTISEMENT