ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Test Day!

South Side CCL members better cross their fingers and hope northern Illinois keeps losing.

With lynch in place and stacking back to back dominate classes there is nothing stopping MC from going on a Dominate run for the next 4yrs.

Top talent + depth + top level coaching = MC.

Next Year NIU goes 3-8 and goes after Jordan?

Worst thing that happened to SR and BR was Lenti leaving.
Its unfortunate to say, but I really believe MC replacing Frank with Lynch is one of the best moves the school has made in a long time in regards to driving a sustainable future. Jordan had 75+ freshman out for football this year, much more than had been out in recent years.

Add on the new stadium and the renovations in the school and MC is in a great position!

Everyone needs to recruit
All assistant coaches
Administrator
Everyone

Yes, but based on his track record he's an excellent recruiter when he is 100% focused on BR.
Him not being in house now brings 2 years of a decline.

I am not being critical of him choosing to have another job to support his family. Dunn did the same at Marist, tremendous coach. They should be making more money for the time and commitment they spend.
What has changed in the past 2 years?
MC adding Lynch and Badke no longer being in house.

If BR finds away to pull in a high level class next year with the coach not in house I'll give applause to the Head Coach.

Everyone needs to recruit
All assistant coaches
Administrator
Everyone

How do MC/SR/Marist/BR differ in recruiting methods?

Do all assistant coaches from MC/SR/Marist recruit? Who has more in-house admissions employees?

I agree with Krock that it's a team-effort, but having Badke in the building would be huge. Gotta give him credit for being able to sustain a full-time job and being HC @ BR, though.

Reactions: krock the house
How do MC/SR/Marist/BR differ in recruiting methods?

Do all assistant coaches from MC/SR/Marist recruit? Who has more in-house admissions employees?

I agree with Krock that it's a team-effort, but having Badke in the building would be huge. Gotta give him credit for being able to sustain a full-time job and being HC @ BR, though.

HC @ BR should be a full time job.
BR has to find away to get Badke back in house.
Pay him more money and allow him to focus on his athletes and BR.

Otherwise a drop off in performance and numbers is on its way. The impact of him not being in house will hit 22, 23, 24 seasons.

Has their ever been a coach in the CCL Blue with a full time job outside of the school?

I cant imagine that many kids and parents are asking if a coach is in the building to make their decision. While once the kids are in there, being in house is ideal. But to think that many less tested because of that is nonsense.
Kuska is in house and no matter what they say 140 is a brutal number.
Laurence better be a wake up call to Rita and Rice. Its one thing to trail Marist and MC but chasing Laurence, that's a problem.

I cant imagine that many kids and parents are asking if a coach is in the building to make their decision. While once the kids are in there, being in house is ideal. But to think that many less tested because of that is nonsense.
Kuska is in house and no matter what they say 140 is a brutal number.
Laurence better be a wake up call to Rita and Rice. Its one thing to trail Marist and MC but chasing Laurence, that's a problem.

You're looking at it wrong. Not sure what Lynch's job consists of, but if you give Badke 160 extra hours a month, I would bet a lot of money that they have more football players testing.

You're looking at it wrong. Not sure what Lynch's job consists of, but if you give Badke 160 extra hours a month, I would bet a lot of money that they have more football players testing.

I could not of said it better. There's a trickle down effect.
And he is the head football coach.
Yes, everyone needs to recruit but when the best recruiter is off on another job what do you expect to happen.

When you give Badke 160 extra hours a month at BR he brings in excellent talent.
State Finalist type of talent.
FACT.

With the current set up they bring in mediocre 0-3 in the CCL talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oop-dee-oop_4
Coaches show up at football games and other events. Make weekly phone calls at night. Kids are in school, not much to do recruiting wise from 8-4 during the week. With technology coaches can stay in contact with each other without being in the same building.
Though I guess on shadow days be good for the kids to see the coach. Or meeting Badke might scare some off. But again to think 40 more top football players are piling in, I think not.
From what I've noticed the difference between all is age. Lynch has young kids, no travel sports to be at yet, no school events, etc. Making phone calls they all can do but physically being at multiple events is harder. And believe me that, parents notice, as goofy as that sounds.

Being in the building is obviously better than not being there but it's not like these coaches don't have other responsibilities within the school. Some may have more demands than others but nobody is focused on being the head coach and nothing else. Dawczak from Marist is in the science dept and teaches AP classes, he's not solely focused on football and calling 8th graders all day.

Coaches show up at football games and other events. Make weekly phone calls at night. Kids are in school, not much to do recruiting wise from 8-4 during the week. With technology coaches can stay in contact with each other without being in the same building.
Though I guess on shadow days be good for the kids to see the coach. Or meeting Badke might scare some off. But again to think 40 more top football players are piling in, I think not.
From what I've noticed the difference between all is age. Lynch has young kids, no travel sports to be at yet, no school events, etc. Making phone calls they all can do but physically being at multiple events is harder. And believe me that, parents notice, as goofy as that sounds.

In my opinion, even though he can't be actively recruiting during school hours due to the reason you listed, he'd still have ample time for all of the other aspects of recruiting that aren't directly contacting the kids.

I agree on regarding needing to have a presence at the games. You would think there were turf wars with the amount of local HS coaches at these 8th grade games. Being young definitely helps Lynch here.

Being in the building is obviously better than not being there but it's not like these coaches don't have other responsibilities within the school. Some may have more demands than others but nobody is focused on being the head coach and nothing else. Dawczak from Marist is in the science dept and teaches AP classes, he's not solely focused on football and calling 8th graders all day.
In my opinion, even though he can't be actively recruiting during school hours due to the reason you listed, he'd still have ample time for all of the other aspects of recruiting that aren't directly contacting the kids.

I agree on regarding needing to have a presence at the games. You would think there were turf wars with the amount of local HS coaches at these 8th grade games. Being young definitely helps Lynch here.
Yes there's no doubt being completely focused on your school would help but more to it than Badke saving the day.
Rice was down like 80 kids, that's more than just football players making a different choice than usual.

Reactions: Oop-dee-oop_4
Surprised I have not seen any of the suburban numbers. Or maybe I just missed it. How did PC, Montini, Naz, JC, etc do in raw numbers of test takers?

Yes there's no doubt being completely focused on your school would help but more to it than Badke saving the day.
Rice was down like 80 kids, that's more than just football players making a different choice than usual.

Good point.

I think a bigger overall concern is that 72 fewer boys tested at SS Catholic high schools this year compared to last year

This is the most important post in this thread, one year of 5.6% less students isn’t a big deal but this has been a trend and that should concern people a lot more then if we are getting good football players.

People are leaving the area these schools are in. So the competition isnt cps as much now. $10,000 vs a quality free school with no travel, easy decision for most.
The bulk of families that have filled these schools aren't having 5,8 kids anymore so that hurts too.
Catholic grammar schools are dieing which means the hs are gonna be hurting.

This is the most important post in this thread, one year of 5.6% less students isn’t a big deal but this has been a trend and that should concern people a lot more then if we are getting good football players.

Yes, you are spot on. As I'm reading the posts, I'm fascinated that the discussion is strictly on the enrollment as it relates to your respective football teams. The underlying red flag is less and less students taking the test annually for general enrollment. It's a negative trend that will unfortunately continue to get worse for a variety of reasons. If your very survival is at stake, I would not be shocked if consolidation talks don' t start in a few years. The alternative may be going the way of Weber, St. George and a whole host of other Catholic schools.

I could not of said it better. There's a trickle down effect.
And he is the head football coach.
Yes, everyone needs to recruit but when the best recruiter is off on another job what do you expect to happen.

When you give Badke 160 extra hours a month at BR he brings in excellent talent.
State Finalist type of talent.
FACT.

With the current set up they bring in mediocre 0-3 in the CCL talent.
Tim O’Connell is no longer the head recruiting guy and that hurt them. Fraser and Nye’s brother took over I’m told. O’C was kind of over the top but he was a relentless recruitier who did a good job and I think that played a big part.

What is Marist doing so much better then the other schools that they keep getting strong numbers? They got girls! A lot of guys like going to school with girls! Why are Laurence numbers up? They got gals! De La Salle strong numbers? GALS!

MC winning State, especially against a high powered team with a 5 Star player like Naz, really helped them, but MC also has a wrestling team ranked high in the nation with Montini that really helps them. Their baseball team is always competitive and has another MLB type guy in Ed Howard and are going back to North Carolina for that national tournament, and they have one of the better soccer teams in the state that all draws other kids in. No gals, that will never happen, but they aren’t s one trick pony with only success in one sport.

Reactions: crusaderpride
From a St. Rita point of view, they made an executive decision to go to selective enrollment, selecting 140 students out of the number tested. And from a business stand point its a sound strategy. You get to set the known operating costs, you set your teacher student ratios independent of test number fluctuations.

This is the 4th year of selective enrollment testing and the numbers from year one are 215, 200, 170, 140. And as many know here, you probably need 170 to get 140 enrolled. So, obviously the 140 is not a good number. But at least, the new President for the school is in place and new strategies can be implemented as Dr. Quaid sees fit.

St. Rita is very healthy but I think not having the administration executives in place, while not stopping the school from functioning well, may have allowed competitors to whisper vulnerabilities. Whatever the case is, the test number should be a wake up call to unify its message and direction for decades to come.

SR faces the most negative recruiting, and mostly from people affiliated with Brother Rice. St. Laurence and Marist rightfully utilize the co-ed advantages in their recruiting, though I personally do not want to see SR go co-ed.

What was D number last year for boys? They couldn't field a freshman team.

The catholic church has not done themselves any favors with their pedophile hiding.

What was D number last year for boys? They couldn't field a freshman team.

The catholic church has not done themselves any favors with their pedophile hiding.
They haven’t the past two seasons and the one three seasons ago was really bad. I just don’t think they are making football a priority and work on getting butts in the seats.

They haven’t the past two seasons and the one three seasons ago was really bad. I just don’t think they are making football a priority and work on getting butts in the seats.

For what it is worth, there are a number of kids wearing DeLaSalle school uniforms getting off at the Metra Rock Island 35th Street stop in the morning and getting on the outbound train in the afternoon.

For what it is worth, there are a number of kids wearing DeLaSalle school uniforms getting off at the Metra Rock Island 35th Street stop in the morning and getting on the outbound train in the afternoon.
Absolutely. Didn’t mean to say they weren’t getting kids but for the purpose of this board I don’t think they are really targeting football programs to bolster their enrollment

Reactions: crusaderpride
South Side CCL members better cross their fingers and hope northern Illinois keeps losing.

With lynch in place and stacking back to back dominate classes there is nothing stopping MC from going on a Dominate run for the next 4yrs.

Top talent, depth, top level coaching = MC.

Next Year NIU goes 3-8 and goes after Jordan?

Worst thing that happened to SR and BR was Lenti leaving.
Please learn how to use the words:
Dominate-
Domination-
Dominating-
Thank you.

I believe he meant Dominant, but surprisingly that's not one of your choices. Oops!

I have a spelling/grammar/auto-correct program that works a lot like you.
:D:D:D
Yep, that’s another one.
Dominating also works.

Marist - girls
SR - better tradition
MC - more winning
What was the difference last year
When rice out tested everyone.
it goes in waves, but rice is just fine and always will be.
Girls.... can’t touch it
Tradition ...come on brother
MC...for now

Surprised I have not seen any of the suburban numbers. Or maybe I just missed it. How did PC, Montini, Naz, JC, etc do in raw numbers of test takers?

The measuring of “wangers” by comparing testing numbers appears to be a “uniquely southside CCL thing.” The manner in which they get and circulate these numbers in an almost “live” manner as kids appear Saturday morning of testing day is quite interesting.... in the way pathetic things can be interesting.

What was the difference last year
When rice out tested everyone.
it goes in waves, but rice is just fine and always will be.
Girls.... can’t touch it
Tradition ...come on brother
MC...for now
When do you predict Rice will be winning more than MC?

Absolutely. Didn’t mean to say they weren’t getting kids but for the purpose of this board I don’t think they are really targeting football programs to bolster their enrollment

I would concur.
Most of the guys do not appear to be athletes.
There are a number girls doing the commute as well.

Following a State Finals and Semi Final.

Us BR fans better enjoy the next 2 seasons.

How much money needs to be raised to get Badke back in-house?

I’m not sure what you could do to bring him back in house, at least not in the role he was in before. That’s a high pressure job in a good economy. To add coaching to that = burnout.

Rice made some good changes where bringing in a new president is concerned. But they need to retool their approach to recruiting. It’s great that they’re reaching out to other areas, but they need to hit their base more.

No reason they should have less than 10 kids from a place like HR or Fisher.

Reactions: Gene K.

It’s definitely a young man’s game. Lynch has the energy and is really just a few years removed from being in their shoes and having to make the same choice. He’s given 110% to getting out there and making himself available to kids and it’s paying off.

ADVERTISEMENT