ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Memorial Day...

Lord help us. NEVER say "Happy Memorial Day." There is nothing "happy" about it. It is a melancholy day of remembrance. I understand your message, but don't like the title.
At first I was offended by your message (i do however respect your opinion), but then I did some research. I found a few Memorial Day messages without the "Happy", but there was an abundant amount of messages with it.
You should be VERY busy today sending out emails to all who used the word "Happy" yesterday.

At first I was offended by your message (i do however respect your opinion), but then I did some research. I found a few Memorial Day messages without the "Happy", but there was an abundant amount of messages with it.
You should be VERY busy today sending out emails to all who used the word "Happy" yesterday.
Long post coming.
The reason I said what I said is because it's true. Unfortunately, most people have been conditioned to think of any holiday as being happy, even when it really isn't. Look around. Starting on Friday, all the news stations I saw had segments about "grilling season" starting this week end. Sure, they had their Memorial Day stuff too. But, in my opinion, anyone who uses that day as another excuse just to cook out and get drunk and say "Happy Memorial Day," is clueless. But, I guess the people who lost their lives did so, so these people could say "Happy Memorial Day," like morons.

The reason I jumped on that and always will, is because I have family who have served and some who died too. A family member, who is currently serving, posted on facebook Sunday, a thought asking people not to say "Happy Memorial Day." He was right in what he said. But, the thought of saying "Happy memorial Day" that never occurred to me anyway and never has. Whether I had family in the service or not doesn't matter. I'd still think the same way.

In-between my posts I reached out to a good friend on the phone, who is now 66 and saw heavy combat on Vietnam. He is now the only surviving member of his platoon. Many were killed and of the 11 others who were left, they all died of cancer, from what he thinks Agent Orange was a contributing factor. We talked for about 20 minutes about that. He said he sees no happiness in Memorial Day and does hear it expressed that way. His reasoning for why people say it that way, I outlined above. He said, in that war, they were doing what they thought was right, at the time. Now? He has no trust in the government. He also said he really doesn't want people to say thank you. Just a nod is good enough.

There were a few guys in our neighborhood when I was a kid who were friends of my older siblings, who went off to Vietnam too. A couple of them didn't come back.

It is a shame that some people really don't know or care what the meaning of that holiday really is. But that's where we are in this country with some folks.

Sorry if I came off a little harsh for you, but this is important to me. All I am asking you and anyone else to do is this. Next year when Memorial Day comes around, just stop and think before you say that or make any post saying that. Think about what the day really means first.

ADVERTISEMENT