ADVERTISEMENT

Grass Field Stadiums and Practice Fields

McCaravan

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
What do you think the plans will be for February practices at places with grass playing and practice fields? If the winter is a rough one like they normally are...it’s expensive and time consuming to keep them clear. Most Freshman and JV teams practice on grass....I’m thinking Freshman may have to practice in the early morning on the main turf field and Varsity/JV split the field after school. Lot of logistics to figure out here

Reactions: Luca_Brasi
What do you think the plans will be for February practices at places with grass playing and practice fields? If the winter is a rough one like they normally are...it’s expensive and time consuming to keep them clear. Most Freshman and JV teams practice on grass....I’m thinking Freshman may have to practice in the early morning on the main turf field and Varsity/JV split the field after school. Lot of logistics to figure out here
Most frosh and a lot of jv players can't make early morning practices due to lack of transportation

The whole FVC besides Huntley has grass. Do they work with Huntley and maybe Barrington to use their fields for games?

I would imagine Glenbard West will work with the other Glenbard schools for varsity games and the park district for practices and lower level games. Other issue is darkness. Think it still is dark before 5:00 in February

Schools with grass that share the stadium between football & soccer many not have much of a field left after March & April football & then girls soccer...

Reactions: Gene K.
Most frosh and a lot of jv players can't make early morning practices due to lack of transportation

Plus, it doesn't get light enough to practice without lights until around 7 am in mid February in the Chicago area. Starting in the morning wouldn't give them much time for practice until the school day begins.

Reactions: PowerI66
Plus, it doesn't get light enough to practice without lights until around 7 am in mid February in the Chicago area. Starting in the morning wouldn't give them much time for practice until the school day begins.
True. And usually the neighbors aren't too happy about the lights being on

I can not see many early morning practices outside in February or March when it is even more miserable. And if they do have them it will have to be varsity as those kids drive.

Reactions: Panthers1211
Schools with grass that share the stadium between football & soccer many not have much of a field left after March & April football & then girls soccer...

Girls soccer is moving to summer. Boys soccer and football will be played concurrently in the spring.

Also, let's remember to include lacrosse. Boys and girls lacrosse are also being moved to the summer season.

Imagine the condition of those natural grass fields (game and practice) after being utilized for football, boys and girls soccer, and boys and girls lacrosse five or six days a week every week from Feb 15 through June 26. Throw in those handful of schools that play spring rugby just for sh!ts and g!ggles.

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
And remember on January 31, 2019 we had -23. An anomaly but we’ll probably see a lot of indoor practice before the games start.

ICE fans...does football going to spring give Reed Custer an advantage because they have the fieldhouse where they could practice inside instead of on the grass in the dregs of February weather?...How about other schools which have not only a gym, but a fieldhouse with indoor track?

One half of football on a grass field in March and the field will be unplayable Same for practice fields

I would imagine Glenbard West will work with the other Glenbard schools for varsity games and the park district for practices and lower level games. Other issue is darkness. Think it still is dark before 5:00 in February
My first thought to this question was "Only Glenbard and Proviso have to worry about this in WSS". In all sportsmanship, I hope figuring out field time is a major pain in the butt for GW and becomes a major disruption. But I'm sure it won't.

Why won’t they just use the Memorial Park for practice? It’s at the school and has turf and lights, Varsity takes half the field and the lower levels split the other half of the field. It’s not ideal but workable as for the field it’s only going to be 5-6 games max so the field will get tore up but if they don’t practice on it they will be fine.

That could work but chances of that one bad weather week seem higher in March than September/October. All it takes is one and the field will be done. If there are no fans they could play games at Memorial so then there would be no problem. All teams with a grass stadium field would be in the same boat. It will be interesting for all involved as snow is still a factor in February and March so could lead to some wild conditions.

Reactions: Gene K.
All.... Has the Ihsa updated that fans won't be allowed into games? Or like much of what is going on that decision will be made shortly before the football "season" starts.

I recall they did put out it can be only 20% of stadium capacity. Ratsy

That could work but chances of that one bad weather week seem higher in March than September/October. All it takes is one and the field will be done. If there are no fans they could play games at Memorial so then there would be no problem. All teams with a grass stadium field would be in the same boat. It will be interesting for all involved as snow is still a factor in February and March so could lead to some wild conditions.

Maybe you will get this in early April.

165214_574912032530313_1508782211_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT