ADVERTISEMENT

Granite City Leaves SWC Over Security Concerns

Going Independant while looking for a new conference affiliation? Sounds like they didn't think that through very well or the metal detectors thing trumped all other considerations.

I know where they can get 5 non conference games - remains of the DVC! Schedule it now GC!!

You're an average at best 7A school with no other competition besides the SWC and you split? Good lord.

They are hoping to continue to play some SWC schools in sports, But I don't see that happening in football because of the playoff points.

Going Independant while looking for a new conference affiliation? Sounds like they didn't think that through very well or the metal detectors thing trumped all other considerations.

I know where they can get 5 non conference games - remains of the DVC! Schedule it now GC!!

Assuming their reason for leaving is genuine -- concern for the team's safety and lack of proper security measures by your opponents -- then I'd say it's been thought through very well.

There are times to be exceedingly slow and deliberate, but if you are concerned that an opposing fanbase was able to get a gun into the stands and potentially gun down some of your players and coaches, I'd think "immediate pullout, figure out the schedule later" is as logical as you can be.

But again I'm not knowledgeable of the specifics here so if that situation was overblown and they are using it as a copout to bolt, then I retract my statement.

Periodically I find myself in the stands at various HS venues that are in need of more security than others. I see some of these "rent-a-cop" agencies employ less-than-formidable individuals working at low wage. However, one of the biggest problems is how few of the security personnel are deployed in a position to supervise within the student sections of the bleachers. So often the filthy and loud language is non-stop along with the horseplay plus constant leaving of seats with blocking of aisles. Security is frequently in no area to detect an incident along with little capacity to reach it through crowds from so far away.

Reactions: Gene K.
Assuming their reason for leaving is genuine -- concern for the team's safety and lack of proper security measures by your opponents -- then I'd say it's been thought through very well.

There are times to be exceedingly slow and deliberate, but if you are concerned that an opposing fanbase was able to get a gun into the stands and potentially gun down some of your players and coaches, I'd think "immediate pullout, figure out the schedule later" is as logical as you can be.

But again I'm not knowledgeable of the specifics here so if that situation was overblown and they are using it as a copout to bolt, then I retract my statement.

There has never been an incident inside the gym of any SWC schools that involved a gun. There hasn't been a physical altercation of any kind at a game in 10 plus years. I will also add that ESL has metal detectors which is the school they were concern with the most. The other school didn't feel the need to put their fans through that simply because GC wanted to "make an example".
The truth is GC was benefiting from Madison (neighboring mostly black school) not having a football team which forced most family to move into GC to get the full high school experience. Madison will field a football team for the first time in about 20 years or so. This will make it more difficult for GC to compete. I honestly don't blame GC for wanting to leave however I think its a coward act to hide behind something other than competition.

There are cops at every High school football game I have watched. I personally think that is plenty of security and deterrence, but that is just my opinion. I think LHS might be on to something regardIng possible secondary motives for the decision. At any rate, their decision to make. Good luck finding 9 non con games unless you want to play the Naperville's and D204's for 5 of your 9.

There has never been an incident inside the gym of any SWC schools that involved a gun. There hasn't been a physical altercation of any kind at a game in 10 plus years. I will also add that ESL has metal detectors which is the school they were concern with the most. The other school didn't feel the need to put their fans through that simply because GC wanted to "make an example".
The truth is GC was benefiting from Madison (neighboring mostly black school) not having a football team which forced most family to move into GC to get the full high school experience. Madison will field a football team for the first time in about 20 years or so. This will make it more difficult for GC to compete. I honestly don't blame GC for wanting to leave however I think its a coward act to hide behind something other than competition.[/QUOTE

My thought exactly GC cannot compete in SWC and was simply looking for a way out. Best of luck to GC

There are cops at every High school football game I have watched. I personally think that is plenty of security and deterrence, but that is just my opinion.
Don't you find law enforcement usually positioned in the gate area and in view of the parking lot only? Logically, that is a good spot for an officer, but other stadium locations need sound supervision, particularly in a volatile zone like the stands.

There are cops at every High school football game I have watched. I personally think that is plenty of security and deterrence, but that is just my opinion. I think LHS might be on to something regardIng possible secondary motives for the decision. At any rate, their decision to make. Good luck finding 9 non con games unless you want to play the Naperville's and D204's for 5 of your 9.
Belleville Althoff played Tinley Park Andrew in 1993 at Champaigns Memorial Stadium as a result of Joliet merging campuses leaving a hole in the Bolts schedule

Taken for another board:

My wife teaches in Granite City and this cry about safety in ESTL is the biggest bunch of (bleep); they have issues with safety everyday in the junior high and high school in Granite that don't make the press - I don't understand why they threw ESTL under the bus when it didn't seem to bother any other schools.

Truth be told GC is tired of getting their (donkey)(bleep) whipped in every conference sport. The district is sliding downhill rapidly and families with decent athletes are moving to Edwardsville and O'Fallon. The coaches in GC are livid that they're leaving the conference; what other conference options do they have as the school is too large for any other Metro-East conferences? Just a very poor decision.

ADVERTISEMENT