ADVERTISEMENT

Gotta love Texas

That's great for those kids who put in a lot of work to get there. Amazing amount of SUPPORT for those kids!

I'm happy for the schools and their fans. The size of the crowds correlates with the size of their passion for the game.

A lot of factors can attribute to the loss of High School football followers/fans. In the 30’s and 40’s HS was the last world of academics most ever experienced. A million other factors have made the Prep Bowl a shell of the past. Texas loves HS football.

There is a nice Illinois connection to this story. James Williams, the head coach of Marshall High School, that just played for the 5A Division II Texas state championship is an H-F and U of I alum.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Texas loves HS football.
I saw this first-hand 50 years ago and suspect it started long before that time. Texas HS FB players dominated the rosters of the 7 universities from the Lone Star State who, along with out-of-stater U of Arkansas, made up the competitive Southwest Conference.

Three factors fodr those huge City Championship games back then:

1. Prep football was a neighborhood thing and was very popular. (Note the Public League was very strong).

2. It was the only championship game people could afford.

3. Most importantly, employees of the Park District (and there were many, many thousands -- both regular and seasonal) had to buy ten tickets each .. and distribute them to people likely to attend. Check out the book, "Soldier Field - a Stadium and it's City" by Liam T. A. Ford. Many libraries have it (I know it's available at the Cook Library in Libertyvillle.) It covers all the great events held there, and explains the huge attendance marks for prep football.

Reactions: EdgyTim
Years ago I went to the state semi-final game at the old Texas Stadium and they announced the crowd at over 40K..

Check out the book, "Soldier Field - a Stadium and it's City" by Liam T. A. Ford. Many libraries have it (I know it's available at the Cook Library in Libertyvillle.) It covers all the great events held there, and explains the huge attendance marks for prep football.
Great reading reference. It should surely contain info about the old College All-Stars game vs the NFL Champion that was held in the late summer at Soldier Field from the mid '30s through the mid '70s. It was not a pricey ticket for the chance to conveniently see many elite players from both levels.

Reactions: Gene K.
Great reading reference. It should surely contain info about the old College All-Stars game vs the NFL Champion that was held in the late summer at Soldier Field from the mid '30s through the mid '70s. It was not a pricey ticket for the chance to conveniently see many elite players from both levels.
"College All-Stars game vs the NFL Champion" if I remember these games does that mean I'm getting old? :)

Yes, it does. I attended several of them as a boy. Late, I was drenched at the very last All Star Game in 1976. It rained so hard they cancelled the game in the 2nd (or 3rd) quarter. The rain washed off the "weatherproofing" on my wind breaker and my feet were dyed blue from my wet socks.

Reactions: HRCJR and Gene K.
Yes, it does. I attended several of them as a boy. Late, I was drenched at the very last All Star Game in 1976. It rained so hard they cancelled the game in the 2nd (or 3rd) quarter. The rain washed off the "weatherproofing" on my wind breaker and my feet were dyed blue from my wet socks.
I was there as a 12 year old. Rain was amazing

ADVERTISEMENT