ADVERTISEMENT

Good game Mount Carmel

Never has one man made a difference in a team sport. By the way his mom said she has not made up her mind yet he may go to Althoff

Exactly. Never does one player make all THE difference.

Also, he goes to Central Jr. High in Belleville and I think the article mentioned that he lives in Belleville West's District. So his choices should be West or Althoff or any other Private school in the STL right? His mom said his academics are his number one priority so I would think ESL prob won't get him. Not a knock on ESL per say, but if what she said is true, his home school, Althoff and the numerous other Private school choices they have are much, much better options in terms of academics. The kid has already gotten attention nationally so he doesn't "need" to go to ESL to be recruited. He will shine wherever he goes. The question, since his parents attended ESL schools when they were kids (the article mentioned), is whether they want their son to Play for ESL to help them win a bunch of games and possibly a few shots at another State Championship.

If they don't get Jaylon though, they still have a ton of talent coming in.

They also have another really good WR that I think lives in O'Fallon. His dad has already made it known he's going to ESL in the paper and on social media. Not sure how that works, but his pops is coach on the team so maybe there is a special rule the IHSA has where coaches can bring their sons with them? I'm not sure.

There are also two lineman, one from Tower Grove Christian Academy over in St. Louis and one from Belle Valley in Belleville that are both massive kids. One is 6'1 300 plus and the other like 6'2 275 as 8th graders.

That's really just the tip of the iceberg too. Word is that Mookie Cooper and a bunch of the Trinity kids are Transferring to ESL next season because they don't want to start over with a new QB after that I. Williams kid moves on. They already know T. Macon (ESL's QB) because he was the top youth league player in North County for years and was enrolled at Trinity his freshman year.

That game vs Trinity this year wasn't a good idea for Trinity. They lost a close one and now some of their coaches are scrambling to win a State Title in MO, and then to keep numerous division one prospects from fleeing across the River to ESL>
No matter what happens, ESL will restock the cupboard, reload and be back that's for sure.

EDIT:
The person that started this thread stated that the Flyers would be back IF they GOT Jaylon Mckenzie.

Another poster asked who that was and was given the link to a story in the newspaper where his mother states that they haven't decided where he will go to school yet and that "academics are his priority."

A different poster stated that he isn't a lock to go to ESL and that he could go to Althoff.

This is before I posted anything, so it's not like I'm being random or anything by bringing up the fact that his family and him are weighing his options and where they feel he can be provided the best education is their priority. That is literally stated by his mother.

Nowhere in this post do I say that ESL High school is incapable of providing an education to it's students. That is a straw man if I've ever seen one.

I said that if his academics truly are his priority then ESL prob wouldn't get him. I stand by that opinion.

I literally said:

"Not a knock on ESL per say, but if what she said is true, his home school, Althoff and the numerous other Private school choices they have are much, much better options in terms of academics."

There is nothing to debate about about the above bold message. You say that my post contains a lot of "info" of which a lot is debatable, then you choose the one thing that is 100 percent NOT debatable and proceed to lay out an argument against something that was never said. Hilarious.

Are you going to argue that ESL High School is a better high school academically than his "home school" (Belleville West) or Althoff or "any of the numerous Private schools" in the area. Desmet? CBC? SLUH? MICDS? Chiminaide? Lutheran North? etc etc. Really? I suspect that isn't your argument and you misread my original comment as some kind of attack on ESL. It wasn't. I'm only stating the facts about his options. Period. For some reason those facts didn't sit well with you.

If your only point is that ESL can and does produce students that do well academically at the next level, well then I agree with you, and I never said anything to that disputes that.

If you are trying to argue that ESL is in any way shape or form competitive academically with schools that I mentioned above then all I can say is that you are delusional. There is not one shred of evidence that backs that up. (Anecdotal one off comparisons aside.)

All of that said I predict they do get this kid as ESL next year

Last edited:

Also, he goes to Central Jr. High in Belleville and I think the article mentioned that he lives in Belleville West's District. So his choices should be West or Althoff or any other Private school in the STL right? His mom said his academics are his number one priority so I would think ESL prob won't get him. Not a knock on ESL per say, but if what she said is true, his home school, Althoff and the numerous other Private school choices they have are much, much better options in terms of academics. The kid has already gotten attention nationally so he doesn't "need" to go to ESL to be recruited. He will shine wherever he goes. The question, since his parents attended ESL schools when they were kids (the article mentioned), is whether they want their son to Play for ESL to help them win a bunch of games and possibly a few shots at another State Championship.

They also have another really good WR that I think lives in O'Fallon. His dad has already made it known he's going to ESL in the paper and on social media. Not sure how that works, but his pops is coach on the team so maybe there is a special rule the IHSA has where coaches can bring their sons with them? I'm not sure.

There are also two lineman, one from Tower Grove Christian Academy over in St. Louis and one from Belle Valley in Belleville that are both massive kids. One is 6'1 300 plus and the other like 6'2 275 as 8th graders.

That's really just the tip of the iceberg too. Word is that Mookie Cooper and a bunch of the Trinity kids are Transferring to ESL next season because they don't want to start over with a new QB after that I. Williams kid moves on. They already know T. Macon (ESL's QB) because he was the top youth league player in North County for years and was enrolled at Trinity his freshman year.

That game vs Trinity this year wasn't a good idea for Trinity. They lost a close one and now some of their coaches are scrambling to win a State Title in MO, and then to keep numerous division one prospects from fleeing across the River to ESL>
No matter what happens, ESL will restock the cupboard, reload and be back that's for sure.

Awesome post Cover1.
Thanks for the keen insight.

All.... I believe I read somewhere that the conference the Flyers are in is not going to allow the school to petition up anymore? If that's true 5A better get ready. Ratsy

Reactions: crusader_of_90

First off congrats to MC on a great win. Your kids wanted it more and it showed. 3 turnover to zero will cost you a ball game to a good team on any level. Great football teams capitalize on those type of mistakes.

Cover 1 that is a lot of information in which some of it is debatable. What’s not debateable is the education coment that is just flat out not true. Especially for athletes. My example will be Ford from Althoff was at U of I with Hawthorne from ESL. Hawthorne was never academically ineligible where as Ford had to miss a season from being academically ineligible. That being said I don’t agree that if anyone send their kids to ESL it is only an athletic decision. ESL currently have several kids playing at Illinois, Mizzou, Minnesota, Miami, SIUC and Illinois State plus more and NONE of them have ever been academically ineligible. Whether a kid go to ESL or not is a parents decision but to claim that ESL can’t prepare you is flat out BS and a Lie.

Back to the topic, MC is a good team and can win it all. Good luck to them moving forward!

First off congrats to MC on a great win. Your kids wanted it more and it showed. 3 turnover to zero will cost you a ball game to a good team on any level. Great football teams capitalize on those type of mistakes.

Cover 1 that is a lot of information in which some of it is debatable. What’s not debateable is the education coment that is just flat out not true. Especially for athletes. My example will be Ford from Althoff was at U of I with Hawthorne from ESL. Hawthorne was never academically ineligible where as Ford had to miss a season from being academically ineligible. That being said I don’t agree that if anyone send their kids to ESL it is only an athletic decision. ESL currently have several kids playing at Illinois, Mizzou, Minnesota, Miami, SIUC and Illinois State plus more and NONE of them have ever been academically ineligible. Whether a kid go to ESL or not is a parents decision but to claim that ESL can’t prepare you is flat out BS and a Lie.

Back to the topic, MC is a good team and can win it all. Good luck to them moving forward!
Well said

Shall we really compare undergrad academic achievements of D1 kids form Althoff and ESL?

This thread is about MC’s advancement to the semi finals again after playing a good football game and being the better team.

Shall we really compare undergrad academic achievements of D1 kids form Althoff and ESL?

This thread is about MC’s advancement to the semi finals again after playing a good football game and being the better team.

I have no interest in going back and forth about it. How you felt reading that true example is the way I feel every time someone make an attempt to bring something negative towards ESL. I agree this thread is about MC winning and moving on. Not sure why there is a need to bring up ESL. The game was played and won on the field.

The narrative about you can’t get an Educatiin in ESL is horse poop and it’s crazy that some feel the need to mention it. Especially on a football board.

I have no desire to take anymore shine from the MC victory last night. I apologize for even responding.

Is this high school?

EDIT:
The person that started this thread stated that the Flyers would be back IF they GOT Jaylon Mckenzie.

Another poster asked who that was and was given the link to a story in the newspaper where his mother states that they haven't decided where he will go to school yet and that "academics are his priority."

A different poster stated that he isn't a lock to go to ESL and that he could go to Althoff.

This is before I posted anything, so it's not like I'm being random or anything by bringing up the fact that his family and him are weighing his options and where they feel he can be provided the best education is their priority. That is literally stated by his mother.

Nowhere in this post do I say that ESL High school is incapable of providing an education to it's students. That is a straw man if I've ever seen one.

I said that if his academics truly are his priority then ESL prob wouldn't get him. I stand by that opinion.

I literally said:

"Not a knock on ESL per say, but if what she said is true, his home school, Althoff and the numerous other Private school choices they have are much, much better options in terms of academics."

There is nothing to debate about about the above bold message. You say that my post contains a lot of "info" of which a lot is debatable, then you choose the one thing that is 100 percent NOT debatable and proceed to lay out an argument against something that was never said. Hilarious.

Are you going to argue that ESL High School is a better high school academically than his "home school" (Belleville West) or Althoff or "any of the numerous Private schools" in the area. Desmet? CBC? SLUH? MICDS? Chiminaide? Lutheran North? etc etc. Really? I suspect that isn't your argument and you misread my original comment as some kind of attack on ESL. It wasn't. I'm only stating the facts about his options. Period. For some reason those facts didn't sit well with you.

If your only point is that ESL can and does produce students that do well academically at the next level, well then I agree with you, and I never said anything to that disputes that.

If you are trying to argue that ESL is in any way shape or form competitive academically with schools that I mentioned above then all I can say is that you are delusional. There is not one shred of evidence that backs that up. (Anecdotal one off comparisons aside.)

All of that said I predict they do get this kid as ESL next year

Damn!

ADVERTISEMENT