ADVERTISEMENT

Go White Sox!!!

They are saying Eloy was a decoy and unavailable yesterday. Had he PH, I'd be all over Ricky for that too. I get that Collins is a Lefty bat and a righty was on the mound, but there was no reason to not use McCann. (Collins would be the emergency catcher, so they can't fall back on saving McCann just in case).

Reactions: caravan8
Both McCann & Eloy we’re available to PH in the 7th. Gotta like their chances more than Collins. Cease pitching an inning was a poor move, but I assume he’d be available to pitch some today if needed.
All hands on deck today for this game. As much as I don’t condone it, pull a Bud Kilmer and shoot Eloy up with something and get him out there even if it’s just as a DH today.
I agree. but a healthy Eloy isn't good in left so don't need him hurt out there. DH him

First of all, everyone has to be available, including pitchers. They are trying to get to the next round.

Second, the Sox lost that game yesterday in the first few innings. Madigral's error in the 1st inning was crushing. I know errors are part of the game but, in the playoffs that play HAS to be made. You could see right away Keuchel was struggling with his location. If the Sox get that last out, Oakland gets no runs and it's a different game. It certainly woke the A's up. No doubt, Keuchel got hit hard. But plays in the field have to be made.

Then Madigral made a key baserunning mistake which cost the Sox a run. You can't be doing that stuff at any time during the season, but especially not in the playoffs. And I laugh when I see and read people saying it was a rookie mistake. Bullsh*t. I have seen guys in high school with a better knowledge of baserunning. He should have been taught the proper way to run bases in the minor leagues. And he probably was.

During the short season the Sox were 6th in pitching and 6th in hitting in all of MLB. And they were in the bottom half in fielding. Stupid baserunning mistakes should be another stat. It would be an interesting one.

Reactions: USD24
Eloy isn't good in LF, but would be serviceable. The issue is he can't tie his shoes without hurting something, so they need to do something to limit the amount of chances he has to tie his shoes....

Collins batting yesterday made no sense at all. I just add it to the list of reasons I hope they fire Renteria whenever this season ends.

Madrigal's baserunning is horrible. Has been all season.

Reactions: caravan8 and USD24
The best thing I read all day yesterday:

"For a guy that does all the little things right, Madrigal sure does F up a lot of little things"

I sure hope the kid Crochet isn’t looking at Tommy John. They hinted when he mentioned forearm stiffness. Although a kid that age throwing that hard is most likely destined for it.

I am a White Sox fan, but let's look at some things honestly. The White Sox are not really a playoff team. The only reason they went to post season play is because of the shortened season and the expanded format. If 15 to 20 more games were played they wouldn't have made the playoffs. And if this was a 162 game season at the 63 game point, they would be in a June swoon. They simply don't have enough pitching and don't play enough defense. This makes me wish this had been a 162 game season and they were at the 63 game mark. That way we would really see what this team is made of with 99 games left.

I have said it and said it. Rick Renteria is not going to take this team to a championship. The Cubs knew something the White Sox organization doesn't get. I have no idea how Don Cooper has a job at the big league level. He is the most overrated pitching coach I have ever seen. How many arms do you have to damage and wreck before the organization decides to go another route? How many in game miscues do these two have to make before they are replaced? Reinsdorf is loyal to a fault with his personnel.

Joe Abreu...I know you can't come through every time. But he left the bases loaded twice yesterday. Somehow you have to come through at least once. That's what he's getting paid for. But what really ticked me off about him was when he loafed down the line when he hit into that inning ending double-play. No excuse for that. You never know where that relay throw is going. I sent a text to my son at that point saying, "the Sox are done."

I completely agree that Ricky is not the manager to win you a championship. He’s gotten this team as far as he can, time to move on. Try and get someone like Matheny or if not, beg Visquel to come back.
Make Coop a team ambassador and go out and get the top pitching coach in the Indians minor league system. They have developed pitching talent the last few years and that’s where it starts.
Re-sign McCann if possible. Let Encarnación walk. Get another OF and another front end starting pitcher and bring Kopech back into the mix. Keep Foster, Cordero, Colome, Heuer, Bummer, Marshall in the bullpen and build around them.
MRI for Crochet this week so we will know if he’s having TJ or not.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Doesn't sound like McCann is coming back. I agree with you here too. I have been wondering something for the past couple months. Did Kopech really opt out because of Covid or is there a little arm issue? I have a hunch it could be the latter. No way to prove it but it's just a hunch.

That Crochet thing really has me aggravated. My son and I saw Kopech's debut. I saw him throw the first few pitches and told my son he is overthrowing badly and someone needs to settle him down. He was just about to say the same thing to me. I could understand why he was doing it. By why wasn't he instructed to warm up slower and throw more pitches in the pen to throw that edge off a little more before taking the game mound?

I believe Kopech had a ton going on outside of baseball and unfortunately wasn’t able to focus on the baseball. His wife being pregnant, then him filing for divorce seems to point to personal problems causing his opt out.
There were many positives this season, and every pitch and at bat that occurred during the playoffs was important to the continued growth and development of the players. This team appears to be at the onset of a 4-5 year window to win a World Series... don’t waste another year in that window with a manager we all know can’t get you to that final goal.

Reactions: Gene K.
Come on, Jose, a bloop single would have done it.

I like McCann, who should have hit for Collins.

Divorced within a month of having married. Won't be thinking baseball for a while.
People get divorced every day and don't leave their jobs for six months. Something else is going on.

Reactions: sporthog9er
Yes, but not many people get divorced a month after they get married. I don't want to get into the gossip, but there had to be a good reason that messed with his head.
Well, it seems to me that if anyone gets a divorce one month after getting married, then maybe they shouldn't have gotten married in the first place. But what do I know about marriage? I've only been married 37 years and only once.

Here is some useless information. Mickey Rooney was married eight times. That number alone should make your head spin. His final marriage lasted 34 years...longer than the other seven combined. I guess it just took him a while and several tries to get it right. Although he did end up separated from the final one until his death.

Reactions: Gene K.
There may be a lesson to be learned from you, Kopech, and Mickey Rooney, but I'll be damned if I know what it is. I was engaged three times to the same girl, and I don't know what happened there either.
Very interesting. There is no single way of doing things that works for everyone. I will try to make this as short as possible.

I dated a girl in college in my freshman year. A little over three years later we became engaged in June 1981 but didn't set a date right away. Time went by and I became unsure about it. We finally set a date of April 1983. We went to the day long Catholic religion seminar about marriage, etc. in the fall of 1982. Church was set up and the invitations were printed shortly afterward. Then in December of 1982 I met my future wife. I knew who she was but never actually met her.

In less than 24 hours I broke off the engagement. I had spent nearly five years with my girlfriend, but ended it abruptly. I dated my new girlfriend for only six months before we were married. We had to go to a different Catholic church to get married because the pastor of my church wouldn't perform the ceremony. His thinking was, we didn't know each other long enough.

We ended up getting married in a formal ceremony at the new church, had the reception, etc. in June 1983. And here we are 37 years later. Sometimes you just know. Over the years a whole bunch of my friends who knew each other longer, ended up in divorce court. My way doesn't work for everyone and the odds were probably stacked against us.

A final note. Maybe five years ago or so, my wife asked me if I would ever get married again if something happened to her. I told her I didn't even want to think about something like that. Then I asked her the same question and she said NO emphatically. She said she was never getting married again. I guess one of us has gotten more out of the marriage than the other. LOL. 😂 😂

ADVERTISEMENT