ADVERTISEMENT

Funniest thing you have seen happen at a high school game

Sparty Jones

Oct 28, 2004
We were playing a game in a torrential downpour at Highland Park years ago and our ballboy brought out a new ball after each play. One time he tripped and fell in a puddle on the field and was completely submerged. He was fine and the coaches had a good laugh.

What was the funniest thing you have seen happen at a high school football game?

Not football but we had a bull in left field during a baseball game. One kid’s dad ran out there to shoe it off. Also had a flock of sheep grazing on our football practice field.

We were playing a game in a torrential downpour at Highland Park years ago and our ballboy brought out a new ball after each play. One time he tripped and fell in a puddle on the field and was completely submerged. He was fine and the coaches had a good laugh.

What was the funniest thing you have seen happen at a high school football game?
A lot of rain that day Sparty! That's for sure.

25 or more years ago it was fashionable to put your big defensive tackle in the backfield as a blocking back. Then as time went on you would give him the ball on a dive play a la William Perry and the 85 Bears.
Well, we were facing a tough 3rd and 3 so we gave the big boy the ball. He went for 4 yards. But, his pants only went for 2!

Not so funny, but notable: We have all seen the banners that the home team may charge through before a game. So this particular banner is located in a busy, sideline area outside the end zone, not in a high-visibility location. You can see it coming, too - an amped up wave of players blast through the paper and take out a cheerleader who had wandered to the wrong place at precisely the wrong time. Luckily, it was right in front of the ambulance who attended to her before whisking the girl away.

A few years back one of the teams had a girl on it who spent a good amount of time playing. After one kickoff there was a little scrum near the end of the play. As I'm approaching the area I hear "You Mother F*&^%$r "

I said to the opposing team
"I just didn't hear what I thought I heard"
Followed by
"yes sir and that is no way for a lady to talk"

A few years back one of the teams had a girl on it who spent a good amount of time playing. After one kickoff there was a little scrum near the end of the play. As I'm approaching the area I hear "You Mother F*&^%$r "

I said to the opposing team
"I just didn't hear what I thought I heard"
Followed by
"yes sir and that is no way for a lady to talk"
Hillary Clinton- Maine South?

At Warren many many years ago they had a streaker during halftime. One of our sophomore coaches ran him down and dropped him.
We had a streaker too when I played at Naz. He got away though. Funny thing was we were playing Lutheran South (100% African American), and Monday in School The Nun I had for homeroom said all the sisters said that it must have been someone from LS because he had a Red Shirt over his head to hide his identity. Naz was 99.9% White at the time and so was the streaker.

We had a streaker too when I played at Naz. He got away though. Funny thing was we were playing Lutheran South (100% African American), and Monday in School The Nun I had for homeroom said all the sisters said that it must have been someone from LS because he had a Red Shirt over his head to hide his identity. Naz was 99.9% White at the time and so was the streaker.
Worst kept secret in Naz history.

Palatine Fremd had a streaker ... dude was tackled by police - RIGHT IN FRONT OF A GROUP OF GRADE SCHOOL GIRLS ... mine were shocked.

Same game - water balloon launching from the neighborhood - never caught those culprits, but they hit the field a few times.

Reactions: FalconPadre
Palatine Fremd had a streaker ... dude was tackled by police - RIGHT IN FRONT OF A GROUP OF GRADE SCHOOL GIRLS ... mine were shocked.

Same game - water balloon launching from the neighborhood - never caught those culprits, but they hit the field a few times.
Was this the pizza box streaker?

Falcon: Does your father-in-law realize he would have president of the United States if he had continued to date and eventually married her?

Hillary actually attended what is now Maine East her first 3 years of HS. When she couldn’t get elected class president there, she transferred to Maine South. She couldn’t win the election there either.

Remember when Jamie Petrikus (yes, his actual name - they were my neighbors) buzzed that little plane over Fremd? Had to been late 80’s.

I was at the streaker game and know the balloon launchers very well. Very fun guys! All a few years younger than me. All doing very well now. It was high school. Kids do stupid shit. I believe they got caught.

Remember when Jamie Petrikus (yes, his actual name - they were my neighbors) buzzed that little plane over Fremd? Had to been late 80’s.

I was at the streaker game and know the balloon launchers very well. Very fun guys! All a few years younger than me. All doing very well now. It was high school. Kids do stupid shit. I believe they got caught.
Late 80s ... I was still in high school down in Belleville. More recently though, from the same Hunting Ridge area, I was party to a drone flyover and hover ... I was not condoning it, advised against it ... but did watch the video feed.

Balloon launchers got caught? It must have been after the fact - I know the police did not get them that night. I checked ...

Most kids from that area do seem to end up doing well. Not shocked one bit. They had balls.

Damn shame - had the romantic notion they got away with it. Too much chatter.

Reactions: Gene K.
I don’t actually recall ... but I’m thinking now it was a Palatine V Fremd game - I was on the visitor side with my buddy who had a son on the Ptine team. My girls were on that side too with soccer teammates.
It’s always been at Palatine Fremd games. The one I’m talking about the kid was butt naked and got tackled by ppd and they made him cover up with pizza boxes as they arrested him.

Reactions: crusader_of_90

When I was a senior at St. Francis in the mid 80s a team we were playing had a kid that jumped offsides 4 straight times (same kid). At the end of the game he had jumped offsides 9 times. In the second half of the same game the opposing team was penalized for having too many players on the field on a play. After the referees walked off the 5 yards the clock started and my team broke the huddle. Right after we broke the huddle the refs tossed flags and called illegal substitution. The other teams coach stormed on the field and was screaming saying he had pulled the extra kid off the field. I was on the field standing right next to the ref that tossed the flag and heard him tell the opposing coach he had 13 kids on the first penalty and 12 on the second.

Last, at the end of a game against St. Eds a few weeks later, there was a huge fistfight between the teams. Benches cleared and St Ed coaches were involved (throwing punches). Even though the coaches never talked about what happened after, I later heard the IHSA got involved. It was SFs homecoming that night. My date got drunk and threw up all over me. As I dropped her off she had vomit all over her as 2 of her girlfriends and I helped her to the door. My friend who was driving a rusty Buick stationwagon from the Dark Ages kept screaming at the top of his lungs from the car not to kiss her goodnight. Everybody in the valley of Glen Ellyn heard him yelling that night. She was so wasted we had to undress her to get her cleaned up. I will never forget she wore hot pink undies that night. I still bring it up at every class reunion. Well, not in front of her husband.

We streaked at Naz once, but that was back when it was an all girls school on Park Rd.

A playoff game at Driscoll where the visiting team was sticking small yard signs all around the outside entrances to Driscoll's field and one of Driscoll's security guards followed them pulling the signs out of the ground and slinging them like frisbees.

State Semi final game Montini at Geneseo 1982. Montini was getting beat badly.

The Geneseo RB was running free for what looked like a 70 yard touchdown run down the Montini sideline. A Montini player on the sidelines jumped on to the field and tackled him. Could not believe it.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Montini vs JCA state title game. Jordan Westerkamp scored his 5th and last TD in the game and they put the Mic on him and he did not know it.

He says "MVP my a$$" referring Ty Isaac being voted IL MVP.

Montini vs JCA state title game. Jordan Westerkamp scored his 5th and last TD in the game and they put the Mic on him and he did not know it.

He says "MVP my a$$" referring Ty Isaac being voted IL MVP.
Don’t know how to post it but I still have that video on my phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: penlight
When I was a senior at St. Francis in the mid 80s a team we were playing had a kid that jumped offsides 4 straight times (same kid). At the end of the game he had jumped offsides 9 times. In the second half of the same game the opposing team was penalized for having too many players on the field on a play. After the referees walked off the 5 yards the clock started and my team broke the huddle. Right after we broke the huddle the refs tossed flags and called illegal substitution. The other teams coach stormed on the field and was screaming saying he had pulled the extra kid off the field. I was on the field standing right next to the ref that tossed the flag and heard him tell the opposing coach he had 13 kids on the first penalty and 12 on the second.

Last, at the end of a game against St. Eds a few weeks later, there was a huge fistfight between the teams. Benches cleared and St Ed coaches were involved (throwing punches). Even though the coaches never talked about what happened after, I later heard the IHSA got involved. It was SFs homecoming that night. My date got drunk and threw up all over me. As I dropped her off she had vomit all over her as 2 of her girlfriends and I helped her to the door. My friend who was driving a rusty Buick stationwagon from the Dark Ages kept screaming at the top of his lungs from the car not to kiss her goodnight. Everybody in the valley of Glen Ellyn heard him yelling that night. She was so wasted we had to undress her to get her cleaned up. I will never forget she wore hot pink undies that night. I still bring it up at every class reunion. Well, not in front of her husband.

this has to be one of the posts of the year!
You shoulda kept the HOT pink panties!

Hillary actually attended what is now Maine East her first 3 years of HS. When she couldn’t get elected class president there, she transferred to Maine South. She couldn’t win the election there either.

After not winning at Maine East, did that school get taken over by criminals and traitors?

ADVERTISEMENT