ADVERTISEMENT

Freshmen QB's

pjjp

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
It's been mentioned that IL has a good group of young QB's on the horizon. Some of the soph QB's have already had a big varsity impact (JJ McCarthy at Naz, the Antioch QB etc.). I saw Marist's Dontrell Jackson live against JCA. Just heard about Kaden Cobb of Fenwick. Both are impressive.

Dontrell Jackson:

Kaden Cobb:

Wow! Both look very impressive. Upon first blush, F’s QB has a better arm and better mechanics. M’s QB seems more mobile.

Dontrell & Kaden will be offered by multiple Power 5 schools when all is done. I've watched both of these qbs grow up and develop into studs that will be starting as sophs. Sky is the limit for both of them. Their parents are wonderful people and they have raised a couple of awesome kids. They are the top of the 2022 class in IL and possibly the Midwest. Varsity film will help their recruiting process alot. Huge fan!

Most of the time I just read the posts here, but Lake Park had a promising Freshman QB this past season. Pete Roll (son of LP Head Coach, Chris Roll) is a dual threat since he runs well in addition to having a nice arm. He also showed good ability playing safety.

Although I am no longer coaching at LP, I saw a number of Pete's games. He was more impressive than most of the QB's I observed in my many years of coaching (primarily at the Frosh level).

I believe he will continue to develop. I'm looking forward to watching his progress.

Haven't seen Lausch yet, but I've heard good things. Good JCA bloodlines, too.
He’s a great guy, big time Hilltopper supporter!! He was a big time Caravan backer too being fellow Carmelites. Losing Jack to BR didn’t help Lenti’s case very much.

I would welcome some confirmation of the following, but I believe Evergreen Park had a freshman QB lead that level to a 9-0 season, then he was brought up to play on the varsity for their 3 Class 5A playoff games. Please correct any mistakes in this info.

Reactions: Gene K.
Loyola Academy freshman QB Quinn Nimesheim is a terrific player. Strong and accurate arm, excellent runner and an excellent field general. Rarely did he make a wrong decision while leading his team to the freshman CCL crown against some great competition. He won’t be the tallest QB in the league but I don’t know how important that is in high school football.

Dontrelle Jackson played Wide Receiver in the semi final game versus Rice a few weeks ago he is just that athletic. Marist has a junior QB Mikesell who is not bad who i imagine will beat out Dontrelle for the starting QB spot of varsity next season which would most likely mean Jackson will start at WR on the varsity squad. This could hurt his QB ability in the future. Mikesell is a big kid so if he doesnt win QB battle he may be able to play WR as well. I see both kids on the field for every offensive play next year.

Freshman to Senior year is such a long time I’ve seen kids as freshmen who were studs but never developed and by Senior year were just an average player. On the flip side I have also seen kids split reps as a Freshman and develop into a Big Ten QB.

I never put much stock into underclassman with a bunch of offers since they are just a projection and most wont be commitable in two or three years if the kid doesn’t drastically improve.

Thornton must be loaded with QB's. The guy they had this year was pretty damn solid, but then to lose Dontrell and Sam Jacksons, both of which will be P5. That's gotta be tough.

Who is Sam Jackson?
Cousin I believe, he was our backup last year as a freshman. Transferred to NC and backed up Thorne while playing WR this season. Already has an offer from Minnesota and should step in as the starter next season

Dontrelle Jackson played Wide Receiver in the semi final game versus Rice a few weeks ago he is just that athletic. Marist has a junior QB Mikesell who is not bad who i imagine will beat out Dontrelle for the starting QB spot of varsity next season which would most likely mean Jackson will start at WR on the varsity squad. This could hurt his QB ability in the future. Mikesell is a big kid so if he doesnt win QB battle he may be able to play WR as well. I see both kids on the field for every offensive play next year.
I see Mikesell playing LB in college - I think Marist could put him at LB and he'd be very good on that side of the ball as well - otherwise TE type WR like Weisher was

Whoever QBs Marist will have Thompson to throw to. A Soph QB in the new blue will be baptism by fire for sure. If they plan to keep him at receiver though I doubt he’ll be back after Christmas break!

Jackson is IMG quality - otherwise always the chance he transfers to Thornton to play 3 years guaranteed QB starter for his dad
IMO, the only question on Jackson is his height. Cobb already has the height. He's just not as physically mature as Jackson. It will be interesting to watch how each develops in the next three years.

One side note on Cobb's above highlight tape, looked like he had some very nice athletes catching his passes. Looked like Fenwick has a nice group of freshmen around Cobb, which bodes very well for the Friars.

IMO, the only question on Jackson is his height. Cobb already has the height. He's just not as physically mature as Jackson. It will be interesting to watch how each develops in the next three years.

One side note on Cobb's above highlight tape, looked like he had some very nice athletes catching his passes. Looked like Fenwick has a nice group of freshmen around Cobb, which bodes very well for the Friars.
If they don't transfer to IC

Reactions: ignazio and Gene K.
Smyth the Senior to be should still get the nod but Lausch will be on Varsity - I can see them using him in a variety of ways as either a RB, WR and/or DB too. He's special but Smyth has a gun and while not as mobile as Lausch I'm thinking they'll get Smyth to lose a quick 10 pds and come into camp at 6'2 200

Smyth the Senior to be should still get the nod but Lausch will be on Varsity - I can see them using him in a variety of ways as either a RB, WR and/or DB too. He's special but Smyth has a gun and while not as mobile as Lausch I'm thinking they'll get Smyth to lose a quick 10 pds and come into camp at 6'2 200
TBH I think he would be an outstanding WR, even going forward...he’s tall, strong runner, athletic. He doesn’t have a cannon and could use those 10 pounds Smythe loses.

Reactions: Gene K. and Topiary
I know Lynch's brother will be QB for next 2 years at MC but who's his understudy coming up

I know Lynch's brother will be QB for next 2 years at MC but who's his understudy coming up
That’s a great question Top, I wish I knew, it’s going to be a problem area next year. Matejko packing up for BR last year didn’t help us and I could write 2 paragraphs on that mess as I’m very fimilar with the situation but it would violate about 4 Edgy No-No’s and I don’t want to get this thread flushed. He’s a good kid, but I don’t understand why he went to BR with Smyth there and Rice being pretty much dedicated to him. I thought he would have stayed home and gone to Munster or Andrean. He’s about 5’7 with cleats, he will end up at slot at BR unless there is an injury and then it could be Lausch.

Back to who would be the backup with the present roster, Tommy Egan QB’d the Sophomore team that went undefeated, yes it was the Green schedule and a running clock most games but they beat Maine South and Loyola. He was the best choice available since Lynch was on Varsity full time. He learned on the fly. He had a huge Oline, Ja’Shawn Moore at RB and a tremendous shutdown defense so he had a lot of help. He needs to put a lot of work in this off season and learn the position and offense more.

The freshman was s runner as well and smaller, but did a good job. This incoming class will be the first QB Jordan brings in to run his offense, we’ll wait and see who he got.

If Justin God forbid gets hurt I would think you’ll see a lot of Wildcat next year.

Last edited:
That’s a great question Top, I wish I knew, it’s going to be a problem area next year. Matejko packing up for BR last year didn’t help us and I could write 2 paragraphs on that mess as I’m very fimilar with the situation but it would violate about 4 Edgy No-No’s and I don’t want to get this thread flushed. He’s a good kid, but I don’t understand why he went to BR with Smyth there and Rice being pretty much dedicated to him. I thought he would have stayed home and gone to Munster or Andrean. He’s about 5’7 with cleats, he will end up at slot at BR unless there is an injury and then it could be Lausch.

Back to who would be the backup with the present roster, Tommy Egan QB’d the Sophomore team that went undefeated, yes it was the Green schedule and a running clock most games but they beat Maine South and Loyola. He was the best choice available since Lynch was on Varsity full time. He learned on the fly. He had a huge Oline, Ja’Shawn Moore at RB and a tremendous shutdown defense so he had a lot of help. He needs to put a lot of work in this off season and learn the position and offense more.

The freshman was s runner as well and smaller, but did a good job. This incoming class will be the first QB Jordan brings in to run his offense, we’ll wait and see who he got.

If Justin God forbid gets hurt I would think you’ll see a lot of Wildcat next year.
In my MC Organizational Depth Chart that is my area of concern. Hoping they have a stud freshman next year.

ADVERTISEMENT