ADVERTISEMENT

Football to move to the same date as wrestling

Little Kin

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2020
Football is moving to the same April start date as wrestling. With games starting the first week of May.

So they are playing in May and then again in August? Please explain.

Why would you want to play with all that equipment on in June and July?

Colleges are dropping most of the minor sports, minor not to the players but the schools. Enrollment in all sports had doubled, but those numbers will be sharply cut. Title IX will still be a factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Coaching staffs? Many medium and small schools with have a tough time filling rosters.

At some point schools are going to be forced to play the screwed up seasons, or pick and choose sports...your average 4A or smaller football school is not going to be able to do wrestling and football at the same time, or any mix of multiple season sports at the same time (football/baseball, basketball/baseball, etc.). Starting football practice while basketball is still going might work at big schools, but will be a headache at small schools - double practices every night, or a game & practice. Many small schools have experience with track/baseball doubles, but they build that into the system. Double other sports will be a problem...with coaches and players.

Sadly, the sport least consistent with playing another sport is football...mandatory practices will prevent kids from playing other sports.

This is a bit confusing to me. One person seems to suggest prep football games will be played in Illinois in May and June.
Someone then asked for the source of this information and none was offered.
Now, people are reacting to the report as if it is fact. Maybe it is. On the IHSA website I could not find that date change for football. Googling several phrases that referred to a football date change uncovered nothing. The issue here should be simple.
If this is fact then explain who decided on the change and where we can read about it.
If the change to a May start us just an opinion in reaction to Edgy Tim’s thought that spring football is not happening, then please just stArt the exact same thought with three simple words: In my opinion...
If this is fact there is a ton of stuff to talk about and debate. All we need is confirmation of this as fact or confirmation that it is an opinion. Thank you.

This is a bit confusing to me. One person seems to suggest prep football games will be played in Illinois in May and June.
Someone then asked for the source of this information and none was offered.
Now, people are reacting to the report as if it is fact. Maybe it is. On the IHSA website I could not find that date change for football. Googling several phrases that referred to a football date change uncovered nothing. The issue here should be simple.
If this is fact then explain who decided on the change and where we can read about it.
If the change to a May start us just an opinion in reaction to Edgy Tim’s thought that spring football is not happening, then please just stArt the exact same thought with three simple words: In my opinion...
If this is fact there is a ton of stuff to talk about and debate. All we need is confirmation of this as fact or confirmation that it is an opinion. Thank you.
Do we have an E.T. Deep Throat LOL?

At this point I'm seriously wondering if baseball or track will even be played this year, or if all sports will be cancelled. When the fall outdoor sports went (besides football), I had a real positive feeling that spring outdoor sports would be fine. But with the way the tide has shifted with government control, I'm having doubts.

At this point, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if this actually does happen. The answer will be simple from high above. “Kids and coaches have to choose, it’s this or nothing” people will figure out how to make it happen. Some schools will not play certain sports. Sadly I think football or wrestling will be the biggest dropped sport for smaller schools. Takes an army to field those sports. Basketball is simple with only needing 7 kids to make a roster to get a game in. Football needs probably at least 25-30???
This will be a killer to lower levels at big schools, but it can be done. Also toss in travel baseball and hoops into this equation. They will take as well. Could be a shell of a season but a shell is better then the dumpster fire it currently is.

Every travel baseball org I'm aware of in the south and north suburbs have moved their seasons to begin July 1 (at least HS level). Have seen a lot of schedules...I'm not sure that will as big an impact as people think. I will say that if they bang basketball/football then they should move baseball/softball up to original March start date

Every travel baseball org I'm aware of in the south and north suburbs have moved their seasons to begin July 1 (at least HS level). Have seen a lot of schedules...I'm not sure that will as big an impact as people think. I will say that if they bang basketball/football then they should move baseball/softball up to original March start date

My son's 16u travel schedule begins June 24th with a tourney at North Central.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT