ADVERTISEMENT

Final O'Fallon beats East St Louis

The story of the game was the O'Fallon defense, which was just flat out better than the Flyer offense. The Flyers' three scores came from a defensive pick 6 in O'Fallon territory, a punt return by the Cardinal Ritter transfer as well as an impressive reception by the Cardinal Ritter kid after a long Flyer drive. The O'Fallon D was just too much. O'Fallon's offense played well and benefited from good field position that was provided by their defense. The Flyers were obviously heavy favorites in this one, but throughout the game I never had the feeling that O'Fallon was lucky or fortunate as the Panthers just looked like the better team, even after not playing the past two weeks because of Covid protocols. An impressive and great win for the Panther program.

Has O'Fallon finally recovered after that Waubonsie Valley upset years ago?

The freshman QB played like a freshman today - but more so than that, O'Fallon played a damned good game!

O'fallon is a very well-funded large school. Lots of base families. Coach Byron Gettis took over in 2019 and we know what happened in 2020 ... maybe this was a surprise to everyone but them.

They played tremendously and if the Flyers get the chance to avenge the loss, they better be better - plain and simple.

I'm sure this spring game whipping of the 2020 JV team will force Sunk to completely re-think his scheduling going forward. Lockport should keep their phone handy.

The story of the game was the O'Fallon defense, which was just flat out better than the Flyer offense. The Flyers' three scores came from a defensive pick 6 in O'Fallon territory, a punt return by the Cardinal Ritter transfer as well as an impressive reception by the Cardinal Ritter kid after a long Flyer drive. The O'Fallon D was just too much. O'Fallon's offense played well and benefited from good field position that was provided by their defense. The Flyers were obviously heavy favorites in this one, but throughout the game I never had the feeling that O'Fallon was lucky or fortunate as the Panthers just looked like the better team, even after not playing the past two weeks because of Covid protocols. An impressive and great win for the Panther
The freshman QB played like a freshman today - but more so than that, O'Fallon played a damned good game!

O'fallon is a very well-funded large school. Lots of base families. Coach Byron Gettis took over in 2019 and we know what happened in 2020 ... maybe this was a surprise to everyone but them.

They played tremendously and if the Flyers get the chance to avenge the loss, they better be better - plain and simple.

I'm sure this spring game whipping of the 2020 JV team will force Sunk to completely re-think his scheduling going forward. Lockport should keep their phone handy.

Lockport
Why Lockport?

Interesting. It seems that everyone in the state has a vested interest in ESide losing. I wonder why?? (Rhetorically) I haven’t seen any ESL fans rushing over to any post when a heavily favored/powerhouse Chicagoland team experiencing an upset.

The story of the game was the O'Fallon defense, which was just flat out better than the Flyer offense. The Flyers' three scores came from a defensive pick 6 in O'Fallon territory, a punt return by the Cardinal Ritter transfer as well as an impressive reception by the Cardinal Ritter kid after a long Flyer drive. The O'Fallon D was just too much. O'Fallon's offense played well and benefited from good field position that was provided by their defense. The Flyers were obviously heavy favorites in this one, but throughout the game I never had the feeling that O'Fallon was lucky or fortunate as the Panthers just looked like the better team, even after not playing the past two weeks because of Covid protocols. An impressive and great win for the Panther program.
On this day, in this particular game, I can’t necessarily disagree with your take on it. A perfect storm worked in O’Fallon’s favor. Local games have a tendency of meaning much more to ESL’s opponents than it does to them, which at times causes the younger ESL kids to look beyond their opponents. It bit them somewhat terribly this time.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Interesting. It seems that everyone in the state has a vested interest in ESide losing. I wonder why?? (Rhetorically) I haven’t seen any ESL fans rushing over to any post when a heavily favored/powerhouse Chicagoland team experiencing an upset.
What’s even more interesting is it appears the grown ups on this site are the ones pumping this competition between ESL and the rest of the state. I’m guessing the players don’t think they’re invincible.

What’s even more interesting is it appears the grown ups on this site are the ones pumping this competition between ESL and the rest of the state. I’m guessing the players don’t think they’re invincible.
“Invincible”?????? Why the need to speak in extremes? We don’t need to be “invincible” to be arguably the most respected program in the state. It just is what it is.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
What’s the “wonder why??” part? I read one shot and a handful of exclamations.

Were you around when DLS beat MC in the regular season or Rochester smoked SR last year at state? 6 pages, 5k page views, and it wasn’t just MC/DLS/SR/Rocket posters. You are correct, the ESL faithful didn’t chime in. But yes when a powerhouse goes down regular season/postseason, it’s news. You either want to be the show or not.

Reactions: gw86
On this day, in this particular game, I can’t necessarily disagree with your take on it. A perfect storm worked in O’Fallon’s favor. Local games have a tendency of meaning much more to ESL’s opponents than it does to them, which at times causes the younger ESL kids to look beyond their opponents. It bit them somewhat terribly this time.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I think there's another side to the coin here though. While I'm sure that the Flyer's don't exactly get pumped up for playing most of the teams in the conference, which can hurt them, there's also a tendency for those same teams in the conference to be intimidated and completely lay down as well, which can help them. I don't think that we should take anything away from O'Fallon as they didn't win because of a bunch of strange happenings like numerous Flyer fumbles or anything like that. That O'Fallon defense absolutely took it to the Flyers and that was the story of the game. It doesn't happen often, but O'Fallon was without a doubt, the better team today.

Most people, not necessarily only on this site but in general, enjoy it when Mount Carmel loses too. And I get it....some people are envious of teams with a high winning tradition and it eventually turns into frustration because you want that for your team. Very common, nothing to get upset over. I hate the Yankees for that reason, I wish the Sox had all those WS Banners....but we don't.

Hey I tried to be supportive. Good luck with the rest of your season.
My apologies. I must have misinterpreted your statement to mean that ESL adult fans are the ones carrying on this way..... Most times from what I see, we’re simply defending our kid’s honor (win or lose). Not trying to put another school down in doing so, unlike countless others on this site.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think there's another side to the coin here though. While I'm sure that the Flyer's don't exactly get pumped up for playing most of the teams in the conference, which can hurt them, there's also a tendency for those same teams in the conference to be intimidated and completely lay down as well, which can help them. I don't think that we should take anything away from O'Fallon as they didn't win because of a bunch of strange happenings like numerous Flyer fumbles or anything like that. That O'Fallon defense absolutely took it to the Flyers and that was the story of the game. It doesn't happen often, but O'Fallon was without a doubt, the better team
I don't necessarily disagree, but I think there's another side to the coin here though. While I'm sure that the Flyer's don't exactly get pumped up for playing most of the teams in the conference, which can hurt them, there's also a tendency for those same teams in the conference to be intimidated and completely lay down as well, which can help them. I don't think that we should take anything away from O'Fallon as they didn't win because of a bunch of strange happenings like numerous Flyer fumbles or anything like that. That O'Fallon defense absolutely took it to the Flyers and that was the story of the game. It doesn't happen often, but O'Fallon was without a doubt, the better team today.
Did Eville lay down last week?

Did Eville lay down last week?
No, I wouldn't say that Eville laid down last week. Eville has consistently been the lone team in the conference that has been competition for the Flyers. Eville is just bad this year. lol Speaking of last week, O'Fallon didn't even play last week or the week before. That's hardly the recipe for a "perfect storm." Quite the opposite.

No, I wouldn't say that Eville laid down last week. Eville has consistently been the lone team in the conference that has been competition for the Flyers. Eville is just bad this year. lol Speaking of last week, O'Fallon didn't even play last week or the week before. That's hardly the recipe for a "perfect storm." Quite the opposite.
There are a lot of details that you are understandably unaware of. It was quite the perfect storm, in fact. I’ve attended EVERY ESL game since 2008; and almost all of them every season before. But, if you won’t take my word for it, you’re entitled to not do so; your choice. Just keep watching, I’ll revisit this with you in the next couple weeks.

There are a lot of details that you are understandably unaware of. It was quite the perfect storm, in fact. I’ve attended EVERY ESL game since 2008; and almost all of them every season before. But, if you won’t take my word for it, you’re entitled to not do so; your choice. Just keep watching, I’ll revisit this with you in the next couple weeks.
Ok, so basically you don't want to give credit where it's due. No worries, as you've already mentioned, we're both entitled to our own opinions. With that being said, congratulations (with no asterisk or "but" attached) to the O'Fallon Panthers on a big win! It's tough enough to get a win against the Flyers, but to do it on the road after not having played for two weeks... color me impressed.

Ok, so basically you don't want to give credit where it's due. No worries, as you've already mentioned, we're both entitled to our own opinions. With that being said, congratulations (with no asterisk or "but" attached) to the O'Fallon Panthers on a big win! It's tough enough to get a win against the Flyers, but to do it on the road after not having played for two weeks... color me impressed.
Ofallon won the game and hats off to them. Having two weeks off in a short spring season with absolutely no preseason is actually an advantage considering the amount of injuries that are taking place week to week. The win is legit for Ofallon and that’s that!

ESL won’t make any excuses. Just come out play ball.

Ofallon won the game and hats off to them. Having two weeks off in a short spring season with absolutely no preseason is actually an advantage considering the amount of injuries that are taking place week to week. The win is legit for Ofallon and that’s that!

ESL won’t make any excuses. Just come out play ball.
Have to agree to disagree about the two weeks off. I think that if this season was longer and a team got a two week break towards the middle or end of a long season, it might be beneficial if players are banged up, but not with such a shortened season. Becoming a well-oiled machine takes time. What's extra impressive about O'Fallon's win is that they had only played one game before missing two weeks, which was hardly enough time to fine tune things and pretty disruptive. There's no doubt that injuries can cause a team to decline as the season goes on, but I think the general consensus is that generally speaking, teams tend to get better as the season goes on because they're able to get they're timing down, learn plays, get used to full contact, etc.. O'Fallon had their share of penalties yesterday, which I think reflected that to some degree, but I think that we all have to really take our hats off for that O'Fallon coach and his staff for being able to get those kids ready to play like they did. Very impressive!

Have to agree to disagree about the two weeks off. I think that if this season was longer and a team got a two week break towards the middle or end of a long season, it might be beneficial if players are banged up, but not with such a shortened season. Becoming a well-oiled machine takes time. What's extra impressive about O'Fallon's win is that they had only played one game before missing two weeks, which was hardly enough time to fine tune things and pretty disruptive. There's no doubt that injuries can cause a team to decline as the season goes on, but I think the general consensus is that generally speaking, teams tend to get better as the season goes on because they're able to get they're timing down, learn plays, get used to full contact, etc.. O'Fallon had their share of penalties yesterday, which I think reflected that to some degree, but I think that we all have to really take our hats off for that O'Fallon coach and his staff for being able to get those kids ready to play like they did. Very impressive!
You know what...... ESL hadn’t lost a game in the SWC since 2015, and I don’t recall you ever providing any favorable commentary or hats-off to ESL in all of those years. ESL was missing six key players on yesterday and has been without three of them since week 2. Miles McVay did not play at all yesterday. He did play when we steamrolled Eville last week and any other team that we had faced prior. The OLine was without its two key players requiring two underclassmen who had never played a down of varsity to be called up on 1 day before the game. Ground game was severely compromised due to this. The 40 mph winds took away the normally highly effective passing game; these are a few of the reasons why I rightfully called it the perfect storm. ESL played its worst game in years on yesterday. Regardless, did O’Fallon win on yesterday? YES! Congratulations to them; they eked out a victory against ESL. But, I would simply advise you to be slow in your judgement. But, again you are absolutely entitled to not heed my advice.

Last edited:
You know what...... ESL hadn’t lost a game in the SWC since 2015, and I don’t recall you ever providing any favorable commentary or hats-off to ESL in all of those years. ESL was missing six key players on yesterday and has been without three of them since week 2. Miles McVay did not play at all yesterday. He did play when we steamrolled Eville last week and any other team that we had faced prior. The OLine was without its two key players requiring two underclassmen who had never played a down of varsity to be called up on 1 day before the game. Ground game was severely compromised due to this. The 40 mph winds took away the normally highly effective passing game; these are a few of the reasons why I rightfully called it the perfect storm. ESL played its worst game in years on yesterday. Regardless, did O’Fallon win on yesterday? YES! Congratulations to them; they eked out a victory against ESL. But, I would simply advise you to be slow in your judgement. But, again you are absolutely entitled to not heed my advice.
PBM calls fair balls and strikes regarding SW Conference sports. He's an Eville guy but I think is a Flyer fan too, who does get frustrated with some things that happen there. But his assessment is dead-nuts accurate here.

You know what...... ESL hadn’t lost a game in the SWC since 2015, and I don’t recall you ever providing any favorable commentary or hats-off to ESL in all of those years. ESL was missing six key players on yesterday and has been without three of them since week 2. Miles McVay did not play at all yesterday. He did play when we steamrolled Eville last week and any other team that we had faced prior. The OLine was without its two key players requiring two underclassmen who had never played a down of varsity to be called up on 1 day before the game. Ground game was severely compromised due to this. The 40 mph winds took away the normally highly effective passing game; these are a few of the reasons why I rightfully called it the perfect storm. ESL played its worst game in years on yesterday. Regardless, did O’Fallon win on yesterday? YES! Congratulations to them; they eked out a victory against ESL. But, I would simply advise you to be slow in your judgement.
If you don't recall me ever having any favorable commentary towards ESL then it's because you've simply chosen not to, as I, along with many (probably most) of the posters on this forum have always been complimentary of the Flyer program. Now you're just coming across as spiteful and / or a sore loser, which seems to have clouded your ability to tell the difference between the few on this board that are haters of the ESL program and the many that are fans of the ESL program. I'm not an O'Fallon guy. I'm from Edwardsville even though I don't have any family in Edwardsville as most of my family is from Venice and EAST ST. LOUIS. I have countless friends, family members and fraternity brothers that are alumni of both Eastside and Lincoln. At the end of the day, I'm much, much more of a Flyer fan than I am a Panther fan, but that isn't going to stop me from giving credit to O'Fallon for a huge win over the defending state champs and #1 ranked team in the state. That's kind of a big deal and worthy of note, particularly on a forum dedicated to Illinois highschool football.

If you don't recall me ever having any favorable commentary towards ESL then it's because you've simply chosen not to, as I, along with many (probably most) of the posters on this forum have always been complimentary of the Flyer program. Now you're just coming across as spiteful and / or a sore loser, which seems to have clouded your ability to tell the difference between the few on this board that are haters of the ESL program and the many that are fans of the ESL program. I'm not an O'Fallon guy. I'm from Edwardsville even though I don't have any family in Edwardsville as most of my family is from Venice and EAST ST. LOUIS. I have countless friends, family members and fraternity brothers that are alumni of both Eastside and Lincoln. At the end of the day, I'm much, much more of a Flyer fan than I am a Panther fan, but that isn't going to stop me from giving credit to O'Fallon for a huge win over the defending state champs and #1 ranked team in the state. That's kind of a big deal and worthy of note, particularly on a forum dedicated to Illinois highschool football.
You’ll never quite understand. Being “affiliated” with ESL and being from ESL are miles apart from one another in terms of personal experiences. Truth is, if everything was as kind, respectful, and sportsmanlike between the fellow SWC member schools and ESL, we never would have been disallowed (voted against) to play up. So yes, when ESL is representing downstate anywhere else in the state (which we are traditionally and consistently the only SWC school to do so) , it’s all kudos to the Flyers from the likes of you. But, when there’s an internal battle within the SWC, it’s everyone but the Flyers. Urban linguistics refer to this as dry-hating. So, as I said, I have seen no favorable commentary from you regarding the Flyers in their countless victories over SWC opponents, Eville (of course) or otherwise. I could be wrong, but I really don’t think so.

You’ll never quite understand. Being “affiliated” with ESL and being from ESL are miles apart from one another in terms of personal experiences. Truth is, if everything was as kind, respectful, and sportsmanlike between the fellow SWC member schools and ESL, we never would have been disallowed (voted against) to play up. So yes, when ESL is representing downstate anywhere else in the state (which we are traditionally and consistently the only SWC school to do so) , it’s all kudos to the Flyers from the likes of you. But, when there’s an internal battle within the SWC, it’s everyone but the Flyers. Urban linguistics refer to this as dry-hating. So, as I said, I have seen no favorable commentary from you regarding the Flyers in their countless victories over SWC opponents, Eville (of course) or otherwise. I could be wrong, but I really don’t think so.
I never said that I was from ESL. I brought up my connection to the city to clear up your ridiculous insinuation that I'm some kind of ESL hater. And I'm about as interested in your personal experiences as you are in mine. I'm also not in need of a lesson in urban linguistics, thank you. Lastly, your beef with the SWC has nothing to do with me. I don't have any say in the decisions that are made, but if I did, the Flyers would be able to play up a class or two. That was a bad decision. The only time that I root against the Flyers (my 2nd favorite team) is when they are playing against Edwardsville (my favorite team) and when the Flyers win, I'm not exactly devastated about it, but instead congratulatory. I don't think that Flyers wins over SWC teams that aren't particularly good is thread worthy. There's no history of me posting about Edwardsville beating those teams either. I don't think anyone on this forum has ever been particularly interested in or excited about ESL (or Edwardsville) wins over former SWC foes like Collinsville, Granite City or the consistently struggling Belleville schools. I don't share your grudge against the SWC. Outside of games against Edwardsville and Eastside, I root for SWC teams and other teams from the 618 when playing against teams from outside of the area. Likewise, when teams from all over the state play against teams from outside of the state, I root for the Illinois team. I'm sometimes partial towards the St. Louis MO side as well. So yeah, you're wrong... extremely wrong. Take that info and do whatever you like with it.

Yes we can agree to disagree. The weight program is crucial for football. Teams weren’t able to lift between late October and February. That is huge when it comes to injuries. Why do you think so many college programs called it quits. We are not talking a regular season here. We are talking about a compact season with the same type of physical play. It is what it is.

Yes we can agree to disagree. The weight program is crucial for football. Teams weren’t able to lift between late October and February. That is huge when it comes to injuries. Why do you think so many college programs called it quits. We are not talking a regular season here. We are talking about a compact season with the same type of physical play. It is what it is.
Some teams were in this situation (not lifting as a team between Oct/Feb), but other than a few shutdowns during that time, they were in the weight room and those that weren't were finding ways to get their lifts in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT