ADVERTISEMENT

Enrollments are out

Herscher down to 527, smaller than IC...definite drop to 3A

Peotone plummets again, down to 493...

McNamara up, 347 / 572.55

Are these enrollments using the new average of the last 2 years?

Carmel Catholic to 5A if they qualify. Waiver is in effect. An enrollment of 1205 puts them there.

They are multiplied this year. If they don't win a playoff game it goes away next year according to IHSA site.

On closer look Rita would have been 6a once in the last ten seasons based on their football enrollment rank (112) in the state.

Guerin has 324, while IC only has 321 students?

Seems weird that with all the success in all sports that IC has experienced over the past few years their enrollment would be much higher than ours.

Guerin has 324, while IC only has 321 students?

Seems weird that with all the success in all sports that IC has experienced over the past few years their enrollment would be much higher than ours.
That’s all they’re bringing in, paying a premium for em too. Driscoll 2.0 building over there.

IC had a multiplied enrollment of 346.50 in 2007 which is a population of 210 as compared to a population of 321 10 years later. That is trending in the right direction. Guerin is a result of a merger of Mother Guerin and Holy Cross once very big schools, both great places, the student population was declining at a steady pace thus the merger. I hope that both schools thrive and continue to educate many young people.

Rice had a very low incoming freshman class so it’s very possible they could be 7A and I think they would be fine with that

Rice had a very low incoming freshman class so it’s very possible they could be 7A and I think they would be fine with that
True one of our lowest ever - but we just had Burns retire so look out southside, impressive changes coming at Rice now that anchor is leaving

True one of our lowest ever - but we just had Burns retire so look out southside, impressive changes coming at Rice now that anchor is leaving
Did he go? I know their was a petition circulating....any idea who is replacing him? This could be the gamechanger.

Did he go? I know their was a petition circulating....any idea who is replacing him? This could be the gamechanger.
He announced retirement - he will be on until replacemen comes and will be paid up until end of 2018. If he had not retired I think the Board and Trustees and would have fired him. But he would have put up a stink and it would have been messy. So the Search Committee has been convened and job notice will go out next week. Hire by 8/15 and then a new beginning. I already heard that new Board Chair (Kramer) is initiating new capital campaign. A lot of larger donors who stopped when Burns was President now coming back into the fold. Faculty seemed rejuvenated too

Reactions: ssczar76
He announced retirement - he will be on until replacemen comes and will be paid up until end of 2018. If he had not retired I think the Board and Trustees and would have fired him. But he would have put up a stink and it would have been messy. So the Search Committee has been convened and job notice will go out next week. Hire by 8/15 and then a new beginning. I already heard that new Board Chair (Kramer) is initiating new capital campaign. A lot of larger donors who stopped when Burns was President now coming back into the fold. Faculty seemed rejuvenated too
Isn’t Albers replacing him?

I agree Rita will probably 7A, but that number is decreasing year by year. Basically, it's always been in the 2000's. With a number like 1897, it's getting close.

1897 was 6a 8-10 years ago. This state is losing residents by the tens of thousands.

No - Bob is the new Principal (academic head only). My guess is a local alum (some good candidates around).
When did Presidents of schools come into play? When I was at MC Fr. Carroll was the Principal and he ruled the roost, I don’t recall there being a President

When did Presidents of schools come into play? When I was at MC Fr. Carroll was the Principal and he ruled the roost, I don’t recall there being a President
Yeah a lot of schools went to this model years ago - I'm not a big fan per se especially with declining enrollments all around. Typically the President reports to the Board and is responsible for administration (technically the Principal reports to them). Still this is a good change for Rice

Chicago - Naperville - Elgin listed as the highest migration out of state from 2010-2017 at almost 300k. The number two was 93k and number 3 was 60k. That tells a big story of over taxation and job migration as well.

1897 was 6a 8-10 years ago. This state is losing residents by the tens of thousands.

Um, a guy named Ned is on the phone for you.... I think he’s a president who mad a major decision & “came into play”. Ill show myself to the door because that was too easy.

Reactions: lkhammer57
Um, a guy named Ned is on the phone for you.... I think he’s a president who mad a major decision & “came into play”. Ill show myself to the door because that was too easy.
Question was when Presidents came into play at schools, obviously I know who the President is now.

There is a lot of administrative waist in High Schools Public and Private. Private schools have more than doubled their staff in last 20 years and few, if any, have more students now.

There is a lot of administrative waist in High Schools Public and Private. Private schools have more than doubled their staff in last 20 years and few, if any, have more students now.

20 plus years ago they did not need to recruit and fund raise. The schools were simply buildings. Technology was not changing the shape of rooms and enrollment simply paid for what was needed and everyone had enough students to share the wealth

Now...buildings need to be replaced and students need to be recruited and by that I do not mean athletes I mean every student that walks in.

I heard the fundraising at Rice dropped because at some point Burns became the guy that sat in his chair and really pissed people off....mostly donors.

This is a major task for the Board at Rice to get it right as that role is huge now a days.

20 plus years ago they did not need to recruit and fund raise. The schools were simply buildings. Technology was not changing the shape of rooms and enrollment simply paid for what was needed and everyone had enough students to share the wealth

Now...buildings need to be replaced and students need to be recruited and by that I do not mean athletes I mean every student that walks in.

I heard the fundraising at Rice dropped because at some point Burns became the guy that sat in his chair and really pissed people off....mostly donors.

This is a major task for the Board at Rice to get it right as that role is huge now a days.
Granted it's just an opinion, but I believe Burns had a detrimental effect on fundraising, staff morale and even recruiting/enrollment. This was a needed change and we wish Burns nothing but the best. However, as an alum I think you need a local guy who went to Rice who can relate to both alumns and of course with parents/kids and who comes across as embodying the mission of the school and Edmund Rice yet can still be firm. There are some good candidates.

Reactions: Gene K.
Granted it's just an opinion, but I believe Burns had a detrimental effect on fundraising, staff morale and even recruiting/enrollment. This was a needed change and we wish Burns nothing but the best. However, as an alum I think you need a local guy who went to Rice who can relate to both alumns and of course with parents/kids and who comes across as embodying the mission of the school and Edmund Rice yet can still be firm. There are some good candidates.

Edgy maybe split this into a new thread?

That role needs to be filled by someone that can bolster the school outside of the four walls. The main component is fund raising from real donors that can impact the school. These schools need that more than enrollment. That is what keeps De La Salle chugging along.

Yeah a lot of schools went to this model years ago - I'm not a big fan per se especially with declining enrollments all around. Typically the President reports to the Board and is responsible for administration (technically the Principal reports to them). Still this is a good change for Rice

The old model worked when priests, brothers and nuns were a dime a dozen...literally.

Now, schools must pay a predominantly lay faculty and staff a living wage. Tuition doesn't cover it all. Schools need to upgrade their facilities, and tuition covers none of that. Fundraising has become critical to the life of a private school.

You can't have one person take the point for both academics and operations/mission advancement. That is trying to fit the old model into the new reality. It would result in one person doing too many things in a mediocre way, and too few things well.

Someone needs to take the point on mission advancement that includes fundraising, marketing, and recruitment. Be the face of the school. That's the President. He or she needs to ensure the financial stability of the school and carry out the school's strategic direction. He or she needs to hire a Principal to stay on top of the academic side of the operation and keep it strong.

Last edited:

There are fewer and fewer families willing and able to pay private school tuition. In Chicago, there are fewer and fewer families, period. The exodus of families from Chicago to the burbs and out of state, combined with the popularity of CPS selective enrollment schools, has negatively impacted schools like DePaul Prep, DLS, Rice, McAuley, etc. from an enrollment perspective. Imagine where private schools would be enrollment-wise if they hadn't beefed up their staff resources.

Where would MC be if it hadn't invested in staff resources to raise the funds to build its Convocation Center and new wing? And the improved athletic fields? Where would it be in 10 years without the current capital campaign?

Adapt or die.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Edgy maybe split this into a new thread?

That role needs to be filled by someone that can bolster the school outside of the four walls. The main component is fund raising from real donors that can impact the school. These schools need that more than enrollment. That is what keeps De La Salle chugging along.
I can't emphasize this enough to people about how important that president or superintendent role is! Without a strong leader of the school, the place is doomed to struggle and possibly fail and close doors. I look from personal experience at my alma mater Marian Central Catholic, we will now be onto our 5th superintendent in 5 years, (possibly 6 in 6 years depending how long it take them to hire a new one). This lack of leadership has led to frustration from alumni and has resulted in more lack of interest of the school from alumni, and especially young alumni. People sometimes over look the young alumni, but the 5 year reunion is a key year for schools. It is the first and best opportunity to get alumni who are on the fence about caring and wanting to be apart of the school, back to support in some type of way. After the 5 year reunion it becomes harder and harder to get people back at each reunion year. That is a scary thought for when those young alumni are at a point where they can make sizable donations.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT