ADVERTISEMENT

Egregious Continuity Errors in Football Movies

DeanOfSelection

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
Let's start with Rudy. Joliet Catholic is depicted as a co-ed school. This was the not the case until 1990. Also, in the scene when Rudy first walks onto Notre Dame's football field from the end zone, the Goal Post is at the end of the end zone. NCAA goal posts were not moved to the back of the end zone until 1974, so the goal post should have still been on the goal line in 1972!!!!!!

Let's start with Rudy. Joliet Catholic is depicted as a co-ed school. This was the not the case until 1990. Also, in the scene when Rudy first walks onto Notre Dame's football field from the end zone, the Goal Post is at the end of the end zone. NCAA goal posts were not moved to the back of the end zone until 1974, so the goal post should have still been on the goal line in 1972!!!!!!
Wasn't it the actual Mt. Carmel football team that portrayed the players from Joliet Catholic in the movie?

I had Walnut Heights by two touchdowns all along.

Ampipe's 52 stack monster defense was useless against their passing game.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Also, When Rudy's family is arriving for the game in which Rudy plays, Rudy's dad is the first one off the bus. On the side of the bus, near the door, is an Illinois Fuel Tax/Road Tax sticker used in 1992. It is light purple in color.

Reactions: ignazio
I had Walnut Heights by two touchdowns all along.

Ampipe's 52 stack monster defense was useless against their passing game.

Fantastic Movie. Why didn't the coach take a knee in the endzone in that bad weather and punt that ball into the mud somewhere instead of handing it off to "The Vooch" who is a fullback that doesn't get a lot of carries to begin with;)!! Wait - that has shades of Fenwick/PFN except they didn't want to punt nor take the safety... whats a coach suppose to do:)....

Reactions: 1111SouthFirst
Everybody's amazement, players and coaches included, in Varsity Blues when they run 5-wide.

Early in Rudy, the scene where the coach (apparently Gordie) is talking to the players before their last game he mentions preparing for the Caravan. In looking it up, JC-MC did not play that season (or really much at all in those decades) and I don't believe they have ever played week 9.

That and the red uniforms. And the coed school. And how every member of the family goes by their first name but the main character is the only one afforded the "Rudy" nickname.

Still love that movie.

In the Marx Brothers movie "Horsefeathers," the brothers are playing for Huxley College against rival, Darwin. The score is 12-0 in Darwin's favor late in the 4th quarter. Harpo scores a TD for Huxley and the PAT is converted to make the score 12-7. However, Huxley receives the ensuing kickoff and they go down and score another TD to win the game as time runs out.

https://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=...5568E&s_chn=prt_nav-control-3-g&v_t=comsearch

Reactions: ignazio
00c4f235ff37d42dd519b7d2dbbaf0ef84af731777bca49c865e5405816ccb07_1.jpg

In the Blind Side, Michael Oher was born in 1986 and would have been a freshman in high school around 2000 or 2001. The football team was wearing UA jerseys; UA didn't come out with football uniforms until sometime after 2010. Maryland I believe was the first college team sponsored by UA starting around 2014.

Auburn began wearing UA uniforms in the mid 2000s but I agree that they weren't around in 2000, but perhaps I'm wrong.

In Brian's Song, they both used a term that would get you suspended by the league.

Either that, or performing the halftime show at the Super Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT