ADVERTISEMENT

Ed Farmer St. Rita Alum and White Sox announcer passed away.

tomloner

Gold Member
Sep 21, 2004
Chicago
Ed was a little ahead of me in school. He was a heck of an athlete. Known for baseball at 6'5" he was pretty good basketball player too. The trib article relates how his father wanted him to play football at ND. Besides being the Sox announcer he was a strong advocate for transplant patients. Ed was a kidney transplant recipient. I’ve had a painful history of kidney stones. In a follow up visit to the most painful one of eleven a CAT scan found a spot on liver which lead to my transplant. I got a very kind note from him during my transplant recovery. But that was only thing we had in common other than being alums. Ed had those 5 inches on me for basketball and on the baseball field he was just too fast for me to hit. I had to work full time during my summers but tying to hit him trying out for the baseball team made that decision easy for me.

The Mustang family lost a good guy yesterday

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...0200402-7rjvytltyfccddlnrcchs57rvi-story.html

If you grew up on the SouthSide you knew 10 types of Ed Farmers at different points in their lives. There will always be only one Farmio but many were cut of the same cloth that was the fabric of our city

the guy bustin your chops about what HS you went to

the guy talking ND Xs and Os with you after Sunday mass

the guy asking you what parish your from and not what neighborhood

the guy at the end of the neighborhood bar holding court, telling tales that were Homeric

the guy that asks “How’s Mom” first

the SouthSide, Chicago, Sox and Baseball communities lost an original, never to be duplicated or forgotten

RIP

ADVERTISEMENT